Opinion of Possible Return of Bionicle Serials

Opinions on Serials  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Note: Since this question is about web serials themselves and not the story, I believe it belongs in this Forum. But feel free to move it if I'm wrong, Staff. :P

Well, this topic asks three questions. Do you want web serials to return in Bionicle 2015? If so, how many? And what kind of stories do you want them to tell?

To answer them myself, I would web serials to return, but only if they are planned out in advance. I believe the 'make the story up as you go' approach at writing is what led to the original Bionicle serial's downfall. I would like for their to be at least two serials, maybe three if it could be done. And I would like for their to be serials that are both connected and independent from the main story. One or two of the serials could just be stories about 2015 characters and have anything to do with the main story, so that fans can read them for entertainment but not be required to read them to keep up with the story. But I also wouldn't mind seeing at least one serial that was involved in the main storyline. 

But what do you guys say on this?

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I would love the serials to return, but in somewhat of a different way.

Instead of them telling somewhat more side-stories, have them be more focused on the direct story - explore more side-story things and interesting stuff then, say, a comic would, but have them be a bit more grounded to the main story (and, therefore, have them be actually planned out).

So, more like the material of the actual books, but as serials, and on the site. I'd like that. Of course, I wouldn't mind some stories that aren't grounded on the main story, but, as TSM said, still planned out.

(The only reason I didn't choose "Yes, but only if..." is that between a choice of No Serials and Serials that aren't planned out, I would still choose the latter.)

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I would really like serials to return, but only if they tell relevant stories and are planned in advance. Something like Dark Mirror (not exactly like it) that shows what a character was doing in between major appearances. That was one problem with Federation of Fear. It was just a conglomeration of random characters thrust together on a whim on an adventure that didn't matter at all to canon.

I voted "I'm not sure", which in turn restricted my selections for the second two questions despite me having pretty strong opinions on some of them.

Firstly, the reason I don't know if there should be web serials is that I don't know for certain what form Bionicle's main story will take. If there's not comics, chapter books, or a TV series, then there would basically HAVE to be some online form of telling the story. But otherwise serials could be problematic and distract from the main story, so they'd have to be approached with caution.

If there were serials, then I think they'd only work two different ways. The first would be if they tell the main story—if that were the case, then there should be only one serial in order to do so, so as not to confuse new readers or fracture the flow of the story into multiple through-lines. Bionicle's system of serials could be a mess, ESPECIALLY when the stories they told crossed over with each other or with the main story.

If there are serials that tell side-stories, then they should not be necessary for understanding the main story and should be mostly independent of it. They could still feature the main characters, but they could only really do so with independent, episodic adventures. One example of how this could be done is with a 2001-esque mask quest. If there were that many masks to collect, then serials could be used to tell how some of those individual masks were obtained—but you wouldn't need to know specifically how the Toa obtained each one once the story moved on to a point where they had all been obtained. The individual serials, in other words, would only provide more detail for the people who wanted it but would be inessential if someone missed a chapter or had a lot of main story content to catch up on. If those kinds of stories were told with the serials (and there was a compelling and accessible main story told through other media), then it'd be possible to have multiple serials running at a time, perhaps each one focusing on different characters.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I was never too big of a fan of the serials. I would personally prefer them to not come back so more attention could be placed into the main plot. However, if we were going to get them, I think I would want them to be independent stories, that way people who don't read them don't get confused when their plots connect with the main story.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I'd love it if serials returned, but they need to be planned out in advance. I would also want them to be related to the main story while also being independent, if at all possible. Perhaps one of the main characters could have some sort of side quest that they need to undertake at the same time that the main story is taking place.

I would enjoy the serials coming back, but only if they were planned out in advance.

Whether it is connected to the main story or not doesn't bother me. There were serials based on minor characters such as Lesovikk/Karzahni and Tarduk that had promise. So if they are based on characters not being commonly used, that'd be okay with me.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

Do it, but plan it out first so we don't end up with unfinished material like in 2010. 

Make them side-stories and not related to the main plot. I did like how Greg went ham on some of em and that made them extra fun but some just got too convoluted or felt like were going nowhere fast. At times like those, I am glad they were not part of the main story.

Two per year/half a year sounds fine. That's sustainable.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg