Bionicle Tabletop RPG

NStephenH

I'm not sure about energy being lowered when you take damage, but otherwise it sound's great.  Maybe if you can give me a bit more of an explanation of how  vitality would work in this game.

I like how vitality can apply to other species as well, them using it for strenuous activities.

A quick note-how would healing work?  I would want it to be set up so no specific character needs to be designated the "healer" but i also think that having the Turaga, (with their extensive experience) capable of functioning as skilled healers would give them something unique.

Six Kingdoms Characters: Mazor, Jephro, The Janitor, Informant

Vitality depletion isn't really damage, more like fatigue. If you're blasted with Fire, you're hurt but not fatigued, and you lose Health. If you're blasted with Air, you're fatigued but not hurt, and you lose Vitality.

Healing is a skill that any character can learn, and use if they have supplies available. Making a character specialized for healing is your choice.

Edited by Akavakaku

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Ok, but determining whether a strike does vitality damage or regular damage might get complicated.  Should an element just be tied to one type of damage unless that stat is depleted?

EDIT: For example, fire or rock would be damage but air or sonics would be vitality.

Edited by Smudge8

Ok, but determining whether a strike does vitality damage or regular damage might get complicated.  Should an element just be tied to one type of damage unless that stat is depleted?

EDIT: For example, fire or rock would be damage but air or sonics would be vitality.

Hmm. Well, initially I was thinking of having the player choose whether to take Vitality damage or Health damage, but this may not be the best way to do it. I think it may be good to have certain elements tied to specific forms of damage. Fire, Earth, and Rock can do direct damage to Health, while Ice, Air, and Water mostly can do Vitality damage. This can lead to some interesting strategies for Ice, Water, and Air Toa who will have to use their powers in unique ways to damage health. For example, a Toa of Ice could make an enemy slide into a wall to deal damage to Health.

The human world revolves around electricity.  I wonder what would happen if I, Toa Tahnok-Kal, blacked out the power grid and become the only power source for humanity?

I was really upset when Takua found the legendary Mask of Light, but I got over it when I found an even better Great Mask - The Great Mask of Pecan Pie.

Or shoot them with icicles. But anyway, I think it should be mainly non-power-based attacks that can be taken either to Health or Vitality; you can dodge or deflect a disc or a a sword, but not a cyclone or an earthquake.

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Or shoot them with icicles. But anyway, I think it should be mainly non-power-based attacks that can be taken either to Health or Vitality; you can dodge or deflect a disc or a a sword, but not a cyclone or an earthquake.

I can agree with the non-power attack thing.

To help determine what type of damage an attack does (whether or not types are tied to a damage type) and what additional effects some attacks may have, we should consider including a list of rules for obvious tactics like coating the floor with ice or making a wall of fire.  More unorthodox attacks like creating a giant wheel of stone would be left to the storyteller's judgement.

Also, just a quick clarification.  Vitality is what you spend and Energy is the max amount you can spend at one time, right?

Edited by Smudge8

I can agree with the non-power attack thing.

To help determine what type of damage an attack does (whether or not types are tied to a damage type) and what additional effects some attacks may have, we should consider including a list of rules for obvious tactics like coating the floor with ice or making a wall of fire.  More unorthodox attacks like creating a giant wheel of stone would be left to the storyteller's judgement.

Also, just a quick clarification.  Vitality is what you spend and Energy is the max amount you can spend at one time, right?

Actually, I'm not sure what Energy is. It was initially part of Akavaku's RPG project (we just recently started working together). I grabbed it and threw it into derived stats, but if your definition is what we use, I'm thinking it should be a main stat. Spending Vitality when performing powers was one of my ideas, so I know Energy wasn't tied to Vitality in Akavakaku's original plan. I was kind of under the impression that higher energy increased the effectiveness/damage of powers.

Akavakaku, what is your plan for Energy? This is something we should talk about

The human world revolves around electricity.  I wonder what would happen if I, Toa Tahnok-Kal, blacked out the power grid and become the only power source for humanity?

I was really upset when Takua found the legendary Mask of Light, but I got over it when I found an even better Great Mask - The Great Mask of Pecan Pie.

Guys, there is a reason no one has ever finished a project like this.  We need to stay involved in this.  Personally, I want to see this through to the end so that I can show this to my friends and say, "I helped make this."  Who Is with me?

"Now don't be hasty master Meriadoc... It take a long time to say anything in old Entish - and - we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say." - Treebeard

Kidding aside, it is taking us longer than I expected.  Communicating through forums can make the process pretty long.  Anyway, I'm not sure why you are asking "Who is with me?"  I have been working on the document as much as I can.  Oh, and feel free to start adding sections in the document and noting it on this forum.  I have been checking BZPower pretty much every day.

I'm still here. Basically I wanted Energy to be the powers' equivalent of strength. A higher-level Kraata will have a much higher Energy stat, for instance. But I'm not sure the stat makes sense anymore. Other opinions?

I'm actually going to be off work next week, so I'm already planning on working extra on the RPG. I can PM you later with some times we can chat. Have you ever used Google Hangouts?

I'm also a member of Board Game Designer Forum, and there are some really helpful guys over there. We may not get anymore people to work on the project, but they always have good suggestions. I think I'll ask some of them to read over the rules after we get a little more organized.

I'm still here. Basically I wanted Energy to be the powers' equivalent of strength. A higher-level Kraata will have a much higher Energy stat, for instance. But I'm not sure the stat makes sense anymore. Other opinions?

I kind of like Smudge's idea below.

If this is the case, we obviously need to have an advantage to spending a lot of vitality at once.  Maybe the strength of a power exponentially increases with the amount of Vitality spent?  I like this.  Spending lots of Vitality could be a double edge sword.  It could grant you big battle changing attack boosts, but it could also wear you out to quickly.  That gives players some nice strategical things to consider.  In fact, it even supports the whole Unity thing.  Toa will have to work together, especially when they are wearing down.

Also, I think this should also tie into Nova Blasts.  I think Toa should be able to spend a huge amount of Vitality (probably above the Energy level) in dire situations.  Of course, there will be consequences, and the Toa will be wiped out for quite some time.  Maybe Vitaility would only be restored at a 1/4 rate after a Nova Blast?  Hmm, maybe if there is not enough Vitality for a Toa to use a Nova Blast, the player could eat into the Hit Points instead?  What do you think?  

I'm not sure about how to limit the Nova blasts but I think it is safe to say that one balancing point is that, from my impressions, Nova blasts effect  an area about a mile in diameter, at least, so the chanse of KOing your team mates would be extremely high.  Perhaps the user should also be severely damaged after doing it.

I was so tempted to type portions of this post in all caps for emphasis.

Whoops. My knowledge of Nova Blasts got warped by Bionicle The Game, which is apparently not cannon. I didn't realize a Nova Blast was that huge. Since that's the case, I don't think we even need to include rules for it.

So what do you think about power strength increasing with the amount of Vitality spent?

Yea, Nova blasts are pretty large.  The only time one has ever been used in cannon is when Gali Nuva wiped out an entire island with a flood.

As I have said before I totaly think the more you spend the more damage your attacks may do,  if the damage was determined by a dice roll than the die you used could scale up.  Also the damage the attack does may be influenced by the specific attack, such as area-of-effect attacks or attacks that are purely tactical and do no damage on the turn they are used (I refer you to my erlier post)

• 1 month later...

So have we decided the base stats yet? Strength, Energy, Speed, Agility, Will, Sapience, Health and Vitality? Or will we forego Energy and simply represent powers of varying strength with different "moves," kind of like Pokemon?

Edited by Akavakaku

So what is the progress on this? I've never played a tabletop related RP though I have played stat based games including SW KOTOR and KOTOR II where one had to spend their stats wisely based on how they wanted to play. It had a dice roll style mechanic involved in it and while one could actively see what the rolls were if they wanted it was behind the scenes and the player didn't have to actively roll any dice. Just select what skill they wanted to do and the game did the roll automatically. I suspect a tabletop version would act similar only on a manual standpoint.

So how much has been established so far? I'm guessing somebody is recording all this into some form of massive instruction booklet?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

wow, 24 pages.

I'd love to help if able just one problem. I have never played a tabletop RPG as stated in my last post. That being said if I can help I see no reason not to. Once ability is in question so let's begin...

*Begins to start reading*

EDIT: Wow, that was a read. Being that I am coming in late how final is the content already in this so far? Being that I have no idea what I am doing I was going to ask about some of what I read.

The first being the stat choices. While I can understand why the Matoran start out with 5 and the Toa being more powerful start out at 15 why are the Turaga all 5s as well? The reason I ask is because while weaker than Toa as they have sacrificed most of their power they are still stronger than Matoran and should be shown in their starting stats right? Also what is with this fragility deal? I mean yeah sure the Turaga may look like frail old Matoran but in reality they are not. So why have a penalty there?

So what is keeping a player from having a Toa and never having a Matoran or Turaga? I don't see any advantages yet for rolling one of the smaller races over a Toa. Not only are the smaller races weaker stat wise but have no advantages to being played. This should be modified if that is an option to make them balanced so someone playing could actually want to play something other than a Toa.

Also what is with the choices for the elemental stat boosts and why do the original elements only have a single stat boost over the later with 2. This seems unbalanced. Either we need to remove some of the stats or maybe boost them from 1 to 3. If we are going to keep with the 3+ elemental bonus to stats but only want a single stat increase then increase it to +3 or maybe +2 and then a +1 in a second stat. Again to make the elements like the species selection more balanced. Otherwise why would anyone want to roll a fire element when Lightning, Glass(really?),

Sorry didn't notice the -1 on the extra elements.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I have no idea how final this is.

I agree, we probably should increase the Turaga's stat's a bit.

The point of the unbalanced races was accuracy.  Matoran and Turaga are weaker than Toa, that is a fact. Although I don't see a problem with giving them some other advantages that don't necessarily apply to combat.  For example, Matoran are small, they could be better at sneaking.

One idea that comes to mind of why chose a Matoran/Turaga is story. Your team could start out as Matoran, than they find Toa stones as part of the story and transform.

Also, once we get the important stuff down do you think we could add a few more species, like Skakdi and Vortixx?

Well while I don't know officially regarding D&D rulings but stats work for more than combat. For example the Turaga would be smarter than both Toa and Matoran due to them having the experience of both and would get a bonus to Int rolls regarding say puzzles. Physically speaking the Toa should be more powerful than the other two races thus far, but have penalties in place as well. For example

• Toa: Better for combat due to having more elemental control. Getting a bonus to combat rolls based on opponent's roll.
  • Turaga: Better for strategy as they have experience on their side. Getting a bonus to intel based rolls such as control or puzzles
  • Matoran: better for sneaking around as their smaller stature could go unnoticed giving them a bonus to stealth or perhaps evasion rolls.

Now in time we can go further into the complexity of each's bonuses such as

• Toa: Large elemental energy pool, Normal elemental cost to use powers.
  • Turaga: Smaller elemental pool but an int roll reduces cost of powers
  • Matoran: Smallest elemental pool but costs nothing to use their limited powers.
    • Le-Matoran: Bonus agil roll applied to evation or steath in combat
    • Onu-Matoran: Bonus str roll applied to combat or resistance/defence
    • Po-Matoran: Bonus of some kind to resistance

So on and so forth. We can go into greater detail later when we get the basic down first. Story wise I could understand. Making the Toa and Turaga elite classes forcing all players to evolve/upgrade their character to progress maybe. Though that would mean that there would have to be massive bonuses to Turaga since they are the last stage thus becoming weaker would not suit well for a player. Also while I don't really like how the Matoran cannot use mask powers I don't want to be forced to upgrade my character just to progress or beat the game.

Right... we are going to need to format some Rahi into the game and work out their stats and bonuses as well. I vote control over the Bohrok swarms as both an NPC and PC perspectives. As the Bohrok are upgrade-ish of Av-Matoran could be possible.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

Onua.png

I would think that the specific bonuses for each element would be covered by the stat tweaks.

Story wise, I can understand, that kind of thing would be biased on the preference of the group playing.

The Turaga would just have a lower Energy stat.  Meaning they can't use as strong of elemental attacks.  I agree that they would have some sort of Intelegence bonus.  Since the frailty thing was never specified we should just remove it.

The Matoran are more complicated, they aren't supposed to have any elemental powers beyond the basic passive ones that come with each element.  They certainly would have more speed and agility than Toa.

Should these bonuses just be applied to their base stats?

What do you think Akavakaku?

Well we need to be careful on what bonuses do or don't do also because while the Matoran are smaller and can get into smaller places or be less noticeable, when you factor in both a Toa bonuses along with mask ability bonuses (Mask of speed anyone?). While the mask bonuses would be limited use based on a Toa or Turaga's energy pool, could still leave poor Matoran in the dust.

The three current races should be seen as balanced with the others possibly at a glance. Otherwise someone may never want to play as one of the other. Why play a Matoran unless you have to?

Onua.png

I could see that. I mean they do have the Disk launchers and elemental disks that could give bonuses such as to ranged attacks. Like an Archer vs Warrior class.

Onua.png

I simply didn't know Turaga were stronger than Matoran. As for intelligence, I'm not sure that becoming a Turaga improves your mental faculties. I think it's more that being a Turaga allows you to develop your wisdom in a way that you wouldn't as a Toa or a Matoran. Whether this would translate to any measurable product, I'm not sure. I wouldn't necessarily expect a Turaga to be any better at beating a test of logic than they were as a Toa, or as a Matoran.

As for the other point, I think we should throw out the idea of balancing different species. In a one-on-one fight between a Toa and a Matoran, the Toa would win, no question. (Toa Nuva vs Voyatoran doesn't quite count, since the Toa were unwilling to hurt the Matoran.) Matoran have some advantages Toa don't, but in the majority of situations Toa will always beat Matoran. And that's not even getting into things like Makuta that could defeat Toa as easily as Toa defeat Matoran.

But that's not a problem. Some players might enjoy the difficulty of going as a Matoran on a team of stronger characters such as Toa. Or the Storyteller could simply require all players to be Matoran, and present them with appropriate challenges. There's no good reason to sacrifice plausibility to give a Matoran fair odds against a Toa.

I simply didn't know Turaga were stronger than Matoran. As for intelligence, I'm not sure that becoming a Turaga improves your mental faculties. I think it's more that being a Turaga allows you to develop your wisdom in a way that you wouldn't as a Toa or a Matoran. Whether this would translate to any measurable product, I'm not sure. I wouldn't necessarily expect a Turaga to be any better at beating a test of logic than they were as a Toa, or as a Matoran.

Well This is speculation on the part that Turaga have already gone through so much to become what they are. Physically speaking I'd say they were just because they were Toa and still retain a small part of that power allowing them to use "powered" masks; abet at a weaker level. So experience is their teacher. Are Turaga all smarter than Toa in general? No, maybe not as there could be a very intelligent Toa either from age or even mask power and a really dumb Turaga just the same. The logic test would be easier for a Turaga because of the fact alone that they were already Matoran and Toa. They have the wisdom that comes from their past incarnations and the experience they had. Turaga are expected to be wise, thus their old-monk style depiction. In a table top style strategy I think that would either increase their intelligence or at the very least keep it at Toa level. That or get some form of bonus roll to intelligence or logic when required.

As for the other point, I think we should throw out the idea of balancing different species. In a one-on-one fight between a Toa and a Matoran, the Toa would win, no question. (Toa Nuva vs Voyatoran doesn't quite count, since the Toa were unwilling to hurt the Matoran.) Matoran have some advantages Toa don't, but in the majority of situations Toa will always beat Matoran. And that's not even getting into things like Makuta that could defeat Toa as easily as Toa defeat Matoran.

I think of it more like say Dwarf vs Elf in the form of races. Either one could win against each other or an enemy unit, say Orc. Dwarves have more stamina or resilience where an Elf has a greater magic pool yet physically may not be able to take the extended punishment a Dwarf could.

I wasn't talking so much odds or even being able to beat another race in-game. What I was referring to is the plausibility that while it is perceived any Toa would decimate a Matoran in 1-1 battle the idea is that while difficult a Matoran character should still have a way to win. Maybe an accuracy or will penalty to Toa when facing Matoran even more so if from the same tribe due to a Toa's natural distain for openly fighting a Matoran. Not saying Flip a coin, heads Toa wins, Tails Matoran wins. More along the line of say 3-1 tails before a Matoran could win mechanic. This doesn't also fall under Matoran VS Toa, but also VS any opponent such as the most common Rahi. Matoran are not helpless and not having ample bonuses to something...

But that's not a problem. Some players might enjoy the difficulty of going as a Matoran on a team of stronger characters such as Toa. Or the Storyteller could simply require all players to be Matoran, and present them with appropriate challenges. There's no good reason to sacrifice plausibility to give a Matoran fair odds against a Toa.

Well The idea that the "Game Master" would have to force the players to be/start as Matoran or maybe they would never be played. Agreed players may enjoy the challenge of going through the game as a Matoran or Turaga. I am one of them myself. I don't want to be forced to be a Toa just to get past an enemy or challenge. I'm talking of a plausibility outcome. Saying there is no way a Matoran or maybe more than one could ever beat a Toa or Rahi is against the Plausibility of not only the Bionicle story but the concept of table top games or RPGs as a whole. There is a quote I kept seeing about Matoran not requiring a Toa to be heros and defend their homes... or something along them lines.

Just suggesting this not be overlooked as unless all players have to start out as Matoran and be able to upgrade later to Toa and are rewarded with the Turaga form at the end of the game. Thus working with the story idea that a Toa can become a Turaga after completing their destiny. But they don't have to. This needs to be checked very carefully based on how you want the game to feel to the player(s).

Onua.png

Yeah... exactly. Can't always wait for that Toa to show up to beat this Rahi, though one would make it all the easier. Same with any combat or environmental interaction. It may be harder for some but not impossible. Not this early in the game's creation anyway.

Onua.png

Hmm, I think the problem is that Turaga aren't more intelligent than Toa, but more experienced, wise and mature. All three of those are character traits that don't really tie into our stat system.

As for a penalty to Toa fighting Matoran of their own tribe, that seems like leaning too heavily on stats to do what character and story could do more efficiently. What if the Toa hates their tribe? What if they know the Matoran is really evil? What if it's not a Matoran at all, but a Vortixx they were once close friends with? I think that if a character would reasonably hesitate to attack someone, it's their player's responsibility to make them hesitate.

Well that's true too. I didn't really think of that.

Onua.png