Does anybody have a Crazy Action Contraption that isn't in the boo

Fry

Do you mean specifically one using the parts from the Crazy Action Contraptions book, or just using various parts from your own collection? In either case, I haven't built any such creations in a very long time. I like Technic sets (I was a Technic fan even before themes like BIONICLE and Slizer/Throwbots), but was never particularly good at coming up with my own Technic-based functions for models. I suppose I'm more of a designer than an engineer.

If anyone's wondering what this topic is about, there's a book published by Klutz called Crazy Action Contraptions, which came with LEGO Technic pieces and instructions to build lots of models with unusual or interesting functions. There is also a more recent edition published ten years after the first edition, which features way more parts and models than the original. I only have the original version, sadly.

I assume you're referring to the Klutz book? I don't know where you might find additional instructions for builds using the same parts. But builders have been making crazy Technic mechanisms for YEARS, so if you just want inspiration for other sorts of contraptions, there's plenty to be found.

One of the most common form of crazy Technic build is the Great Ball Contraption. The idea behind it is to create modular units with a singular goal—continuously getting Lego soccer balls from one side of the module to the other. Builders use all sorts of creative mechanisms to do so, and at most conventions there will usually be a whole row of tables where builders combine the modules they've built into a looped mechanism that endlessly cycles balls around and around. Searching Great Ball Contraption on Flickr should give you some ideas of the kinds of things people build, and it's possible that you can take some of those ideas and use them as inspiration for machines you can builld using the parts you have.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

One of the most common form of crazy Technic build is the Great Ball Contraption. The idea behind it is to create modular units with a singular goal—continuously getting Lego soccer balls from one side of the module to the other. Builders use all sorts of creative mechanisms to do so, and at most conventions there will usually be a whole row of tables where builders combine the modules they've built into a looped mechanism that endlessly cycles balls around and around. Searching Great Ball Contraption on Flickr should give you some ideas of the kinds of things people build, and it's possible that you can take some of those ideas and use them as inspiration for machines you can builld using the parts you have.

On the subject of both Crazy Action Contraptions and the Great Ball Contraption, Klutz is releasing a new book next month called LEGO Chain Reactions: Design and Build Amazing Moving Machines. Looking at the cover, it seems plainly inspired by the GBC — though since it uses the more common Zamor spheres (which have a 16.5 mm diameter) rather than the slightly rarer soccer balls and basketballs from the LEGO Sports theme (which have a 14.2 mm diameter), it doesn't entirely meet the standards that the AFOL community has generally agreed on for GBC modules.

Edited by Aanchir