Favourite Bionicle Book

So the return of Bionicle has got me so hyped that I took the time to procure every Bionicle book so I could reread them. They're easy reads, and I remember having fun with them so I thought "why not". It's been such a long time since I've read them though. 

I remember my favourite being either Mystery of Metru Nui or Swamp of Secrets.

What was everyone's favourite? Any stand out books that you hold special to you, or just loved to pieces? I remember the general gist of things but the actual writing itself seems to escape me. Let me know so I have something to look forward to!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Time Trap.

Time Trap.

Yes, I remember Time Trap being pretty good, and a lot of people seem to love that one. I dunno, I never thought it stood out to me before, but maybe going into it with different expectations will yield a different opinion. Pretty excited to revisit it.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

Time Trap.

Time Trap.

Yes, I remember Time Trap being pretty good, and a lot of people seem to love that one. I dunno, I never thought it stood out to me before, but maybe going into it with different expectations will yield a different opinion. Pretty excited to revisit it.

-NotS

For me, it's mostly due to the Vakama and Makuta interactions.

And Vakama.

Time Trap.

Time Trap.

-NotS

For me, it's mostly due to the Vakama and Makuta interactions.

And Vakama.

Ah fair. I do remember liking that, and also Vakama's indecisiveness upon viewing the alternate dimension with the Matoran as Toa Metru instead. The Shadowed One and Sentrakh having central roles was really cool too, but I guess I just didn't really dig that it only really focused on two characters. I always loved the stories with team interaction.

Another question - I'm thinking of skipping the novelizations for the films. I do remember Legends of Metru Nui had that Lohrak scene in the novel and Web of Shadows had a little appendix at the end of it but other than that, were there other omitted film scenes in the novels?

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Time Trap is my favorite of the novels, but for the sake of variety, I'll go with Dark Destiny. So much happens in it. We got to see Karzahni in all its weirdness, and find out a bit about where the Toa canisters came from. The Toa Nuva managed to escape the Piraka, but promptly got attacked by the Matoran resistance. Brutaka and Axonn get introduced. And Jaller and crew turn into the Inika at the end. Plus a bunch of other stuff I'm too lazy to type out. :P All in all, a very entertaining book.

Web of Shadows novelisation is 5000 times better than the WoS movie.

Really? I have it, but I don't think I ever read it because I figured it would be pretty close to the movie. Looks like I have some reading to do.

Edited by John Smith
  • Upvote 1

Time Trap is my favorite of the novels, but for the sake of variety, I'll go with Dark Destiny. So much happens in it. We got to see Karzahni in all its weirdness, and find out a bit about where the Toa canisters came from. The Toa Nuva managed to escape the Piraka, but promptly got attacked by the Matoran resistance. Brutaka and Axonn get introduced. And Jaller and crew turn into the Inika at the end. Plus a bunch of other stuff I'm too lazy to type out. :P All in all, a very entertaining book.

Yeah, I remember Dark Destiny being particularly intense. It was interesting that in 2006, a lot of the main story in the first half could only be found in the books, and I was really happy to read about the Nuva again in some form. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

With the Toa Nuva, Piraka, Metru Nui Matoran, Takanuva, Axonn, Brutaka, the Voya Nui Matoran resistance, Karzahni, and that crazy Matoran of Light all in the same book, I felt that Dark Destiny did a great job showing off all of these characters. Spider Man 3 could've learned a lesson about character development from it. :P 

Dark Destiny is a really great book, though my favorite Bionicle book would be either Maze of Shadows, Time Trap, or Downfall. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

With the Toa Nuva, Piraka, Metru Nui Matoran, Takanuva, Axonn, Brutaka, the Voya Nui Matoran resistance, Karzahni, and that crazy Matoran of Light all in the same book, I felt that Dark Destiny did a great job showing off all of these characters. Spider Man 3 could've learned a lesson about character development from it. :P

Dark Destiny is a really great book, though my favorite Bionicle book would be either Maze of Shadows, Time Trap, or Downfall. 

Indeed, and in such a limited number of pages too!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Yeah I agree. After, it got a little messy. I like Legacy of Evil but it kind of broke up the story too much. It was all going in one continuous format and then BOOM here's a backstory of these bad guys you'll rarely see again. Kind of off. City of the Lost kind of suffered from this as well, but it had the excuse of being the first book of the Mahri saga.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Time Trap is obviously one of my favourites, but Voyage of Fear and Web of the Visorak also deserve recognition, imo. Overall, the Adventures books with the Toa Metru adventures were really great and actually managed to keep together a consistent storyline while giving each Toa of the team plenty of time in the spotlight. Earlier and later books did not succeed in giving all characters equally awesome moments.