Ideas for Mask Attachments

Banana Gunz

So in Bionicle mask attachments are a thing. That's really cool, but we only ever got like two or something (the scopes/eye pieces on the Akaku and Matatu). So I was wondering what other ideas you fellows had for mask attachments?

I like the idea of a cubic battery pack on attached to a mask. Also a radio with an antenna! Flowers too, in my head-canon Macku always wears a flower on her mask. gotta impress them sexy po-matoran

Well when he turned into a Hordika, Nuju's mask gave him the ability for heat sensing, so that'd be an interesting appliance for a mask (in case you didn't want telescopic vision per se). Also, for his adaption armor, Kopaka's mask gave him a laser sight as well, so in case you're a sniper that helps too. :)

How about a Kraata protection? Not sure how it would be applied exactly, but one could have some sort of cover or something over the mask to keep the infection from the Kraata off (couldn't work with Shadow Kraata, but fortunately those are rare haha)

Or maybe a breathing apparatus, so that you can use that mask in case you didn't want to use a Kaukau all the time, you could use the normal mask (say a Kakama for example) and can use it underwater for a time.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

A few ideas came to mind:

An underwater breathing apparatus, à la Thunderball (or The Phantom Menace). To keep things balanced, it couldn't let you stay under as long as an actual Kaukau, but even a few minutes worth of air could be handy.

Similarly, some kind of filter to allow the wearer to breathe toxic air.

Something to improve hearing abilities, or to dampen loud noises (or both).

Edit: Partially ninja'd. I guess great minds think alike. :P

Edited by John Smith

I love the idea of an apparatus for toxic air, though not so much water (it would make Kaukau's pointless...).

Kraata protection over the mask sounds cool. It could work like the brain attack visors!

The idea of a sound depressor also sounds great! Would work great for those darned De-matoran!

I think a lot of the more technologically advanced sorts of mask attachments that you see on Hero Factory helmets — cameras, microphones, radio antennas, etc. are somewhat out-of-place on BIONICLE masks (yes, I know the original Akaku Nuva had a microphone molded onto it, and it still bothers me to this day). I don't think all mask attachments have to seem pre-industrial, necessarily (I'm fine with the Akaku's lenses, or the tubes and vents on many masks that resemble breathing gear), but if you make the basic masks too high-tech looking, they lose some of their "magic".

In general, I'm fine with most of the sorts of attachments we saw on actual BIONICLE masks — even the more high-tech ones we saw with the Adaptive Armor. The original Akaku Nuva is the only one where I feel they were venturing into territory that I felt didn't make sense for the theme. Why would you even NEED a microphone on a mask of X-Ray Vision? Imagining Kopaka using voice commands for his mask ("OK, Akaku, increase magnification 50%") just seems silly to me.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I think a lot of the more technologically advanced sorts of mask attachments that you see on Hero Factory helmets — cameras, microphones, radio antennas, etc. are somewhat out-of-place on BIONICLE masks (yes, I know the original Akaku Nuva had a microphone molded onto it, and it still bothers me to this day). I don't think all mask attachments have to seem pre-industrial, necessarily (I'm fine with the Akaku's lenses, or the tubes and vents on many masks that resemble breathing gear), but if you make the masks too high-tech looking, they lose some of their "magic".

I agree, but some ideas like the 'battery pack' are meant to look simple and outdated. It would be kind of boxy and rusty. Same for the radio. I'm imagining this on Mata-Nui so it would add the the "old robots on a tropical island" feel.Though I get what you mean, going too high tech isn't a great idea. We don't need any hologram projectors on them.

Another idea I had was for goggles and maybe a light stone attached. And basic magnifying glasses (like the system/mini-fig part). Those would look cool for Onu-Matoran! And I just realized the candles attached to the top of Onu-matoran miners counts as an attachment as well. 

Another idea that's already been used is masks that have covered eyeholes to shield the Toa's eyes from the environment (the Kaukau, and some of the Mahri's masks, and some of the adaptive armor) you could add a "sunblock" feature to dampen light just in case you're in a very very bright environment (no idea where that'd be exactly, maybe Karda Nui)

Edit: That feature could help Onu-Matoran/Toa above the surface because they're sensitive to daylight.

Edited by Iron_Man5

Formerly Iron_Man5

I like the idea of attachments for masks. They can improve a mask's usage for a Toa and help Matoran in certain conditions(Like Matoro using his lenses to see the Muaka). I think an eye cover for Kakama would make sense.

Since we're at the topic, are the lenses in the Akaku an actual part of the mask ? I mean, Akaku is the mask of X-Ray vision, not the mask of enhanced vision. Noble versions don't have lenses, also.

I like the idea of attachments for masks. They can improve a mask's usage for a Toa and help Matoran in certain conditions(Like Matoro using his lenses to see the Muaka). I think an eye cover for Kakama would make sense.

Since we're at the topic, are the lenses in the Akaku an actual part of the mask ? I mean, Akaku is the mask of X-Ray vision, not the mask of enhanced vision. Noble versions don't have lenses, also.

I think the Akaku scope is actually indeed an attachment.

I like the idea of lenses and eye covers. Head-canon fo days!

I think a lot of the more technologically advanced sorts of mask attachments that you see on Hero Factory helmets — cameras, microphones, radio antennas, etc. are somewhat out-of-place on BIONICLE masks (yes, I know the original Akaku Nuva had a microphone molded onto it, and it still bothers me to this day). I don't think all mask attachments have to seem pre-industrial, necessarily (I'm fine with the Akaku's lenses, or the tubes and vents on many masks that resemble breathing gear), but if you make the basic masks too high-tech looking, they lose some of their "magic".

In general, I'm fine with most of the sorts of attachments we saw on actual BIONICLE masks — even the more high-tech ones we saw with the Adaptive Armor. The original Akaku Nuva is the only one where I feel they were venturing into territory that I felt didn't make sense for the theme. Why would you even NEED a microphone on a mask of X-Ray Vision? Imagining Kopaka using voice commands for his mask ("OK, Akaku, increase magnification 50%") just seems silly to me.

I never saw that part of the mask as a microphone, until you pointed that out. You just ruined my favourite Kanohi Nuva for me. :P

Jokes aside though, I never really thought about Kanohi attachments too much. But after reading some of the ideas in this thread I think the concept is pretty cool if done right. Like Aanchir said, a lot of high-tech equipment would probably feel out of place though and the attachments should suit the environment.

Edited by doodleloot

Hail Denmark

To all of your ideas, I have only this to say: needs moar gun.  :P

But yeah, mask laser thingies.  Those would be cool.  Kinda like the head-mounted machine guns from Gundam stuff, except, y'know, Bionicle-y.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Most of the ideas I've had are mainly for aesthetics, but having add on's with functionality (story-wise) is definitely cool.

I also love the idea of mask painting and adding designs to make them feel even more "islander-ish" (because words). And not just that wack silver paint we got in 2004 that ruined the matoran and started Bionicle's Silver Binge Age (can we please all call it that officially now?  :P ). Actualy cool designs like little waves for Ga-matoran, flames for Ta-Matoran, and mostly just cool patterns and designs in general.

*insert retractable antenna for the mask of sonar here*

*insert opinion on how cool that would be here*

Edited by Banana Gunz

Of all the elements, I've seen Ice using additional scopes on their Kanohi the most.

But does that mean an Ice Matoran could be wearing a Hau with a scope?

Does that also mean there are Akaku without scopes?

I always presumed it was part of the Kanohi from the very beginning...

• Upvote 1

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

I'm assuming that the scopes are common among Akaku, if only for the reason that every single one that the Toa Mata collected had them haha (not to mention the Akaku Nuva, but those were made by Artahka, so he could've easily made those with special scopes)

Looking from Lego's point of view;

Why spend extra on the same mask without scope?

I'm assuming that the scopes are common among Akaku, if only for the reason that every single one that the Toa Mata collected had them haha (not to mention the Akaku Nuva, but those were made by Artahka, so he could've easily made those with special scopes)

Of course that's the realistic answer lol 

Formerly Iron_Man5

According to BS01, Akaku are outfitted with the scopes to increase the masks utility (exact wording is "give their users enhanced vision).

There are a lot of possible mask attachments, but might I suggest, say, a folding target reticle for the Mask of Accuracy? Help fine tune what exactly you're aiming at, and then let the mask to all the work getting the object where you've decided to put it.

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

According to BS01, Akaku are outfitted with the scopes to increase the masks utility (exact wording is "give their users enhanced vision).

There are a lot of possible mask attachments, but might I suggest, say, a folding target reticle for the Mask of Accuracy? Help fine tune what exactly you're aiming at, and then let the mask to all the work getting the object where you've decided to put it.

And just when I thought the Sanok couldn't get more awesome. I'd pay good money to get one of those if they were manufactured. 

bZpOwEr

Oh man, that target reticle thingamajig sounds real cool! 

I've also come up with the idea of face guards, like on American football helmets. This would primarily be used for Khollii matches. Gotta keep dem masks all nice and protected, y'know?

Of course that's the realistic answer lol 

Yup, always looking at it too realistically ^^;

And just when I thought the Sanok couldn't get more awesome. I'd pay good money to get one of those if they were manufactured. 

There's always doing it yourself... with a bit of glue and all...

Say, that would mean there are also the Mahri Kanohi versions completely without all those breathing gear stuff on it.

I always considered that they were just detachable equipment.

Edited by Tattorack

@Tattorak

That's how I always saw the Mahri masks too!

@Nidhiki of the Shadows

Yes. Call it another Hafu original. (Hey, if anyone's gonna wear sunglasses, it's Hafu).  :D

Glad I wasn't the only one who came up with that XD

I see sunglasses being a major problem and never quite trending among Matorans though...

Considering that the shapes of Kanohi are extremely diverse, not everybody would be able to wear one.

The only way it could work would be if a Matoran/Toa removes his/her Kanohi, since their heads are largely the same no? (but that would risk people passing out and all...).

@Tattorak

That's how I always saw the Mahri masks too!

@Nidhiki of the Shadows

Yes. Call it another Hafu original. (Hey, if anyone's gonna wear sunglasses, it's Hafu).  :D

Glad I wasn't the only one who came up with that XD

I see sunglasses being a major problem and never quite trending among Matorans though...

Considering that the shapes of Kanohi are extremely diverse, not everybody would be able to wear one.

The only way it could work would be if a Matoran/Toa removes his/her Kanohi, since their heads are largely the same no? (but that would risk people passing out and all...).

Lol you're taking that too seriously. I'm sure there are more viable ways of adding eye protection to masks (in fact some have been mentioned here already). Sunglasses are just a funny thought because you usually wouldn't imagine a matoran wearing them!

The Faxon and some of the Phantoka Kanohi are a good example of Kanohi with optional eye protection. I like to think my MoC Le-Toa has the 'glass' in his Faxon to handle the blasts of wind he tosses around. Heck, the Le-Metru test pilots.probably had something similar.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

What about Bonkle sunglasses

-NotS

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I don't know how realistic, Bionicle-wise, it would be though. but they could have that something that could help shade their eyes from the sun. Maybe like the visors the Toa Mahri had with their Kanohi? I think that could be plausible.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png