OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I'm not even sure if there's only one LOSS. For all we know he might not even be the biggest villain of this year. We still have five other sets coming in.

I am pretty sure that LOSS is a generic villian and I am positive that I have seen more than one in a single official picture before, albeit slightly blurred in the background (I can't remember the picture atm). Besides, the Battle for the Golden Mask competition explicitly states that there is no main villain yet, otherwise I don't think there would have been a contest of such sorts.

Edited by Kuurai

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

I'm not even sure if there's only one LOSS. For all we know he might not even be the biggest villain of this year. We still have five other sets coming in.

I am pretty sure that LOSS is a generic villian and I am positive that I have seen more than one in a single official picture before, albeit slightly blurred in the background (I can't remember the picture atm). Besides, the Battle for the Golden Mask competition explicitly states that there is no main villain yet, otherwise I don't think there would have been a contest of such sorts.

The winner of the BftGM contest certainly isn't going to become the main villain, if that's what you're thinking. If they appear in the story at all it'll be as a briefly-featured side character, like the Tahtorahk or Krakua.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

BftGM contest

main villain

And apparently not this inspirational villain either...

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

BftGM contest

main villain

That thing looks so awesome. :P If that became a set it would probably cost like $60. :P

• Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

BftGM contest

main villain

That thing looks so awesome. :P If that became a set it would probably cost like $60. :P

Probably a good estimate. Unfortunately, there's never been a constraction figure worth more than $50 (the price of the 2004–2006 titan combos). The CCBS can work great for larger models but unfortunately there haven't been many sets to really showcase that versatility.

• Upvote 1

BftGM contest

main villain

Probably a good estimate. Unfortunately, there's never been a constraction figure worth more than $50 (the price of the 2004–2006 titan combos). The CCBS can work great for larger models but unfortunately there haven't been many sets to really showcase that versatility.

Hang on... *checks Brickset* ...Whoa! I always thought Toa Mata Nui was a $100 set, when he was really just a $50 one! :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

According to Brickipedia the 8539 Manas was $89.99.

Electrical set though...

Well, I can still hope that it turns up in a photo around an office or at a convention or something or just another photo of it; I want to make it; & even though it isn't a ..."official"? set I still want to replicate it properly first.

Just one of those things, every now and again I would pull apart some of my favourite 'OCs to rebuild a set.

I could probably make something similar to it (given time), but it wouldn't be as satisfying as being able to say this is it exactly. Otherwise I would always feel like I had done it wrong; it wouldn't be possible for me to feel I made anything better if it was ultimately me trying to make it. XD

I'm going to stop now, because I could ramble about this for far to long.

Edited by Iblis

I specified "figure" to rule out vehicle sets, but I suppose I forgot about the Manas (if you can call a creature with such limited articulation a "figure"). That price, of course, was almost entirely due to the über-specialized RC/Motor parts.

My point was that, as far as "titans" are concerned, there was never any that exceeded $50. And there hasn't been a $50 Titan since Bionicle ended. I'm sure Lego has the sales data to show that constraction sets of that size don't sell as well as more moderately-sized sets, but it's still a darn shame given that Lego designers repeatedly show how awesome a larger figure set could be.

• Upvote 2

I specified "figure" to rule out vehicle sets, but I suppose I forgot about the Manas (if you can call a creature with such limited articulation a "figure"). That price, of course, was almost entirely due to the über-specialized RC/Motor parts.

My point was that, as far as "titans" are concerned, there was never any that exceeded $50. And there hasn't been a $50 Titan since Bionicle ended. I'm sure Lego has the sales data to show that constraction sets of that size don't sell as well as more moderately-sized sets, but it's still a darn shame given that Lego designers repeatedly show how awesome a larger figure set could be.

Ah! My apologies.

Honestly it's why I've decided to prioritise my buying order mostly on amount of pieces: the pieces you have the less specific those pieces need to be, but the more detail the overall MOC can have; typically as BIONICLE gave less pieces to a set (Voya Nui & Karda Nui Matoran, as well as the Agori) the less I liked them because (aside from MOCing potential) they just ended up looking like dodgy ... not anything really; a huge chunk of plastic in a specific mold simply looked less aesthetically pleasing than an equivalent overall shape built with my pieces (even if to do that was very awkward on the 'inside'/'backside')

But on the other hand even if they where to only provide the minimal amount of different types of pieces (cost of molds) there really isn't a way for them to be able to then price anything of that size at $50 or less, ...So unless we can convince TLG that there are enough people that would pay a good $50+ every 4 months or so minimum (stretching it absurdly... in our favour) it really doesn't look like it is going to happen any time soon...

How many different types of pieces do you reckon one would need to make something that resembles this anyway?

Mind you I'm fairly certain that we can make something that invokes the same sort of atmosphere out of (Onua+LoSS+PoE)*3

Seriously the Protectors actually really make me happy because they are like a perfect booster pack piece wise, & I love the Toas designs.

Lord of Skull Spiders is going to be anthropomorphised!

Made more awesome. Yesh! :3

typically as BIONICLE gave less pieces to a set (Voya Nui & Karda Nui Matoran, as well as the Agori) the less I liked them because (aside from MOCing potential) they just ended up looking like dodgy ... not anything really; a huge chunk of plastic in a specific mold simply looked less aesthetically pleasing than an equivalent overall shape built with my pieces (even if to do that was very awkward on the 'inside'/'backside')

Why do you mention the Voya Nui Matoran in this phrase when they included no new molds amongst them? Like the Rahaga (actually moreso than the rahaga, given their lack of year-specific launcher) they were made completely of old pieces, and were actually the most diverse and interesting range of Matoran sets Bionicle ever had.

That said, I never knew they had so few pieces on average for a small set. It's a shame, because they're my favorite Matoran designs Bionicle ever had. They were innovative, creative, diverse, and were actually reasonably small, unlike the enormous Kardatoran.

• Upvote 5

typically as BIONICLE gave less pieces to a set (Voya Nui & Karda Nui Matoran, as well as the Agori) the less I liked them because (aside from MOCing potential) they just ended up looking like dodgy ... not anything really; a huge chunk of plastic in a specific mold simply looked less aesthetically pleasing than an equivalent overall shape built with my pieces (even if to do that was very awkward on the 'inside'/'backside')

Why do you mention the Voya Nui Matoran in this phrase when they included no new molds amongst them? Like the Rahaga (actually moreso than the rahaga, given their lack of year-specific launcher) they were made completely of old pieces, and were actually the most diverse and interesting range of Matoran sets Bionicle ever had.

That said, I never knew they had so few pieces on average for a small set. It's a shame, because they're my favorite Matoran designs Bionicle ever had. They were innovative, creative, diverse, and were actually reasonably small, unlike the enormous Kardatoran.

But the Kardatoran were only big because they were enlarged by the strong amount of light in Karda Nui. :P  Yeah, they were just a bit too big for Matoran, seeing as that the Toa Mata were only a bit taller. (And Tahu Stars was as small as them. :P )

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Sorry I wasn't clear;

In essence every instance of ; in that paragraph should have been a full stop as what was next was essentially a separate point.

The Voya Nui Matoran just did not look nice to me; it wasn't any fault of the component parts as such it was just a horrendous selection to put together IMO. My main gripe with them is however that their bodies and arms looked deformed; had they simply had more pieces I feel they would have been able to pull off the look they where each given — as their torsos could be easily reworked any number of ways with only a few more pieces. As for what would look good out of those options or what they actually did is of course just my subjective opinion, but I believe a few more pieces would have given them less ... love-hate options?

The Karda Nui Matoran actually do work for some of the other points I was trying to make; what is their central body piece for? Eww.

I loved the Rahaga, although as far as the 'Impulse' sets go the two Hydruka; Thulox & Morak are my all time favourites out of G1. Out of G1 (Impulse) Matoran though it would be (2003) Hafu. I'm sorry but the Voya Nui Matoran really just didn't do it for me; they do get plenty of points for inventiveness though!

They were essentially a convenient way to use up surplus pieces from previous years (Toa Metru masks being the most obvious).

• Upvote 3

They were essentially a convenient way to use up surplus pieces from previous years (Toa Metru masks being the most obvious).

Not so sure about that. They definitely seemed to be newly produced. The weapons are notable for being some of the first in the new pearl silver, and dalu's rau is a slightly different shade than Nokama's. More likely, they didn't want to make new molds due to the piraka and ignika ushering in the new bionicle system.

• Upvote 3

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

I can definitely see not wanting to use new molds playing a big factor in the design process of the Voya Matoran. Whether that was a good or bad idea is an entirely other issue. Personally, I think they wound up being one of the best Matoran designs overall.

It's that unique blend of different designs using more or less the same pieces that make the Protectors really keen to me. Despite all of them having the same "face" they are all unique in some way, and no two shares an exact design.

• Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I can definitely see not wanting to use new molds playing a big factor in the design process of the Voya Matoran. Whether that was a good or bad idea is an entirely other issue. Personally, I think they wound up being one of the best Matoran designs overall.

It's that unique blend of different designs using more or less the same pieces that make the Protectors really keen to me. Despite all of them having the same "face" they are all unique in some way, and no two shares an exact design.

I agree. In any case, you could always stick Kopaka's mask on the Ice Protector's face for a Matoro.

But wait... If Matoran -> Matoro, does Protector -> Protecto?  :P

• Upvote 1

It's a fun reversal how this time the masks are the only similarity between the builds instead of the only difference.

Are we talking about the Protectors, or the Toa? With the Toa there are also the chest patterns and gearboxes, and with the Protectors there are the blasters and feet, which are the same across all six sets. Not to mention the general height. The masks are definitely one of the BIGGEST similarities between the Protectors, but hardly the only one.
  • Upvote 1

It's a fun reversal how this time the masks are the only similarity between the builds instead of the only difference.

Are we talking about the Protectors, or the Toa? With the Toa there are also the chest patterns and gearboxes, and with the Protectors there are the blasters and feet, which are the same across all six sets. Not to mention the general height. The masks are definitely one of the BIGGEST similarities between the Protectors, but hardly the only one.

The Protectors.  Compared to other impulse-sized sets like the '01-'04 Matoran and Rahaga, in which all six shared a build but had different masks (and not even that for the Rahaga), it's interesting that this time we get varied builds with the same mask mold.

I guess "only" was the wrong word to use, but sets from similar waves are always going to share some pieces and design aspects anyway.  The Voya Nui Matoran were mostly varied and unique (except Garan and Velika), but they all used the same feet, even using the same foot for their torso.  (Except Kazi.  Kazi was weird.)  But they (mostly) all used their pieces differently.  Same here with the Protectors.  They all use the same CCBS base, but they've got varying shells and limbs, and their weapons are not only different but different as a result of their construction, not just reusing six separate weapon molds.

• Upvote 7

OpAXNpl.jpg

The Protectors.  Compared to other impulse-sized sets like the '01-'04 Matoran and Rahaga, in which all six shared a build but had different masks (and not even that for the Rahaga), it's interesting that this time we get varied builds with the same mask mold.

That's actually pretty funny. I guess this time around they get one new mask mold though, whereas past Matoran have all had the previously released masks (until 2008-09)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

The winner of the BftGM contest certainly isn't going to become the main villain, if that's what you're thinking. If they appear in the story at all it'll be as a briefly-featured side character, like the Tahtorahk or Krakua.

Makuta Miserix rings a bell here.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Makuta Miserix rings a bell here.

Makuta Miserix was never a main villain. even in the sorry serials he appeared in, he didn't really get much screentime to actually do anything important.

• Upvote 1

What's with all this arguing about who the main villain is? Last time I checked it was makuta wasn't it?

I think people mean the main villain for this year. It could be Makuta, but I think it'd be a waste to toss away one of the things that sets this apart from the original Bionicle (both brothers being asleep) so soon.

Edited by Lucina

What's with all this arguing about who the main villain is? Last time I checked it was makuta wasn't it?

I think people mean the main villain for this year. It could be Makuta, but I think it'd be a waste to toss away one of the things that sets this apart from the original Bionicle (both brothers being asleep) so soon.

Even so, it sounds to me like Makuta will be awake by the time the year is up. From the press release: "The new storyline takes place on the mythical island of Okoto, where the forces of darkness are on the move and the evil Makuta is once again materializing. He is overcome by the desire for the three mythic masks that will cast the world into darkness - the Mask of Creation, the Mask of Control and the Mask of Ultimate Power." I mean, it's possible that he's still asleep, but even so the description sounds like he's still somehow capable of pulling the strings.

Makuta's new role is seems to be equivalent to Sauron's role in The Lord of the Rings in many ways, so even without a physical, conscious body I think he might easily qualify as the main villain.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

If you want to count exclusive sets, I believe the Kardas Dragon was $70. That's almost cheating, though.

Edited by Wrinkledlion X

If you want to count exclusive sets, I believe the Kardas Dragon was $70. That's almost cheating, though.

According to Brickset, Kardas Dragon was just $50, like all the other three-titan combo sets. Which is pretty bizarre, considering that the component sets DID cost $70.

• Upvote 2

Even so, it sounds to me like Makuta will be awake by the time the year is up. From the press release: "The new storyline takes place on the mythical island of Okoto, where the forces of darkness are on the move and the evil Makuta is once again materializing. He is overcome by the desire for the three mythic masks that will cast the world into darkness - the Mask of Creation, the Mask of Control and the Mask of Ultimate Power." I mean, it's possible that he's still asleep, but even so the description sounds like he's still somehow capable of pulling the strings.

Makuta's new role is seems to be equivalent to Sauron's role in The Lord of the Rings in many ways, so even without a physical, conscious body I think he might easily qualify as the main villain.

Yeah, I remember reading the Percy Jackson Chronicles so many years ago and I imagine Makuta's new role to be like Kronos, or as you said, Sauron. Villains tend to do that. It's pretty nice seeing Makuta being the villain again, especially with the direction he's being taken.

I thought the Mask of Ultimate Power was the main villain. It appears to have a mind of its own that is stronger than even that of Makuta himself. 

• Upvote 1

I thought the Mask of Ultimate Power was the main villain. It appears to have a mind of its own that is stronger than even that of Makuta himself. 

I think the mask more corrupted him than took direct control of him. I like to compare it the One Ring from LOTR, except you have to wear it to have the effect (whereas the One Ring is so powerful it can very easily corrupt others without even touching them).

I'm still on the shelf about the stupid LOSS.

Also, please tell me the Toa don't have to put their golden masks on just to fight one tiny spider like the comic shows. That is terribly ridiculous and insane even by LEGO standards.

On the fence, you mean? :P

And don't worry—the Toa will probably be plenty capable of fighting even before they've gotten the gold masks. Note that the Toa don't even use elemental powers to defeat the spiders, because while that's what the masks do in-story, that's not something the sets can actually do. The comics in the instructions are meant to give a brief primer on the story as it relates to the set's contents and features, nothing more. Hence the formula: Protector guard mask, Spider control Protector, Toa want mask, Toa save Protector, Protector power up Toa. That's enough for kids to learn the characters' roles and set up the basic conflict. The actual animations will feature narration and dialogue, and won't be limited to a single page of an instruction booklet, so I have no doubt those will be able to go more in-depth in terms of characterization and action sequences.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

I still can't believe this is happening, Everything that I wanted is happening. its like a wonderful coma-dream.

Bionicle coming back.

No Farshtey

Using the awesome Hero Factory design

No Farshtey

Back to the simple island/jungle setting

No Farshtey

The original six Toa are back.

Best of all, for the first time Gali actually looks (reasonably) feminine!

Did I mention that I'm glad Farshtey's gone?

I still can't believe this is happening, Everything that I wanted is happening. its like a wonderful coma-dream.

Bionicle coming back.

No Farshtey

No Farshtey

No Farshtey

For some reason, I feel as if you might not like Greg Farshtey for some reason... :P

EDIT: Argh, typo ("now", instead of "not") that ruined the whole sentence. :P

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Bionicle coming back.

No Farshtey

No Farshtey

No Farshtey

Farshtey wasn't that bad. Sure, the story ended up suffering because he was given too much control over it but he still is a nice author and contributed many great things to the series. I don't think it's great to discredit the great things he's brought and only recognize him for his flops...

• Upvote 6