What is the worst thing lego could do with bionicle 2015?

masterchirox580

...It's a LEGO toyline, dude. I'm pretty sure people would be able to tell the difference between it and Transformers.

Also, He Man hasn't been relevant since 2002.

But my point stands. The "it's not what you've got, but what you do with it that makes you a hero" message and the song Move Along could fit either of those franchises just as well as BIONICLE. The use of those kinds of messages was not unique to the BIONICLE franchise's identity.

I'm not saying they were bad or that they don't fit BIONICLE. But they could fit just about any franchise that has heroes who carry equipment or face adversity (which describes most action stories).

Edited by Aanchir

But so what if they would have worked with any other line? They worked for Bionicle. I don't see any reason Bionicle needs to be unique so far as commercial goes. They have plenty of uniqueness in the franchise itself. I am content was it simply being epic. And seeing the Inika commercial go off when I was...14 was pretty epic for me. 

Cyroshell's songs were written for Bionicle. At no point or time did the song exist prior to being associated with Bionicle. No song has any association to Bionicle prior to being associated with Bionicle. Something that does not exist cannot be associated with Bionicle, and Creeps of the Deep did not exist prior to its conception. Existence is a requirement for being in association with.

I think what you meant to say was that Move Along was not created explicitly for the purpose of Bionicle. Which although true, isn't necessarily something bad. If it fits the theme, it fits the theme. I don't see any particular reason they couldn't adopt songs from artists. Obviously there are advantages to having your own band work for you, but lego worked with what they had...and 06 was a pretty awesome year so far as the release of the Inika was concerned. At the very least, it was for me. 

Edited by Prime Axiom

But so what if they would have worked with any other line? They worked for Bionicle. I don't see any reason Bionicle needs to be unique so far as commercial goes. They have plenty of uniqueness in the franchise itself. I am content was it simply being epic. And seeing the Inika commercial go off when I was...14 was pretty epic for me.

Again, I'm not saying this commercial was bad! I had no problem with it. I enjoyed it just fine. But you said it "embodies all that Bionicle is", and that's a HUGE oversimplification. There's a lot more to BIONICLE than anything in that ad.

Cryoshell's songs were written for Bionicle. At no point or time did the song exist prior to being associated with Bionicle. No song has any association to Bionicle prior to being associated with Bionicle. Something that does not exist cannot be associated with Bionicle, and Creeps of the Deep did not exist prior to its conception. Existence is a requirement for being in association with.

So are you saying that "Everything is Awesome" has no association with The LEGO Movie? After all, before it existed it wasn't associated with anything. But it was written for The LEGO Movie. If it weren't for The LEGO Movie, it would never have existed.

It doesn't matter whether those songs had any association BEFORE they were created. Nobody would be dumb enough to claim that a song that doesn't exist has any connection to anything. But the fact remains that Cryoshell's songs were written specifically for BIONICLE, so their connection to the BIONICLE theme began the moment they were conceived. Whereas Move Along fitting the BIONICLE theme is pure coincidence.

Again, I'm not saying anything about that song or that commercial is bad! But besides the sets themselves, nothing about that commercial is unique to the BIONICLE theme. It'd be like saying the Trajan font family, the LEGO Technic axle hole, or the term Turaga "embodies all that Bionicle is", when in reality each of those things is just an incredibly small part of BIONICLE's identity.

Edited by Aanchir

...It's a LEGO toyline, dude. I'm pretty sure people would be able to tell the difference between it and Transformers.

Apparently, from the outside, BIONICLE looks a lot like Transformers. People who don't know BIONICLE get it mixed up so much. It's annoying.

On topic, I loved "Move Along." That commercial was one of my favorites, too. The same way "Move Along" was just one part of BIONICLE, it was just one part of the commercial. There are other things I liked about it. I liked how it showed off what the weapons could do, and the Darker and Edgier feel of 2006 resonated with me well. It was general feel-good stuff, but it did make us all feel good, didn't it? Free the Band was stupid and cheesy looking back, but I loved the online games and it didn't detract from the official story.

The Barraki are some of my favorite characters because, unlike the Piraka, they actually did rule the world at one point, and were working to make things the way they were. 2007 was one of my favorite years, too, because of the darker feel. I think it suited BIONICLE well, and people and fans remember it as just as much as "the BIONICLE feeling" was the idyllic (by comparison) 01-03 era.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Again, I'm not saying this commercial was bad! I had no problem with it. I enjoyed it just fine. But you said it "embodies all that Bionicle is", and that's a HUGE oversimplification. There's a lot more to BIONICLE than anything in that ad.

Cryoshell's songs were written for Bionicle. At no point or time did the song exist prior to being associated with Bionicle. No song has any association to Bionicle prior to being associated with Bionicle. Something that does not exist cannot be associated with Bionicle, and Creeps of the Deep did not exist prior to its conception. Existence is a requirement for being in association with.

So are you saying that "Everything is Awesome" has no association with The LEGO Movie? After all, before it existed it wasn't associated with anything. But it was written for The LEGO Movie. If it weren't for The LEGO Movie, it would never have existed.

It doesn't matter whether those songs had any association BEFORE they were created. Nobody would be dumb enough to claim that a song that doesn't exist has any connection to anything. But the fact remains that Cryoshell's songs were written specifically for BIONICLE, so their connection to the BIONICLE theme began the moment they were conceived. Whereas Move Along fitting the BIONICLE theme is pure coincidence.

Again, I'm not saying anything about that song or that commercial is bad! But besides the sets themselves, nothing about that commercial is unique to the BIONICLE theme. It'd be like saying the Trajan font family, the LEGO Technic axle hole, or the term Turaga "embodies all that Bionicle is", when in reality each of those things is just an incredibly small part of BIONICLE's identity.

I'm just going to take your word for this. 

What I was trying to get across when I said that it was all that embodied bionicle was actually the speech given. For me, Bionicle was all about the execution of good storytelling of heroes. One of its recurring themes is what it meant to be a hero. The whole "You may look like a hero, you may feel like a hero. You may be one. You may be many. You may have new masks, new weapons, new armour. But its not what you've got its what you do with it that makes you a hero" speech really captured that essence. The music in the backround doesn't hurt.

That essence they should be going back to. You saw this theme with the Nuva when they fought the Kal. You saw this theme with the Metru when they faced Krahka. You saw this theme with matoran like Jaller. You saw this theme with Lhikan. Bionicle defined what a hero was for me as a child...and it did so with some pretty epic thematic storytelling. Which is why I say this is the style lego should be going back to. Lego doesn't need to convince me that Tahu has the best weapons ever. Lego doesn't need to tell me that Kopaka's armour is the state of the art. Chances are, I will buy a large majority of the 2015 line. Lego just needs to bring back the feeling of Bionicle. 

• Upvote 1

Aanch, when somebody says that some short phrase or speech "embodies everything" about something, it's generally implied that it's not saying there isn't other complexity, just that it summarizes the main theme, and he's right about this there. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)