OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I'd rather wait a couple years before putting out the 2.0 of the same characters.

thats fine as long as you're willing to go without the main characters for those couple years

If Bionicle wasn't a Lego line with toys or had the same sets in production for a long time, they could actually do that, but as it is I feel that upgrading or changing the characters is pretty necessary in order to have heroes every year.

• Upvote 1

To be honest I'm very surprised to see that people buy sets solely for their canon purpose. Seems a little silly if the set isn't good or particularly worth buying.

I'm personally in the same boat as Aanchir; The fact that a set may be a certain character that I like may influence my decision a bit more, but I'd still aim to get a set that is good as well. It really should be a bit of a mix of both.

I've been giving some thought to the "Protectors." From their set names, they're simply "Protector of ______." What do you think their actual canon names are, if they even have any?

I personally think they do and they simply called them Protectors with their element tagged on for set purposes. Same reason as why the Toa sets describe how the toa are masters of a particular element, to keep things more basic with people who are new or just being exposed to Bionicle.

• Upvote 1

I've been giving some thought to the "Protectors." From their set names, they're simply "Protector of ______." What do you think their actual canon names are, if they even have any?

Since there is absolutely no evidence for what their names could possibly be, any answer I give to that question can be considered a serious one, so I will abuse the privilege.

PoF: Honky Tonk

PoE: Scoobert Doobert

PoS: Lanky Kong

PoW: Sheev

PoJ: Simba

PoI: Speegle

(seriously though we don't even have any naming schemes to go by; the only name we have so far that isn't recycled from old Bionicle is Ekimu, and that's hardly enough to judge a general naming scheme from. I'd say it's impossible to guess what they might be named without being ridiculously off. They might not be named, and given the shortness of the animations, that's perfectly plausible, but it would be a shame if they were left nameless.)

• Upvote 3

Since there is absolutely no evidence for what their names could possibly be, any answer I give to that question can be considered a serious one, so I will abuse the privilege.

PoF: Honky Tonk

PoE: Scoobert Doobert

PoS: Lanky Kong

PoW: Sheev

PoJ: Simba

PoI: Speegle

(seriously though we don't even have any naming schemes to go by; the only name we have so far that isn't recycled from old Bionicle is Ekimu, and that's hardly enough to judge a general naming scheme from. I'd say it's impossible to guess what they might be named without being ridiculously off. They might not be named, and given the shortness of the animations, that's perfectly plausible, but it would be a shame if they were left nameless.)

He has no style, he has no grace. This Kong has a funny face. He can handstand when he needs to. And stretch his arms out, just for you. Inflate himself just like a balloon. This crazy Kong just digs this tune!

• Upvote 3

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I think it'd be pretty humorous if they didn't have any names. :P 

"Hey, Protector of Fire, how's it going?"

OR

"Hey everyone, this is my friend Protector of Earth".

"Hello Protector of Earth! What is your name?"

"My name is Protector of Earth..."

"Haha, good joke, no seriously what is your name"

"..."

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Does anyone have a good front-on picture of the new head?

Here's one on Pohatu.

And here's the NYCC slide showing it from the side.

EDIT: Found a completely straight look at the head, as well as a look at the eyestalk & a skull spider leg.

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I think it'd be pretty humorous if they didn't have any names. :P

"Hey, Protector of Fire, how's it going?"

OR

"Hey everyone, this is my friend Protector of Earth".

"Hello Protector of Earth! What is your name?"

"My name is Protector of Earth..."

"Haha, good joke, no seriously what is your name"

"..."

-NotS

I imagine they WON'T have actual names, but I don't think that the issue you suggest will be a problem, because I doubt anyone would be on a first name basis with them anyway. I see "Protector of X" as more of a title, and a highly respected one at that (for a real life example, consider the Dalai Lama, who has a name but is rarely referred to by anything other than his title). There is only one Protector of Fire, so referring to a character as "the Protector of Fire" should not leave any confusion as to who is being described.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah, well I don't do any of that. I've always placed the story first and building second. Back to my original question:

Who or what the heck is the Lord of Skull Spiders supposed to be? I swear if they start putting out generic villains instead of unique ones then I'm only buying the Masters and that's it.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Yeah, well I don't do any of that. I've always placed the story first and building second. Back to my original question:

Who or what the heck is the Lord of Skull Spiders supposed to be? I swear if they start putting out generic villains instead of unique ones then I'm only buying the Masters and that's it.

Well, that's like...the only thing they did for the first 5 years of the original Bionicle, so...maybe it is just a generic enemy? Possibly. But we have no real idea yet. All we know about it so far is that it's guarding some city or somesuch and that it's creepily stalking all the Masters in their boxes. Not exactly enough to know what its deal is just yet. 

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

The set I'm most excited for is Master Gali. I've always loved female Toa and who better to bring back for the reboot than the original? She has a super cool weapon and mask as well.

But just one thing: If I try to submerge her underwater to take awesome photos, would that ruin her or something?  

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

The set I'm most excited for is Master Gali. I've always loved female Toa and who better to bring back for the reboot than the original? She has a super cool weapon and mask as well.

I'm excited for Tahu, him being one of my first two Toa, but I think Kopaka's one of the best as well. He happened to one of my first Toa as well. :)

VBWj75sh.png

I'm going to buy Onua first at the same store where I got the original Onua back in 2001. Pretty sure I got all the original Toa at that particular store, actually.

But what if another store has Onua discounted? :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

But just one thing: If I try to submerge her underwater to take awesome photos, would that ruin her or something?

Gali's my favorite of the new Toa as well! I think she's a great design. She looks reasonably feminine, has an awesome weapon (with a great secondary function), and feels extremely well-suited for her environment due to her streamlined armor and mask. Her colors are also beautiful and well-organized.

As Lucina said, putting her underwater should be safe if you dry her off properly. In a swimming pool, I'd be less worried about mold and more worried about what the chlorine might do to the printed torso decoration, but I think the plastic itself should be perfectly safe (after all, plenty of pool toys are made of much less resilient plastics), and submerging her in water only briefly would probably not cause any lasting harm. If you were terribly worried about the decoration, you could always swap it for an unprinted one from a Hero Factory set, since hers is the sole chest plate that isn't its first appearance in that color.

Putting her in, say, a river or pond might be a bad idea. All kinds of stuff in those that could cause trouble.

• Upvote 2

The set I'm most excited for is Master Gali. I've always loved female Toa and who better to bring back for the reboot than the original? She has a super cool weapon and mask as well. But just one thing: If I try to submerge her underwater to take awesome photos, would that ruin her or something?

Gali's my favorite of the new Toa as well! I think she's a great design. She looks reasonably feminine, has an awesome weapon (with a great secondary function), and feels extremely well-suited for her environment due to her streamlined armor and mask. Her colors are also beautiful and well-organized.As Lucina said, putting her underwater should be safe if you dry her off properly. In a swimming pool, I'd be less worried about mold and more worried about what the chlorine might do to the printed torso decoration, but I think the plastic itself should be perfectly safe (after all, plenty of pool toys are made of much less resilient plastics), and submerging her in water only briefly would probably not cause any lasting harm. If you were terribly worried about the decoration, you could always swap it for an unprinted one from a Hero Factory set, since hers is the sole chest plate that isn't its first appearance in that color.Putting her in, say, a river or pond might be a bad idea. All kinds of stuff in those that could cause trouble.
What about the thigh stickers?

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

The set I'm most excited for is Master Gali. I've always loved female Toa and who better to bring back for the reboot than the original? She has a super cool weapon and mask as well. But just one thing: If I try to submerge her underwater to take awesome photos, would that ruin her or something?

Gali's my favorite of the new Toa as well! I think she's a great design. She looks reasonably feminine, has an awesome weapon (with a great secondary function), and feels extremely well-suited for her environment due to her streamlined armor and mask. Her colors are also beautiful and well-organized.As Lucina said, putting her underwater should be safe if you dry her off properly. In a swimming pool, I'd be less worried about mold and more worried about what the chlorine might do to the printed torso decoration, but I think the plastic itself should be perfectly safe (after all, plenty of pool toys are made of much less resilient plastics), and submerging her in water only briefly would probably not cause any lasting harm. If you were terribly worried about the decoration, you could always swap it for an unprinted one from a Hero Factory set, since hers is the sole chest plate that isn't its first appearance in that color.Putting her in, say, a river or pond might be a bad idea. All kinds of stuff in those that could cause trouble.

Gali doesn't have stickers at all. Kopaka and Onua are the only two sets with stickers.

• Upvote 1

Only Kopaka and Onua have stickers, and I probably wouldn't put them in the water. LEGO does make waterproof stickers, but they basically only use them for sets that are designed to go in the water (like the various floating boats and ships in LEGO City). Taking photos of Kopaka in the snow should be fine as long as you make sure to dry him off right away!

• Upvote 2

So apparently the Protector of Earth has a drill, looks more like a mace to me but ok I guess.

The way it works is more like a drill—it rotates when you twist the handle. Drills don't necessarily have to be conical in shape (most larger drills, like those on tunnel-boring machines, are nearly flat on the macroscopic level), and while one shaped exactly like the Protector of Earth's would be unlikely to work IRL, its transparent color might be intended to suggest that it's some sort of energy drill that can pulverize material like rock and earth.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

So apparently the Protector of Earth has a drill, looks more like a mace to me but ok I guess.

When I saw his "crystal star drill", I was struck by the similarity to the cutting head of a roadheader, a type of machine used for mining and excavating. By the loosest definition that could be considered a type of drill. Here's an example of a roadheader with a different style of drilling head.

• Upvote 2

I'd rather wait a couple years before putting out the 2.0 of the same characters.

thats fine as long as you're willing to go without the main characters for those couple years

I'm ok with that. Toas were my least favorite sets anyways. I prefer villains, but it looks like we only get one this year.

I meant without the protagonists as a whole, not just in sets, because sets decide story, so without protagonists in the sets, there are none in the story.

Ignoring the fact that there is an entire horde of antagonists represented by one in each set, we've only seen one wave for next year, and unless they for some idiotic reason skip the summer wave, we're definitely looking at at least a few more for that. Maybe another villain? Who knows? Nobody can say for sure. It seems a bit silly to say next year will only have on villain set, though, as by that standard, 2005 would have had no antagonists; after all, the Visorak and titans weren't released until the summer.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to buy Onua first at the same store where I got the original Onua back in 2001. Pretty sure I got all the original Toa at that particular store, actually.

If I go to the same store I got original Onua in, not only is there the nostalgia factor, but I also get a chance to make fun of the people of WalMart. Who would pass up such a golden opportunity? 

I'm ok with that. Toas were my least favorite sets anyways. I prefer villains, but it looks like we only get one this year.

Was I deluding myself on the assumption that there would be two waves a year? That like 13 sets would last for 6 months...

EDIT: quote boxes need 'redundant' space...

Edited by Iblis

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

POF: Vakama

POW: Nokama

POE: Whenua

POS: Onewa

POI: Nuju

POJ: Mataru

The way it works is more like a drill—it rotates when you twist the handle. Drills don't necessarily have to be conical in shape (most larger drills, like those on tunnel-boring machines, are nearly flat on the macroscopic level), and while one shaped exactly like the Protector of Earth's would be unlikely to work IRL, its transparent color might be intended to suggest that it's some sort of energy drill that can pulverize material like rock and earth.

Then his(?) drill shall pierce the Heavans.

The surprise was vampires!

What if I wanted to pose my Tahu in his element? HAWHAWHAW

Well than you better get some sort of fire-resistant covering for Tahu, because otherwise it might not turn out so well. And it'll be even worse if you try lava. :P

If I go to the same store I got original Onua in, not only is there the nostalgia factor, but I also get a chance to make fun of the people of WalMart. Who would pass up such a golden opportunity? 

Me. If I find out a store is selling the set I want for a cheaper price, and the store isn't far away, I'll go there rather than waste a dollar or two on nostalgia and making fun of people at Walmart.

I just noticed a mistake on the Bionicle website. The red CCBS 4-long shell on Tahu's upper arm is positioned with the rod holes facing forward, not outward. In his official artwork, which you can see below the header, he is pictured correctly.

Hmmm. Interesting. But did anyone notice he also has a hand that looks like the standard CCBS hand but with the fingers opened? If only that was actually possible. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.