OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I gotta say I am disappointed with the packaging, I was hoping they would go back to having it double as a storage container for the sets, oh well maybe they'll do this in 2016.

They actually COULD double as a storage container for the sets. They're big enough to hold the sets (at least, with limited disassembly as was required for most later Bionicle canister sets as well), they're easy enough to reseal just by folding the tabs back down, and provided you treat them gently they should hold their shape well enough. It is disappointing that they're flimsier than the old canisters or pouches, but they're certainly not useless as far as storage is concerned.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think that after 3 years, I would want a new Toa team. If Okotoan/Okotonan/Protector/whatever to Toa transformations exist, then the new Toa team could be characters we've met before, like with the Metru & Inika.

The first three years of Bionicle revolved around one Toa team, and they had the most sales of all.

While I understand some would want to have the originals throughout the whole thing, and while I wouldn't mind it that much, I think that on its 4th year, Bionicle should switch focus to a new group of characters and continue with them for 3 years. I think 3 years is enough time to give the characters a lot of development and story. And besides, there's only so many transformations you can give a Toa team before it getting unrealistic. (Unless they find a way to do something interesting like the IFB HF sets, though I'm not sure how many people want to see Toa in mechs. :P )

Well, if each new form is treated as a magical metamorphosis like most transformations were in the old BIONICLE, then I definitely think they could get old. But if they're treated more like costume changes I think you could definitely keep the same team going for quite some time. Look at LEGO Ninjago as an example. It's only in its fourth year, but there have already been at least seven different designs for each of the four main Ninja: original, DX, Kendo, ZX, NRG, Final Battle, and Rebooted. Zane has actually had two additional forms beyond that: the battle-damaged design from 70724 NinjaCopter and the armored design from 70728 Battle for Ninjago City. Hero Factory also demonstrated this to an extent: the first major upgrade was treated as a really big deal, but after that they basically amounted to costume changes so the heroes could have builds and equipment specific to each mission.

Now obviously, designing a new form for a constraction character is different than designing a new form for a minifigure. After all, a minifigure is supplemental to a set, while a constraction figure is usually the focus of the set. As such, it's usually not enough to simply change the aesthetics of a constraction model, whether through printing or molds — there should usually be at least some differences in the actual build and play features. But I think the LEGO Group is more than capable of doing this. Just compare CHI Cragger in his 2013 and 2014 depictions. Besides the weapons changing, the 2014 version has much more elaborate armor, despite being the same price and actually having a lower piece count. Still, it's unmistakeably the same character — the face and posture have remained largely the same. If the LEGO Group could do something like this for the Toa it would be more than enough to keep things fresh, I think.

• Upvote 4

I gotta say I am disappointed with the packaging, I was hoping they would go back to having it double as a storage container for the sets, oh well maybe they'll do this in 2016.

They actually COULD double as a storage container for the sets. They're big enough to hold the sets (at least, with limited disassembly as was required for most later Bionicle canister sets as well), they're easy enough to reseal just by folding the tabs back down, and provided you treat them gently they should hold their shape well enough. It is disappointing that they're flimsier than the old canisters or pouches, but they're certainly not useless as far as storage is concerned.

Are you sure about that? The canisters look way too thin to be able to hold the toa (at least without having to take apart the whole model).

It's time to move on.

Are you sure about that? The canisters look way too thin to be able to hold the toa (at least without having to take apart the whole model).

They're thin but I don't think they're too thin. I haven't tested it myself yet, but I figure for most of them it'd simply be a matter of separating the "front" (legs, head, torso beam, torso shell) from the "back" (gearbox, arms) and removing obtrusive parts like the weapons. Onua might be a little iffy, but I'd worry less about his torso being too thick, since it'd be pretty comparable when separated, and more about it being too wide—his shoulder span is pretty massive. But I think Kopaka and Tahu could manage that just fine. Not sure about the smaller Toa either, since while they're smaller their boxes are as well. Pohatu would almost definitely fit, but Lewa might be pushing it due to his height.

• Upvote 3

They're thin but I don't think they're too thin. I haven't tested it myself yet, but I figure for most of them it'd simply be a matter of separating the "front" (legs, head, torso beam, torso shell) from the "back" (gearbox, arms) and removing obtrusive parts like the weapons. Onua might be a little iffy, but I'd worry less about his torso being too thick, since it'd be pretty comparable when separated, and more about it being too wide—his shoulder span is pretty massive. But I think Kopaka and Tahu could manage that just fine. Not sure about the smaller Toa either, since while they're smaller their boxes are as well. Pohatu would almost definitely fit, but Lewa might be pushing it due to his height.

Well I'm still not sure about it, I guess I'll have to wait till I own them or maybe black six could tell us, if you'll excuse me I'm off to go ask some questions.

Well I'm still not sure about it, I guess I'll have to wait till I own them or maybe black six could tell us, if you'll excuse me I'm off to go ask some questions.

Well he answered and the answer is most likely no they cannot be doubled as a set container as he explains here.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15582-set-review-70788-kopaka-master-of-ice/page-2?do=findComment&comment=773981

Edited by Makaru

It's time to move on.

I dunno about you guys, but I don't want the same character over and over again set-wise. It's good to keep them around for a good amount of times and sets can easily be very different design-wise, but I still feel that part of having a refreshing set is having a refreshing character, someone unexlpored and very interesting. New pulls people in (just look at the LEGO StarWars boxes...)

• Upvote 1

I'd be okay if the cast changed after a while, but only so long as the original cast's story got a beginning, a middle, and an end. In my opinion the problem with Bionicle's cast switching wasn't just that characters receded into the background—it was that the old characters never got any sort of closure beforehand. When the Toa Inika were introduced, they didn't replace the Toa Nuva; the Toa Nuva remained the same and had their own lackluster adventures at the same time, which made the story more complex just to ensure that Lego could pull them back into the story when they needed them again. In my opinion, that weakened their overall character arc so much that when they finally returned in 2008, it was hard to get excited for them.

So, Lego, if three to five years down the line you want to change up the cast completely, give us a good reason for it! Don't just keep introducing more and more characters without removing any from circulation. Make the Toa into elders or leaders or whatever you have to do to bring their arc to a satisfying close, but don't just put them on a bus just so you can bring them back again if sales of the new team start to peter out. That's a lazy, risk-averse way to write a story.

• Upvote 9

Disassembly was also required for Tahu Nuva, can't speak for the other Nuva but some of them would have it too, I imagine. 

All the Nuva have that problem, I think, though detaching the arms (including the shoulders) fixes the problem.

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Alright, I've been trying to reverse-engineer the PoE (Protector of Earth) today. I have no clue anymore as to how his back attaches. I had a solution, but looking back on the images from The Brothers Brick I've realized I came very close but I haven't quite nailed it. I thought it was the triangle half-beam (http://brickset.com/parts/4142543), but there's a few discrepancies. I can't think of any other parts that are even close to the half-beams on the back of the PoE. Any suggestions?

Oh, I did get a rough idea of what his proportions are. He's amazing :D

2003 ended with the Nuva and Takanuva powerful and victorious. During the Metru Nui flashback we were told the Nuva would be making their grand return in 2006. But when that year came, the Nuva are nowhere to be seen in the main story and the Inika are now the heroes for saving the All American Rejects or whatever. We're just supposed to be grateful that Greg squeezed the Nuva into a book or two in which they get utterly pulverised, and also that the new Toa have the names of some old Matoran despite having little resemblance in personality or appearance (part of the problem here being that these characters had been defined in media that Greg didn't write). On top of that, just when we were getting used to this new team with their second year, one of them dies, they disappear from the main story and the Nuva are abruptly brought back the year after, though now in weird forms that bear no resemblance to the ones we knew. This is not good storytelling.

I don't mind if they want to introduce a fresh set of main characters. But have the courage to kill or retire the old ones first.

• Upvote 1

Alright, I've been trying to reverse-engineer the PoE (Protector of Earth) today. I have no clue anymore as to how his back attaches. I had a solution, but looking back on the images from The Brothers Brick I've realized I came very close but I haven't quite nailed it. I thought it was the triangle half-beam (http://brickset.com/parts/4142543), but there's a few discrepancies. I can't think of any other parts that are even close to the half-beams on the back of the PoE. Any suggestions?

You're on the right track. He uses the newer version of the triangle half-beam.
  • Upvote 2

One of the worst aspects of the original line was the constantly changing main characters. Hated hated hated that. I don't want to see new Toa every three years. To me, that seems like the worst possible outcome.

I don't know. I always really liked that aspect of Bionicle. I would have got bored seeing the same characters in different forms.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

2003 ended with the Nuva and Takanuva powerful and victorious. During the Metru Nui flashback we were told the Nuva would be making their grand return in 2006. But when that year came, the Nuva are nowhere to be seen in the main story and the Inika are now the heroes for saving the All American Rejects or whatever. We're just supposed to be grateful that Greg squeezed the Nuva into a book or two in which they get utterly pulverised, and also that the new Toa have the names of some old Matoran despite having little resemblance in personality or appearance (part of the problem here being that these characters had been defined in media that Greg didn't write). On top of that, just when we were getting used to this new team with their second year, one of them dies, they disappear from the main story and the Nuva are abruptly brought back the year after, though now in weird forms that bear no resemblance to the ones we knew. This is not good storytelling.

I don't mind if they want to introduce a fresh set of main characters. But have the courage to kill or retire the old ones first.

While I do agree that the Matoran having some radically different personalities at times was problematic, it is something brought up in the story and at least they tried to "reshape" these characters. I mean, Matoro got development, as did Jaller and the rest were still likeable - bringing them to the forefront meant having to change them to fit the tone of that year, though how they went about it was debatable.

Still, appearances of these Matoran into Inika to Mahri or the Nuva in 2008 have no bearing on the storyline. This is all on the set designers. The story team simply has to come with a story to go with them, and to be honest I felt the storytelling was pretty solid for those 3 arcs regardless of redundantly designed and drastically altered versions of past characters. The fact that 2008 "Mistika" look nothing like 2002 "Nuva" is not an indication of storytelling quality in any way.

Also, the Metru Nui flashbacks never built the Toa Nuva to be making a grand return. I was actually surprised that they even got as much about them in 2006 as they did. The first half of 2006 was very much Piraka and Toa Nuva, but LEGO obviously had to put the former at the forefront because they have to sell toys, and the Nuva were already 4 years old by that time. Regardless of the outcome, this was a better storytelling device than 2007 where the first half had no previous characters at all. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

One of the worst aspects of the original line was the constantly changing main characters. Hated hated hated that. I don't want to see new Toa every three years. To me, that seems like the worst possible outcome.

That's the best thing they could do in my opinion. I don't want to see the Toa Mata getting upgraded/changed and re-released every single year. It'll be like Hero Factory. New characters make it more fresh. 

Edited by Toa Chronix
  • Upvote 4

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

While I do agree that the Matoran having some radically different personalities at times was problematic, it is something brought up in the story and at least they tried to "reshape" these characters. I mean, Matoro got development, as did Jaller and the rest were still likeable - bringing them to the forefront meant having to change them to fit the tone of that year, though how they went about it was debatable.

It wasn't a big problem in the case of characters that never got much development, like Nuparu. It was Kongu turning into the standard Air joker and Jaller being a pretty bland Fire 'lead' that was where a lack of consistency with the old Matoran personalities was most apparent.

Still, appearances of these Matoran into Inika to Mahri or the Nuva in 2008 have no bearing on the storyline. This is all on the set designers. The story team simply has to come with a story to go with them, and to be honest I felt the storytelling was pretty solid for those 3 arcs regardless of redundantly designed and drastically altered versions of past characters. The fact that 2008 "Mistika" look nothing like 2002 "Nuva" is not an indication of storytelling quality in any way.

Appearance plays a big part in a character being recognisable. If an actor playing a movie character is black, tall and bald, then in the sequel is replaced by a short, white actor with long curly hair, then it's going to seem very inconsistent, regardless of how consistent the character's dialogue or personality may be.

Also, the Metru Nui flashbacks never built the Toa Nuva to be making a grand return. I was actually surprised that they even got as much about them in 2006 as they did.

I meant that we on BZPower were led or at least allowed to think that in 2006 the storyline was going to return to the established heroes - the Toa Nuva and Takanuva. Greg never told us that anyone else would be replacing them. And from a purely storyline perspective, why wouldn't the Nuva be at the forefront? They were experienced, unified and at the height of their power, certainly far superior to a group of newly transformed Toa.

It wasn't a big problem in the case of characters that never got much development, like Nuparu. It was Kongu turning into the standard Air joker and Jaller being a pretty bland Fire 'lead' that was where a lack of consistency with the old Matoran personalities was most apparent.

I don't know, I think many people got preconceptions of the old Matoran personality when it was barely apparent back then as well. It's hard to say how much Hewkii and Nuparu changed when their roles prior were so brief you couldn't get a very accurate sense of it. Hahli seemed pretty constant throughout. Matoro was actually improved, as before we had never gotten a chance to delve into his personality.

Kongu turning into the comedic relief of the group was a bit jarring (but then again, probably owes itself to depictions of Lewa and Matau prior) and Jaller's change was almost natural, considering he was the Captain of the Guard. He went from naive Matoran in Mask of Light to serious hero in 2006, and the change reflected that. Again, I think 2006-07 were too fast-paced to actually get a really good feel for the Inika/Mahri, a complaint that you brought up earlier which I agree with.

Appearance plays a big part in a character being recognisable. If an actor playing a movie character is black, tall and bald, then in the sequel is replaced by a short, white actor with long curly hair, then it's going to seem very inconsistent, regardless of how consistent the character's dialogue or personality may be.

This is more a production issue. Back in BIONICLE's prime, LEGO was really -bent on changing characters so that every year would seem "fresh" - ensuring that kids wouldn't be bored with similar designs (which obviously isn't the case, considering the current themes Ninjago, Chima and Hero Factory using the same characters every year). It's safe to assume the Phantoka/Mistika were always meant to be the Nuva, but the designers were forced to use a design that looked different so as to adhere to LEGO's marketing policy.

It's unfair to use casting in a production as an example because changing the ethnicity of an actor would be evidently bad judgement on the producers part. There is limitations to having to write for something for which the main objective is to sell toys - and the writers always made sure to explain the differences in appearance as best they could (adaptive armour, Dark Destiny). It's not a perfect solution, no. But the writers don't always know how the final set will end up looking like and vice versa (for all we know, the original 2008 Toa could have been very VERY Nuva-like).

I meant that we on BZPower were led or at least allowed to think that in 2006 the storyline was going to return to the established heroes - the Toa Nuva and Takanuva. Greg never told us that anyone else would be replacing them. And from a purely storyline perspective, why wouldn't the Nuva be at the forefront? They were experienced, unified and at the height of their power, certainly far superior to a group of newly transformed Toa.

It's a fair point, and I can see why many were disappointed.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I liked the Inika, but I more like the idea of what they could've been than what exactly they were. I do agree that they were poorly handled and that their introduction was not good story-telling. As has been said, retiring the old toa seems to be the best resolution and allows a new set of character without cluttering the universe and making things weird. But this shouldn't be a problem anyway, considering the year is only planned for three years right now. I'd be very surprised if they replaced the Mata (Calling them that for convinience...) and didn't keep them as a centralized cast.

I agree. I don't want Kopaka 2.0 or whatever. Bionicle is better than that.

Sure, because making negligible changes to a set's build, adding 11% more pieces on average (from 36 to 40), raising the cost by a dollar, and sticking "Nuva" after each of their names is so much better than completely revolutionizing its build, adding 67% more pieces on average (from 18 to 30), leaving the cost unchanged, and sticking "2.0" or "3.0" after its name. :sarcastic: Just keep telling yourself that.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 8

Oh please. Sticking 'new' pieces on and giving them bigger and more outlandish weapons does not equal 'revolutionary'. And for the record, there are huge difference between the Nuva's 2002 and 2008 appearances.

Hero Factory was a joke. They can make all the fancy robots they want; nothing will ever top Bionicle's ingenious blend of lore and set line.  

• Upvote 1

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Oh please. Sticking 'new' pieces on and giving them bigger and more outlandish weapons does not equal 'revolutionary'. And for the record, there are huge difference between the Nuva's 2002 and 2008 appearances.

Hero Factory was a joke. They can make all the fancy robots they want; nothing will ever top Bionicle's ingenious blend of lore and set line.  

I'm pretty sure Aanchir was talking about Mata > Nuva

Also I'mma leave before this gets messy

I love Bionicle dearly but even I respect Hero Factory and its introduction of a revolutionary constraction system. Just cause it wasn't Bionicle doesn't mean it didn't innovate. It wasn't just "new pieces" - 2.0 changed just about everything about constraction. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Hero Factory could have worked, if it wasn't used to shove Bionicle out of the way and attempt to win some new fans over a completely new line because it was from

'The makers of Bionicle!'

Oh, and of course they had to copy the whole 'Six heroes vs. evil' thing Bionicle had going. They basically turned Bionicle into a modernized ization of itself and gave a huge middle finger to all of the old fans who were there since the beginning. Besides, who said they couldn't have used the new system? Did it have to before Hero Factory? No.

LEGO thought they could use that sticker on the front to make old fans forget how badly they botched the last year. They failed and upset a lot of people in the process.

• Upvote 2

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

You're on the right track. He uses the newer version of the triangle half-beam.

Wait, what? I can't believe I never noticed they introduced a new one, and I own some of the sets with it!

Hero Factory could have worked, if it wasn't used to shove Bionicle out of the way and attempt to win some new fans over a completely new line because it was from

Oh, and of course they had to copy the whole 'Six heroes vs. evil' thing Bionicle had going. They basically turned Bionicle into a modernized ######ization of itself and gave a huge middle finger to all of the old fans who were there since the beginning. Besides, who said they couldn't have used the new system? Did it have to before Hero Factory? No.

LEGO thought they could use that sticker on the front to make old fans forget how badly they botched the last year. They failed and upset a lot of people in the process.

The last year? I was seeing Stars. Edited by UngluedBike
  • Upvote 7

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Oh, and of course they had to copy the whole 'Six heroes vs. evil' thing Bionicle had going. They basically turned Bionicle into a modernized ######ization of itself and gave a huge middle finger to all of the old fans who were there since the beginning. Besides, who said they couldn't have used the new system? Did it have to before Hero Factory? No.

From what I hear, the people working on Bionicle were getting tired of it. They didn't want to introduce the new system because it was unique, therefore might cause backlash. Better to save it for a new theme entirely. Bionicle wasn't selling as well as LEGO wanted it to, in part due to the complicated story turning away new fans and older buyers losing interest.

So what better way to freshen things up then to create a new theme? That was LEGO's idea. Bionicle at that point was one of LEGO's most successful IP's, unique with an original story. Hero Factory would base its system around what Bionicle left behind. Why wouldn't they put "By the Makers of Bionicle?" It draws awareness to the new IP and also lets consumers know this isn't Bionicle and something entirely new.

Apparently, LEGO wasn't even going to release a final wave. The team working on Bionicle really had to push to get sets as small as the Stars out, because they knew an abrupt ending without closure would disappoint the fans significantly. The story had to be reworked but they tried their hardest to make the most out of the half-year they had left. 

Hero Factory wasn't made to appeal to the so-called "hardcore" fans of Bionicle. Sure, LEGO hoped that they could at least try to keep some fans on board by keeping some relatively similar themes but the main target was introducing constraction to a younger audience - the original target demographic. If something is failing, despite attempts to reboot it, then you have to revitalize it altogether. LEGO is a business and like it or not, their decisions revolve around how successful their product is and how much they can profit off of it.

-NotS

• Upvote 6

tahubanner.jpg

^^This.

Well said NoS, well said. Hero Factory wasn't great, but it isn't like it killed Bionicle.

I'm not sure exactly when TLG started working on the new CCBS though. Did they start planning for a change at the end of Bionicle and decide to save it for later, or make it up with the intro of HF? Because remember the first HF wave wasn't CCBS. Either way, Lego made the best decisions they could with ending Bionicle. HF could've definitely been better, but it was not fruitless.

From what I have been told, the CCBS system was "invented" about the same time BIONICLE was canceled internally, which was late 2008/early 2009. It was always meant to debut with HERO FACTORY, because it was such a drastic build change. The first HF wave may have been last minute, I have heard HF was meant to launch with the winter wave originally, but the desire to not go a wave without constraction on the shelves was low.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

That was one of the best aspects....

So I guess you would want us to stick to the same old Toa we have seen since 2001, and you don't want any 'new Okoto' Toa (if those exist)... 

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Jaller's change was almost natural, considering he was the Captain of the Guard. He went from naive Matoran in Mask of Light to serious hero in 2006, and the change reflected that.

The beef I have here is that Jaller's characterization in Mask of Light was itself a weird regression. He used to be stiff and formal, absorbed by his duties, determined. He was brought down to earth to make him a more relatable supporting lead in the film, but it came at the cost of his previous development.

I've long felt that Matoro never got any real character development through the Ignition arc. Apropos of nothing Greg suddenly had him sacrifice his life on the path to the mask of life, with his also apropos of nothing and with no build up announcement that he felt really useless so it made sense for him to be the one to die. And then later on he still felt that way so he sacrificed himself again and actually did die.

Maybe if we had been given a reason to care about Matoro, understand what he was feeling, it would have been some solid development. But it was just 'hey did I mention I feel useless? So I guess I should be the one to die huh.' It also contrasted weirdly with Matoro's collected, almost enlightened serenity given to him as a villager.

Edited by Pereki

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

So I guess you would want us to stick to the same old Toa we have seen since 2001, and you don't want any 'new Okoto' Toa (if those exist)... 

Well, it's easy to lose sight of a story if its cast shifts constantly. I could see new Toa being added to the team, maybe, but as has been said before, this Toa Team should only be disposed of when their story hits its end.

Yes, I would indeed absolutely want us to stick to the same Toa the entire time. Like I said, I fully and firmly believe that the changing cast was one of the biggest problems from the original line.

The idea that changing the main cast itself over and over is the only way to prolong a toy or media property is odd. Sure, many children's action shows change characters (new Power Rangers nearly every season, now), but others don't. I'm not opposed to new characters showing up, but unless there's an actual end to the character and mythological arc of these Toa, I absolutely definitively DO NOT WANT to see new characters take the spotlight as the main characters.

• Upvote 2

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Shifting focus from one main cast to another means having to set up new characters again. Giving introductions, motivations, etc. You have to start your characterization from scratch. But worse, you have to abandon the characterization you've put into your previous stars.

When we came back to the Toa Nuva as main characters in 2008, you had to reintroduce them for the sake of the story arc. Which effectively means that whenever they were not in the spotlight, they did not mature or grow at all as characters as you would have if we had always focused on them. We came back to the Toa Nuva as we had left them in 2002, six years prior, and they had not changed at all. An incredible but necessary disservice to beloved characters.

• Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert