Catering to Us Fans in Bionicle 2015?

Banana Gunz

I was thinking about how Bionicle is so important for Lego. It is one of the biggest things they have ever done and the closest they've gotten to making something mainstream. It is one of the few and Lego's only toy lines to develop a serious fan base. Other themes have their small fan bases, but Bionicle is the biggest is based on a story theme. We're pretty special (to me at least...).

So my thought was, that if we're so special and mean to much, should we get some special acknowledgement in Bionicle 2015? What I mean by this is that although the line will obviously be targeted towards younger fans, will we get something made specifically for the old fans, us?

My thought was maybe some funny Bionicle-related t-shirts that they would sell directly. They would have stuff from the MNOG and such that only us fans would really understand.

One idea for these I had was a MNOG picture of Hafu with sunglasses, his hammer, and a caption saying "Another Hafu Original" (this idea was inspired by a previous discussion on my mask attachments topic). These could be similar to the "Ta-Koro Guards" t-shirts I saw floating around.

But what other ideas do you have? Do you think it's probable that Lego would do something like this?

Bionicle has developed to become more than just an average Lego theme, and if the fans hadn't been so devoted and supportive of Bionicle, it probably would've ended very quickly. In fact, seeing that Bionicle was popular enough to have a large fan base could've inspired Lego to believe that it is worth bringing back (along with those other millions of marketing reasons and how much money it made).

• Upvote 4

There might be a couple of memorable names scattered in the storyline here and there. But the new fans will be the target demographic.

What might happen is the more creative fans amongst us might start making personalised merch and selling it for the new fans, such as Redbubble shirts and whatnot.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

I'm honestly just hoping for a few references to characters. If the original lore still stands, maybe we'll hear that Vakama and co finished their time as turaga and passed into legend or that the Chronicler's company became Toa Masters.

Heck, maybe they could just do some random status updates like that, kind of like news headlines on the Bionicle Site or something to make the world seem bigger.

Edited by jakest123
  • Upvote 1

Bionicle always gives wiggle room to the fans, much like the building competitions where you submit your own characters. Though the story does not need to be driven by the fans as there was once a game which catered to the fans 100% is now dead because the players ruined the game. However bionicle is a place of creativity and I would be delighted to see some fan created characters.

Let's not forget, when Bionicle started out in '01, it was catering to a young fanbase also. The people grew up, and Bionicle matured along with them. 

As for me...those Gali hook earrings still look pretty swag... 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

I think the LEGO Group's first order of business is to promote BIONICLE in ways that any fans, old or new, will appreciate. This could include things like T-shirts, etc, but with characters and slogans that newer and older fans alike will appreciate and understand.

If that is successful, then MAYBE the LEGO Group could expand their marketing to include things specifically geared towards "old-school" fans, perhaps even with fan involvement in the designs. But starting out by showing a preference for older fans and older sets and story would send the wrong message entirely.

• Upvote 3

Well, I've pulled up this example before - Hasbro a has a booming collectors market with the Masterpiece line of Transformers figures. Perhaps we'll see something like that, kind of like the fancier, expensive sets that most kids wouldn't get their hands on. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Well, I've pulled up this example before - Hasbro a has a booming collectors market with the Masterpiece line of Transformers figures. Perhaps we'll see something like that, kind of like the fancier, expensive sets that most kids wouldn't get their hands on. 

Maybe, but I doubt it. Older fans aren't even a reliable audience for regular-sized constraction sets. Why would Lego think they'd be able to sustain a line of larger and more costly sets?

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah, pandering to old fans in any significant fashion can only result in alienating new fans. Also, it's just generally a bad idea.

I'm not sure we can generalize like this. There's the "I have a little brother and I'm going to introduce him to Bionicle now that it's back" factor. :shrugs: 

I've also had parents passing me in the toy aisle ask me questions for odd reasons. I directed one parent away from purchasing Mega Bloks. :P

• Upvote 2

Yeah, pandering to old fans in any significant fashion can only result in alienating new fans. Also, it's just generally a bad idea.

I'm not sure we can generalize like this. There's the "I have a little brother and I'm going to introduce him to Bionicle now that it's back" factor. :shrugs:

I've also had parents passing me in the toy aisle ask me questions for odd reasons. I directed one parent away from purchasing Mega Bloks. :P

I'm not sure that's the same thing as Lego making an effort to cater to old fans...?

AXKP5KC.png

The only nodding to original fans I think we could possibly see happening is if it were a continuation, of course. That doesn't seem very likely now. LEGO has a new audience to focus on. However, they are just HOPING old fans will tag along, due to nostalgic purposes.

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

I'm not sure that's the same thing as Lego making an effort to cater to old fans...?

Bananna Gunz was suggesting that they make us a T-shirt. If I walk into a Target with that T-shirt on, and some parent asks me what it is, score one for Lego, yeah? Or if I have a set that I bought because Lego catered to me a little bit, and my little brother walks in and asks me what I'm doing...

...see what I mean?

Bananna Gunz was suggesting that they make us a T-shirt. If I walk into a Target with that T-shirt on, and some parent asks me what it is, score one for Lego, yeah? Or if I have a set that I bought because Lego catered to me a little bit, and my little brother walks in and asks me what I'm doing...

...see what I mean?

Ah, I see. Yeah, I suppose something like that is possible, though it still seems like a bit of a reach. At least, at the beginning of the line. We have no idea how successful the new Bionicle will be. Obviously we all hope it will succeed, and if Lego sees that the old sets are an important enough market to cater to us after already securing a market of new fans), something like this might end up happening, but I doubt such a roundabout way of reaching customers is anywhere near Lego's main goals right now.

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

I remember when I was just a wee little tad so many years ago and I was flipping through a Lego catalog. I came across things that only AFOL's would ever use, like Lego themed cork screws, ice pans, salt shakers, beer pads, etc. Lego has made products for older fans before. And making a Bionicle t-shirt aimed at older fans isn't really alienating anyone. If it confuses younger fans, chances are they will either start looking into it (which like fishers said would only be bonus points for Lego), or ignore it.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I suppose something like that is possible, though it still seems like a bit of a reach. At least, at the beginning of the line. We have no idea how successful the new Bionicle will be. Obviously we all hope it will succeed, and if Lego sees that the old sets are an important enough market to cater to us after already securing a market of new fans), something like this might end up happening, but I doubt such a roundabout way of reaching customers is anywhere near Lego's main goals right now.

This is true, but I was objecting to the assertion that only bad could come of such a thing. That's too extreme. 

It will probably be a while off though. It took Lego a few years to recognize and add touches for the periphery demographic in Ninjago, so that might be the case here. Also the first year is going to be heavily focused on getting new fans by necessity. If new Bionicle survives its first year, though, I could see them doing a thing or two. Probably not something huge though. 

This is true, but I was objecting to the assertion that only bad could come of such a thing. That's too extreme. 

It will probably be a while off though. It took Lego a few years to recognize and add touches for the periphery demographic in Ninjago, so that might be the case here. Also the first year is going to be heavily focused on getting new fans by necessity. If new Bionicle survives its first year, though, I could see them doing a thing or two. Probably not something huge though. 

Well, note that I said "catering to fans in any significant fashion," by which I was referring more to big in-story references and stuff of that sort, rather than merchandising. Though rereading the topic again it seems to be focusing on stuff like t-shirts rather than catering in a wider sense, so I guess that's my mistake.

AXKP5KC.png

Well, I've pulled up this example before - Hasbro a has a booming collectors market with the Masterpiece line of Transformers figures. Perhaps we'll see something like that, kind of like the fancier, expensive sets that most kids wouldn't get their hands on.

Hasbro's primary "booming market" is kids, while collectors are only a small portion. They complain about mpst things Hasbro gives them anyway.

So, no, I don't think LEGO should pander to older fans. It just leads to complaints and rage if what they get isn't what they want.

Oh wait, people are already doing that.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

In terms of things like T-shirts and the like, I would LOVE Lego to focus more on older fans, not just for Bionicle, but in general. Adult-sized official Lego clothing is a rare sight and what there is doesn't offer a lot of selection. I've suggested to multiple Lego employees that perhaps Lego should partner with a company like We Love Fine to allow for more diverse Lego clothing designed by artistic fans with fans of all ages in mind, but so far no luck.

On the other hand, when Bionicle's new sets and story are formally announced at NYCC, or maybe when the sets themselves become available, perhaps it'll prompt UNLICENSED sellers like TeeFury to release some retro Bionicle designs aimed at older fans. It's not the same as Lego-licensed merch but it might be the best we can hope for.

The thing about large fan followings is that they're self sufficient. We can make our own t-shirts, etc. LEGO doesn't need to allocate resources towards fan pandering, and it wouldn't be a good idea to do so either. It's just not their top priority. Bringing back Bionicle is enough catering that we fans need, lord knows the new CCBS theme could've been anything else. Easter eggs, shotouts, maybe a nice acknowledgment for the dedication and persistence of the fanbase, but I don't expect anything more.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I remember when I was just a wee little tad so many years ago and I was flipping through a Lego catalog. I came across things that only AFOL's would ever use, like Lego themed cork screws, ice pans, salt shakers, beer pads, etc. Lego has made products for older fans before.

And it was that sort of branded marketing that put Lego in such dire financial straits in the early '00s, since pretty much none of it paid off. I doubt they'll ever do very much of that sort of thing again.

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

The thing about large fan followings is that they're self sufficient. We can make our own t-shirts, etc. LEGO doesn't need to allocate resources towards fan pandering, and it wouldn't be a good idea to do so either. It's just not their top priority. Bringing back Bionicle is enough catering that we fans need, lord knows the new CCBS theme could've been anything else. Easter eggs, shotouts, maybe a nice acknowledgment for the dedication and persistence of the fanbase, but I don't expect anything more.

There are a couple of t-shirts already made on Redbubble by older fans.

So there is definitely potential in us older fans catering for ourselves whilst exploring what is pretty much going to be a reboot aimed at the younger audience.

• Upvote 1

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

Honestly, the one thing I'd like as a benefit for the older fans is closure to the old serials.  I know it's not likely, and it could be really confusing to new fans, but I'd just like to see what happens.  The serials all ended on a cliffhanger.  Lewa, Helryx, Artahka, and company are trapped in that fortress, Kopaka and Pohatu are with Mavrah on the Red Star... I just want to know what happens next.  The new story could be a total unconnected reboot; if a few years down the line, Greg had some free time and was able to finish those stories (after there's been some time to develop the new fanbase, so they won't be immediately confused), even if they had no effect on the current story, I would be happy.   I know there's a lot of logistical issues, and Greg might be pretty rusty on the old story if the new story is a reboot, so this likely won't and probably shouldn't happen, but I can dream, can't I?

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

I'm afraid that a reboot will split the community between the old series fans and the new series fans. Look at Transformers -- the G1 folks vs the young generation. I see a lot of mocking each other and random arguments over dumb things, and old fans complaining the reboot characters aren't faithful to their originals, and all sorts of butthurt on all sides.

I'm afraid that a reboot will split the community between the old series fans and the new series fans. Look at Transformers -- the G1 folks vs the young generation. I see a lot of mocking each other and random arguments over dumb things, and old fans complaining the reboot characters aren't faithful to their originals, and all sorts of butthurt on all sides.

...That doesn't sound a lot different from how the Bionicle community has ever been.

Besides, if it were a continuation people would still find reasons to hate it. And not just the folks hoping for a reboot—many of the anti-reboot folks want Bionicle to return with the exact same look, mood and feel it used to have, and there are a LOT of reasons why it won't. A continuation is no more a guarantee that the theme will appeal to older fans than a reboot is.

• Upvote 2

They're probably gonna target new fans because old fans are probably already gonna buy them anyways. My question is if children of Hero Factory (those who've never had Bionicles) going to get Bionicles, or if they're gonna reject it like a lot of Bionicle fans did when HF first came out.

They better accept the originals!!!

Frankly, the new sets look just like Hero Factory, so the younger audience probably won't care.