Tales of the Masks questions

I was reading Tales of the Masks and I came across a couple things that puzzled me:

1-When the Turaga are discussing their secrets, Matoro is there as Nuju's translator. Is he aware of Metru Nui? Or just knows they have secrets and doesn't try to find out any more?

2-Macku refers to Hahli as her Kohlii partner, but this takes place before Nokama appoints Hahli over Kotu, right?

3-This one's a bit more nitpicky, but in the Turaga's stories they mention some things they can't know like the Toa's thoughts and the details of Hahli's arrival and what Macku was doing when she arrived, even if the theory that Matau and Onewa were spying on the Toa while using their Huna is true. Are the stories as we read them narrated by a normal omniscient narrator while they just tell each other adaptions in-universe?

Alright, thanks! That's really cool about Matoro. I suppose Macku's line is just non-canon due to it being an error. Thanks again! Thread can now be closed.

Turaga Nokama was telling this story after Hahli was appointed, and that line is in the narration.  Maybe she was just making it easier for the other Turaga.

• Upvote 1

For Macku/Hahli, I'm pretty sure the storytelling takes place right before Mask of Light, given how the Turaga run into Jaller at the end. 

The stories the Turaga tell take place during the events of Makuta's Revenge, but the storytelling itself takes place between Makuta's Revenge and Mask of Light, concurrent with the events of MNOG 2. 

• Upvote 1

I'm certain that if there was a super-secret meeting where Nuju couldn't afford to have Matoro present, he'd just speak normal Matoran. Otherwise Matoro could possibly know about Metru Nui, the Bohrok, and of Makuta's true form, the Kraata cave in Po-Wahi, and a whole slew of other things.

For what it's worth, Nuju speaks Matoran/English when he first meets Kopaka in the comics, despite Matoro being right there. In another comic I believe we see him alone with the rest of the Turaga, though I can't remember if he speaks there.

Edited by Katuko

1. Yes, Matoro knew. That was why he felt so guilty. He was also the one Matoran who knew Mata Nui was dying.

2. It could be an error. It could also be Makuta mentioning something he glimpsed from the future perhaps?

3. I see it as what they imagine what happened. It is like telling stories around a camp fire or other traditional setting. You may not know what the character in your story said or thought, but you know the outcome, and you very well heard their own personal account as well.

~Xeo~

For the Matoro knowing, read Legends 1: Island of Doom. When Jaller found Matoro in Ko-Metru, he knew something was up. And from the look in Matoro's eyes, a secret he wasn't suppose to share. Now, I know this is in relation to Mata Nui dying, but in order for Jaller to recognize a look in Matoro's eyes as he was keeping a secret means that Jaller knew that Matoro's roll meant he had to keep secrets and that his character, i.e. who he is, meant that Matoro couldn't tell anyone anything. So yeah, I say Matoro knew about Metru Nui, why else would he have been Nuju's personal aid if he didn't and kept it a secret.

As for the narration, I'm going with oversight. It's a common thing that happens in "published" storytelling. By that, I mean, when someone else is writing a story that a character is suppose to be telling. It happens a lot in books, TV (great example would be How I Met Your Mother), and sometimes in movies. Just take it with a pinch a salt as to whether or not you believe it's canonical or not.

FoF

Credit to ~the Big X~ for avatar