What is the worst thing lego could do with bionicle 2015?

masterchirox580

They TEASE us with the return and then CANCEL Bionicle....FOREVER!

Welcome to the modern world.

Totally.

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

Best line in film history

"We have an old saying too, Georgi - and you're full of it."

All you need to know about me:

• Lifetime Bionicle fan
  • Loves Bionicle, HATES Hero Factory

LEGO could do what Disney did: anything not in the movies will become non-canon and will not be acknowledged as being part of the Bionicle at all.

• Upvote 1

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

LEGO could do what Disney did: anything not in the movies will become non-canon and will not be acknowledged as being part of the Bionicle at all.

Have you seen the Bionicle movies? As much as everything else might not have been the best it could be, if we had to stick to just one piece of media being canon, the movies would be dead last as a choice. Least of all because they barely cover four years.

Not to mention that, you know, unlike Star Wars, the Bionicle movies are hilariously obscure.  How are we supposed to get new fans to watch 4 old movies, the earliest of which came out 12 years ago? I mean sure, some of them are on Netflix, but stil....

I...

Actually I think you just meant that as in the idea of sticking with one media as canon, rather than the movies themselves? Though...that's not a good idea, still.

edit:gosh, this is embarrassing. I should start paying more attention to which Bionicle 2015 topic I'm in, I thought this was one of the general discussion topics and a serious idea. I am a cool dude sometimes, but this time I was just an idiot. Carry on.

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

Have you seen the Bionicle movies? As much as everything else might not have been the best it could be, if we had to stick to just one piece of media being canon, the movies would be dead last as a choice. Least of all because they barely cover four years.

Not to mention that, you know, unlike Star Wars, the Bionicle movies are hilariously obscure.  How are we supposed to get new fans to watch 4 old movies, the earliest of which came out 12 years ago? I mean sure, some of them are on Netflix, but stil....

I...

Actually I think you just meant that as in the idea of sticking with one media as canon, rather than the movies themselves? Though...that's not a good idea, still.

edit:gosh, this is embarrassing. I should start paying more attention to which Bionicle 2015 topic I'm in, I thought this was one of the general discussion topics and a serious idea. I am a cool dude sometimes, but this time I was just an idiot. Carry on.

Not to start an argument. I love the Bionicle movies. I've bought each one the day it came out in america. They do have their flaws and are sometimes confusing. For example: at the end of Bionicle 2, Vakama says that Lhikon gave up his powers and th Toa should do the same thing, but if Bionicle 3 happens before that scene, why is Vakama talking about a dead Turaga instead of Norik and the other Rahaga? But Bionicle and Star Wars are very similar.

George Lucas didn't know if would like A New Hope. He thought he wasn't going to be able to make a sequel. Bionicle was originally going to last only 1 year. It's because of the fans that Star Wars became so big, the same thing would happen with Bonicle. SW and Bionicle both have books, movies, toys, comics. Each character has a story.

Disney recently decided that all the things in Star Wars that were not in the 7 movies (counting Star Wars: The Clone Wars) are pointless. That means Boba Fett DOES die in ROTJ, Shadows Of The Empire doesn't happen, Luke doesn't flirt with the Dark Side in the Dark Empire comics. LEGO could see it as a "good idea" and follow suite.

And if LEGO ever decides to do that, I swear I will gather everybody in the BZP community, tunnel underground and start a colony where we ignore every new thing about Bionicle and only worship the 2001-2014 Bionicle era. People who like Hero Factory will not be allowed. Anybody caught with Hero Factory will be sentenced to The Pit.

• Upvote 1

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

Not giving it the large story depth it once had.

Making someone like Von Nebula the villain.

Using hero factory type names.

Not releasing Jaller.

Not releasing Takanuva

Those last two...yes. Definitely. 

Worst things besides that would probably be nix the online interactivity. However, I doubt that will be the case with Bionicle ALREADY starting their own hype train. I can't recall seeing any company gear up fans for a toy line. Seriously, has anyone done this? Sure, LEGO has put up some silhouettes in the past but that's standard stuff. This is next level with the concept art, twitter/facebook/g+ announcements. I'm saying this is the worst thing to happen, because LEGO would be stupid to generate this much online hype, then drop it. 

Make the Toa nothing like their original namesakes. I.e, making Tahu a calm and collected leader, Onua a blundering fool, Lewa a coward. OR they all have the same personality. "I'm the Master of X! I will defend the matoran/agori/whatever and destroy all evil!" and that's basically all they are.

Give BIONICLE a really cheesy TV show where all of the characters sound like Lloyd from Ninjago and where every episode starts with someone yelling "TAKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUA!" alongside as many cliches as possible.

Also getting rid of the Unity Duty Destiny symbol. Seriously, I love that symbol.

Edited by Ayliffe
  • Upvote 1

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

Make the Toa nothing like their original namesakes. I.e, making Tahu a calm and collected leader, Onua a blundering fool, Lewa a coward. OR they all have the same personality. "I'm the Master of X! I will defend the matoran/agori/whatever and destroy all evil!" and that's basically all they are.

Oooohhhh I never even considered that. Yikes, that would be terrible  :dontgetit:

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Make it the exact same, story and set wise, as HF, and add the name Bionicle to it. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Give BIONICLE a really cheesy TV show where all of the characters sound like Lloyd from Ninjago and where every episode starts with someone yelling "TAKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUA!" alongside as many cliches as possible.

Also getting rid of the Unity Duty Destiny symbol. Seriously, I love that symbol.

I just had a nightmare thinking about this.

• Upvote 2

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

During the last years of Bionicle I couldn't keep up with all the different sidetracks the story made. I'd enjoy if the story went back to the relatively simple way it was in the first years. Then again I'd prefer a overly convoluted story to no story at all. Hopefully Lego has put in some work on the story since Bionicle without the story is hardly Bionicle at all.

The WORST thing?

Hire Stephanie Meyer as head story writer.

I'm sorry for any nightmares or retching this post may have induced. Please don't sue me.

That would be terrible, BUT if that ever happened TLG would be rich from twilight FANGIRLS buying the sets. So in a way, that would still somehow work. :P
  • Upvote 1

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

Oooohhhh I never even considered that. Yikes, that would be terrible  :dontgetit:

I would die a little inside.

I'm hoping that Lego has the sense to acknowledge the past without making the new sets inaccessible to the new fans. Shouldn't be too hard; set it on Spherus Magna without many references to the past, keep all the characters' personalities the same as they're not exactly problematic.

Hopefully they figure out a good balance. They're smart people, I'm sure they can.

The WORST thing?

Hire Stephanie Meyer as head story writer.

I'm sorry for any nightmares or retching this post may have induced. Please don't sue me.

That would be terrible, BUT if that ever happened TLG would be rich from twilight FANGIRLS buying the sets. So in a way, that would still somehow work. :P

Yeah, but then they'd have to keep marketing to said fangirls to keep their money flowing in. It'd probably spread to other lines, too. Before long, Lego would  exist purely to make Twilight sets. </sarcasm>

• Upvote 2

Actually I'm not sure that works. The symbol was eventually tied into the reforming of Spherus Magna, and that story's told now. Assuming the return (whether in future or past or sideways) has a new plot focus, a new symbol would make sense. Of course, a retelling of the same story is possible, so who knows. And I suppose they could keep the symbol just because (or maybe loosely tie it to new plot). Just sayin' -- a return need not keep that. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Your argument makes sense, but UDD was easily the most defining symbol of Bionicle as a whole (closely followed by the Kanohi Hau). While its deeper meaning may have been used in a story that's now over, and won't likely be relevant in the rebooted story, its original meaning of Unity, Duty, and Destiny could still be. After all, those virtues defined more than just the mission to reform Spherus Magna.

I can't say it would be ruined without that symbol, but I can say it would certainly be missed.

• Upvote 2

Good points about the virtues. Personally I think anything with "BIONICLE" on it would be recognizeable enough, but yeah. :P

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Just... over-simplified. End up just like every other regular theme with great sets but little-to-no story. That is the worst thing they could do.

-NotS

Tbh I pretty much bought them for the sets. Didn't really pay much attention to the story. Actually, I didn't even know where to find the story lol

Biosector 01 is a good place to start. Be aware though, it's full of spoilers and confusing for the uninitiated. Bioniclemediaproject is also a very cohesive compilation of all media, minus the movies. 

Oh, and the worst thing Lego, could do... honestly not bring back a combination of old and new molds.

Just... over-simplified. End up just like every other regular theme with great sets but little-to-no story. That is the worst thing they could do.

-NotS

Tbh I pretty much bought them for the sets. Didn't really pay much attention to the story. Actually, I didn't even know where to find the story lol

Biosector 01 is a good place to start. Be aware though, it's full of spoilers and confusing for the uninitiated. Bioniclemediaproject is also a very cohesive compilation of all media, minus the movies. 

Oh, and the worst thing Lego, could do... honestly not bring back a combination of old and new molds.

The issue with bringing back old molds is that older ones or more frequently-used ones that have worn out are typically destroyed, and to replace them costs a similar amount of money as designing a brand-new mold.

So depending on what sort of old molds you have in mind, there may or may not be any chance of them coming back. Obviously, standard Technic parts which have remained in use since Bionicle's end are no problem. Molds used infrequently near the end of Bionicle (or ones that continued to be used in Hero Factory) may also be possible, though it's no guarantee. But parts with old joints are no good (the sole possible exception being the Shadow Matoran foot, which was remolded for Hero Factory, but was only ever used in later production runs of a single set). Parts used thoroughly over the course of several years, like standard torso or limb parts, are similarly unlikely. And if a part hadn't been used since the early years of Bionicle, you can pretty much rule out its reappearance.

Personally, I'm less concerned about the use of old molds and more concerned about the introduction of new ones. Getting back an iconic classic weapon piece like Kopaka's sword (last used in Stars Skrall) would be nice—but getting something new with even more versatility, or a unique weapon type that Bionicle hasn't depicted before, could be even better.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Not to start an argument. I love the Bionicle movies. I've bought each one the day it came out in america. They do have their flaws and are sometimes confusing. For example: at the end of Bionicle 2, Vakama says that Lhikon gave up his powers and th Toa should do the same thing, but if Bionicle 3 happens before that scene, why is Vakama talking about a dead Turaga instead of Norik and the other Rahaga?

Because Lhikan willingly gave up his powers for the good of the Matoran, as the Toa Metru were destined to save the Matoran.

Another terrible thing that Lego could do? Bring back Chutespeak.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

Treespeak/Chutespeak was excellent when well-written. By well-written, I mean that the two combined words should mean more together than separate. Templar did an excellent job writing it. Farshtey, not so much. He relied far too much on combining redundant words to make a clunkier word, like Toa-hero.

• Upvote 2

Treespeak/Chutespeak was excellent when well-written. By well-written, I mean that the two combined words should mean more together than separate. Templar did an excellent job writing it. Farshtey, not so much. He relied far too much on combining redundant words to make a clunkier word, like Toa-hero.

Greg did acknowledge that he hated having to write it. It's difficult to get right, so I don't really blame him. And, the way he did it really didn't retract from anything.

I, for one, would support either version coming back.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I think the biggest mistake they could make in a broad sense would be trying to do too much with the line. Over analysing what made the original series successful and trying to emulate too many different aspects while additionally trying to put in new ideas they've thought of since then. I think they should begin by keeping things simple and not try to do too much initially and focus on doing what they do do, well. (If that makes sense).

For a more specific answer I'd really not like them to ignore the themes and style that has been associated with the series, that is basically just using the Bionicle names for some generic dime a dozen line. :/

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^