2015 LEGO BIONICLE Small Set Size Prototype

Kopekemaster

(I put this here, since I don't see much more of a place that I can put it. Staff, if you see fit to move it, please do so. An impromptu prototype set release isn't something we exactly... have a section for.)

In addition to being god of the known universe (just kidding), I have actually been a intern for The LEGO Group for quite some time, working as a general researcher for statistics pertaining to the sales of sets, as well as consumer-prompted products (such as Ideas).
LEGO had, obviously, seen the call for the return of BIONICLE, and actually began planning its return about a year after its end.
Being in my position in the company (not to mention my interest in BIONICLE as a whole), they provided me with some prototype sets, which I could give them feedback on.
(Bear in mind, from this point on, this is a prototype set, not the final design. Much, or all, could have changed.)
It has now been about a week and a half since LEGO officially announced the return of BIONICLE, and they contacted me the other day, saying that I could release pictures and information about the prototype set that they gave me.
So, with great excitement, I bring to you the "LEGO BIONICLE Small Set Size" prototype (boring name, I know, but I'm not allowed to actually tell you the character's name).

View the whole gallery here once it's visible, or click on each photo below to see the full-size image. (Sorry, I don't know how to rotate the photos in Brickshelf, or if you even can.)

img_0511.jpg_thumb.jpg || img_0512.jpg_thumb.jpg || img_0513.jpg_thumb.jpg || img_0514.jpg_thumb.jpg || img_0515.jpg_thumb.jpg || img_0516.jpg_thumb.jpg || img_0518.jpg_thumb.jpg || img_0519.jpg_thumb.jpg

In the first two photos, I'm just showing the all-around design. In an attempt to give some of the "old feel" of Bionicle back (stylized as BIONICLE, but I'm just going to write it as Bionicle from here out; I like the look better, and being an intern gives me some flexibility with some things).

In the third and fourth photos, I'm showing one of LEGO's new innovations with the joint pieces. Technically, they're called "stress relieving fractures", but basically what they are is just small breaks in the joint that cause them, basically, to not break further.

Personally, I found those nice. Not having to worry about the eventual snap of the joint that slackens the entire appendage. 

The fifth photo is just showing the pieces. I think all of you should recognize at least most of them. You'll notice that the weapon-like thing (technically, it is a "defense tool") is kept intact; this is another new concept that LEGO is introducing with the advent of the "new" Bionicle. Some of the more complex sections of the sets actually come pre-assembled. Obviously, they can be taken apart, but they come pre-built to not confuse younger fans.

The sixth and seventh photos show the general building process - just building the body, then attaching "tools" and such.

The eighth, obviously, is the necessary FACE OFF against a Bohrok*.

Anyway, that's about it! I hope you all enjoyed this special preview into the possibilities of 2015 LEGO BIONICLE sets!

*(This Bohrok is actually a semi-MOC that I've had for... over three years?! Wow. Anyway, you can see it here.)

Whoops, forgot to link the photos. Fixed, now!

yes yes yes this is all a prank i admit it

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 4
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

So... an asymetric avtoran with broken joints and the stupidest looking weapons I have ever seen?

Not to mention wide spread knowledge of the leaked sets, this is a really poor fake. Mixing avtoran parts with ccbs may have made it more convincing, but your trolling efforts are pretty fruitless.

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

This kind of trolling is really uncalled for. Yes, many of us know about the leaks, and know how fake this all is—but there are a lot of members anxiously awaiting Bionicle news, including new members who haven't yet learned how to separate fact from bull, and you're willingly misleading them just to have a laugh at their expense. I just don't see the humor in that, sorry.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wow.

(props to the post a few posts above this, though, that actually somewhat caught onto the humour of it)

Honestly, I would've thought that you would've been able to discern what I was really doing here. (Especially because the "sets" were just so horrendous, I can't imagine anyone really would've thought that they were real, not to mention that they don't contain any pieces made post-2009 or something.)

Truthfully, this should really be in the "Comedies" section, or, if we had it, the "Satires" section.

Just to clarify, this was not "trolling".

Trolling is to "make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them."

In the basest sense, sure, it was a prank. But not the kind that anyone would believe after seeing about one sentence of the post.

And that's about it! I hope you all, armed with this guide of what I was meaning in making this, can understand and enjoy it more.

Once you get past the prank "skin", though, you find biting wit! Satire! A derision matching that of the honourable Jonathan Swift!

Okay, maybe not quite.

But it's satire. Let me show you.

From the start,

In addition to being god of the known universe

This is a link to the BZP Chronicles, which is a satire about BZPower, and the Bionicle community in general. That I even linked to it from here is a flag in and of itself. A small one, but one nonetheless.

I bring to you the "LEGO BIONICLE Small Set Size" prototype

This is just regular humour. Pretty obvious.

Here's where things pick up a bit.

In the first two photos, I'm just showing the all-around design. In an attempt to give some of the "old feel" of Bionicle back (stylized as BIONICLE, but I'm just going to write it as Bionicle from here out; I like the look better, and being an intern gives me some flexibility with some things).

"Old feel"? The avtoran build was pioneered in '08, after seven years of Bionicle. Hardly "old feel". The "stylized as BIONICLE" thing just kind of jabs at legalism in general.

In the third and fourth photos, I'm showing one of LEGO's new innovations with the joint pieces. Technically, they're called "stress relieving fractures", but basically what they are is just small breaks in the joint that cause them, basically, to not break further.

Must I really say anything? Probably not, but this is satirizing the horrendousness of the quick-to-break pieces that we had on many occasions, and a humourous solution to it.

The fifth photo is just showing the pieces. I think all of you should recognize at least most of them. You'll notice that the weapon-like thing (technically, it is a "defense tool") is kept intact; this is another new concept that LEGO is introducing with the advent of the "new" Bionicle. Some of the more complex sections of the sets actually come pre-assembled. Obviously, they can be taken apart, but they come pre-built to not confuse younger fans.

In the first part, I'm envisioning what a weapons-free Bionicle world would look like (among other things).

The second part is, obviously, taking a jab at (yes, I know some of you don't see it this way) how I see LEGO simplifying things. Having pre-assembled parts goes somewhat against LEGO's core idea.

Also, hehe, yeah, being an intern at LEGO is stretching it a bit. (Although, ironically, I am an intern at another well-known Europe-based company, doing research.)

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)