Mask of Creation Prototypes and Concept Art

Hapori Tohu

If this is Artakha, some of those sure look like how he was describe from Reign of Shadows.

The eye slits were angular and pointed, giving him an air of both wisdom and a vague sense of menace.

To me, this one, seems to fit that "wisdom, yet menace" feeling.

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

...I see literally nothing in Matoran anywhere in these images.

In some of the pictures there are like a million 'O's in Matoran.

• Upvote 3

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Now this is a cool thing for Lego to put up! I always enjoy concept art and getting a look at development, and these are some really great pieces - it's nice to see Bionicle stuff rendered outside of plastic again.

I wonder if Lego'll keep this up as more official stuff is revealed? It could be a fun way for them to keep interest in the gap between sets being revealed and released.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I really wish they chose this one, because of the obvious Aztec/Bauhaus/art deco styling.  But the crown one is ok too.

4%2B3D%2BConcept%2B3.jpg

Hmm, looks like we'll probably be getting a new head mold after all, if this is anything to go by. Interesting~

My favorite's actually this one. I would have really liked to see that as a mask.

I get mad Halo / Forerunner vibes from that one. I really want it.

oops my hand slipped

10641056_745414978829622_539792487234396

Edited by Jahu
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure it was wise to do this. When I saw the actual image for the Mask of Creation, despite how different it was from the original description, I thought it was awesome. Now I see it could have been even cooler (mainly that first image) and the final design has slipped down a few notches in coolness factor in my eyes. :P

Even so, coolness is cool, so okay. :lol:

Edit: Plus, this design "intimidates" the Vahi and Ignika less, so there's that, heh.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Making a design like any of those concepts would have made a hunk of plastic large enough to shoot the price of whatever set it comes with at least two bucks more, might make their head massive enough to be weighed down by itself, and would be guaranteed to be hideous from at least one angle.

The current design has all the elegance and mystique of the concepts with none of the over-the-top bulkiness.

• Upvote 3

My main issue with the current design is that it just seems a bit too, I dunno, small.  :P

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I'd rather have it small than have a new Olmak that's impossible to use on something less than titan sized

The Olmak is the worst.

My main issue with the current design is that it just seems a bit too, I dunno, small.   :P

Seeing as how it seems to snugly fit on whatever this new head is... I bet they will all be this size.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

One thing that is very heartening for me as a long time fan is the quality of the concept art; it's not just a squiggle on some rough paper, it's fully-fleshed out concept art, the kind you see with Star Wars or Halo. That really adds to the grandiosity that LEGO seems to be going for with this relaunch. Of course, as it always has been, the storyline is the most important, but the fact that we're receiving such high-quality stuff at least hints to me that LEGO is going to do everything it can to make this work.

• Upvote 4

I'd rather have it small than have a new Olmak that's impossible to use on something less than titan sized

I agree! The Olmak, and 2008 Takanuva's Avohkii to an extent, were huge masks and that made them not as useful if you are not building a titan. Also, all of the other legendary masks were small, normal sized masks. The Vahi didn't even have a forehead!

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

(Who is wearing the mask?)

Uh... I thought this was obvious?  Unless lego decides to scrap the past decade or so of story (Which -could- happen, I guess), it's Artakha.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

My main issue with the current design is that it just seems a bit too, I dunno, small. :P

It's really not that small at all. This image shows the exact size in millimeters. It's 47.96 mm (about 6 modules) tall, 34 mm (4.25 modules) wide, and 29.141 mm (3.64 modules) deep. In other words, its proportions are fairly similar to the original Kanohi masks from 2001.

Personally, I don't mind larger masks like the Olmak. Sure, they can only work really well for super-huge titan characters, but they work a lot better for such characters than smaller masks often do. When building Hero Factory models on LDD I end up having to settle for Furno XL's mask for a lot of titan models because it's the largest mask in the software and smaller masks would make the character's head look puny. For regular sorts of masks that a lot of different characters will be wearing, I agree it's best to have them similar in size to the masks of smaller figures like Toa and Matoran, so you can use them on a wider variety of creations. But I haven't got any problem at all with "special" masks for titan characters being large and imposing.

(Who is wearing the mask?)

Uh... I thought this was obvious?  Unless lego decides to scrap the past decade or so of story (Which -could- happen, I guess), it's Artakha.

Well, all signs point to Lego doing exactly that. GregF in particular has made repeated statements to the effect that we shouldn't expect the mask to be worn by a past character and that we shouldn't assume the new theme will be a continuation. I can't imagine he'd be saying things like that if the new theme weren't going to be a reboot.

That said, the figure wearing the masks in this picture could easily be meant to represent Artakha, or even just a generic titan to show the mask off. In fact, in the absence of dates on all of the pictures, for all we know some of the early, painted concepts could be unused concepts from when Bionicle was still running, in which case the figure would almost certainly represent Artakha (it's unlikely, but anything's possible).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

He said not to make assumptions...

He also denied BIONICLE 2015 a million times.

Edited by Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

He said not to make assumptions...

He also denied BIONICLE 2015 a million times.

Failing to confirm BIONICLE is not the same as denying it. If you can find me a specific example where he said BIONICLE isn't coming back in 2015, maybe your argument holds water. But I am doubtful that such a post exists.

• Upvote 1

I agree! The Olmak, and 2008 Takanuva's Avohkii to an extent, were huge masks and that made them not as useful if you are not building a titan. Also, all of the other legendary masks were small, normal sized masks. The Vahi didn't even have a forehead!

Yeah, but the Mask of Creation's got a freaking crown on it!  It's grand in all but size, and that should be fixed!  :|

...seriously, though, I kinda feel like it being disproportionately big would actually fit the design.  I get what you mean with the Vahi and Ignika, but...

Edited by Endless Sea (still alive)

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

You mean "circles"? Those things?

Yes, the basis of the Matoran Language, the ones without any markings on the inside, a.k.a 'O'. 

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/b/bc/LetterO.png

If the guy wearing the mask is the mask maker, it could be a great being.

You mean "circles"? Those things?

Yes, the basis of the Matoran Language, the ones without any markings on the inside, a.k.a 'O'. 

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/b/bc/LetterO.png

...yes, but unless "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" means something, those are just circles. they don't mean anything.

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 4

It's obviously the Matoran letter for 'O' being repeated tons of times.

Maybe the designers of those images were going to add symbols inside, but we just don't see them in this concept art.

What do YOU think they are there for? Nothing? Fancy circles for fanciness? 

Maybe the designers of those images were going to add symbols inside, but we just don't see them in this concept art.

Since this is a LEGO design template? Probably just a pattern mimicking Technic holes or LEGO studs, like you see on plenty of other LEGO corporate documents.

Since this is a LEGO design template? Probably just a pattern mimicking Technic holes or LEGO studs, like you see on plenty of other LEGO corporate documents.

Plus, you know, it's not like repeated circle patterns are anything new in Bionicle outside of the Matoran language. Sometimes a circle is just a circle.

• Upvote 1

It's not obviously anything except for a simple repeating pattern.

Bliss.png

Actually, I was wrong. The pattern is not stylistic but rather functional, because as we can see in the picture that lists the mask's final measurements, the circles represent the mask's scale in LEGO modules. The distance between the center of one circle and the center of an adjacent circle represents exactly eight millimeters, or one LEGO module. So this is basically like fancy graph paper, or like photographing a physical part on a baseplate to show scale like they do on Bricklink.

• Upvote 5

All right! This is awesome! I can't believe that it's finally coming back! This is the best move LEGO could have possibly made! And for the record, the new Mask of Creation looks super cool!

:akaku: X-Ray :akaku:

Edited by X-Ray

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
- Ecclesiastes 4:12

Definitely really cool-looking concept art. The details in some of them are just amazing. A very particular style for sure, and looks very... mayan. I love the different designs they tried, and they look pretty great. Though I am happy with the final product.

And I also see and eye-stock. Excited to see the new heads!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I'm saddened that there is no new BIONICLE stuff coming tomorrow.

Atleast there's Korra Book 4 to look forward to.

I'm saddened that there is no new BIONICLE stuff coming tomorrow.

Atleast there's Korra Book 4 to look forward to.

Well, no BIONICLE stuff announced to be coming tomorrow. Now that they have social media pages to share things with they could always surprise us.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother