The Bionicle Digital Library

Vraiment

I personally think this is a grand idea, and at the right time too. With Bionicle coming back next year there'll definitely be new guys who want to check out the franchise's past.

Alternatively: why rip your book apart when you can wallow in the joy of typing it word for word, letter by letter, and save it as a PDF or something? Even though it'd probably be 300 times more frustraing than just scanning every page, it might be useful to those who want to copy/paste the text for whatever reason.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

Alternatively: why rip your book apart when you can wallow in the joy of typing it word for word, letter by letter, and save it as a PDF or something? Even though it'd probably be 300 times more frustrating than just scanning every page, it might be useful to those who want to copy/paste the text for whatever reason.

If you use an OCR on the scans, you can C&P the resulting text. 

Glad to be of help. For the record, I had trouble using OCRs on scans of the books earlier, but these may be of higher quality. Good luck.

I'm testing OCRs right now, it seems they actually work.

Excellent! Let me know when you're done! :)

(FTR I have most of the books in paper format, but this will be nice for referring/quoting stuff. :))

Yes id love for this to happen, i too was looking for the digital copies of the books online when i found out BIONICLE was coming back next year, so this is great as i already own all the Chronicles series and all the encyclopaedias 

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I've actually been OCR'ing all the books as well with a similar goal. Shall this be a joint effort? :P

That sounds just like it. I mostly toyed with an only OCR service, it returned mostly good results but it'd cost 35 bucks to convert all the bucks. Tomorrow I'll test with a Windows software I already own but in another PC.

What is your progress?

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

I personally think this is a grand idea, and at the right time too. With Bionicle coming back next year there'll definitely be new guys who want to check out the franchise's past.

Alternatively: why rip your book apart when you can wallow in the joy of typing it word for word, letter by letter, and save it as a PDF or something? Even though it'd probably be 300 times more frustraing than just scanning every page, it might be useful to those who want to copy/paste the text for whatever reason.

Because I don't have time and I expect an OCR can also grab the formatting of the book.

That's a pretty good reason.

I'd totally forgotten OCRs were a thing. That's a much better course of action.

Update of the situation:

Adobe Acrobat sucks much... The results for OCRing the first Bionicle Chronicles book yielded results in the range of ok to complete garbage.

On the other hand this web service did a fast and excellent job, the downside is it only have 25 free pages. If you want to scan more pages you have to buy them, and converting all the books will cost $40 bucks approximately. I'm hesitant to pay that amount because despite the excellent results from the first 25 pages, nothing guarantees the rest of the books will yield also good results.

So the list of options available:

• The "VERY SLOW": Transcript by hand the images provided by the tumblr.
  • The "just slow": Pass the books by Adobe Acrobat and then fix the errors it might throw (which are likely to be a huge lot).
  • The "destructive": Return to the original plan and pass the books through a good scanner, and then by Acrobat again, it might yield the same results.
  • The "expensive": Use "Free Online OCR" at pray the results are good for all the books.

I think the best option is the last one, but I have to convince myself is worth paying it.

Because I don't have time and I expect an OCR can also grab the formatting of the book.

First three books have been OCR'd, and I'm currently just working out the errors. I'm actually using Acrobat XI Pro and getting decent results. The online one is better but it's definitely cost-prohibitive. I'm also trying to make really accurate digitized versions, chapter art, font and all, so going through and correcting errors manually isn't a big deal for me.

Bliss.png

First three books have been OCR'd, and I'm currently just working out the errors. I'm actually using Acrobat XI Pro and getting decent results. The online one is better but it's definitely cost-prohibitive. I'm also trying to make really accurate digitized versions, chapter art, font and all, so going through and correcting errors manually isn't a big deal for me.

I'm also using Acrobat XI Pro and  I get entire pages of garbage, this is the result of the OCR from the second page of Tale of the Toa:

dWI hid bnM.IFt him here. Near It he saw s
red camponena ~ on the sand. Two turn.
out ID be blades. shlf ed Imo the form of leaplrw
red "1 m11 TI,., Raed toged1er into a sword.
the tw.de sic:lMa comfortably in his clawed hand.
.. wh• hi swuna the sword, It felt heavy and
Mltward.
He scowled. "'Useless hunk of metal:' he
Flltflm ed. jl~ the blade into the sand.
Thin hi nodced the mask. It stared up at '*" wid1 Pf4nl 9)49holes, iU surface catching the
...... ., so d111t It appeared to come alive in his
hinds. Taking a deep breath, Tahu lifted the mask
to hlsflce.
A surge of power coursed through him.
Y•! This was more like It!
Tahu srabbed the flame sword and lifted it.
This dme, to his surprise, the blade was glowlftl
wld1 crimson flre . When he swung the sword It
si•zlld ~ t:he air, trailing sparks In Its wake.
'"Y•! Tahu said with grim satisfaction.
'"Now we're &«tins somewhft:•
Bue Wll hel He let the sword fall to his
What settings are you using? Edited by Vraiment