OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

While ideally it could be better, what lego has shown so far blows my realistic expectations out of the water. Gear functions were the last thing i was expecting, yet they did it, and did it well. The new animation style seems to capture that lighthearted yet serious feeling we got from mnog. While people are complaining about is different, i think its good. If you don't change anything, then you just have what we already got. The past was great, but it is good to be getting to experiance a whole new adventure. One thing to remember is that we arn't the target audiance, yet lego is making a great effort to make it appeal to its older fans too, something they never bothered with with chima and other themes.

Overall, i optimistically look foward to what the year will bring.

• Upvote 6

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

I'm just glad it's back! :D

I'm also very easy to please and quite possibly have low standards. I look simply to be entertained.

Edit:

While ideally it could be better, what lego has shown so far blows my realistic expectations out of the water. Gear functions were the last thing i was expecting, yet they did it, and did it well. The new animation style seems to capture that lighthearted yet serious feeling we got from mnog. While people are complaining about is different, i think its good. If you don't change anything, then you just have what we already got. The past was great, but it is good to be getting to experiance a whole new adventure. One thing to remember is that we arn't the target audiance, yet lego is making a great effort to make it appeal to its older fans too, something they never bothered with with chima and other themes.

Overall, i optimistically look foward to what the year will bring.

I also agree with pretty much everything this guy said.

Edited by The Undertaken

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

I'm so excited. I haven't bought anything BIONICLE in so long, but I heard about the revivial and lost my mind. I've been going back through the wiki and old comics, refamiliarizing myself with the brand in anticipation for these toys to come out. I haven't been this excited for a toyline since Power Rangers RPM, haha.

Edited by Diend

I am disappointed by everyone complaining about New Bionicle. What more do they want? Lego is doing so much to give New Bionicle the same feel as Old Bionicle, and these people are like, "Ugh, they are using the Hero Factory system. It's not even Bionicle at all! They look ugly! Etcetera..."

People have had four years to build up expectations of what BIONICLE's return will be like. There's no way the new BIONICLE would be able to satisfy those expectations, so most people have to adjust their expectations accordingly before they can really embrace the new BIONICLE.

All things considered, I expected a LOT more resistance to the new BIONICLE back before the official reveal. Most of what I've seen about the new BIONICLE has been refreshingly positive, even in communities where I expected a lot more resistance to any big changes. With that said, I've been steering clear of YouTube comments and other dark corners of the Internet.

• Upvote 2

I am disappointed by everyone complaining about New Bionicle. What more do they want? Lego is doing so much to give New Bionicle the same feel as Old Bionicle, and these people are like, "Ugh, they are using the Hero Factory system. It's not even Bionicle at all! They look ugly! Etcetera..."

They want 2001. All they want is the first year of BIONICLE all over again, same sets and all.

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

They want 2001. All they want is the first year of BIONICLE all over again, same sets and all.

Not necessarily. To be honest, the people who have been disappointed by the new BIONICLE can't be encapsulated into one particular mindset. I'm sure SOME of them think the early years were BIONICLE's peak, but there are a lot of others who seem to think that BIONICLE didn't hit its peak until sometime in the second half of its original run (2006–2010), and that resetting the story to a level of complexity similar to 2001 constitutes dumbing things down.

As far as sets are concerned, I haven't seen a whole lot of bickering except for the typical complaints about characters not looking true to how the person in question imagined the originals, or of course complaints that the sets lack BIONICLE-esque detail. But in general, most of the people disappointed with the new sets don't tend to hold up any particular sets as an example of what the new Toa should be like. The same four-year span that allowed everybody plenty of time to build up their expectations also gave people plenty of time to reflect on what had come before and realize that every series of Toa has been flawed in some way. But while I don't think anybody wants the new sets to perfectly emulate any one particular series of Toa, people DO have ideas about which ideas from previous sets worked and which didn't, which becomes a part of the built-up expectations I mentioned.

• Upvote 2

I'm one of those who believes that Bionicle hit its peak in 2006 (from there I feel like it was kind of a slow decline, until 2009 just plummeted into awful), so I do miss the 2006-style story. That said, I also enjoyed the early years, and have been doing my best to be open to Bionicle 2015 for months.

Also, there's no way I wouldn't be excited with those set designs. They're amazing. :P

People will always find something to hate. People will find themselves always unsatisfied until they open their minds and come into things unbiased and without specific expectations.

It's funny, how so many were screaming how much they wanted Bionicle back, and now they're complaining about it because it's not the same. Lego made great (or at least the best they could) decisions in making this. If you're not satisfied, it's likely because you don't like the idea of Bionicle being anything except what it was, and probably don't like the idea that they've grown up and Bionicle is back only this time not being directed at them.

• Upvote 6

Yeah it is funny regarding the whole "2001" thing -

On my Youtube channel (where I have uploaded a lot of Bionicle content from 06 - 08) there has been a lot of people commenting who stated that their first year into the series was the Inika or Metru era. That's quite a few years being skipped over, definitely a different aesthetic from 01 in that sense too. Funny enough, these people are the same ones complaining about the new Bionicle not meeting their expectations.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Regarding the 2001 fanboys, all they want is for lego to re release the old bionicle sets so they can go down to the same store(in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they brought their parents with them)and re buy the first set they bought back in 2001, simply put they just want to recreate those nostalgic memories and as far as I'm concerned they just need to except the fact their childhood is over and not coming back.

It's time to move on.

Regarding the 2001 fanboys, all they want is for lego to re release the old bionicle sets so they can go down to the same store(in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they brought their parents with them)and re buy the first set they bought back in 2001, simply put they just want to recreate those nostalgic memories and as far as I'm concerned they just need to except the fact their childhood is over and not coming back.

This has been Harsh Realities with Master Chirox. Join us next week, and he will explain why the baby-stork-hoax is a myth. 

• Upvote 6

bZpOwEr

This has been Harsh Realities with Master Chirox. Join us next week, and he will explain why the baby-stork-hoax is a myth. 

But hopefully not on BZPower. And this new revelation would make all of Dumbo not possible.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I'm getting my own show?

• Upvote 2

It's time to move on.

Not necessarily. To be honest, the people who have been disappointed by the new BIONICLE can't be encapsulated into one particular mindset. I'm sure SOME of them think the early years were BIONICLE's peak, but there are a lot of others who seem to think that BIONICLE didn't hit its peak until sometime in the second half of its original run (2006–2010), and that resetting the story to a level of complexity similar to 2001 constitutes dumbing things down.

As far as sets are concerned, I haven't seen a whole lot of bickering except for the typical complaints about characters not looking true to how the person in question imagined the originals, or of course complaints that the sets lack BIONICLE-esque detail. But in general, most of the people disappointed with the new sets don't tend to hold up any particular sets as an example of what the new Toa should be like. The same four-year span that allowed everybody plenty of time to build up their expectations also gave people plenty of time to reflect on what had come before and realize that every series of Toa has been flawed in some way. But while I don't think anybody wants the new sets to perfectly emulate any one particular series of Toa, people DO have ideas about which ideas from previous sets worked and which didn't, which becomes a part of the built-up expectations I mentioned.

I was referring to the fact that 2001 was the beginning of the original BIONICLE run. I'm sure a lot of people had a favorite year in the

Mata Nui trilogy (2001-2003), but I'm sure a lot of people also had a favorite in the Metru Nui saga Ignition trilogy, or even the big reboot of 2009. My point was that people want a nostalgia trip, they want their memories and toys back. And their's nothing wrong with that. But some people have problems with the fact that they aren't aesthetically complex (I think they are, but the Hero Factory pieces are clouding their complexity for them), or that they aren't on Mata Nui / in the MU, or that the heads aren't backwards-compatible (I wish they were, but they aren't), or even that they don't use the Inika build, even though it was already over-used. They want the "perfection" that was the Mataverse (the story was not in the LEAST perfect, but it's probably one of The LEGO Group's best), and are afraid that in this Nuvaverse that the storyline will be horrible unless it is an exact or nearly-exact repeat.

Edited by Turaga Karera

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

I was referring to the fact that 2001 was the beginning of the original BIONICLE run. I'm sure a lot of people had a favorite year in the

Mata Nui trilogy (2001-2003), but I'm sure a lot of people also had a favorite in the Metru Nui saga Ignition trilogy, or even the big reboot of 2009. My point was that people want a nostalgia trip, they want their memories and toys back. And their's nothing wrong with that. But some people have problems with the fact that they aren't aesthetically complex (I think they are, but the Hero Factory pieces are clouding their complexity for them), or that they aren't on Mata Nui / in the MU, or that the heads aren't backwards-compatible (I wish they were, but they aren't), or even that they don't use the Inika build, even though it was already over-used. They want the "perfection" that was the Mataverse (the story was not in the LEAST perfect, but it's probably one of The LEGO Group's best), and are afraid that in this Nuvaverse that the storyline will be #### unless it is an exact or nearly-exact repeat.

(Please, don't curse with symbols. We can all tell what it is. Just use pound symbols, like I changed it to in the quote.)

These people must have a fear of new and different things, since they are going around web raging about how new Bionicle is not Bionicle just because it uses CCBS.

I HATE SCORPIOS

It would be foolish to expect this new line to be a repeat of any part of the previous decade's. The fact that it's a reboot should make that clear. And why would Lego try to repeat an old line anyway? Things have moved on since then. Heck, the 01-10 line itself saw a lot of change over its course, not all of it good, and if Lego tried to repeat that they'd probably hit the same problems that led to the cancellation.

The shop I bought my first Bionicle sets at has long since been replaced by an electronics shop, by the way.

You didn't know about your own show? I watch it every day as I float inside of my canister cardboard box towards Okoto!

What's it even called? And for that matter how long has it been on the air? And what channel does it air on?

Harsh Realities with masterchirox has aired on channel 2015 since October 9th.

• Upvote 2

I HATE SCORPIOS

On the topic of Bionicle Gen 1's peak, I'd say it's peaks were 2004 & 2006-7. I'm looking forward to the 2015 sets, which combine my favorite aspects of the aforementioned years as well as features from 01 & 02, and their awesomeness is making me wonder how Lego is going to top their perfection. (In terms of the designs & functions. Obviously the individual Toa all have their own small flaws, but so does every set.) I mean, we have super flexibility, articulation, & poseability. And then we have gear functions that only add to the model's playability... they don't detract in any way because they don't limit articulation or cause floppy arms. And then the masks. The masks are wonderfully deisgned and I love the new connection & head piece. It's better than the Metru head in my opinion. And the masks are backwards-compatible with Brain Attack heads & Y-sockets. And the Toa have dual-function weapons like the Nuva. And the Protectors have super-cool stud-shooters. And the Lord of Skull Spiders has a gear function like the 2001 Rahi.

It's time to find out how next year's sets could be even cooler. New CCBS shells with intricate designs but still able to have an add-on-shell attached to them? (Basically with the kind of detail put into add-on shells except it's a base shell.) New CCBS parts to make creatures that roll up into balls? (Bohrokoto :P) Mask packs? :br: Okoto Online Game (OOG)? :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

It's time to find out how next year's sets could be even cooler. New CCBS shells with intricate designs but still able to have an add-on-shell attached to them? (Basically with the kind of detail put into add-on shells except it's a base shell.) New CCBS parts to make creatures that roll up into balls? (Bohrokoto :P) Mask packs? :br: Okoto Online Game (OOG)? :P

YES YES YES!!!

I HATE SCORPIOS

YES YES YES!!!

I assume they are getting old pieces out of the way right now... Over time we will see more specialized shells.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Yessss, give us new Bohrok. But jump straight to the Kal this time. Normal Bohrok only work with the MU = giant robot plot twist. The Kal though? Could repurpose them a lot easier.

The Kal don't make any sense without the context of the Bohrok themselves, though. Yes, you could repurpose the Kal as an independent series of villains—but if you're changing their role that much then it'd be no harder (and in fact, probably easier) to repurpose the Bohrok as alien invaders or whatnot.

Plus, the regular Bohrok were just better. Always have been. :P

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I wouldn't be opposed to more detailed shells (after all, I've gotten great use out of these three shells), but they should be designed to supplement the more basic shells, not take their place. I don't want the CCBS to devolve into a system that needs a different set of shells depending on whether you're building a mechanical character or an organic one (especially since most of the existing shells work just fine for either).

Besides that, if the LEGO Group does introduce new shells, I don't think "shells like the ones we have but with different textures" is necessarily where I'd want that budget going. I think it'd be a better investment to introduce shells with different shapes, kind of like how the 5x8x3 Shell T has a different shape than the 8M Shell A or how the 6M Shell C has a different shape from the 6M Shell A. The more detailed/textured shells I linked above are acceptable because they actually feature different connection points, but if they didn't, then they'd feel awfully redundant and wasteful.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Besides that, if the LEGO Group does introduce new shells, I don't think "shells like the ones we have but with different textures" is necessarily where I'd want that budget going. I think it'd be a better investment to introduce shells with different shapes, kind of like how the 5x8x3 Shell T has a different shape than the 8M Shell A or how the 6M Shell C has a different shape from the 6M Shell A. The more detailed/textured shells I linked above are acceptable because they actually feature different connection points, but if they didn't, then they'd feel awfully redundant and wasteful.

i have to say I find that kind of odd, because by that logic, this piece is wasteful because it has no more connection points than a 1x2 brick, even though its niche in building houses and other structures is extremely useful. Same for this piece. Both are completely interchangeable with a 1x2 brick. Would you consider them redundant and wasteful?

I think some smaller textured shells would be fine, honestly. Not every MOC is going to want the smooth aesthetic of CCBS, and right now the main alternative is to put an add-on over them, which adds bulk, which isn't always preferable. If we got a piece similar to an existing shell, but with texture to it, I would find it no more wasteful than having a brick-textured piece for when a normal 1x2 just wouldn't look as nice.

• Upvote 1

i have to say I find that kind of odd, because by that logic, this piece is wasteful because it has no more connection points than a 1x2 brick, even though its niche in building houses and other structures is extremely useful. Same for this piece. Both are completely interchangeable with a 1x2 brick. Would you consider them redundant and wasteful?

The thing is, basic LEGO System has a wider range of parts to begin with, and more budget for new ones because there are so many different themes that use it. CCBS is different. Each year we get 20 or 30 new parts, and a lot of those tend to be masks and weapons. For the new BIONICLE sets that we've seen so far, there are 15 new parts just for the new masks, weapons, and skull spiders, and two more for the new gearbox and mechanical detail piece. So I feel what's left of the budget after that ought to be used efficiently.

If the new BIONICLE is so massively successful that the LEGO Group devotes a considerably larger budget to new constraction parts (and to the number of constraction parts in production at any given time), then sure, introducing differently-textured parts purely for variety's sake would be just fine! But as it is, there's a reason why there haven't been new shells other than torso shells in a few years — the new parts budget is being used for other things.

Note: I might be a bit biased because as more of a constraction builder than a System builder, I'm not struck by a lack of potentially useful parts when I do build with System. I'm sure a dyed-in-the-wool LEGO Pirates, LEGO Castle, or LEGO City fan might be able to give you a whole laundry list of new parts they need, and then identify parts they consider "redundant" whose budget could have been better spent on items from that list.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I wouldn't be opposed to more detailed shells (after all, I've gotten great use out of these three shells), but they should be designed to supplement the more basic shells, not take their place. I don't want the CCBS to devolve into a system that needs a different set of shells depending on whether you're building a mechanical character or an organic one (especially since most of the existing shells work just fine for either).

I'm not asking for the entire system of shells to be replaced. The smooth textures of the basic shells are a defining feature of the CCBS, and it's compatible with almost anything you want to build. I just want more base shells with different textures, not new textured ones to replace the old ones.

Also, the 8M Shell A is pretty long. Too bad it only comes in 3 colors and only in 3 sets. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Also, the 8M Shell A is pretty long. Too bad it only comes in 3 colors and only in 3 sets. :P

There were also 4 black ones in Black Phantom and two purple ones in (I THINK??) Joker Ultrabuild.

Still a criminally underused piece.

Those are 6M shells, not 8M. The 8M shell is so ridiculously long it's almost completely impractical for limbs.

• Upvote 2

There were also 4 black ones in Black Phantom and two purple ones in (I THINK??) Joker Ultrabuild.

Still a criminally underused piece.

Those are 6M shells, not 8M. The 8M shell is so ridiculously long it's almost completely impractical for limbs.

They are so long that they were used as Waspix's wings.

I HATE SCORPIOS

Heh, I created a topic about this some minutes ago, of course not realising there was another already open because I didn't see it for some reason. Oh well, here is my opinion, as I said in that topic.

Well, you are going to call me everything you find on your vocabulary, but I have to say that, after seeing the new BIONICLE, I am not convinced.

I don't like the feelings it gives me. It reminds me too much of those lego toylines that last two years, and never really have a decent story. Such as that line which I don't even remember the name which consisted of people in submarines battling crabs and squids. I have the feeling it is not going to be more complex than 'good guys fight bad guys to find (insert object/location here)'.

Also, I don't like the sets. Apart from finding them rather ugly (Onua....), they don't remind me at all to the sets they are supposed to be based off. Then come the masks. Four of them are acceptable, but the Kaukau and Miru still pursue me in my nightmares. I even preferred the Kaukau nuva! (now you all are thinking: this guy is crazy...).

Then comes the overall idea of the sets. They are too similar to HF. And I never liked HF. All those armor plates get me nervous. I like the good old days when a limb was a single piece, or two articulated pieces, with one of them covered by another which hid the other completely.

And the story... Well, we don't know much yet, but I feel this is not going to get to the complexity of even 2001. Not even unity, duty destiny; not even a decent map, etc. Also, I haven't heard (or read) the names Mata nui, Matoran, Turaga, etc. Without all this, It has absolutely nothing to do with the old BIONICLE, just the names of the protagonists.

And now comes the maximum argument: When I read on the frontpage that the bionicle webpagewas up, I quickly opened it to see what was new. And I was VERY underwhelmed. Basically my smile turned slowly into a 'I hope they know what they are doing'. I expected something like Toa tahu staring at me from the screen along with takanuva, and facing an army of Zyglak.

All I got was a toyline that does not remind me of bionicle. I hoped for a reboot in a parallel, yet similar universe; or a continuation from the very spot, or from some years later. Or even a parallel history during the years prior to the GC. Not... some sort of parallel universe which has absolutely nothing to do with the original.

Heh, I created a topic about this some minutes ago, of course not realising there was another already open because I didn't see it for some reason. Oh well, here is my opinion, as I said in that topic.

Well, you are going to call me everything you find on your vocabulary, but I have to say that, after seeing the new BIONICLE, I am not convinced.

I don't like the feelings it gives me. It reminds me too much of those lego toylines that last two years, and never really have a decent story. Such as that line which I don't even remember the name which consisted of people in submarines battling crabs and squids. I have the feeling it is not going to be more complex than 'good guys fight bad guys to find (insert object/location here)'.

Also, I don't like the sets. Apart from finding them rather ugly (Onua....), they don't remind me at all to the sets they are supposed to be based off. Then come the masks. Four of them are acceptable, but the Kaukau and Miru still pursue me in my nightmares. I even preferred the Kaukau nuva! (now you all are thinking: this guy is crazy...).

Then comes the overall idea of the sets. They are too similar to HF. And I never liked HF. All those armor plates get me nervous. I like the good old days when a limb was a single piece, or two articulated pieces, with one of them covered by another which hid the other completely.

And the story... Well, we don't know much yet, but I feel this is not going to get to the complexity of even 2001. Not even unity, duty destiny; not even a decent map, etc. Also, I haven't heard (or read) the names Mata nui, Matoran, Turaga, etc. Without all this, It has absolutely nothing to do with the old BIONICLE, just the names of the protagonists.

And now comes the maximum argument: When I read on the frontpage that the bionicle webpagewas up, I quickly opened it to see what was new. And I was VERY underwhelmed. Basically my smile turned slowly into a 'I hope they know what they are doing'. I expected something like Toa tahu staring at me from the screen along with takanuva, and facing an army of Zyglak.

All I got was a toyline that does not remind me of bionicle. I hoped for a reboot in a parallel, yet similar universe; or a continuation from the very spot, or from some years later. Or even a parallel history during the years prior to the GC. Not... some sort of parallel universe which has absolutely nothing to do with the original.

The whole reason that Bionicle ended was because it was too complex.

I HATE SCORPIOS

The whole reason that Bionicle ended was because it was too complex.

Well, more accurately the whole reason Bionicle ended was because sales were flagging. That was primarily because new fans weren't getting into the theme as rapidly as older fans were leaving, and THAT was primarily because the complexity of the story served as a barrier to entry for new fans.

So complexity wasn't "the whole reason". There were other reasons for the theme's end, such as the realization in later years that they had overestimated the theme's profits due to underestimating the cost of so many new molds each year. But sales were the biggest factor in the decision to end the theme, and the complexity of the story was the biggest reason for why sales suffered.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It is still just a teaser site.

Yep, and the storyon the teaser site's already looking a lot more complex than the story looked on the Ninjago teaser site back in 2010. That teaser site was laden with silly made-up trivia that never really ended up affecting the actual story, it was more aimed at establishing the tone.

Anyway, skratchR, I'm not interested in calling you names or looking down on you just because your opinions are different than mine. But I encourage you to give the new BIONICLE the benefit of the doubt. All of us fans have had four years to build up their expectations about what BIONICLE's return should be like. It's inevitable that the new BIONICLE theme would not be able to meet ALL of those expectations.

But I think you'll find that there's a LOT more tying this theme to the old BIONICLE theme besides just the names of the protagonists. A lot of the core story elements, such as Toa, Masks of Power, and an ancient rivalry stemming from jealousy, are present in the new storyline in some form. And the sets are every bit as complex as you're used to — just in different ways. Less attention goes towards making the PIECES unique and complex and more towards doing the same with the BUILDS, which might not have been as effective if the part designs had been as specialized as in the old BIONICLE.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 6