What is the worst thing lego could do with bionicle 2015?

masterchirox580

2. The Red Star. Do NOT bring it back either.

I don't think the Red Star would be so much of a problem if it wasn't a space station that made nearly all death in the universe relatively meaningless. If it was just used to help predict the future based on its position in the sky and be an intriguing source of mystery, then I'd love to see it make some kind of appearance in a 2015 reboot.

That's true. Its ability to bring back the dead is really the only thing that made me not want to return. If it didn't have that, then I would be okay with it returning.

I also don't think that having the concept of a multiverse is necessarily a bad thing. While it can certainly get out of hand easily, especially if, as was done in the later stories involving alternate dimensions, they're used to bring back supposedly dead characters or randomly bring in new characters, like light Teridax or that whole plotline with the shadow takanuvas that  never went anywhere....They're not always a bad thing, though. I think the first couple of stories with alternate universes were fun and inoffensive. Many stories are able to use the idea of alternate worlds to their advantage. You just have to be smart about it.

I do agree that alternate dimensions can be used to make a story better. In fact, I really enjoyed Dark Mirror and The Kingdom stories, along with Light Teridax being brought into the story. And while I do think that these were good for Bionicle's original story, I personally wouldn't want to see alternate dimensions used again in New Bionicle. I would rather the whole story and its characters stay in one dimension. But that is just my opinion on the matter. 

I edited my original post to make my opinions a little clearer.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Make it kiddified and remove all the words like Toa etc (which they already seem to be doing), not advertise or market it at all like with most modern LEGO themes which would probably lead to Bionicle ending again, make a TV show that's like Chima with cheesy dialogue, bad voice acting, one dimensional characters etc, or perhaps just a 20 minute set commercial once a year as the only means of storytelling, change the personalities of characters such as the Toa (Or make Gali a man *pukes*). 

So... pretty much make it like Hero Factory. 

• Upvote 3

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Mini-figs

Are you kidding? Decent Bionicle minifigures would be adorable! O:

I agree, I'd be open to see minifig scale Bionicle sets if they really come out good. Mini fig scale HF sets and figures was actually really cool and refreshing to see.

• Upvote 1

1: Try to continue the old, bloated story, which will alienate new fans and polarize old ones.

2: Pander to the old fans.

3: Pander to the new fans.

4: Continue the old gender ratio of 1:5. LEGO doesn't need any more flack...

5: Not hire new writers.

6: Make it less mature.

7: Make it too mature.

• Upvote 4
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

Not staying true to a characters official color scheme, for example kopaka has always been light grey and white with silver weapons as a nuva. But doing something as adding light blue as a alternative secondary color would be wrong.

I hope they dont stray far away from the original color schemes of the toa/mata nuva(phantoka and mistika colorschemes such as lewa pohatu gali and tahu nuva all greatly suffered from in 2008)

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

Destroy all of the terminology (Toa, Matoran, Rahi, what have you) that helped make it so unique back in the day.

it's definitely a possibility

A sad and scary one too. I feel like there are some terms that will be thrown out, and some important ones like the ones mentioned that will stay to keep the character that the old story had. Sadly, there is nothing saying that this is true.  :(

Bionicle was a success because of the mystery. If there is no mystery, I cannot see it being a success.

As much as I desperately want mystery, I question whether a Bionicle return will actually have a lot of mystery like old Bionicle did. HF doesn't seem to do that. (Of course, there's a lot of things I hope Bionicle won't do that HF does so yeah...) It might be a success even without that. But I do doubt it.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Bionicle was a success because of the mystery. If there is no mystery, I cannot see it being a success.

As much as I desperately want mystery, I question whether a Bionicle return will actually have a lot of mystery like old Bionicle did. HF doesn't seem to do that. (Of course, there's a lot of things I hope Bionicle won't do that HF does so yeah...) It might be a success even without that. But I do doubt it.

HF was to Bionicle what the book you got free with a cereal box is to a novel. The chances of new Bionicle taking any cues from Hero Factory as far as story goes are so slim they barely even need mentioning.

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 2

I honestly paid little attention to the story except for what the setting was for each series. I also don't MOC. I got the toys cause they looked cool and were fun to build. If they don't look cool or aren't fun to build, I will be very sad and still spend my money.

... you make it sound like you're being forced to buy these sets at gunpoint :P

• Upvote 2

I honestly paid little attention to the story except for what the setting was for each series. I also don't MOC. I got the toys cause they looked cool and were fun to build. If they don't look cool or aren't fun to build, I will be very sad and still spend my money.

Because Bionicle is my name.

Because Bionicle is my name.

I dunno why but that cracked me up harder than it probably should've.  :D

Wait, why are people so worried about old terminology getting thrown out? It's not like Lego had ever used those terms in general large-scale promo material. :???:

ANYWAYS! For me the worst thing that could possibly happen is:

1) Flimsy story, reboot or otherwise

2) Consistently poor designs

3) Any alterations that downgrade the storyline to HF-level of kiddish-ness or worse (the story was a good reason why I missed Bionicle and why HF never really pulled me in after all).

4) Having a writer that doesn't at least match Mr. Farshtey in writing ability (fingers crossed for better)

5) Not improving on the flaws of the old series

6) Not getting rid of the Red Star's reviving mechanism (as others have pointed out, it really cheapened the deaths of 99% of dead major characters >_>)

7) Not at least having a reference to Artakha

Uh, I could go on, but I'll just leave these here as the worst offenders. The rest is mostly stuff that apply more for the entire run instead 2015 specifically (e.g. no Takanuva, Jaller, etc, but especially Taka).

• Upvote 3

1. Give Greg too much control.

This was one of the main reasons the storyline spiraled out of control in the serials so much. Greg's make-it-up-as-you-go-along style works pretty great as long as he has some form of outline. I think the heyday of BIONICLE story-wise was 2004-2007, when the story team (which I think Greg was part of) laid out the major plot points and Greg connected the dots. I also think perhaps limiting Greg's authority to canonize fan suggestions at his sole discretion would be helpful, since some of it really is unnecessary and I'm sure he's privately annoyed by it. I recently got canonized that the Makuta in The Melding Alternate Universe had Courage and Peace as Kraata powers instead of Fear and Anger, and thought of following up with asking if the Kraata/Rahkshi colors are the same, but just realized "Who cares?"

2. Not involve Greg at all.

I think Greg can put out amazing stuff, like Time Trap. I think one of the reasons that book worked so well was because, as almost an epilogue to the Great Rescue, it didn't have the capacity to open up a bunch of doors the story wouldn't be able to close. The book featured an alternate realities and pairings of characters Greg just thought would be interesting, just like the post-2007 serials, but it worked this time because of the smaller scope, and Greg gave all of his books a quick-paced, perfectly escapist tone, even Hero Factory. It would be a shame if new BIONICLE lost that.

3. Keep using the heavily skewed gender ratio.

I don't just mean get rid of the rule, I mean really include female characters. LEGO made a noticeable jump forward with the movie, with 2 out of 7 females protagonists. I also applaud them for avoiding portraying Unikitty or Cloud Cuckoo Land as "girly" - she and her home represent energetic, chaotic childhood creativity as any child could understand. Wyldstyle is also one of the most dynamic characters in the movie, and I could see a lot of guys identifying with her as being unsure of your identity.

I, for one, oppose getting rid of the enforced gender ratios unless LEGO plans on doing something with it. If it's like Bara Magna, where LEGO got rid of the rule but didn't capitalize on it at all (not even Tarix or Berix were female), it would just seem pointless to me. I don't think they should mess with something so established in BIONICLE unless they intend to actually do something with the change.

4. Try to continue all the serials.

They're waaay too complicated for it to be practical. I don't know if it's Greg's style, but I think it would be great if he could just write up a one-page summary of what ends up happening and leave it at that, just so we know who's still alive and where they are so we can start the new story fresh.

5. Make the storyline too dark/too kiddy.

Everyone seems to forget that MNOG, one of the most philosophical BIONICLE stories, had fart jokes. Fart jokes. Not even Hero Factory hit that low. Would I personally love a super-gritty, deep BIONICLE? Of course, but it's just not in the cards. BIONICLE is ultimately a kid-friendly theme, and I think part of the charm comes from the way kid-targeted entertainment can simplify a complicated issue, as long as it isn't simplified too much.

• Upvote 3

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

What about stickers? How do you feel about those? I hate them so much on Technic sets :/ I don't think we've seen them on Bionicle before, but the HF ones from Invasion From Below were pretty painful for me because I could not get them straight or symmetrical and all the unpeeling and stuff made them lose their stick and it's just all a mess. Unnecessary, IMO.

Also, do you think Bionicle needs printed pieces? They don't really seem to fit the style at all.

• Upvote 1

The chances of new Bionicle taking any cues from Hero Factory as far as story goes are so slim they barely even need mentioning.

Except that HF was done, by LEGO, even advertised with its relation to Bionicle, and has stuck around, so LEGO might think that's better.

I hope you're right, but we should be cautious. Having expectations unealistically high can just set us up for failure. I'd rather be realistic, and hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised. ^_^

The old names have been mentioned once or twice -- I disagree with this, depending. Getting rid of some of them was actually one of the first things that came to mind for me as a good rule for a return. For example, having to introduce new fans to "Toa and Glatorian and Agori and Matoran" might be a barrier to a continuation (in any time frame, assuming it is on SM), but if instead you call them heroes and citizens or something like that, it's instantly understandable. Later on the technical names and details can be worked in, through plot (not info dumps please!), if relevant.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'd say hoping for a continuation is far less realistic than assuming they're not going to take story cues from a line that nobody really enjoyed the story aspect of as much anyway.

If nothing else, if fans have been as vocal about it elsewhere as they have here, I can almost guarantee new Bionicle should be able to avoid something as terrible as the HF TV specials.

I saw something about getting rid of the multiverse, and I agree. While the multiverse is cool, it has also caused me to debate with myself many long hours about how do we know which dimension is the main dimension and many easier ways to end the story. (Hey, there's Teridax! Let's just put him in another dimension- problem solved!)

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I'd say hoping for a continuation is far less realistic

It really has nothing to do with that one way or another; we hope for one out of personal tastes. :) We can't change our tastes just because it may seem (seem :)) unrealistic at the moment (although based only on one line from Greg; everything else so far fits great with a continuation).

But the same logic applies to a reimagining or reboot, keep in mind -- the density of names was a barrier even back in 2001, and a reimagining especially might not start in 2001. (Actually, plot-wise, a classic reboot seems the most unrealistic right now, since the mystery behind it has already been solved, and Artakha/MoCreation weren't involved, but anything's possible. Actually they -were- involved, just very indirectly. Anywho.) However it returns, going lighter on the names is probably wise for LEGO. :)

If nothing else, if fans have been as vocal about it elsewhere as they have here, I can almost guarantee new Bionicle should be able to avoid something as terrible as the HF TV specials.

LEGO does listen to us sometimes, but they're also well aware we're mostly old fans who thus have very different tastes than the average kid. And we've been wishing for similar change to HF, and that hasn't really happened, so why would you assume it would work for Bionicle? All I'm saying is, don't act sure of something you can't actually know. Be cautious and "wait and see." :)

• Upvote 1

What about stickers? How do you feel about those? I hate them so much on Technic sets :/ I don't think we've seen them on Bionicle before, but the HF ones from Invasion From Below were pretty painful for me because I could not get them straight or symmetrical and all the unpeeling and stuff made them lose their stick and it's just all a mess. Unnecessary, IMO.

Also, do you think Bionicle needs printed pieces? They don't really seem to fit the style at all.

I hope that the new Bionicle sets don't use stickers either. I was never a huge fan of putting stickers on any Lego piece for the same reasons as you listed. If they do have stickers though, I'll probably just leave them off. 

I don't know if Bionicle needs printed pieces. I don't know a lot about printed pieces to begin with though. I'd say that it could use them, but that would a guess on my part.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The worst thing? Oh, gosh, that's a tricky one.

• Using brittle plastic that melts in direct sunlight and is full of carcinogens.
  • Releasing all the story information exclusively via betamax, laserdisk, and 8-track tape.
  • Masks that must be glued on.
  • Advertising campaigns endorsing totalitarian dictatorships around the world.
  • Only distributing sets to people who mail in a certain number of specially-labeled cereal box tops.
  • Replacing all the elements with sour fruit flavors.
  • Space Jam crossover.
  • Rebranding the theme as "BIONIwiki, the free online storyline that anyone can edit".
  • All the books can only be read with a BIONICLE decoder ring (sold separately).
  • Comics illustrated by zoo animals as an enrichment exercise.
  • Canisters that don't stop screaming when they're opened.
Gosh, you people have no imagination
  • Upvote 17

• Using brittle plastic that melts in direct sunlight and is full of carcinogens.
  • Releasing all the story information exclusively via betamax, laserdisk, and 8-track tape.
  • Only distributing sets to people who mail in a certain number of specially-labeled cereal box tops.
  • Space Jam crossover.
  • Rebranding the theme as "BIONIwiki, the free online storyline that anyone can edit".
  • All the books can only be read with a BIONICLE decoder ring (sold separately).

The topic is how Bionicle could fail horribly, but all you've said here is how it could be the best possible thing to grace this earth.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

The 2005 minifigure-scale playsets and Tuma had stickers, but I think they were the only ones, thankfully.

• Space Jam crossover.

I would totally buy BIONICLE books written in Matoran.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!