BZPower Front Page Updates

Hapori Tohu

A twitter account makes this guy with over 11,000 tweets a very happy tweeter. :P

I think the early 2000's look of soft blue and white is definitely Web 1.0. Hope the new design is sharper, cleaner, and more delicately layered like we are seeing in operating systems these days. Or at the very least, that it's a design that feels right for a site like this. Knowing the brilliancy and resourcefulness of the Staff when I was with them, I'm confident it'll be a great result.

APlayofLight_zps1888c63b.jpeg

Part One of the Chrysalis Saga

By Takuta-Nui

Thanks for the feedback everyone! While the design of the new front page is not yet finalized, we do have a good idea of the direction in which we'll be going. I think it will be a good move for the future of BZPower.

(except maybe the double space under the Premier Members block, just ergh)

You can blame your ad blocker for that.

Another thing: being that the front page has looked the same for so long now, is it possible that you could include a "classic mode" so that older fans can switch back to a version which looks like the original? I think that would make everyone happy.

That's not really possible without having the same exact vulnerability problems as the current homepage. The current homepage would have to be reworked quite a bit under the hood to fix that, and I don't think it would be worth the staff's time to do that.

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

Another thing: being that the front page has looked the same for so long now, is it possible that you could include a "classic mode" so that older fans can switch back to a version which looks like the original? I think that would make everyone happy.

That's not really possible without having the same exact vulnerability problems as the current homepage. The current homepage would have to be reworked quite a bit under the hood to fix that, and I don't think it would be worth the staff's time to do that.

Yes, I'm sure it would require a re-write. Forgive my ignorance, but what vulnerability problems are you referring to?

Yes, I'm sure it would require a re-write. Forgive my ignorance, but what vulnerability problems are you referring to?

It wouldn't exactly be prudent of me to say what vulnerabilities that I know of in a public topic. :P The staff is aware of them, though, so I'm sure they'll have them fixed in the overhaul.

Bliss.png

Those small tweaks are pretty small. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Those small tweaks are pretty small.

We did consider a pretty big optical overhaul for some time but in the end it was decided it would be better to focus our resources on the big thing.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

It needs to be brought up to date with the current appearance of the forums, and in a style that is attractive to the general population at present.

I am pleased to see changes being implemented; while I feel like giving the social media buttons their own box on the left (right above the link to the forums) would be more visually appealing, they certainly do standout. I really like the Twitter feed on the right hand side. 

I'm not saying keep it exactly the same. I'm saying keep it recognizable. While I look forward to the changes being made, I think it'd be a little off-putting if everything were totally different from what it used to be. For instance, I'd still like to see Toa Nuva heads mark what kind of news is being reported. I'd appreciate seeing these little things kept in one way or another.

• Upvote 1

It wouldn't exactly be prudent of me to say what vulnerabilities that I know of in a public topic. :P The staff is aware of them, though, so I'm sure they'll have them fixed in the overhaul.

I'll take that as a good sign. It's one thing to be aware of vulnerabilities and another to be willing to discuss them openly with just anyone.

I can see two new elements and there are a bunch of missing/removed ones.

Besides the hot topics and member spotlight...I feel like there are other stuff that got removed, I just don't remember what. Neither of those was really integral to front page, I don't really mind their absence. 

The tweets sidebar is nice, I like it. 

I don't, however, like the placement and layout of the social connections buttons. They just stand out, and not in a good way. Hopefully they can be reworked/redesigned to fit in better with the rest of the page.

{Z}

Remember when we had a little thing called the forum archive? And then it got hacked out? Yeah. 

When the new snazzy page gets up, I want the old one burned with fire. I say this at cost to myself, because the old stuff I saved from the archive links to the old front page, but I don't want to see this site hacked again. I've lost too much to that sort of that thing happening. 

• Upvote 2

Remember when we had a little thing called the forum archive? And then it got hacked out? Yeah. 

When the new snazzy page gets up, I want the old one burned with fire. I say this at cost to myself, because the old stuff I saved from the archive links to the old front page, but I don't want to see this site hacked again. I've lost too much to that sort of that thing happening. 

My point was simply to have a version which looks visually similar to the classic version, which should (in principle) be independent from its security. From what I hear, this would require a major rewrite of the old code. I agree that hack prevention should be the priority. But there is no technical reason why the old interface can't be made to work. The force working against that is the amount of time and effort it would take to re-implement it.

My point was simply to have a version which looks visually similar to the classic version, which should (in principle) be independent from its security. From what I hear, this would require a major rewrite of the old code. I agree that hack prevention should be the priority. But there is no technical reason why the old interface can't be made to work. The force working against that is the amount of time and effort it would take to re-implement it.

It's possible, but the work required probably makes it prohibitive. It takes forever for this website to do anything technical, so I think it's more likely that we will see a new front page before such a "classic mode" would be built, if ever. 

The tweet feed is nice - little social media integration things like this I suspect will become important for the survival of the site.

I don't know if survive is the best word, I might have picked modernization, but you are certainly right about that. But still...

Yo dog, I heard you liked social media so we put social media in your social media so you can like while you like!

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015