Bionicle Style Guide

Torsti

can I have the rahkshi turahk :begging: :begging: :begging: :begging: please????

Why don't you just get one online? I'm sure there are plenty of people who own one that wasn't given to them as a special gift from the LEGO Group. Bricklink even has some used copies on sale for less than $4 apiece!

I wasn't the one who asked and I have a Turahk, but how much is shipping on Bricklink?

Go onto the store you want to buy it from, click "Store terms" and the seller should tell you about shipping costs.

can I have the rahkshi turahk :begging: :begging: :begging: :begging: please????

Why don't you just get one online? I'm sure there are plenty of people who own one that wasn't given to them as a special gift from the LEGO Group. Bricklink even has some used copies on sale for less than $4 apiece!

I wasn't the one who asked and I have a Turahk, but how much is shipping on Bricklink?

Go onto the store you want to buy it from, click "Store terms" and the seller should tell you about shipping costs.
Thanks!:)

Hey guys

Ok, now I have a couple of .iso files of the cd's. I just need to find a way to get it to you guys. Any suggestions. Cd 1 is around 500MB and cd 2 is almost 700MB. 

They contain roughly the same info as in the guide binder it self, but there are some nice things in there. Such as an intro and graphic flash menu's. There is a downloadable Bionicle font, character info and pictures from 2001 to 2003 along with logos and graphics. The most interesting thing I found though is the last tab, marketing info. It only says "coming soon.." when you activate it. This suggests a newer version of the guide having been made or a marketing suppliment to mine.

But let me know if you are interested in seeing this for your selves (;)) and how I should get these to you.

Cheers

Torsti

Edited by Torsti
  • Upvote 5

Hey guys

Ok, now I have a couple of .iso files of the cd's. I just need to find a way to get it to you guys. Any suggestions. Cd 1 is around 500MB and cd 2 is almost 700MB. 

They contain roughly the same info as in the guide binder it self, but there are some nice things in there. Such as an intro and graphic flash menu's. There is a downloadable Bionicle font, character info and pictures from 2001 to 2003 along with logos and graphics. The most interesting thing I found though is the last tab, marketing info. It only says "coming soon.." when you activate it. This suggests a newer version of the guide having been made or a marketing suppliment to mine.

But let me know if you are interested in seeing this for your selves ( ;)) and how I should get these to you.

Cheers

Torsti

I'd recommend using Mega.

Edited by JrMasterModelBuilder

Are signatures still a thing?

I'd certainly be interested in taking a look at the CD contents -- especially when I'm not exactly clear on what the entirety of the binder contains.  Mega.co.nz is best for large files like JMMB suggested, but Google Drive can also come in handy if you have a gmail account.

[EDIT] And if I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that the vast majority of the contents are pictures, no?  Is the synopsis included?

Edited by TehBestMemberEvar!1

Just downloaded and took a look at CD 1. It looks like there's some really cool stuff there as far as how Lego perceived it's own product line and how they presented it to new members of the team. I may be the only one, but I also thought the legal stuff as far as trademarks and logos was interesting as far as how specific it is and the importance of consistency.

The best thing I think was that there were the downloadable images. I'm not sure if I've even seen all of them before, but some of them were only pictured small on boxes or instructions as far as I know and it's really cool to be able to see them in higher resolution and without text overlay on some of them.

I'll look at CD 2 later. And as a sidenote for people not familiar with .iso files. It is a disc image which can be mounted on a virtual drive to be viewed just like a physical CD you put in your computer.

A Turaga

You are a very wise Turaga.

Ultimate Bionicle Knowledge Quiz

Hey guys

I will slowly work on documenting the whole main guide binder and make a PDF for you to download including the synopsis. The guide is over 60 pages, so please be patient.

More good news also; my video ripping friend is coming back next week and ready and able to rip the VHS. How would you guys want it? A youtube video or a mega download or something else?

Cheers

Torsti

• Upvote 4

I think a Mega download would be better than YouTube. When you upload a video to YouTube, YouTube automatically compresses the video so that there is less detail (VHS isn't very high-quality in the first place, so it wouldn't look very good at all on YouTube).

Thanks for sharing all this material with us!

• Upvote 3

I'll look at CD 2 later. And as a sidenote for people not familiar with .iso files. It is a disc image which can be mounted on a virtual drive to be viewed just like a physical CD you put in your computer.

For those using old versions of Windows (pre-Windows 8), you can extract them with 7-Zip or mount them with a image mounting program. Mac and Linux have had this functionallity for a long time.

Anyone know how a Mac could view these CDs properly? I'm just going through the raw files.

Once I get them downloaded, I'll see if this is possible.

I think a Mega download would be better than YouTube. When you upload a video to YouTube, YouTube automatically compresses the video so that there is less detail (VHS isn't very high-quality in the first place, so it wouldn't look very good at all on YouTube).

Thanks for sharing all this material with us!

I second this!

Torsti, you're my hero. :P The CD has the gosh darn PSD files that the BIONICLE promotional imagery 2001-03 was drawn from! That's so ridiculously awesome, I don't even know what to say. I never would have imagined we might be able to see this someday.

Thanks again!

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Anyone know how a Mac could view these CDs properly? I'm just going through the raw files.

The executables are the old Mac Preferred Exutable Format from way back. Snow Leopard with Roseta might be able to run them. Not sure. It's all Shockwave based. I'll see if I can extract the main Shockwave movie out of it and run it outside.

Strange that there only seems to be Mac executables with no Windows ones. Torsti, are the CD's you have possibly hybrid CD's? A CD with 2 different partitions, one for Mac, one for Windows?

UPDATE: The contents of these CD's are incredible! Perfect, uncompressed source media including original vector art!

I take back what I said before, there are Windows executables. For some reason, I wasn't seeing them. Investigating.

Strange that there only seems to be Mac executables with no Windows ones. Torsti, are the CD's you have possibly hybrid CD's? A CD with 2 different partitions, one for Mac, one for Windows?

The executables are the old Mac Preferred Exutable Format from way back. Snow Leopard with Roseta might be able to run them. Not sure. It's all Shockwave based. I'll see if I can extract the main Shockwave movie out of it and run it outside.

Hey JrMasterModelBulder

I am not sure about this. It does not say on the cd's. I ripped them on a Windows machine. How can I tell?? I have access to to both PC and Mac machines; it just so happened I was working on a PC today. I can pop them into a mac tomorrow and see..

Cheerios

torsti

Hey JrMasterModelBulder

I am not sure about this. It does not say on the cd's. I ripped them on a Windows machine. How can I tell?? I have access to to both PC and Mac machines; it just so happened I was working on a PC today. I can pop them into a mac tomorrow and see..

Cheerios

torsti

Don't bother. The images actually have both Windows and Mac formats in them, and seem to work on both platforms. I currently trying to analyse how this works.

The ISO images seem to have at one point been viewable on Macs through the Classic Environment, though this has been disabled in newer versions of OSX, unfortunately...

Interestingly enough, I'm able to open the CDs through Wine, and some music plays, but I assume Wine can't process all the different Macromedia files ( the .x32 files, under "Xtras").

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

The ISO images seem to have at one point been viewable on Macs through the Classic Environment, though this has been disabled in newer versions of OSX, unfortunately...

Interestingly enough, I'm able to open the CDs through Wine, and some music plays, but I assume Wine can't process all the different Macromedia files ( the .x32 files, under "Xtras").

Technically, I think they ran natively on OSX at the time it was produced, back when OSX used IBM processors. OSX had a built-in PowerPC emulator called Rosetta to ease the transition to Intel processors, but they dropped that with 10.7 Lion. 10.6 Snow Leopard would be the last version of OSX that might be able to run these. A Windows VM is probably easier though. Shockwave was never very stable, I'm not surprised Wine can't run it very well.

I downloaded CD 1 without any issue, but I'm trying to download CD 2 and it's saying "Your available browser storage for MEGA cannot handle this download size, please free up some disk space."  Any idea how I can fix that?

EDIT: It seems to be working fine now, oddly.

Edited by Toa of the Blazing Inferno

Yeah, it's too bad the Classic Environment was dropped. A lot of old games I had as a kid are useless now.

JMMB - Are you able to view the CDs as they were intended? Is there any music to be heard at all?

There is an ambiance loop that plays while the CD is running. A drone with a few different sounds interspersed throughout, a bit like a simplified version of the telescope music in MNOG.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Hey JrMasterModelBulder

Respect to you. It seem you have this under control. Keep up the good work.

I am doing this basically because I know the passion of collecting things from a wonderful fictional world. I have something special that you guys want and I gladly share it. I myself collect vintage Star Wars toys and it's hard to think of a comparable thing that would be revealed now in that world, and how my s*** would flip... so heads up for good vintage 1977 to 1985 SW for me if you got it ;)

Now I will focus on the VHS and the guide pdf. They will be up as soon as possible.

Cher in autotune..

Torsti

Edit: Hasreadit: Yes, it is a wonderful place to work at. 

Edited by Torsti
  • Upvote 3

Now I will focus on the VHS and the guide pdf. They will be up as soon as possible.

You are fantastic!  I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the work you're putting into this. :)

Now I just need that Saffire programmer to find that build of the game he had stored away, and my BIONICLE life will be complete. :P

Now that you mention it. I am putting a lot of work into this. I will give you the whole thing for free, no matter what.

It's just because my girlfriend suggested that I could possibly profit from "all those Bionicle nerds" :D ...Personally I don't need anything from you guys, exept perhaps some Star Wars stuff if you have it. But your thanks and compliments are more than enough for me. BUT! If you are feeling generous, then please donate something to your local homeless shelter or a cancer fund of your choice in thanks to me giving you all this. The more donations you give (I am taking this on a gentleman's promise) the faster I will deliver the VHS content.

Don't feel bad if you can't donate. I will deliver the goods anyway.

Cheers

Torsti

Edited by Torsti
  • Upvote 4

I'd be happy to donate to a charity for the cause -- although I regularly give to a local charity (that helps feed those in need), and cannot in good faith say I wouldn't already be giving money to them anyway, so ...

... let's make it a theme!  Since you've been sharing BIONICLE related things with us, I will be donating some BIONICLE-related things that I have to a local charity that employs those with mental/physical/circumstantial disabilities.

I have a box of BIONICLE books.  Guidebooks, young readers, chapter books, and comics.  (I used to get everything in double, as I have debilitating OCD, and have had them in storage for years, but I suppose progress has to happen sooner or later ...)  I also have two BIONICLE t-shirts that are much too small for me that I'm willing to part with.  I'll let you know when it's done, and what they value it at on the receipt. :)

I'd be happy to donate to a charity for the cause -- although I regularly give to a local charity (that helps feed those in need), and cannot in good faith say I wouldn't already be giving money to them anyway, so ...

... let's make it a theme!  Since you've been sharing BIONICLE related things with us, I will be donating some BIONICLE-related things that I have to a local charity that employs those with mental/physical/circumstantial disabilities.

I have a box of BIONICLE books.  Guidebooks, young readers, chapter books, and comics.  (I used to get everything in double, as I have debilitating OCD, and have had them in storage for years, but I suppose progress has to happen sooner or later ...)  I also have two BIONICLE t-shirts that are much too small for me that I'm willing to part with.  I'll let you know when it's done, and what they value it at on the receipt. :)

Hey TehBestMemberEvar!1

Super effing cool! You are amazing. Now let's get this ball rolling. I really want to give you guys all of this. But can I ask a tiny thing in return?

Keep up the good work TehBestMemberEvar!1 and the rest of you!

Cheers

Torsti

I'm having some trouble getting these running in a virtual machine. I have some ideas as to why and I'll try some more tomorrow, but the menu system can be viewed outside of the included executables.

1. Create a folder named "DSWMEDIA" (necessary to allow the menu to load files).
  2. Copy the entire contents of the CD you want to view into that folder, or a subfolder there of.
  3. Open BIONICLE_CD1.dxr either BIONICLE_CD2.dxr (depending on the CD) in an internet browser (you must have Shockwave Player installed).

Note that the "bionicle intro.mov" won't play, but everything else seems to work (you can play the video ouside the menu in a video player like VLC). I tested this on Firefox on OS X, but should work the same on Windows.

Poking through the layers for the PSD files is slow but interesting! Apparently the "Water is for Wimps" initally said "Water is for Sissies". There are some unused layers and some background compoents that can be seem much more clearly when you peel back the layers. There are also a few images I don't recall seeing before (but maybe I just don't remember). A BIONICLE Matoran font is also included.

Also, I don't know why, but the CD project is internally called "7971 Bionicle Style Guide" (LEGO set 7971 is a 2010 LEGO Racers set). It seems it was also developed by www.redcentral.co.uk.

UPDATE: Added instructions on how to view CD in browser and have images load.

Can I make a vote to put the VHS on YouTube? Downloading huge files is currently a pain. 

Anyway, I don't have a bunch of fancy software to view disk images. If I burned the image to a blank disk, would I be able to see the files? I have interest in those PSDs, and that appears to be the easiest solution. 

Thanks Torsti anyway. You are amazing, seriously.

Can I make a vote to put the VHS on YouTube? Downloading huge files is currently a pain.

If we get the original file, we can upload it to YouTube. I'm sure someone will.

Anyway, I don't have a bunch of fancy software to view disk images. If I burned the image to a blank disk, would I be able to see the files? I have interest in those PSDs, and that appears to be the easiest solution. 

Thanks Torsti anyway. You are amazing, seriously.

I think you would need a program to burn the ISO to a blank CD as a CD (versus creating a data CD with the ISO file on it). But if you have that, they sure. You could also just extract the ISO with 7-Zip, and probably some other programs.

I'm having some trouble getting these running in a virtual machine. I have some ideas as to why and I'll try some more tomorrow, but the menu system can be viewed outside of the included executables.

1. Create a folder named "DSWMEDIA" (necessary to allow the menu to load files).
  2. Copy the entire contents of the CD you want to view into that folder, or a subfolder there of.
  3. Open BIONICLE_CD1.dxr either BIONICLE_CD2.dxr (depending on the CD) in an internet browser (you must have Shockwave Player installed).

Note that the "bionicle intro.mov" won't play, but everything else seems to work (you can play the video ouside the menu in a video player like VLC). I tested this on Firefox on OS X, but should work the same on Windows.

Poking through the layers for the PSD files is slow but interesting! Apparently the "Water is for Wimps" initally said "Water is for Sissies". There are some unused layers and some background compoents that can be seem much more clearly when you peel back the layers. There are also a few images I don't recall seeing before (but maybe I just don't remember). A BIONICLE Matoran font is also included.

Also, I don't know why, but the CD project is internally called "7971 Bionicle Style Guide" (LEGO set 7971 is a 2010 LEGO Racers set). It seems it was also developed by www.redcentral.co.uk.

UPDATE: Added instructions on how to view CD in browser and have images load.

I tried running the dxr file for CD 2 in my Chrome browser on my Windows 7 laptop, but I get a "This application requires an Xtra (QuickTime) that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly.  Please make sure the appropriate Xtras are in the Xtras folder(s)." error.  Then a screen loads with a black background, a red box with an X in it, and a small image of the outside parentheses things of the UDD logo below that.  I also get another error that says "This Shockwave movie has errors that have caused playback problems.  Please contact the author of this content regarding this problem.  Shockwave is unable to continue."  There's background music that plays fine while that second box is up, but once I click ok the music stops and I can't do anything, so I just close the tab.

EDIT: I tried Firefox, Safari, and even Opera, all with the same result.

Edited by Toa of the Blazing Inferno

Thank you for these instructions! Works fine in FIrefox (Chrome doens't seem to work with it, but whatever works...)

Could you try to figure out where the raw audio files for the CD are kept? I've been poking around both CD files for an hour and I just can't figure it out...