Mask of Creation Prototypes and Concept Art

Hapori Tohu

tn_09_26_14_mask-of-creation-concept-art

LEGO has just released some really cool prototype pictures and concept art for the Mask of Creation on their Facebook page and on Google+. Not only does it have a ton of potential for speculation about the story (what could those backgrounds mean? Who is wearing the mask?) but they also give us a glimpse at the new head piece BIONICLE sets will most likely get next year. Check it out!

View the full article

• Upvote 8

The snake on the prototype image pictured is very interesting to me. That and some of the other shapes and motifs used make it look almost as if they where initially channeling something Mesoamerican (maybe?), which doesn't seem to be reflected in the final design. What is for sure is that this mask seems to have been designed as something fit for a King- all the designs are very crown-like.

Interesting.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

The snake on the prototype image pictured is very interesting to me. That and some of the other shapes and motifs used make it look almost as if they where initially channeling something Meso-American (maybe?), which doesn't seem to be reflected in the final design. What is for sure is that this mask seems to have been designed as something fit for a King- all the designs are very crown-like.

Interesting.

I think there's something kind of Meso-American in the final design; something about the angles and stuff comes together and just gives me this vibe, you know? Definitely the biggest vibe I'm getting from it.

These remind me of the concept art of the Chozo from the Metroid Prime games. Which makes them even cooler IMO. Its also really cool to see the Mask of Creation in another form. I do wonder who is wearing it though?

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

These look real sweet! I'm happy about the design we got. It looks the best out of all of them in my opinion. These also get me wondering if there will be a particular wearer for this mask in the new story. Maybe Artakha? I feel like these are just "models" to show the mask as it would look on a figure and aren't really going to be particularly canon, but there's no way of being sure. Until now the Mask of Creation has only been depicted by itself giving the impression that it's just a loose mask and doesn't have any real wearer.

It's clear they wanted to make this mask as epic-feeling as possible. Some of those designs might not quite be pulled off in reality - a little too big and chunky, but still neat looking.

There's such a thing as extravagance in design. :P The one they've settled on is good, I think.

Something tells me it's not just Artakha we're seeing here, if at all. Perhaps there is another new character that wears this mask after him?

APlayofLight_zps1888c63b.jpeg

Part One of the Chrysalis Saga

By Takuta-Nui

Concept art is what I least expected for today. But, it's probably the best to reveal! Looks very beautiful...

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

It's clear they wanted to make this mask as epic-feeling as possible. Some of those designs might not quite be pulled off in reality - a little too big and chunky, but still neat looking.

There's such a thing as extravagance in design. :P The one they've settled on is good, I think.

Something tells me it's not just Artakha we're seeing here, if at all. Perhaps there is another new character that wears this mask after him?

I personally just see it as "generic body to show what mask looks like when worn."

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Hmmmm, i think i see an eye/brain element sticking out the back of that head.

just a guess though.

I think I see that too. I really hope so, because the solid heads never really looked right. More like their entire face glows rather than just eyes. Metru heads always felt the most like a Toa head to me.

Well, I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get any new story info, but these designs look really cool. It all feels reminiscent of the '08 Battle for Power concepts, and I really like all the art. It's cool to see what could have been and possibly some concepts for Artahka.

In some of the pictures with the being wearing the mask, it says "mask maker". Maybe it is Artahka, who is now the creator of the great masks, or a being who is entirely different.

Another theory I have is if a being is living inside of the mask, much like how the Ignika had a consciousness in the story...

I have a good (well, better) feeling about future Bionicle material now.  Really digging the general theme of the concepts.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

My favorite's actually this one. I would have really liked to see that as a mask.

I get mad Halo / Forerunner vibes from that one. I really want it.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Anyway, this concept art is very interesting and it's nice to see LEGO interacting with the fans through Facebook and the rest of the media. The art should definitely keep me ticking over until the NYCC.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

So, after looking at these I have a few ideas on who is the "Mask Maker." The obvious choice would be Artahka, but the robes are throwing me a Great Being vibe, though I don't think those are known to where masks. But they invented the things, so they might have found a way to wear them.

Then again, 2015 could be a reboot and the "Mask Maker" could be a whole new concept and character.

I also just got a new desktop background using one of these, it looks really cool.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Really beautiful artwork. This was a pleasant surprise from LEGO. I love the style of the earlier prototypes, but the final version is my favorite. I find the LEGO Technic label really interesting... and unexpected. I'm not sure if it really means anything at this point, but I think it might be indication of a more technic basis to the assumed CCBS builds of the 2015 sets.

Bliss.png

Really beautiful artwork. This was a pleasant surprise from LEGO. I love the style of the earlier prototypes, but the final version is my favorite. I find the LEGO Technic label really interesting... and unexpected. I'm not sure if it really means anything at this point, but I think it might be indication of a more technic basis to the assumed CCBS builds of the 2015 sets.

I personally hope that the technic label indicates gear functions could be in some of the sets

Now referring to the mask head itself, it looks like they're making like like a hand socket rather it being a Metru head ball joint. 

I don't know whether that's a good or bad idea...

Considering that that's how all heads have been since 2009, and thus that's what the torso pieces in use today are meant to accommodate, I'd say it's a good idea.

Anyway, these concepts are pretty awesome! Certainly wasn't expecting this for the reveal today, but it's great. I love seeing the process for interesting designs and just Lego stuff in general. So much work goes into just this thing. It's great.

AXKP5KC.png

Re: the "Technic" label - When Bionicle first came out, it had the Technic logo on all the boxes and canisters and stuff for at least the first year, maybe two. I guess it's never really stopped being a Technic spinoff...technically. (Pun not intended, I swear.)

Man, I love looking at concept art. Besides just being flat-out gorgeous, it gives you such a feel for the vibes the creative team has wanted to convey at different times, and the 2001/Mata Nui vibes are only getting stronger (to me, at least) with the more Lego shows of Bionicle 2015.

In some of the pictures with the being wearing the mask, it says "mask maker". Maybe it is Artahka, who is now the creator of the great masks, or a being who is entirely different.

Another theory I have is if a being is living inside of the mask, much like how the Ignika had a consciousness in the story...

Actually, it says "Mask Macker". Clearly, they are just all over these masks in a romantical type way.

This also confirms the old face connection, because he just cannot keep his lips off these masks.*

*this is completely non-serious do not even think of treating this like actual speculation

• Upvote 9

Maybe it's just me, but the second concept art (the one in the thumbnail image) reminds me of this guy [from Banjo Tooie - in a Mayan world, no less, whaddya know]:

Bt_ungopaz.png

At any rate, I'm glad it ended up looking the way it did.

signature.png

Edited by Kayru
  • Upvote 1

signature.png

Wow, this is a very pleasant surprise behind-the-scenes reveal!

Funny thing is, my original headcanon for the MoC when it was first described was an exact cross between the first concept art and the final design. :D

Yeah, my favorites would definitely be the two I just mentioned for the above reason. I especially love how the first concept art looks like something out of a fantasy MMO and it would have been cool if it had ended up being the final product. Of course, I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible to shrink that down to a walnut-sized piece of plastic without massive quality loss, so I think the final design is the perfect shoice.

I would love it if the new sets have moving gear parts like the early years. It's one of the things I miss the most.

I just assumed "Mask Macker" to refer to the artist or the software and the different designs they were rendering out, not an actual character. Now that you mention it, Artakha is a possibility, yeah.

I loooove concept art and stuff like this, so I'm very happy with the reveal :D 

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .