Hydraxon =/= Axonn?

Archon~

Okay, so I want to bring up something I know other people have been thinking for years too: why aren't Hydraxon and Axonn in the same species? I mean, their faces look fairly similar, even to the point where I think Hydraxon was meant to be a Mahri version of Axonn, their hands are also relatively big and bulky, and both are distinguished warriors... So my question is, do you think they should have been the same species and if not, why do you think the sets are so similar?

Note: I'm not sure in this should go into S&T since it discusses both the sets and storyline, so I just decided to put it in the general Forum. :)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

If Hydraxon was named something else would you've ever had this thought? Probably not, because aside from them both being humanoid and partially silver, they don't really look anything alike. At all. Axonn's short and bulky, Hydraxon's taller, thinner and covered in spikes. Hydraxon's face also looks more like a Kiril than anything else, least of all the Rode.

Honestly, Hydraxon resembles Brutaka more than Axonn.

Edited by Primis
  • Upvote 2

If Hydraxon was named something else would you've ever had this thought? Probably not, because aside from them both being humanoid and partially silver, they don't really look anything alike. At all. Axonn's short and bulky, Hydraxon's taller, thinner and covered in spikes. Hydraxon's face also looks more like a Kiril than anything else, least of all the Rode.

I honestly don't realize how you don't see the resemblence. The "nose" part looks similar, so does the mouth, as well as the smooth "bald" top of the mask/helmet. And just how TSO and Ancient are of the same species but one is lean and other bulky, doesn't disprove that they couldn't be the same species.
  • Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

***Toa Kyraan***

Looks like Primis beat me to it, but yeah. The only real similarity is in the choice of silver armor and the names. And both being OoMN members. That's about it. 

On another note, so what if their faces look vaguely alike? Tons of people in the MU wear the same type of Kanohi, and we don't assume they have to be from the same species. Remember that Brutaka wore one Olmak and the other was worn by a Toa from Jovan's team. Same mask, but they are in no way from the same species.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I guess the other similarity is they both had custom hands with fingers. xD

-NotS

Possibly comes with both being former members of the Hand of Artakha. (Which means Helryx might have custom hands as well!)

Anyway, I'm not really seeing the connection. They have resemblances sure, but they don't seem like members of the same species.

• Upvote 2

I guess like most people have said above they could be related somehow, i mean the similarities are there, they have similar masks and some similar parts, as i do own Hydraxon but not Axonn, anyway here is a photo of each of the sets

Hydraxon.jpgAxonn.png

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Like others have said, I do see the resemblance but I don't particularly think they would be related or else it probably would've been specified at some place in the story (or maybe not... dunno). Aw well, there's always head-canon and shipping!

I honestly don't realize how you don't see the resemblence. The "nose" part looks similar, so does the mouth, as well as the smooth "bald" top of the mask/helmet.

You're too focused on the tiny similarities and are ignoring the plethora of differences. Lots of Kanohi have a smooth forehead, in fact I'd say at least half of them do; doesn't mean they're all related. The Elda and Volitak also have the features you mentioned, so you could say the same about those. Hydraxon's face isn't even a Kanohi, so this is a moot point.

As far as I know, the only sets that were originally meant to be different characters than they ended up being were Toa Norik and Toa Iruini. Hydraxon having a similar name does not mean he was ever intended to be Axonn. His name is a pun on "Hydro", to go with the underwater theme of the Mahri Nui arc. There's no reason they would've changed Axonn's name anyway; Jaller didn't become Hydraller.

Edited by Primis

I think it's very unlikey. According to BS01, Axonn had anger-enhanced super strength, could shoot energy blasts, and create stasis fields. Presumably, these are the powers of his species (if they were Order-provided upgrades, Hydraxon would have had them, especially stasis creation). It's true that Ancient and TSO came from the same race, but we also know for a fact they came from the same island. We have no reason to think Hydraxon and Axonn did.

Also, pointing out set attributes like having feet pieces as shoulder armor doesn't mean anything in-universe. It's possible Hydraxon was originally a Hydro-Axonn set, but it has no bearing on the story.

• Upvote 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Okay, so they use similar parts. That's not news to anyone. Having both been produced by the same company, I'd be amazed if they didn't look slightly similar. It just means that the set designers used what parts looked best, and they coincidentally ended up bearing some similarities to each other. Nothing more than that.

Besides, this topic was shot down by Greg years ago. I don't have time right now to look it up, but check with bonesii or the Official Greg Compendium and see if either of that has it. But I remember reading it somewhere in the Official GregF Dialogue back in '07 or so and when someone asked this very question, I seem to recall that his answer was also "no."

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I'm short and fairly lean, I have friends who are tall and bulky...going by your logic, I'm not the same species as them.

I'm short and fairly lean, I have friends who are tall and bulky...going by your logic, I'm not the same species as them.

I like how you ignored the part about being covered in spikes...

Edited by Primis

Pit mutagen can do some funky stuff to one's body. 

I'm willing to believe that they are of the same species for the reasons listed by people above, but just because they're part of the same taxonomic rank doesn't mean that they were identical at one point in their lifetime. 

bZpOwEr

If Hydraxon was named something else would you've ever had this thought? Probably not, because aside from them both being humanoid and partially silver, they don't really look anything alike. At all. Axonn's short and bulky, Hydraxon's taller, thinner and covered in spikes. Hydraxon's face also looks more like a <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/4/4d/BH_Dume" href="http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/4/4d/BH_Dume" s_kanohi_kiril.png"="">Kiril than anything else, least of all the Rode.

Remember everyone, BIONICLE is still a story. Aside from TSO and Ancient, almost all BIONICLE characters of the same species have almost identical builds and proportions. At the same time, there's no real narrative reason for them to be from the same species. Really, there's not enough information to say one of the other is more likely. I still think they're not, just because I think it wouldn't be that narratively interesting.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Hmm... I can see that Axonn and Hydraxon look very similar, even though that Hydraxon has some other similarities with Brutaka. Since I can see that Axonn and Hydraxon having similar masks' shapes, silver armor, and names, I guess that they could belong to the same species, like how The Shadowed One and Ancient do.

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I'm glad people are starting to see my point. Also, while I am proposing that they should be categorized as being parts of the same species, I'm also questioning why are there these several stubborn little similarities in name, face/mask, and anatomy (please just aknowledge that not every speciment of every bionicle species looks the same). So basically, I'm asking for opinions, like do you think Axonn was supposed to travel with the Mahri into Mahri Nui in the Terrain Crawler in the original storyline, was he maybe supposed tp be a related species, if not same, and did that get lost in translation somewhere?

Archon                      

***Toa Kyraan***

do you think Axonn was supposed to travel with the Mahri into Mahri Nui in the Terrain Crawler in the original storyline, was he maybe supposed tp be a related species, if not same, and did that get lost in translation somewhere?

Probably neither, since they're completely separate characters.

I still don't see how anything really matches between the sets. The masks don't look similar at all and their "anatomy" is completely different. The only real similarity I'm seeing is that both names share a couple of syllables.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

Because neither me nor my friends are covered in spikes, last I checked. So it wasn't needed to make my point. I didn't ignore it, I omitted it.

Because neither me nor my friends are covered in spikes, last I checked. So it wasn't needed to make my point. I didn't ignore it, I omitted it.

You do realize the spikes thing was part of how different they looked, right? If any of you were covered in spikes, then yes, I would say that you weren't the same species.

Edited by Primis

You do realize the spikes thing was part of how different they looked, right? If any of you were covered in spikes, then yes, I would say that you weren't the same species.

Can't the differences just be an armor thing though?

Can't the similarities?

OpAXNpl.jpg

Can't the similarities?

Yes, but for all we know, they're the same species at the genetic level and just have different armor to suit their different environments. No way to say one way or the other unless we get an official answer.

Yes, but for all we know, they're the same species at the genetic level and just have different armor to suit their different environments. No way to say one way or the other unless we get an official answer.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. You could say that about literally every single non-Matoran species.

There is absolutely no reason to think that Axonn and Hydraxon are related in any capacity, and I stand by my original statement that if Hydraxon was named something else, then no one would have ever had this thought.

Just because no one ever said that it isn't, doesn't mean that it is. No one ever said it isn't because there is literally no reason why this should ever come up.

Edited by Primis
  • Upvote 1

I asked Greg Farshtey if they were ever supposed to be the same character, and he has responded to me saying that, no they weren't.

You guys just missed this very important point that cans the whole argument, unless you decided to ignore it. :|

I think the conversation has moved to whether they're the same species (and there has never, ever been any indication that they are) whereas that just states they're not the same character.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. You could say that about literally every single non-Matoran species.

There is absolutely no reason to think that Axonn and Hydraxon are related in any capacity, and I stand by my original statement that if Hydraxon was named something else, then no one would have ever had this thought.

Just because no one ever said that it isn't, doesn't mean that it is. No one ever said it isn't because there is literally no reason why this should ever come up.

It's a good point and you know it. But perhaps they're genetically similar, that would make more sense than being genetically the same. Then there's the name similarity that's responsible for this...

It's a good point and you know it.

Not really.  What does it prove?  That Hydraxon and Axonn could be related despite having few to no similarities?  As Primis said, you could make the same point about any two characters as long as at least one of them isn't of a defined species.  It offers no insight other than "well it could be".

Do you think Hydraxon and Axonn are related?  If so, why?  There's been no demonstrated link between the two.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg