Do You Feel Like The MU Wasn't Explored Enough?

I mean seriously, the MU is pretty darn big and has a lot of islands to the South that aren't even named. Calling them uninhabited and leaving it at that seems like wasted story potential. Do you think it would've been cool if we had gotten some sort of story taking place in parts of the MU that we haven't seen before? Perhaps maybe a break from the bigger story-line just to have a separate adventure down south for a year wouldn't have hurt.

• Upvote 1

Let's look at things this way. We had three years that took place inside the Matoran Universe Robot: 2004, 2005 and 2008. Out of those, only one year portrayed an active civilization inside the MU Robot, and that is 2004. In 2005, the city was overrun by Visorak and the Metru Nui matoran were in stasis pods. In 2008, all but three Av-Matoran had been infected by Shadow Leeches.

Every other year took place outside the robot, whether on Aqua Magna (2001-2003, 2006-2007), on Bara Magna (2009-2010), or on Spherus Magna (2010, 2015?)

So yeah, they wasted a LOT of potential with the MU Robot.

• Upvote 2

I prefer it as it was. There's plenty of islands to capture our interest like Artahka, Daxia, Xia, etc., and leaving almost half of the MU open for fanfics and other stories. Most of my writings are set in the southern islands, including Kordak-Nui, one of the furthest south and my main island.

honestly, i really like how a lot of the MU was left open to fan interpretation. it would have been cool to go into the unexplored areas in a bit more detail (which i'm sure would have happened had the story progressed as it was originally intended to) but i really don't mind too much.

There's no way they could have made the rest of the islands as cool as various fan ideas and headcanons turned out to be. You have to leave something up for interpretation to encourage fan involvement. That said, I'd have loved to have known more about the Southern Continent.

• Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Yes, I think it was wasted potential. In my opinion, we should have had at least one more totally new Island to explore with a completely different cast of characters before we went to the Mask of Life saga. An Island with the different types of Matoran would be cool, like the Ba, Fe and etc. For me, one of the problems of the Bionicle saga was that it didn't have too many new characters.

But then again, this is a LEGO theme, and they want you to create your own stuff. But they should have expanded their universe set-wise.

Edited by HoloTheWise

I don't have a problem with uninhabited islands; what was mostly unexplored were the continents and some of the other inhabited islands.

But given the number of years Bionicle ran (first time :P), they didn't really have time to do much more than they did. Probably the weakest link was Voya Nui; it just isn't very plausible that it could get where it was, although I like the boldness of the idea. They could easily have replaced that with a region of the Southern Continent, which in fact it used to be. 2007 wouldn't work that way, but they could have come up with something else. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think Bionicle was heading in a good direction in 2004-2005 when it entered the MU robot and started to uncover the mystery of that strange robotic world, but then made a mistake moving back out of it in 2006-2007. Instead of returning to Aqua Magna (with some confusing story elements involved) the story should have expanded within the MU, revealing more about the nature of the world until the grand final with Mata Nui awakening.

Well there was those guide books that did provide images for some of the islands (but not every land was featured until the Makuta's Guide was out but even then it was just an overall map). However, perhaps a bit more history details on each land would be nice as well as new images of other islands and thte two continents.

However, what is said is said what is done is done. (Unless they intend to show more flashbacks?)

For the Team! - Rin Matsuoka

tumblr_nc7x2n2uJ61so9j7zo1_500.png

I think while there is a large percentage of the MU that was left unexplored, I feel they made the right choice moving away from it - it was refreshing. I'd still be interested seeing more of the MU and even more so finding out more about the "day-to-day" cultures and lives of the beings in it, but on the same token for the primary story I liked the shift. That being said from the point of view of now I'd be happy to explore the bits we didn't see more. :)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I think of it in the same way I think of Tolkien's myth. Just about all of it takes place in an area called Middle-Earth and is heavily written about and described, while the rest of this mythic prehistoric Earth either has no description or something brief beyond the world map. The rest is up for imagination amd fan written tales. Same applies here. I love that it isn't completely covered (though I admittedly would have liked a year in one of the continents, not going around it like Voya Nui or Karda Nui).

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light