Official Rare & Promotional Collectibles Topic

Letagi

On 6/11/2021 at 11:15 PM, Letagi said:

Thanks for keeping this topic going guys! I get an email every time someone posts so it's been on my mind to update the first post for a while. Finally got around to it today.

Absolutely flabbergasted at the going rates for some of these pieces, especially the protodermic Kanohi Nuva and 2001 misprints.

-L

While you're here again, I thought I'd ask you about the pearl Keelerak shells. I'm like 99% sure they don't exist, since I've never seen a photo of one or anyone claiming to have one. I'm also under the impression that the pearl Vohtarak shells/pearl Kraahkan's were from later released playsets, not earlier released ones, since Lego phased out dark gold for pearl gold in 2006. I got my Battle of Metru Nui set sealed in December 2006 from a store and it contained a pearl Vohtarak shell, for whatever evidence that's worth.

@InconspicuousSharkI think you're right. The thought was that pearl Keelerak shells might have been found in the Visorak Battle Ram set, but are no records of sales on BrickLink. And pearl gold being in later releases makes a lot more sense since everything was pearl by 2006. Thanks! I've made those changes.

Also, does anyone know when the five-hole Kraahkan was first found? I just changed the description to be ambiguous, but the first post used to say that it was from Icarax in 2008. Icarax came with a four-hole Kraahkan, Makuta in 2003 with the six-hole version. It seems to me more likely that the five-hole would be a mismold from the six-hole in 2003, since it's more plausible that a mold would erroneously miss one hole than produce an extra one.

-L

On 6/18/2021 at 1:49 AM, Letagi said:

@InconspicuousSharkI think you're right. The thought was that pearl Keelerak shells might have been found in the Visorak Battle Ram set, but are no records of sales on BrickLink. And pearl gold being in later releases makes a lot more sense since everything was pearl by 2006. Thanks! I've made those changes.

Also, does anyone know when the five-hole Kraahkan was first found? I just changed the description to be ambiguous, but the first post used to say that it was from Icarax in 2008. Icarax came with a four-hole Kraahkan, Makuta in 2003 with the six-hole version. It seems to me more likely that the five-hole would be a mismold from the six-hole in 2003, since it's more plausible that a mold would erroneously miss one hole than produce an extra one.

-L

I Still have my original Makuta and it has a 4-hole Kraahkan. It isn't a KO since I remember getting it in the store when I was a kid and I never owned Icarax.

Edited by nepavinny

1 hour ago, nepavinny said:

I Still have my original Makuta and it has a 4-hole Kraahkan. It isn't a KO since I remember getting it in the store when I was a kid and I never owned Icarax.

Edit-

Also, It says on the back of the mask "LEGO 2002".

I think all of the masks that were reused years later like the silver mask of light also have the 2002 mark. 

On 6/18/2021 at 1:49 AM, Letagi said:

-L

IIRC, later 03 Teridax releases opted to go for 4 holes also. I got my 5-hole from a Teridax set, not an Icarax set, for whatever that's worth.

Very neat! It's different from the version that came from the Binkmeister bag, which had a raised circular part that I think functions as a magnifier.

If anyone is looking for a European copper Huna, this store has several at a very reasonable price: https://store.bricklink.com/MLteam?itemID=252024529#/shop?o={"invID":"252024529"}

It occurred to me that many of the listings in Europe were likely to be the European version, so I messaged a couple of sellers to ask. This one said all of the ones in stock are opaque under a light. I ordered a few so I'll confirm once I get them.

-L

21 hours ago, Kraata Kink said:

I'm jealous of the clear bohrok shield, would go well with my WMKK

hey i mean i'm intending it be for trade, hmu with what you have (honestly the main things at this point i'm still looking for are a yellow kaukau, copper komau,  pgk, most of the euro misprints, and half the silver nuvas, but that's only because i doubt anyone will trade me either a proto mask/weapon or unreleased galidor parts lol)

I was reading through this old (circa 2004) topic to find pictures of some old collections. I think you guys will appreciate these, if you haven't come across them before:

ccso35: dsc02934.jpg

Reya: full_collection.jpg

MrNobudy: full.jpg

Reya and MrNobudy both sold their collections years ago. I ended up with some of Reya's rare pieces. I think ccso35 still has his.

-L

Edited by Letagi

5 minutes ago, Letagi said:

I was reading through this old (circa 2004) topic to find pictures of some old collections. I think you guys will appreciate these, if you haven't come across them before:

Reya and MrNobudy both sold their collections years ago. I ended up with some of Reya's rare pieces. I think ccso35 still has his.

-L

which pieces?

3 minutes ago, elementalheroshadow said:

which pieces?

Movie edition Kraahkan and transparent red Kanoka, and if memory serves, he traded me a transparent orange Kraata (he had four at the time) for the last, or at least one of the last, wild Kraata he needed to complete his collection. I might be mixing him up with another member on the TOK, it was a long time ago. Good old days!

-L

1 minute ago, Letagi said:

Movie edition Kraahkan and transparent red Kanoka, and if memory serves, he traded me a transparent orange Kraata (he had four at the time) for the last, or at least one of the last, wild Kraata he needed to complete his collection. I might be mixing him up with another member on the TOK, it was a long time ago. Good old days!

-L

the orange kraata is one of those things that bugs me like crazy, much like the green nuva weapons. they aren't even remotely expensive, just no one on bl is selling any.

16 minutes ago, chuckschwa said:

Anyone know if ccso35 is still active? I would be very interested in their White Huna, if they decided to sell.

According to his profile, he hasn't posted since 2012, when he posted a picture of his collection and said it's still not for sale.

So I'd be surprised, but it wouldn't hurt to message him and ask.

-L

Edited by Letagi

On 6/24/2021 at 10:44 PM, elementalheroshadow said:

hey i mean i'm intending it be for trade, hmu with what you have (honestly the main things at this point i'm still looking for are a yellow kaukau, copper komau,  pgk, most of the euro misprints, and half the silver nuvas, but that's only because i doubt anyone will trade me either a proto mask/weapon or unreleased galidor parts lol)

I could definitely trade a Yellow Kaukau or something or other for that Bohrok faceplate.

16 hours ago, elementalheroshadow said:

the orange kraata is one of those things that bugs me like crazy, much like the green nuva weapons. they aren't even remotely expensive, just no one on bl is selling any.

The Trans Orange Kraata is a massive pain to track down. I managed to finally get my hands on one, so now I'm 5 Kraata away from a full set. In general Kraata are pretty awful to find.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InconspicuousShark said:

The Trans Orange Kraata is a massive pain to track down. I managed to finally get my hands on one, so now I'm 5 Kraata away from a full set. In general Kraata are pretty awful to find.

very very true. i'm heartbroken to be only 2/3 of the way done, i love those little slugs so much!!!

I discovered the Transblue G2 KauKau!

3 hours ago, toa trisabelle said:

very very true. i'm heartbroken to be only 2/3 of the way done, i love those little slugs so much!!!

Crazy that it's easier to acquire the G2 Trans Gali Mask than it is a number of individual Kraata. Dunno what Lego was thinking with those things. If you've got any spares that I need I'd be open to trading, since I've got a good number of extras. On the fence about selling right now but I'd definitely trade to finish my set.

19 hours ago, InconspicuousShark said:

Crazy that it's easier to acquire the G2 Trans Gali Mask than it is a number of individual Kraata. Dunno what Lego was thinking with those things. If you've got any spares that I need I'd be open to trading, since I've got a good number of extras. On the fence about selling right now but I'd definitely trade to finish my set.

yeah, even though money wise they're in completely different ballparks lol. i would offer you some kraata in trade but i've already got a buyer... maybe i can get him to reconsider though. DM me if you're interested c:

Edited by toa trisabelle
forgot to reply about trading
I discovered the Transblue G2 KauKau!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 7:45 PM, Overlord said:

I would say you're correct -- milky white. I've never seen one before! However, milky white is a relatively common color among prototypes -- any way you might have acquired that kind of piece?

Either way, the color seems indisputable -- it's either milky white or opaque glow in the dark! Seems to me that it's either a rare part or a very well made knockoff. Do the marks match other Toa Metru feet you might have?

Last question... since we're in this forum, if you believe it to be genuine LEGO, would you consider selling it?

~:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

Here I am responding over half a year later. My apologies. Life went cray cray.

Yes, I may indeed be interested in selling it, especially as I just opened up a mostly Bionicle centric shop on Bricklink. I've become much more knowledgeable about Bionicle over the last few months, considering I accumulated hundreds of sets and thousands of pieces, and I don't see how it couldn't be anything but genuine based on the markings, weight, feel, and age of the lot it came from (came from an old lady clearing out her basement from stuff her grandson had as a kid and personal 3d printers weren't really a thing back then).

My only problem is that I still have no idea what the value would be considering I have yet to see another one out there on which to compare it. I have a lot of Lego with no price history, like certain sealed Service Packs, which is frustrating.  If this piece is one of a kind, I would imagine it is worth a fair amount but what that is, I have no idea. If you were a seller, what would you put it up for?

The milky white Metru foot is probably one for Nuju that got too little pigment. Other parts like that which look like prototypes but came from regular sets have been found, like a Gaaki head with too little pigment that looks like the glow-in-the-dark Barraki armor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ballom Nom Nom said:

The milky white Metru foot is probably one for Nuju that got too little pigment. Other parts like that which look like prototypes but came from regular sets have been found, like a Gaaki head with too little pigment that looks like the glow-in-the-dark Barraki armor.

Picture might not make it clear, but it is definitely not a white foot with too little pigment. It matches other milky white pieces I have seen or own.

13 minutes ago, Vabulletizer said:

There is a kraahkan with 5 holes on my hands, can someone suggest its approximate price?

Around US $100 would be fair. I paid about that for mine a few months ago, and I've seen them go for similar prices.

-L

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2021 at 2:16 PM, Vabulletizer said:

There is a kraahkan with 5 holes on my hands, can someone suggest its approximate price?

On 9/1/2021 at 2:30 PM, Letagi said:

Around US $100 would be fair. I paid about that for mine a few months ago, and I've seen them go for similar prices.

-L

Who knows now a days....i personally think 100 usd is fair too, and i got mine for less a few years back...

But then again, i also got my pearl gold kraakhan for $50 a few years back and one just sold for over $700 on ebay...some of these price inflations have been insane to see.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 8:30 PM, jchavoya said:

Who knows now a days....i personally think 100 usd is fair too, and i got mine for less a few years back...

But then again, i also got my pearl gold kraakhan for $50 a few years back and one just sold for over $700 on ebay...some of these price inflations have been insane to see.

The most I have ever see a Pearl Gold Kraakhan go for is $1000.

16 hours ago, Letagi said:

Hey guys. I recently came into possession of some rather unusual green Toa Nuva weapons. I know of one other member who has these. They show up in this BrickLink store from time to time: https://store.bricklink.com/jonadi#/terms

Does anyone know what the story behind these is?

20211017_181023.jpg

11 hours ago, chuckschwa said:

They're prototypes. I have a couple myself

Out of curiosity, what makes you say they’re prototypes as opposed to say a misprint or a knockoff? Did you get them from someone in lego that confirmed they are prototypes? I’m just curious, because none of the Nuva prototype shown here

https://bionicle.fandom.com/wiki/Gallery:Prototypes

have green weapons or even weapons of that shape. So if they are prototypes, they would be an in between stage of the original nuva prototype and the final design, which seems strange to print so many of these green weapons that a few people have them? 
I’m not saying they’re not prototypes, I’m just curious if anyone has 1st hand knowledge on their creation.

Edited by jchavoya

19 minutes ago, jchavoya said:

Out of curiosity, what makes you say they’re prototypes as opposed to say a misprint or a knockoff? Did you get them from someone in lego that confirmed they are prototypes? I’m just curious, because none of the Nuva prototype shown here

https://bionicle.fandom.com/wiki/Gallery:Prototypes

have green weapons or even weapons of that shape. So if they are prototypes, they would be an in between stage of the original nuva prototype and the final design, which seems strange to print so many of these green weapons that a few people have them? 
I’m not saying they’re not prototypes, I’m just curious if anyone has 1st hand knowledge on their creation.

Fair point, and the other thing that makes me think they might not be prototypes for the Toa Nuva is that they seem to be in pristine condition, as if they were produced very recently. If they were 20 years old, at least some of them should have some wear and tear by now. Some of the moulds have been repurposed over the years, so its conceivable that these were made as prototypes for other unreleased sets, not necessarily Bionicle ones. They look too good to be knockoffs, but I can't rule that out either.

I'll change the entry back to the more ambiguous phrasing.

Edited by Letagi

11 hours ago, chuckschwa said:

They're prototypes. I have a couple myself

Please see my question above, I’m curious what makes you so sure they’re prototypes? Were they protosquad giveaways, did you get them from lego directly, etc?

11 minutes ago, Letagi said:

Fair point, and the other thing that makes me think they might not be prototypes for the Toa Nuva is that they seem to be in pristine condition, as if they were produced very recently. If they were 20 years old, at least some of them should have some wear and tear by now. Some of the moulds have been repurposed over the years, so its conceivable that these were made as prototypes for other unreleased sets, not necessarily Bionicle ones. They look too good to be knockoffs, but I can't rule that out either.

I'll change the entry back to the more ambiguous phrasing.

Whoops, accidentally tagged the wrong user. I meant to tag the person saying they were prototypes.

3 hours ago, jchavoya said:

Out of curiosity, what makes you say they’re prototypes as opposed to say a misprint or a knockoff?

The Lego copyright and mold machine numbers are printed on the sides, so they are not knockoffs.

Misprint is kind of a misused term in the Bionicle community. We call the Trans-Yellow Kaukau and the Blue Ruru, for example, misprints when they really shouldn't be. A misprint is a part that has a defect or unique fault about it that wasn't intended by the factory. The production of the "European misprints" wasn't an accident, it was just limited in production (for what reason we may never know). However, those masks made it past production and into retail sets (the mask packs). These green Nuva parts did not. There are also several of these Nuva parts in green, most likely for testing the molds (a prototype).

Prototypes can be rough clay sculpts, rough plastic molds, or even final production molded plastic in an available color (like green or yellow or red). The prototypes for the 2003 Gukko and Pewku sets, as well as Nuva armor, also featured parts in the same green color.

image.png.52f37eb0b65f3dca0db16c18bbf4a050.png

Prototypes, much like deleted scenes in movies, are really not meant to be seen by the public. They're not bonus items meant to be given away. Because of this there's a long list of lego prototypes we may never see or have seen because no one bothered to photograph or share them outside the design office. 

Why people have these and why they're in fairly good condition? Probably because they sat in a desk or bin at Lego for years until an employee took them home or threw them into a box of other parts and gave/sold them away. Most lego prototypes are destroyed by recycling them back into the mold process or just tossing them. These parts always seem to come out of Germany or Scandinavia, closer to where Lego factories are. I've seen these for sale from bricklink and eBay sellers for the last 2 or 3 years, mostly from Europe.

1 hour ago, chuckschwa said:

The Lego copyright and mold machine numbers are printed on the sides, so they are not knockoffs.

Misprint is kind of a misused term in the Bionicle community. We call the Trans-Yellow Kaukau and the Blue Ruru, for example, misprints when they really shouldn't be. A misprint is a part that has a defect or unique fault about it that wasn't intended by the factory. The production of the "European misprints" wasn't an accident, it was just limited in production (for what reason we may never know). However, those masks made it past production and into retail sets (the mask packs). These green Nuva parts did not. There are also several of these Nuva parts in green, most likely for testing the molds (a prototype).

Prototypes can be rough clay sculpts, rough plastic molds, or even final production molded plastic in an available color (like green or yellow or red). The prototypes for the 2003 Gukko and Pewku sets, as well as Nuva armor, also featured parts in the same green color.

image.png.52f37eb0b65f3dca0db16c18bbf4a050.png

Prototypes, much like deleted scenes in movies, are really not meant to be seen by the public. They're not bonus items meant to be given away. Because of this there's a long list of lego prototypes we may never see or have seen because no one bothered to photograph or share them outside the design office. 

Why people have these and why they're in fairly good condition? Probably because they sat in a desk or bin at Lego for years until an employee took them home or threw them into a box of other parts and gave/sold them away. Most lego prototypes are destroyed by recycling them back into the mold process or just tossing them. These parts always seem to come out of Germany or Scandinavia, closer to where Lego factories are. I've seen these for sale from bricklink and eBay sellers for the last 2 or 3 years, mostly from Europe.

I agree that the 2001 masks shouldnt be called misprints. But a true misprint would be something that was just printed on accident. I was asking how one would differentiate this piece as a prototype that no one was ever meant to see (as you described) vs just a misprint that was an ordinary piece that was accidentally printed in a wrong color or material. Your other comment is helpful though. Namely that you're guessing this is a prototype based off seeing other prototype pieces that were made in the same color.