OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I like this style. It's extremely stylized and exaggerated, but it's also got character to it. Something about it reminds me of Samurai Jack.

Samurai Jack always reminded me of Bionicle XD

In particular, MNOG and the Online Animations.

Why are you all (sans Lucina, since she's supporting the new style) hating on the art style? Would you rather have nothing? It looks awesome, too!

I like it, but the overview of Okoto is meh. No Slizer-borders, please

Yeah, its basically Mata Nui with borders... hope its just for the preview...

Well, there goes 10 years of story down the drain :/

I know >.<

Just in case anybody missed it, here is a picture from NYCC showing how the new mask-heads/faces look like:

Clip on, like many guessed, wich I find very interesting.

Aso, it appears to be using the same eye piece that came in 2004.

Totally not backwards compatible though, wich I find a major bummer...

It's a new eyepiece. I know, because thanks to last night's Lego store event in New York I am now the proud owner of one (along with many of the other new parts). The eyepiece actually works as a lever which knocks the mask off the head, thus simulating the play feature of the 2001 Toa with a stronger connection. And the masks can attach to a LOT of things—as I suspected, they can basically snap around most parts that feature a 2M axle or cross-axle hole.

I might post the figure I built as a MOC topic sometime soon? In any case, I can answer questions about most of the new parts for those who are wondering.

Really? So that would mean that the agori type heads could wear these new masks?

• Upvote 2

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

I like this style. It's extremely stylized and exaggerated, but it's also got character to it. Something about it reminds me of Samurai Jack.

Samurai Jack always reminded me of Bionicle XD

In particular, MNOG and the Online Animations.

Why are you all (sans Lucina, since she's supporting the new style) hating on the art style? Would you rather have nothing? It looks awesome, too!

I like it, but the overview of Okoto is meh. No Slizer-borders, please

Yeah, its basically Mata Nui with borders... hope its just for the preview...

Well, there goes 10 years of story down the drain :/

I know >.<

Just in case anybody missed it, here is a picture from NYCC showing how the new mask-heads/faces look like:

Clip on, like many guessed, wich I find very interesting.

Aso, it appears to be using the same eye piece that came in 2004.

Totally not backwards compatible though, wich I find a major bummer...

It's a new eyepiece. I know, because thanks to last night's Lego store event in New York I am now the proud owner of one (along with many of the other new parts). The eyepiece actually works as a lever which knocks the mask off the head, thus simulating the play feature of the 2001 Toa with a stronger connection. And the masks can attach to a LOT of things—as I suspected, they can basically snap around most parts that feature a 2M axle or cross-axle hole.

I might post the figure I built as a MOC topic sometime soon? In any case, I can answer questions about most of the new parts for those who are wondering.

WHAT. So the masks CAN attach to other things other than the heads? That head and mask system just got even better!!! :br:

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

So Asian/anime vibe huh? Does anyone else think that an actual bionicle anime show would be amazing? Like normal anime style drawings and such but with bionicles. Would be epic.

I don't really want to see the Hau's eye sockets inflate to half the size of its face, thank you.

I don't think they would do that with the eyes and you sir are pretty ignorant there are plenty of anime where they don't make the eyes huge. Anime is a wonderful cartoon style that can convey battle and fight scenes much better then American styles along with depending on the show the writing can be excellent.

I don't believe the TTV speculation because I was also at the panel and the phrase "It's a reboot" was used at least a dozen times, and all without the word "soft" in front of it. Also, the phrase was never uttered in our interviews with the same BIONICLE story and set and entire franchise employees either. There was a bit about the mask of time mentioned by a couple LEGO employees, and yes, references to it being the full mask were indeed used. TTV's "confirmed facts" list is a conflation of actual facts, and misconstrued LEGO comments.

It was a TTV podcast member who used the term "soft reboot" in an interview to get the employee to agree to it. The idea of these toa being the original ones is both right and wrong. They are not the same characters as the ones we had before- they are NOT going to be the original characters who we kept up with for ten years. They are new iterations of those characters, and that is what TLG meant when they mentioned "we're using the original toa". The Mask of Time reference was indeed used, but not in a way to imply the old characters moved to the new continuity via time travel- rather it seemed to us there to hear that discussion as well (since the TTV guys recorded it like three feet from us at the booth) that the reference was more like "we're using elements from the original, like you know how the original they had the character making the mask of time from the disks? And then you ended up with half a mask? We're going to have the full mask."

I can see where the confusion would come in, but I don't in the slightest believe this was a "it's a soft reboot" mention. Definitely seems like a conflation of terms mixed with some leading and confusing questions from TTV, and some speculation that has worked its way into their facts list.

• Upvote 15

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Y-y-you already HAVE ONE!?!??!

*cries*

The function of those eye pieces sounds really cool.

We’ve reached a bit of a lull period, so I’m going to type out what we know about Bionicle 2015 very quickly. We got a lot of information, from the new location to the reboot clarification to a hint directed at the Kanohi Vahi (the Mask of Time).

All this information came from official Lego sources, Lego employees and people directly overseeing the franchise. They were all very gracious and very enthusiastic about the line. This is only what we have as of 4pm EST. We will make a new article if any new things are released come the VIP Event tonight.

(Note: 2001-2010 is nicknamed by us as the Mataverse, we’re also calling the new line the Nuvaverse. Not official names, just for better references).

Story:

• It’s a reboot, but a soft reboot
  • The story revolves around two Maskmakers, Ekimu and Makuta, who wear the Mask of Creation and the Mask of Control, respectively. Makuta decided to create the Mask of Ultimate Power, a Mask that controlled all of the elements, but in doing so cast him and his brother into a deep slumber.
  • Okoto is a new island that is reminiscent of Mata Nui but has mountain barriers that separate the element locations.
  • The “Protectors” are the main villagers of Okoto. However, the set Protectors are the elders of the villiage.
  • There are no Matoran or Turaga on Okoto.

• The original Toa awaken without any memory and have forgotten that they are heroes.
  • The reboot was compared to the “Star Trek movies” reboot, where there is a connection to the old universe.
  • There is a Temple of Time on Okoto.
  • There are hints that the original Kanohi Vahi from the Mataverse is only half a mask. More hints were also given towards it being involved with time travel. It could possibly leave the original universe open to continuation and the other half being formed in the Nuvaverse.
  • Specialized terms have been dropped. Certain things have been dropped, certain things have been retained (such as Toa).
  • Bionicle will have several minute long animations that will be released on the website. They are 2D flash animations that were significantly inspired and based on the Mata Nui Online Game. They also bear a slight similarity to the Mixel animations.
  • The story will mostly be told in books in the later half of 2015. They are currently looking at writers (emphasis on the plural) for it. Comics/other media were not mentioned.
  • Masks are connected from the sides of the head. The new heads also have faces and noses. The masks are firmly attached but can be knocked off.
  • Sets are all made with alternate “modes” for the weapons. The designers called this “Adrenaline Mode”.
  • It is planned for a three-year storyline, but that’s general Lego planning. There’s a good possibility that it might continue beyond that, but information isn’t freely given out.

Here’s what we theorize (gleaned from these answers, not official in the slightest):

• Time Trap was also mentioned when discussing the Kanohi Vahi. There is probably some link between the Temple of Time and the second half of the Kanohi Vahi…possibly. Also Krakua?
  • There are no Kanohi powers mentioned in the bios, and the video mentions that Masks can only hold one element (and that the Mask of Ultimate Control was made to control them all). We think that means that Kanohi powers are not in the Nuvaverse and that the Toa use them to “master” their element.
  • We mentioned Mata Nui; we were given an acknowledgement but no further information on him in the Nuvaverse.
  • When asked about the Kanohi, we were told that there is something that the Golden Masks give the Toa that they need in order to win. That was the extent of it.

So there you have it. We’ll give you more when we get it. Until then, stay tuned! Follow @thethreevirtues@illustriousvar and @thejonathanjuan for immediate live tweeting and story bites!

Right, so its confirmed its an alternate reality?

Thats... really really really cool actually!

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

About the masks, my evaluation of them is that it seems the ones the Toa wear or masks in general are powerless as there is no official information concerning that they do, aside from the MoUP. However, the promotional video did say that the Mask Makers forged Masks of Power from the Elements, which could tell us one of either two things: one, that the masks the Toa wear are actually the source of their elemental power or two, that the gold masks are actually masks that do have powers and those are what the Toa are actually looking for. I suspect the latter.

Also, an appearance of a second half the Vahi in this universe and having it be a link between the "Maraverse" and the "Nuvaverse" would be amazing! But of course that is all speculation now :P

Edited by Kuurai

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

I don't believe the TTV speculation because I was also at the panel and the phrase "It's a reboot" was used at least a dozen times, and all without the word "soft" in front of it. Also, the phrase was never uttered in our interviews with the same BIONICLE story and set and entire franchise employees either. There was a bit about the mask of time mentioned by a couple LEGO employees, and yes, references to it being the full mask were indeed used. TTV's "confirmed facts" list is a conflation of actual facts, and misconstrued LEGO comments.

It was a TTV podcast member who used the term "soft reboot" in an interview to get the employee to agree to it. The idea of these toa being the original ones is both right and wrong. They are not the same characters as the ones we had before- they are NOT going to be the original characters who we kept up with for ten years. They are new iterations of those characters, and that is what TLG meant when they mentioned "we're using the original toa". The Mask of Time reference was indeed used, but not in a way to imply the old characters moved to the new continuity via time travel- rather it seemed to us there to hear that discussion as well (since the TTV guys recorded it like three feet from us at the booth) that the reference was more like "we're using elements from the original, like you know how the original they had the character making the mask of time from the disks? And then you ended up with half a mask? We're going to have the full mask."

I can see where the confusion would come in, but I don't in the slightest believe this was a "it's a soft reboot" mention. Definitely seems like a conflation of terms mixed with some leading and confusing questions from TTV, and some speculation that has worked its way into their facts list.

Thank you for the clarification. :)

I'm afraid I'm having a hard time imagining what it could attach to, perhaps because I'm not as familiar with terminology now as I once was... Would you be able to post some examples? Regardless, it does sound promising.

~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I'm very confused- what does everyone mean when they say the Vahi is only half of a mask?

Well if you look back to the actual design of the Vahi, it stands apart from the other Kanohi at the time because it was not designed as a full mask like the others, and the fact that the Vahi was mentioned by TLG (I think; just going from memory here) at NYCCC, us fans theorize that there could in fact be a top half to the Mask of Time. Plus, it was hinted at by TLG according to TTV.

Edited by Kuurai

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"

*cries*

We’ve reached a bit of a lull period, so I’m going to type out what we know about Bionicle 2015 very quickly. We got a lot of information, from the new location to the reboot clarification to a hint directed at the Kanohi Vahi (the Mask of Time).

All this information came from official Lego sources, Lego employees and people directly overseeing the franchise. They were all very gracious and very enthusiastic about the line. This is only what we have as of 4pm EST. We will make a new article if any new things are released come the VIP Event tonight.

(Note: 2001-2010 is nicknamed by us as the Mataverse, we’re also calling the new line the Nuvaverse. Not official names, just for better references).

Story:

• The story revolves around two Maskmakers, Ekimu and Makuta, who wear the Mask of Creation and the Mask of Control, respectively. Makuta decided to create the Mask of Ultimate Power, a Mask that controlled all of the elements, but in doing so cast him and his brother into a deep slumber.
  • Okoto is a new island that is reminiscent of Mata Nui but has mountain barriers that separate the element locations.
  • The “Protectors” are the main villagers of Okoto. However, the set Protectors are the elders of the villiage.
  • The original Toa awaken without any memory and have forgotten that they are heroes.
  • The reboot was compared to the “Star Trek movies” reboot, where there is a connection to the old universe.
  • There are hints that the original Kanohi Vahi from the Mataverse is only half a mask. More hints were also given towards it being involved with time travel. It could possibly leave the original universe open to continuation and the other half being formed in the Nuvaverse.
  • Specialized terms have been dropped. Certain things have been dropped, certain things have been retained (such as Toa).
  • Bionicle will have several minute long animations that will be released on the website. They are 2D flash animations that were significantly inspired and based on the Mata Nui Online Game. They also bear a slight similarity to the Mixel animations.
  • The story will mostly be told in books in the later half of 2015. They are currently looking at writers (emphasis on the plural) for it. Comics/other media were not mentioned.
  • Masks are connected from the sides of the head. The new heads also have faces and noses. The masks are firmly attached but can be knocked off.
  • Sets are all made with alternate “modes” for the weapons. The designers called this “Adrenaline Mode”.
  • It is planned for a three-year storyline, but that’s general Lego planning. There’s a good possibility that it might continue beyond that, but information isn’t freely given out.

Here’s what we theorize (gleaned from these answers, not official in the slightest):

• Time Trap was also mentioned when discussing the Kanohi Vahi. There is probably some link between the Temple of Time and the second half of the Kanohi Vahi…possibly. Also Krakua?
  • There are no Kanohi powers mentioned in the bios, and the video mentions that Masks can only hold one element (and that the Mask of Ultimate Control was made to control them all). We think that means that Kanohi powers are not in the Nuvaverse and that the Toa use them to “master” their element.
  • We mentioned Mata Nui; we were given an acknowledgement but no further information on him in the Nuvaverse.
  • When asked about the Kanohi, we were told that there is something that the Golden Masks give the Toa that they need in order to win. That was the extent of it.

So there you have it. We’ll give you more when we get it. Until then, stay tuned! Follow @thethreevirtues, @illustriousvar and @thejonathanjuan for immediate live tweeting and story bites!

Wow solid answers and all of this sounds kinda cool actually with the Nuvaverse and the temple of time Also wondering what the other half of the mask is.

• Upvote 1

Well, I am more than a bit disappointed about Bionicle 2015. It's just... meh.

Not what I thought or expected at all.

Humh.

Smiley_FrogShrug.gif

It is better than nothing, and meh is not a good way to describe it. What were you expecting? For huge, highly specialized body and limb pieces to return? Surely you couldn't want the Inika build. Also- they have gears, dual function weapons, awesome masks, new weapon and armor pieces, a specialized mask function and each set comes with a little baddie! What more could you want?

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

It is better than nothing, and meh is not a good way to describe it. What were you expecting? For huge, highly specialized body and limb pieces to return? Surely you couldn't want the Inika build. Also- they have gears, dual function weapons, awesome masks, new weapon and armor pieces, a specialized mask function and each set comes with a little baddie! What more could you want?

For the sets to be here sooner!

Yeah, I agree, Bionicle 2015 lives up to expectations.

Edit, surpasses, not lives up to.

Edited by Willess12

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Well, I am more than a bit disappointed about Bionicle 2015. It's just... meh.

Not what I thought or expected at all.

Humh.

Smiley_FrogShrug.gif

b448c0b47ac702addc8c3f3a4ddf2cc7d29da53f

Sorry, I've just been waiting so long to use this :P (I mean no harm)

• Upvote 3

*cries*

All this information came from official Lego sources, Lego employees and people directly overseeing the franchise. They were all very gracious and very enthusiastic about the line. This is only what we have as of 4pm EST. We will make a new article if any new things are released come the VIP Event tonight.

(Note: 2001-2010 is nicknamed by us as the Mataverse, we’re also calling the new line the Nuvaverse. Not official names, just for better references).

Story:

• There are hints that the original Kanohi Vahi from the Mataverse is only half a mask. More hints were also given towards it being involved with time travel. It could possibly leave the original universe open to continuation and the other half being formed in the Nuvaverse.
  • The story will mostly be told in books in the later half of 2015. They are currently looking at writers (emphasis on the plural) for it. Comics/other media were not mentioned.

Here’s what we theorize (gleaned from these answers, not official in the slightest):

So there you have it. We’ll give you more when we get it. Until then, stay tuned! Follow @thethreevirtues, @illustriousvar and @thejonathanjuan for immediate live tweeting and story bites!

Wow solid answers and all of this sounds kinda cool actually with the Nuvaverse and the temple of time Also wondering what the other half of the mask is.

Listen to this being: 

Never been so glad to see a DV post on yonder forum. :) 

It's not real, it's a reboot! Hardly solid answers IMO. 

• Upvote 2

Thank you very much for your insight, as always.

• Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Really? So that would mean that the agori type heads could wear these new masks?

Possibly. I'm still in New York, away from my collection, so I can't test it for sure, but the connections on the side of the Agori heads work perfectly for that purpose, so the only question is whether the head's dimensions interfere with the new masks or not.

WHAT. So the masks CAN attach to other things other than the heads? That head and mask system just got even better!!! :br:

Yup. They attach perfectly to things like Hero Factory/Glatorian hands or standard ballcups (Y-joints), and the only thing determining whether or not they attach to other parts with similar connections is whether or not the size and shape of those parts collides with the mask itself. I'll be able to test more parts for connectivity when I get home.

So Asian/anime vibe huh? Does anyone else think that an actual bionicle anime show would be amazing? Like normal anime style drawings and such but with bionicles. Would be epic.

I don't really want to see the Hau's eye sockets inflate to half the size of its face, thank you.

I don't think they would do that with the eyes and you sir are pretty ignorant there are plenty of anime where they don't make the eyes huge. Anime is a wonderful cartoon style that can convey battle and fight scenes much better then American styles along with depending on the show the writing can be excellent.

They can and will change the size of the eyes or their expression as needed in the animations. The animation style was one of the things discussed during the panel, and one still we were shown featured Pohatu attacking a bunch of Skull Spiders, with the eyes of the spiders assuming the shape of big, round circles (instead of their normal sinister, narrowed look) to indicate shock or surprise. That expressiveness was discussed as an asset, but obviously opinions will vary. To me, it looked good, and I encourage others to wait for more animations before deciding whether they like it based solely on assumptions as to what it will look like.

I'm afraid I'm having a hard time imagining what it could attach to, perhaps because I'm not as familiar with terminology now as I once was... Would you be able to post some examples? Regardless, it does sound promising.

~|ET|~

Basically, you know the two technic holes on either side of a Y-joint? Those connections, spaced in that way, work to connect the masks. That doesn't mean that all masks can attach to all parts with connections in that configuration, of course—it depends on whether or not the parts are shaped in such a way that the parts collide (like, for example, how Glatorian heads and Brain Attack heads have the same general connection points but masks for one don't always fit the other snugly).

I don't have my collection with me so all I can test are the parts I received at the event. But the masks can attach to many of those—for example, they fit around the axle holes on the sides of the Hero Factory feet, or attached around the Hero Factory hand or standard Y-joint. If you attached two angled Technic liftarms to each other, they'd probably fit snugly around the ends of those, too. Basically, you'll have a lot of options for attaching masks to MOCs even if they won't be backwards-compatible with all heads.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

If they do bring a form of Vahi into this, how will they do it?

Will it the side parts just stretch to the side of the head?

Or will it be a full mask?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Maybe it's... the other half.
It would be so neat if they fit together like puzzle pieces...

If they don't, then someone should 3D-print a Mataverse Vahi with the new clips.

Actually, someone needs to make 3D models of all the classic masks modified to fit on the new heads. :P  :br:

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Can someone with the new parts please disprove my awful feeling of the mask's durability? I feel they'll snap apart after a few uses :|

They're extremely sturdy. The plastic they're made from is as rigid as in 2001, and the "arms" that connect them to the sides of the head are reinforced on the sides, so you'd have to be trying pretty hard to bend them out of shape. I'd actually say that from my experience, they're sturdier than some of the masks from 2001 BIONICLE. The Vahi was very thin and easy to bend out of shape, and the Kakama also had some thin sections around the grooves in the cheeks that could easily break if you stepped on them. I haven't seen any such fragile areas in any of the new masks I've handled.

I don't have the patience to read the fifteen pages of discussion I missed yesterday, but I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about yesterday's events or my experience with the new pieces. :)

Jakura Nuva already asked me what I think of the new head pieces via PM, so I'll copy and paste what I said in reply right here:

The faces look robotic, but they still look appropriately face-like, without the weird four-segment mouths of the Toa Mata and Matoran heads, the strange pursed lips of the Toa Metru and Av-Matoran heads, or the skull-like nostrils of the Glatorian heads. They have a good balance of round shapes that create a relatable, human-like look and angular shapes that help the characters feel robotic and reduce the uncanny valley effect that a more human-like face might have. The chin is pointed enough that it can feel relatively androgynous — I know one of the big criticisms of the Glatorian head and 2.0 Hero Factory heads was their masculine jawline. And the facial expression can convey a range of emotions, rather than constantly looking angry.

Masks fit pretty securely, and are not nearly as specialized as Knights' Kingdom visors — they very effectively snap to parts like a Y-joint or Glatorian fist. This means a typical Toa or Protector can "hold" a mask in their hand with relative ease. The masks pop off when you press or strike the back of the eye piece, so they have the same potential for competitive play as the Toa Mata heads. The Skull Spiders fit almost better than the masks — they scarcely wobble at all, probably because the fangs press tight against the chin of the head piece.

The Silver Metallic color is very versatile, like they grey heads of previous sets. If I could complain about one thing, it's that the eye color used for Tahu and Kopaka is Tr. Light Blue rather than Tr. Fluorescent Blue, so it doesn't glow as brightly as Kopaka's classic eye color. It sort of puzzles me that Tr. Fluorescent Blue has pretty much disappeared from constraction. I like that Tr. Light Blue is a good match for Dark or Medium Azur, but in most cases I greatly prefer fluorescent colors. I hope future sets bring eyes in Tr. Fluorescent Reddish Orange (Pohatu's classic eye color). Those three eye colors make for a nice Red-Green-Blue trifecta, and the fiery glow of that third color works great for evil characters.

Something that might surprise people a bit about this new head is its size. The head is just three modules tall from the base of the chin to the top of the forehead, same as the Glatorian head or Brain Attack head from Hero Factory. But the Y-joint extends a half a module lower than the chin. This works pretty well, as it gives the head a great range of movement even with beefy armor like the new Toa use or a smaller torso beam like the Protectors use. Previous head and mask pieces could easily collide with the chest plate of the new Toa when used on an ordinary torso beam. And it looks good on a CCBS build with or without that chest plate — it's not like if you remove the chest plate, the neck will look long or gangly.

Sorry for rambling. I really like these new heads! Great design, and I'm sure it will remain useful for years to come!

• Upvote 3

Ahhhhhh. Thanks. That clears things up quite a bit. Wait a sec...

VAHI IN BIONICLE OKOTOVERSE CONFIRMED!!! :vahi:  :hyper:  :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Oh yeah, probably worth mentioning in this topic that a couple people who were there at the time have confirmed my fears that Pohatu's limb bones and bohrok eyes are Trans. Fluorescent Green instead of Trans. Yellow, as they look in promotional images.

I'm extremely disappointed. Trans Yellow looks fine with Pohatu's Dark Orange, IMO, but Trans. Fluorescent Green just.... looks weird.

• Upvote 1

Possibly. I'm still in New York, away from my collection, so I can't test it for sure, but the connections on the side of the Agori heads work perfectly for that purpose, so the only question is whether the head's dimensions interfere with the new masks or not.

Yup. They attach perfectly to things like Hero Factory/Glatorian hands or standard ballcups (Y-joints), and the only thing determining whether or not they attach to other parts with similar connections is whether or not the size and shape of those parts collides with the mask itself. I'll be able to test more parts for connectivity when I get home.

They can and will change the size of the eyes or their expression as needed in the animations. The animation style was one of the things discussed during the panel, and one still we were shown featured Pohatu attacking a bunch of Skull Spiders, with the eyes of the spiders assuming the shape of big, round circles (instead of their normal sinister, narrowed look) to indicate shock or surprise. That expressiveness was discussed as an asset, but obviously opinions will vary. To me, it looked good, and I encourage others to wait for more animations before deciding whether they like it based solely on assumptions as to what it will look like.

~|ET|~

Basically, you know the two technic holes on either side of a Y-joint? Those connections, spaced in that way, work to connect the masks. That doesn't mean that all masks can attach to all parts with connections in that configuration, of course—it depends on whether or not the parts are shaped in such a way that the parts collide (like, for example, how Glatorian heads and Brain Attack heads have the same general connection points but masks for one don't always fit the other snugly).

I don't have my collection with me so all I can test are the parts I received at the event. But the masks can attach to many of those—for example, they fit around the axle holes on the sides of the Hero Factory feet, or attached around the Hero Factory hand or standard Y-joint. If you attached two angled Technic liftarms to each other, they'd probably fit snugly around the ends of those, too. Basically, you'll have a lot of options for attaching masks to MOCs even if they won't be backwards-compatible with all heads.

If the masks can attach to the Brain Attack & Glatorian heads, then they will officially be the coolest Lego constraction masks ever made. :P Some body needs to try that out... :)

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Oh yeah, probably worth mentioning in this topic that a couple people who were there at the time have confirmed my fears that Pohatu's limb bones and bohrok eyes are Trans. Fluorescent Green instead of Trans. Yellow, as they look in promotional images.

I'm extremely disappointed. Trans Yellow looks fine with Pohatu's Dark Orange, IMO, but Trans. Fluorescent Green just.... looks weird.

Noooooooooooo. Why must you do this Lego?? Trans yellow Bohrok eyes have only been in one set according to Bricklink, and you decide to use Trans florescent green? I wanted Trans Yellow CCBS bones and Bohrok eyes!

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

While I don't really mind the trans-yellow-green, it is pretty disappointing they didn't make it trans-yellow. I was looking forward to trans-yellow CCBS bones so much. :(

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I was surprised to see what color they were and even more surprised how much I liked it. For starters, they're fluorescent, which I tend to like. But additionally, they give the appearance of mineral veins running through rock, whereas a Tr. Yellow and Dark Orange color scheme like how it appears on the package felt a bit... scatalogical (a criticism I had heard multiple places).

Tr. Yellow would definitely have been closer to the Brick Yellow (Tan) of his classic color scheme, but in general I think Pohatu's new color scheme works very well for him.

~|ET|~

If the masks can attach to the Brain Attack & Glatorian heads, then they will officially be the coolest Lego constraction masks ever made. :P Some body needs to try that out... :)

BZP staff member Darth Vader (who has secretly had the new masks for months) posted on Eurobricks that they do fit on the Brain Attack heads, but that the "bolt" at the end of the Glatorian head's jaw prevents the new masks from attaching to it. Sorry for the disappointment.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

BZP staff member Darth Vader (who has secretly had the new masks for months) posted on Eurobricks that they do fit on the Brain Attack heads, but that the "bolt" at the end of the Glatorian head's jaw prevents the new masks from attaching to it. Sorry for the disappointment.

Curse that jawbolt!

anyway, that makes the only masks not compatible w/ brain attack heads Mata Nui kanohi and Glatorian helmets. so, *shrugs*

Edited by Rahkshi Lalonde

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

anyway, that makes the only masks not compatible w/ brain attack heads Mata Nui kanohi and Glatorian helmets. so, *shrugs*

Glatorian helmets are actually more compatible with the Brain Attack heads than 03-08 masks, as they are much more filled by the heads. Meanwhile, 01-08 masks are barely half filled by the head, with the top of it visible through the eyeholes from a front view, while on some masks the clip sticks out the bottom.

You can see what I mean by testing the only 2 masks like that (the Hydraxon face and the Tahu Stars Hau) LDD has on the BA head. It's even less flattering than putting them on a Glatorian head.

Mesonak from TTV posted this on the Bionicle 2015 Eurobricks forum:

Apologies for any misunderstandings as a result of any messages of ours! It was a pretty crazy day today, so I'm sorry if any of our info that we were meant to be relaying got crossed with our opinions. I've spoken to the others to help me refresh my memory in an attempt to clear up this misunderstanding; here's what happened.We inquired as to whether it was a reboot or not, and Jordan Paxton said the following (DIRECT QUOTE):

"I don't want to say it's a reboot, because there are certainly elements that connect to the old story." Afterwards, we inquired as to whether these "elements" included the Toa, and whether they were the same Toa from the old storyline. He replied to that with the answer regarding the Mask of Time being "half a mask." Obviously this lends some credence leads credence to the belief that this will be a "soft reboot" of sorts, DEPENDING ON YOUR USAGE OF THE TERM, where elements from the old story still come into play and have an effect. Hence why, in our tweets, we used that terminology. I know we captured the Vahi bit on one of our interviews (provided it recorded okay), whereas the Toa question I believe was off-recording. However, we wouldn't really have any reason to lie. :P

Also, this one guy on Eurobricks got sent these "pre-release parts" from (I think) Lego:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahava516/15303874927/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahava516/15467321656/

I wonder if that trans-red hau was just a prototype or if it will appear in... mask packs? :o

• Upvote 2

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

~|ET|~

WOOO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY! :D :spinsmile:

But too bad the Glatorian head sticks out too far. :closedeyes: Oh well, the Glatorian heads always break on me anyway. :P

EDIT: Sorry, not "stick out too far" but "has those little bumps that stick out and are supposed to be nice intricate details but are now annoying compatibility-breakers :P)

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I don't have the patience to read the fifteen pages of discussion I missed yesterday, but I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about yesterday's events or my experience with the new pieces. :)

I assume they didn't leave the bins full of new parts for everyone to enjoy in the Lego Store, right?

Hail Denmark