So, I Heard You Wanted To Know Rocka's First Name?

Like I said, it could be the producers or manufacturers of the DVD that got it wrong. We need to either wait for later factory runs of the DVD, or wait until next year to see if he is called or advertised as "Daniel" in any way.

The problem is, in regards to HS01, you don't get to decide that, nor do I. The TV series is the most vast and reliable source of storyline information, so just stop with the scepticism now that we've got proof, accept that his first name is Daniel and move on; it's not like it's the most pivotal or consequential piece of information we've ever gotten.

So instead of setting the record straight, they validate wikipedia vandalism? That really just doesn't sit well with me. Like I said, too late now, and I'm glad to have him named, but I wish they could have put just a bit more thought into it.

Like I said on another forum, I doubt LEGO even knew it was sourced from Wikipedia; the only place I believe they saw it was on their own Message Boards... A lot, so for the reasons I mentioned in my last post, they made it canon from that. Edited by Omicron Squad Leader

bzp_banner.jpg

Like I said, it could be the producers or manufacturers of the DVD that got it wrong. We need to either wait for later factory runs of the DVD, or wait until next year to see if he is called or advertised as "Daniel" in any way.

The problem is, in regards to HS01, you don't get to decide that, nor do I. The TV series is the most vast and reliable source of storyline information, so just stop with the scepticism now that we've got proof, accept that his first name is Daniel and move on; it's not like it's the most pivotal or consequential piece of information we've ever gotten.
Thing is, I'm not just saying for HS01 sakes. I'm saying it as a bit of info for everyone. I'm not being skeptic, so calm down, and don't think my whole life is the wiki.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Thing is, I'm not just saying for HS01 sakes. I'm saying it as a bit of info for everyone. I'm not being skeptic, so calm down, and don't think my whole life is the wiki.
I'd classify what you said more as advice than information. ;) Also, I'm not assuming "your whole life is the wiki", I'm just saying you should not have so much fixation on the matter of Rocka's name. Anyway, I can feel some tension brewing here, so I'm going to follow my own advice: Accepting it and moving on. Edited by Omicron Squad Leader

bzp_banner.jpg

I'm now going to call him Danny. To go along with that, I'll Photoshop his mane-like design on his helmet piece and make it look as if he were a 1950s greaser. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I'm now going to call him Danny. To go along with that, I'll Photoshop his mane-like design on his helmet piece and make it look as if he were a 1550s greaser. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

1550s? I think you mean 1950s. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gifBut seriously, I hope you're not kidding. He'd look RAD.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm now going to call him Danny. To go along with that, I'll Photoshop his mane-like design on his helmet piece and make it look as if he were a 1550s 1950s greaser. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

1550s? I think you mean 1950s. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gifBut seriously, I hope you're not kidding. He'd look RAD.
*cough*That never happened*cough*I'm actually not sure if I'm kidding or not. I guess I'll still call him Danny though... :sigh:

With the 2012 heroes listed as their last names, do you think LEGO will get rid of first names altogether?

No, because they haven't been labeling the sets with the first names since the first wave in 2010. Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Whelp, according to Bink, the story team never officially decided on it, and there's not going to be a change on HF.com (or presumably in the fourth wave), so I guess that solves that crisis. Shut it down, folks.On the other hand, this gives anybody who actually wants to call him a first name a fairly decent one. But for official purposes, he's just plain old Rocka.Gotta wonder what the DVD company was thinking. Maybe they're the ones putting too much stock in wikipedia vandalism XP

Henry winkler... Zib is the Fonz?!

I am known as Superhulk31, Novek, Vheran or Awesomesauceman on many games.

Half-Life 2 Episode 3 found!

Life is a game. Some hack it, some struggle, some slip by, some yell at the console, some just play. But you must know how to play to win.

banner.png

λ + Zombies = Awesomeness Chunky Gravy: the Webcomic!

Contact me if you wish to join the BZPASG group

Whelp, according to Bink, the story team never officially decided on it, and there's not going to be a change on HF.com (or presumably in the fourth wave), so I guess that solves that crisis. Shut it down, folks.On the other hand, this gives anybody who actually wants to call him a first name a fairly decent one. But for official purposes, he's just plain old Rocka.Gotta wonder what the DVD company was thinking. Maybe they're the ones putting too much stock in wikipedia vandalism XP

What I don't understand is why they didn't give him a name in the first place. It's not like it's going to take them a day to come up with something, more like a minute.Anyway, I will continue to call him "Daniel" because it sounds cool, as the story team seem to be oblivious to the fact that it would take them a minuscule amount of time to come up with a canon name.

bzp_banner.jpg

I don't think it's really fair to pin that on the story team; it's their choice not to come up with a name. It's not necessary for what they're doing, and they chose not to. It may not take a long time, but if they don't want to, then they don't have to.I'm more interested in who the real culprit is behind the name on the DVD, though. I guess someone who designed the credits read Wikipedia at some point, saw that false name, but didn't understand it as vandalism? *shrug*

I don't think it's really fair to pin that on the story team; it's their choice not to come up with a name. It's not necessary for what they're doing, and they chose not to. It may not take a long time, but if they don't want to, then they don't have to.I'm more interested in who the real culprit is behind the name on the DVD, though. I guess someone who designed the credits read Wikipedia at some point, saw that false name, but didn't understand it as vandalism? *shrug*

I would at least like a reason WHY they don't want to name him and end the confusion, since it would be so frickin' easy to do so in both respects.Or they saw the many posts affirming it from young/gullible fans. (Regarding the credits) Edited by Omicron Squad Leader

bzp_banner.jpg

It is a really big surprise that that sort of thing got through on the DVD. Since they've been so deliberately vague in the credits elsewhere (for instance, "Reporter" in RotR), I wonder why they'd even feel more detail was necessary. Maybe since Witch Doctor calls Stormer "Preston" a couple times they felt they ought to specify the first names, and wanted consistency among the Heroes.I also wonder if TLG will learn from that example and give Rocka a first name. Daniel would of course be ideal, since it's the one the fan community seems to be most open to, and the one that's now been reinforced in an official publication (even if not canonically). But in any event I don't want them to just leave him with no first name while still continuing to use the first names of the other heroes, because it will continue to leave fans with that question.

• 5 weeks later...

Spongebob is Rocka? I am in a state of disbelief...I just might watch this now.Though Daniel just doesn't go with Rocka.On the note of Spongebob, apparently my spellcheck accepts it as a word.=)

Edited by Space: Ocean of Awe

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

• 2 weeks later...

Wait. Rocka's name is Tom Kenny? :PKidding of course. Daniel actually seems like a very fitting name.Daniel Rocka. Such a strange ring to it...-V-

Here are some actually great comics that I feel deserve a bit more attention as well.

One Nation Under The Great Spirit - The Lazy Life of a Comic Maker 3.0 - 009 Makes Comics - Tilted - The Awesomepacolypse - Tavkorp: Since 2008 - Akano's Comics

Well, see you never again, BZP.

Muahahaha...Now I can still call him Jake... Daniel just didn't fit.~DD

Herp Derp

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel? That's interesting. NOT! Just adds to the argument that FF names are lame.

What does FF stand for? Best I can guess is an infantile mockery of the name Hero Factory, like "Fail Factory" or something.Anyway, Daniel isn't even his official name, if you'd read more than the first post.

Daniel? That's interesting. NOT! Just adds to the argument that FF names are lame.

What does FF stand for? Best I can guess is an infantile mockery of the name Hero Factory, like "Fail Factory" or something.Anyway, Daniel isn't even his official name, if you'd read more than the first post.
Yeah i did it's Jacob right? At least Bionicle names are interesting and mystical. IMO Robots shouldn't even be named. Or they should have names like 3.0TS-X or something.

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

Yeah i did it's Jacob right? At least Bionicle names are interesting and mystical. IMO Robots shouldn't even be named. Or they should have names like 3.0TS-X or something.
Wow, you're cynical. No, he has no official first name. So far his name is just "Rocka". Is that "mystical" enough for you?As for BIONICLE names being "interesting and mystical", that's a definite matter of perspective. In 2001 most of the names were just words from various polynesian languages, and no more inherently "mystical" than if Tahu had just been called "Flame". In 2003 it went further, as many of the Matoran in the MNOGII had actual names from various world languages. To a person from Finland, there's nothing mystical about the name "Kivi" or "Pekka". To a person from the Czech Republic the name Damek is no more mystical than its more formal counterpart, "Adam". ("Damek" is a Czech diminutive form of this name, which is derived from a Hebrew word for earth or soil-- but I doubt many Czech speakers would know its origins any better than most English speakers would!)Meanwhile, a lot of people started to feel names in BIONICLE began losing that mystical quality after TLG stopped plucking names from foreign languages and instead began modifying English words into more obvious puns, like "Carapar" or "Mutran".One advantage of Hero Factory using actual names is also pretty clear: it makes the characters more relatable. Plus, common English names make much more sense to some people. My dad always thought that many BIONICLE names were just silly, like "Takanuva". Who knows how many potential BIONICLE fans might have chosen not to buy a set because they felt the same way?There are plenty of robots in fiction that have names beyond simple numeric classifications-- especially if they're intelligent robots with personalities. It's not like numeric classifications make any more sense for intelligent robots than proper names do, particularly in a world pretty much entirely populated by robots. This is just one reason I hope Rocka someday gets a first name.

Wow, you're cynical. No, he has no official first name. So far his name is just "Rocka". Is that "mystical" enough for you?As for BIONICLE names being "interesting and mystical", that's a definite matter of perspective. In 2001 most of the names were just words from various polynesian languages, and no more inherently "mystical" than if Tahu had just been called "Flame". In 2003 it went further, as many of the Matoran in the MNOGII had actual names from various world languages. To a person from Finland, there's nothing mystical about the name "Kivi" or "Pekka". To a person from the Czech Republic the name Damek is no more mystical than its more formal counterpart, "Adam". ("Damek" is a Czech diminutive form of this name, which is derived from a Hebrew word for earth or soil-- but I doubt many Czech speakers would know its origins any better than most English speakers would!)Meanwhile, a lot of people started to feel names in BIONICLE began losing that mystical quality after TLG stopped plucking names from foreign languages and instead began modifying English words into more obvious puns, like "Carapar" or "Mutran".One advantage of Hero Factory using actual names is also pretty clear: it makes the characters more relatable. Plus, common English names make much more sense to some people. My dad always thought that many BIONICLE names were just silly, like "Takanuva". Who knows how many potential BIONICLE fans might have chosen not to buy a set because they felt the same way?There are plenty of robots in fiction that have names beyond simple numeric classifications-- especially if they're intelligent robots with personalities. It's not like numeric classifications make any more sense for intelligent robots than proper names do, particularly in a world pretty much entirely populated by robots. This is just one reason I hope Rocka someday gets a first name.
I know all about the use of foreign language in anmes. In fact, when i build a MOC, th first thing I do is look up on Bing Translate for a cool name. The very foreigness of the names appeals to me.

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

Tell that to the many fans of Optimus Prime. Edited by Makaru
Leet removed.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Tell that to the many fans of Optimus Prime.
Ha, I don't even follow transsformers.

Tom Kenny is also the voice of Jetbug and Evo.

I always thought it interesting that Mark Hamill voiced Von Nebula. =P Edited by Makaru
Leet removed

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

I heard his name was "Daniel" from some unofficial sources a long time ago, but this is the first time it's been referenced straight from Lego. I don't see any reason not to put it on Herosector01... :shrugs:

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I heard his name was "Daniel" from some unofficial sources a long time ago, but this is the first time it's been referenced straight from Lego. I don't see any reason not to put it on Herosector01... :shrugs:

Because HS01 has gotten confirmation from an actual source at The LEGO Group (Kelly McKiernan, a.k.a. Binkmeister on this site) that the name Daniel is not his official first name, and that putting it in the credits was a decision made by the DVD manufacturers and never approved by TLG.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I point out that the Breakout Bios just call him Rocka while the other heroes get their Two-Names Version

The same was true with the Savage Planet bios, and the Breakout bios are the exact same ones used for those characters in all previous waves, so it's really no surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

I know all about the use of foreign language in anmes. In fact, when i build a MOC, th first thing I do is look up on Bing Translate for a cool name. The very foreigness of the names appeals to me.
That actually gives some meaning to the names. I liked how the foreign names described a character's nature. The names William, Daniel, Duncan, Preston, Mark, Julius, Natalie, etc. essentially mean nothing, except for random name origins, and are quite boring. If you had a classmate named Tahu, then you would instantly recognize the name and start pestering him about it. :P But if his name was William, you wouldn't assume he was named after Furno, now would you?

aouROFb.png

That actually gives some meaning to the names. I liked how the foreign names described a character's nature. The names William, Daniel, Duncan, Preston, Mark, Julius, Natalie, etc. essentially mean nothing, except for random name origins, and are quite boring. If you had a classmate named Tahu, then you would instantly recognize the name and start pestering him about it. :P But if his name was William, you wouldn't assume he was named after Furno, now would you?
One of the people I chat with online has the first name Aiden, which is an alternate spelling of Aodhan, but I don't make a big deal of him sharing a name with a Po-Matoran.The Hero Factory first names might not have a lot of meaning, but they do have a good deal of personality. I certainly think names like Preston and Merrick are well-suited to "leader" characters, while Nathaniel is well-suited to a scientist character like Zib. I actually much prefer names like this to more bizarre names like Quadal and Thornraxx. The last names for many of these characters also provide the added "meaning" for those who prefer the names to say something about the "nature" of the character. If the first names are bothersome you can easily ignore them, as they're almost never used, with the exception of Preston Stormer's first name which every major villain seems to know him by. If you want a name with "foreignness", there's always Akiyama Makuro. :PWhile the BIONICLE set names often offer a "genius bonus" for those who can identify where they come from, to the average person who hasn't done any prior research they tend to just be weird character names. This appeals to some people and turns off others.

Um...if this is a new discovery, then how did I already know his first name was Daniel before seeing this?

Because the first reports of this being his name were unsourced edits to Wikia. Then the DVD credits seemed to suggest that this had in fact been LEGO's official name for him. Recently, however, it was confirmed by LEGO employees that Daniel is not in fact his official name, and the DVD producers must have taken the name from fanon instead of an official source. As it is, there's still no known official name for Rocka. It's all horribly muddled, and makes me wish LEGO had just given him a name like the others at the start so that this whole mess could be avoided.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother