Bionicle broken joints

This is slightly disgusting, but I used to get a little bit of saliva on my fingertips and work the joint around until the actual socket was well-lubricated. It'd still sometimes snap, but half of the lime joints made it through intact whereas they all broke if I didn't make the attempt at easing them out.

I don't really build in lime that much any more, which is the only reason that I stopped using this.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

The only cracked Bionicle parts I have aren't from Bionicle sets. They're the Glatorian heads being used in 2012 HF sets. :P Anyway, my only advice is to be very careful when taking the heads off the torsos, or else you might crack them. And if you're not careful, those cracks can lead to snaps and the head may become useless.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I put the joint-parts in my hand, use my thumb and index fingers to pinch the sides, and then pull. Most of the time I take a deep breath and hope for the best.

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

Best line in film history

"We have an old saying too, Georgi - and you're full of it."

All you need to know about me:

• Lifetime Bionicle fan
  • Loves Bionicle, HATES Hero Factory

I like the idea of squeezing on the side (I actually do that to increase the longevity of my parts), however, when I was younger, I popped those joints around like crazy, and as a result, I have a load of broken joints. Does anyone know any ways to reinforce the joints to stop breakage entirely? As previously mentioned by me, I said coating the joints in a clear, semi flexible epoxy could possibly do the trick. Anyone got any ideas on this? Also, I would love to see what the taped joints look like, so if you have any pics, I would like to see them.

Edited by Cap'n Shirley J. Puma

db76a003-790e-461b-a18a-fa88a856ee11_zps

Check out my reinforced double ball cup!

every bionicle set i have has broken joints face palm

There might be a problem. And it's probably not Lego's :P

It definitely is LEGO's problem. A problem with their plastic quality that they obviously can't address properly. When HF 2.0 brought new part, I thought they had fixed the breaking problem. Now, 3 years later, I see that I was wrong.

When parts break even though a set has been left on display, the problem is with the production company.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

It definitely is LEGO's problem. A problem with their plastic quality that they obviously can't address properly. When HF 2.0 brought new part, I thought they had fixed the breaking problem. Now, 3 years later, I see that I was wrong.

When parts break even though a set has been left on display, the problem is with the production company.

HF joints are braking? I have a Fire Lord & Scorpio from 2011 and none of their joints have cracked? Other than the (bad-choice-to-use-on-the-otherwise-wonderful-2012-Breakout-sets) Glatorian heads, I've never had any problem with joints cracking... interesting.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

What do you mean, "I see that I was wrong"? I have heard accounts of Hero Factory parts breaking. But for the most part, they've been isolated to a few individuals—the vast majority still report no such problems. I'm not sure what sort of environmental issues might be precipitating mass joint breakage for those few fans (and not for lack of trying to discover the cause), but the fact that no such problem has appeared for pretty much everyone else, and that I've still seen scant pictorial evidence of such a thing occurring even from those who do report it, suggests that the issue is no longer endemic the way it was in Bionicle's heyday. Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I haven't done anything to help mine. Rest in peace, lime green Hahli Mahri limbs...

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

What do you mean, "I see that I was wrong"? I have heard accounts of Hero Factory parts breaking. But for the most part, they've been isolated to a few individuals—the vast majority still report no such problems. I'm not sure what sort of environmental issues might be precipitating mass joint breakage for those few fans (and not for lack of trying to discover the cause), but the fact that no such problem has appeared for pretty much everyone else, and that I've still seen scant pictorial evidence of such a thing occurring even from those who do report it, suggests that the issue is no longer endemic the way it was in Bionicle's heyday.

I'm starting to see fractures in Fire Lord's joints. I'd get new ones but LEGO can't supply them. I already got replacements for Furno 2.0 who had several bad parts and Evo 2.0's hand.

It may not be as big a problem, but it's still a problem.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

I haven't done anything to help mine. Rest in peace, lime green Hahli Mahri limbs...

2007 lime green was the worst! ;o;

(a shame since Hahli Mahri is beautiful. :c )

Lewa Phantoka's were not any better. One of Tanma's legs broke for me- and I mean one side of the socket was just totally gone.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Lewa Phantoka's were not any better. One of Tanma's legs broke for me- and I mean one side of the socket was just totally gone.

ALL of my Tanma Limbs split wide open like that,

i think it was faulty lime joints meeting faulty new joints and making the worst possible joints you could fathom!

(and of course, on the year where every green is lime.)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

You know, I've been experimenting on some pieces using epoxy putty, and I may finally have a sort of solution! Unfortunately, I don't think I can do it on pre-2008 limbs due to the slight differences in the sockets, but I will try! I also like the idea of hot glue since it is semi flexible, so I will have to investigate that, and I'm kind of angry that I didn't think of that myself! I guess only time will tell (literally, since I have to wait for the epoxy to set), but I will keep you all updated!

You know, I've been experimenting on some pieces using epoxy putty, and I may finally have a sort of solution! Unfortunately, I don't think I can do it on pre-2008 limbs due to the slight differences in the sockets, but I will try! I also like the idea of hot glue since it is semi flexible, so I will have to investigate that, and I'm kind of angry that I didn't think of that myself! I guess only time will tell (literally, since I have to wait for the epoxy to set), but I will keep you all updated!

I'm warning you, it works, but it's VERY difficult, and it works only with joints, not tools (sadly, since the handle on my Phantoka Lewa sword broke the other day) and you need to use a toothpick as the brush, and use a little bit, since it looks terrible if you use too much

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

FatherlyDismalIberianmidwifetoad.gif

I will have to keep this in mind. However, not trying to be off topic, but as far as your Lewa's sword goes, if you still have the handle, you could use modeling cement on it, however that would make it more delicate. If not, you could use lego's part replacement system, but the piece may not be in production, so the only solution would be bricklink. I suppose this can also go for the joints, too, but I would rather just reinforce them, because no matter how many times you buy new joints, they can still always break.

Gaaaahhhh! The hot glue kind of works, but it will still fracture with the joint. I am beginning to think there are only a few options left now. First, there is still semi-flexible epoxy, which I am seriously considering now. Next, there is just dealing with the fractures. Third, there is 3-d printing the piece in a reinforced way, but I have no idea on how to make a render model for 3-d printing, so that's beyond me. Looks like it may come to semi-flexible epoxy!

Come to think of it... Does anyone know exactly when the breaky-joints started appearing? From what I've heard it started in 2006 and got worse in 08/09. And people keep mentioning lime green joints. Was that part color the one most prone to breaking, or was it just the same as the other parts from those years?

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I had issues with this part breaking as soon as it was first introduced in 2005. But the first issues with all ball cups breaking was with the Bright Yellowish Green sockets in 2007, and the issue only became more widespread with the redesign of all socket pieces in 2008. Thankfully the most recent redesign of the ball cup in 2011 seems to have mostly resolved this issue, and joints breaking has returned to being an extremely rare occurrence like it was in 2001–2004.

I had issues with this part breaking as soon as it was first introduced in 2005. But the first issues with all ball cups breaking was with the Bright Yellowish Green sockets in 2007, and the issue only became more widespread with the redesign of all socket pieces in 2008. Thankfully the most recent redesign of the ball cup in 2011 seems to have mostly resolved this issue, and joints breaking has returned to being an extremely rare occurrence like it was in 2001–2004.

I'm guessing only the ball sockets broke, never the actual ball connections? Also, do you have any info on how exactly the joints changed? Did the 2008 sockets get smaller or did the balls get bigger? I know it is safe to attatch a CCBS ball socket to an old 01-04 ball connection without fear of either breaking, but is it safe to attatch an 01-04 socket to a new ball connection? Because I'm afraid the CCBS ball might be too big for the 01-04 socket...

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Come to think of it... Does anyone know exactly when the breaky-joints started appearing? From what I've heard it started in 2006 and got worse in 08/09. And people keep mentioning lime green joints. Was that part color the one most prone to breaking, or was it just the same as the other parts from those years?

I had a few cracks in 2006, but only one complete break. In 2007, I had a bunch of broken lime green joints and maybe a few other cracks. In 2008, everything became break-happy. I never took apart most of my 2009 sets, so I didn't have any problems with those.

Of note is that before 2008, when pieces cracked it was generally at the "top," i.e. the end of the piece. Starting in 2008, they started cracking where the "prong" of the socket meets the rest of the piece (just above where the plus-rod connection is). These cracks inevitably lead to full breaks.

I actually had joint fractures as early as 2004, but that was exclusively with Bohrok feet in Metru-Nui colors, and even then I think it was limited to dark red and dark green.

Any of the joints from those years were prone to breakage -- especially the redesigned sockets in '08 -- but lime green was by far the worst.

Now that I think of it, I think the brittleness of the redesigned sockets was at least half the reason I stopped buying sets...

Edited by Jacks

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

For me, plenty of my 2001-2003 joints have cracked, but I used to play pretty rough with my Bionicles, which might explain it. I didn't have any more broken limbs until 2007 where I had problems with Hahli Mahri. I didn't break any in 2008, but I barely touched the sets that year. In 2009, both of Mata Nui's hands broke beyond repair, and I can't really touch him or Gelu until I bricklink replacements. The weird thing is that I've always been really nice with them and haven't really played too hard with them.