LEGO Apparently Slips Up and Confirms BIONICLE Again

Hapori Tohu

A very clever Brickset member has observed that the mysterious teaser on Twitter (see this story) has also been posted on LEGO's Google+ page where the image's filename is "Bionicle-4-new.jpg". Poor LEGO is getting all its surprises spoiled these days. Stay tuned to the announcement this Friday! -- Adrian

View the full article

• Upvote 9

Somewhere out there, a lego executive is facepalming really hard right now. :P

But anyway, I'm kind of wish this wasn't revealed in the image's filename. But only because I wanted to see everyone's surprised reactions on Friday. But that's just me.

• Upvote 5

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Lego's made so many blunders recently, I almost wonder if this was done intentionally, as an "Easter egg" (not quite the right term) for sharp-eyed fans.

This is actually what I've been thinking as well. There's almost no way this hasn't been intentional. It's pretty common knowledge that you can copy an image URL and see what it is, so if they wanted to keep it really hidden they'd probably called the image "Secret-4" or something like that.

• Upvote 3

No matter how hard they try to keep this under wraps, the online AFOL community will always be too good at finding things out early.

• Upvote 4

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Either that, or they haven't anticipated a fight against tech-savvy adults. :P Seriously, I imagine that after this an entire meeting is going to be called about leaks and online security measures. 

Or maybe, given everything that has leaked, including the image we found and the coming soon page, they just don't care anymore. That cat is already out of the bag and doing hula dances by now. 

• Upvote 4

No matter how hard they try to keep this under wraps, the online AFOL community will always be too good at finding things out early.

It's like how Valve's attempt to make a super complicated ARG for MVM ended with it getting solved in 12 hours instead of what they expected to be weeks.

The internet is a powerful collective.

• Upvote 2

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

I feel so bad for Lego that they keep slipping up. They're probably real upset right now if this isn't intentional. It's possible for the next few days that they change it, in fact very likely. Even poor Lego's official announcement has to get thwarted...

I wonder how many of these online revelations the people at Lego are aware of.

All of them. They're very in touch with the online community. They're aware of it pretty much as soon as we are.

• Upvote 2

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

All of them. They're very in touch with the online community. They're aware of it pretty much as soon as we are.

Yeah. Lego's always been in touch with BZP - remember just a month or so ago when the company asked BZP to set up a survey about the Lego Magazine?

• Upvote 1

Yeah. Lego's always been in touch with BZP - remember just a month or so ago when the company asked BZP to set up a survey about the Lego Magazine?

More than just BZPower. Probably very soon after this discovery was originally posted on Brickset it was on LEGO's radar.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

The word Bionicle in that image's URL is probably either an accident, or just the first thing they came up with when naming that image, or Lego messing with our heads.

Yeah.  And the leaked images are fake/not Bionicle.  And the image on Lego.com is fake/not Bionicle.  And the 'Coming Soon' message was an error in site reorganizing.  And the.......

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

And yet, half the comments section will continue to insist it's LEGO Fantastic Four. 

Which would be pretty disappointing, frankly, so I'm glad we don't have to worry about it.

Edit: Just to avoid misunderstanding, I mean disappointing not just because I'm not a fan of the FF, but because we'd have a big, hype-building announcement for something that's just another subdivision of the Superheroes line, which would be a bit of a letdown for all but the most rabidly enthusiastic fans.

Edited by Solomon Kane

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Oh, now they're just doing it on purpose. Excuse me, I need to go outside and screech at the top of my lungs because HYPE TRAIN

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

More than just BZPower. Probably very soon after this discovery was originally posted on Brickset it was on LEGO's radar.

Yep, Brickset users often jokingly refers to the "Brickset effect" whereby anything that's not supposed to be revealed gets taken down shortly after it's reported as news on Brickset. Unless, of course, it's something like this that won't matter in a week or so anyway.

i mean the fact that the tiles were in the six elemental colors (save the yellow for poh(highligter)atu) should've been a big indicator but i guess that could've meant anything

Especially since less than a year ago LEGO used the same six colors to tease the green classic spacemen in the Exo-Suit (they're all the classic LEGO spaceman colors, plus green). :P
  • Upvote 1

Yep, Brickset users often jokingly refers to the "Brickset effect" whereby anything that's not supposed to be revealed gets taken down shortly after it's reported as news on Brickset. Unless, of course, it's something like this that won't matter in a week or so anyway.

The Brickset effect has a second definition whereas if something is linked to by Brickset News, it often is a noticeable spike in the linked site's analytics (Google Analytics, Quantcast, etc) and/or it causes the linked site to crash due to all of Brickset's traffic. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Like some other folks, I'm wondering if Lego leaks this stuff intentionally just to get people excited. I'm pumped and I plan on purchasing all thirteen sets because I'll have enough money and also because I know that my money along with other long time fans cash can really support Lego in continuing Bionicle's return for a while. I can see that Lego has really put in the effort for the return of our favorite Lego theme, whether the story for the toyline is a continuation, reboot or prequel.

Edited by Rooster Nui

I love this news title, by the way. It makes Lego sound like some precocious and absentminded youngster.

"Hahaha, Lego, you silly billy. You accidentally confirmed Bionicle AGAIN!"

Also, this article title would feel completely different if Bionicle WEREN'T coming back.

"Lego, you confirmed Bionicle's return AGAIN. It's on the set list for next year despite not shipping out to any retailers. You've done this every single year since it ended and it's not funny anymore. STAHP."

I suppose Lego playing dumb about its return in the lead-up to it is preferable to the opposite—telling us it's coming back when it's not. :P

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 10

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Like some other folks, I'm wondering if Lego leaks this stuff intentionally just to get people excited.

They don't. They very very don't.

Well, a few other people, but yes, not that many people are wondering if it was actually intentional, sigh...

EDIT: Like some other folks, I'm wondering if Lego leaks this stuff intentionally just to get people excited. 

I'm such an idiot for thinking this.

Edited by Rooster Nui

I do wonder what exactly the "4" means.

4-day countdown til the announcement

If that's the truth, then I'll be especially pleased.

That's the whole point of the image in the first place. We knew it was a countdown hours before we found proof that it was referring to Bionicle.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It would be pretty hilarious if this all turned out to be a crazy attempt to throw rip-off brands for a loop.

Honestly I don't think Lego cares enough about rip-offs to go to such ridiculous lengths to fool them.

Also, my hype levels are off the charts. Here's hoping they appear in stores before Christmas.

CHOO CHOO!

andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg