Goodbye Mata Nui, Meet Okoto

So what will happen to the unfinished serials in regards to 2015's storyline? Can they not be finished now?

I have not been asked to do that, for reasons that I think will become clear after NYCC.

As far as I know, that's the only hard evidence in favor of a story reboot, albeit quite substantial. I don't think that Greg is allowed to confirm particulars, so I don't think he would have given any more specific information (though as answers on Bionicle 2015 go, this is pretty specific.)

If that doesn't indicate a reboot, I'm not sure what it does.

Actually, that's a strong evidence for a continuation which cans/retcons the serial plot. 

What's more compelling is the questions that refer to the "old universe". Like this one: https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/11223897/highlight/true#M252710

So what will happen to the unfinished serials in regards to 2015's storyline? Can they not be finished now?

I have not been asked to do that, for reasons that I think will become clear after NYCC.

As far as I know, that's the only hard evidence in favor of a story reboot, albeit quite substantial. I don't think that Greg is allowed to confirm particulars, so I don't think he would have given any more specific information (though as answers on Bionicle 2015 go, this is pretty specific.)

Actually, that's a strong evidence for a continuation which cans/retcons the serial plot. 

What's more compelling is the questions that refer to the "old universe". Like this one: https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/11223897/highlight/true#M252710

He's also tried multiple times to justify a reboot as being the right way to do things in responses, so I'm betting that this response isn't any different. :P I honestly don't see anything from Greg pointing towards a continuation.

Bliss.png

He's also tried multiple times to justify a reboot as being the right way to do things in responses, so I'm betting that this response isn't any different. :P I honestly don't see anything from Greg pointing towards a continuation.

If it is a reboot, whether or not Greg continues the serials is irrelevant. The producers at Lego would probably have given Greg a free pass to finish them, since fans want to see them finished, or just not cared. 

If a continuation is coming with serial retcons, however, they would have told him not to bother if they were just going to can it anyway. 

If it is a reboot, whether or not Greg continues the serials is irrelevant. The producers at Lego would probably have given Greg a free pass to finish them, since fans want to see them finished, or just not cared.

I don't see why that's the case. BIONICLE's story is a major element of the theme. LEGO would likely not want new fans of the franchise to be confused by a story chronicling events and characters with little or no relation to the current state of BIONICLE. Imagine being a seven year-old in 2015, with no inkling of the original story, going to the BIONICLE website and seeing "The Powers That Be" or "The Yesterday Quest."  You'd assume that the events of those serials took place in the same continuity as the events on Okoto. You'd be quite puzzled, to say the least.

If a continuation is coming with serial retcons, however, they would have told him not to bother if they were just going to can it anyway.

What would need to be retconned? The post-Journey's End serials never actually got past their potentially game-changing cliff-hangers. Marendar, Mavrah's presence aboard the Red Star, Velika's plans for conquest; these could all be made to fit into the background of a continuation of the story, I think, simply with less importance than they might have otherwise had. It's not as if the story serials were of ever any great consequence to the main story, anyway.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I don't see why that's the case. BIONICLE's story is a major element of the theme. LEGO would likely not want new fans of the franchise to be confused by a story chronicling events and characters with little or no relation to the current state of BIONICLE. Imagine being a seven year-old in 2015, with no inkling of the original story, going to the BIONICLE website and seeing "The Powers That Be" or "The Yesterday Quest."  You'd assume that the events of those serials took place in the same continuity as the events on Okoto. You'd be quite puzzled, to say the least.

Nobody said that they had to be on Bionicle.com where the young fans could see them. They could just give him a pass to put them on BS01 or something, or even the LMB. Nobody said they had to be prominent.  

What would need to be retconned? The post-Journey's End serials never actually got past their potentially game-changing cliff-hangers. Marendar, Mavrah's presence aboard the Red Star, Velika's plans for conquest; these could all be made to fit into the background of a continuation of the story, I think, simply with less importance than they might have otherwise had. It's not as if the story serials were of ever any great consequence to the main story, anyway.

Probably Velika's ruling plans, for one thing - he would be out to make way for the new villain(s). Continuing those plot points would just bog the new story down with additional baggage and create the backstory problems a lot of people brought up.

I'm going to have to agree with Quisoves here. I think, Fishers, you're interpreting Greg's quote as saying "I have been asked not to do that" instead of "I have not been asked to do that". You're right that if it's a reboot nobody in the story team would care whether Greg would finish the serials or not (as long as he doesn't do it in the faces of new fans who might get confused and turn away from BIONICLE), but that is exactly why they wouldn't bother asking Greg to continue doing the serials. If they had actually asked him not to do it, it would be likely they wouldn't want him to create content that would only be canon for a short while and then be retconned, basically only serving to tick the old fans off. But they didn't ask him not to do it, they didn't ask him anything. As far as I know, Greg is technically allowed to continue the serials if he wants to, he was allowed to do so in 2010 when he wrote the last few chapters he wrote after Journey's End and TLG never told him he had to stop. He just got busy with his actual job (writing for Ninjago and Hero Factory etc.) and his personal life, and now he's not really "in" the story anymore so it'll be difficult for him to pick up where he left.

The sentence Irafa found on the official site further indicates a reboot. If you change one word ("Okoto" into "Mata Nui") you get a description of 2001. That's doesn't change the fact that it's still extremely vague of course, Okoto could easily be an island on Spherus Magna and whoever the elemental heroes are might have ended up there at some point in the future, but it's still evidence for a reboot.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to have to agree with Quisoves here. I think, Fishers, you're interpreting Greg's quote as saying "I have been asked not to do that" instead of "I have not been asked to do that". You're right that if it's a reboot nobody in the story team would care whether Greg would finish the serials or not (as long as he doesn't do it in the faces of new fans who might get confused and turn away from BIONICLE), but that is exactly why they wouldn't bother asking Greg to continue doing the serials. If they had actually asked him not to do it, it would be likely they wouldn't want him to create content that would only be canon for a short while and then be retconned, basically only serving to tick the old fans off. But they didn't ask him not to do it, they didn't ask him anything. As far as I know, Greg is technically allowed to continue the serials if he wants to, he was allowed to do so in 2010 when he wrote the last few chapters he wrote after Journey's End and TLG never told him he had to stop. He just got busy with his actual job (writing for Ninjago and Hero Factory etc.) and his personal life, and now he's not really "in" the story anymore so it'll be difficult for him to pick up where he left.

The sentence Irafa found on the official site further indicates a reboot. If you change one word ("Okoto" into "Mata Nui") you get a description of 2001. That's doesn't change the fact that it's still extremely vague of course, Okoto could easily be an island on Spherus Magna and whoever the elemental heroes are might have ended up there at some point in the future, but it's still evidence for a reboot.

Greg has also said that he can only do Bionicle story with permission from Lego. Basically the quote amounts to them not giving him permission. (His orginal permission was revoked when Bioniclestory.com was removed, as far as I know.)

If he were really assertive about finishing them now, it's possible that he could obtain permission, maybe. But for the reasons you cited, he hasn't been active about getting it.

He also implies in that quote that there is a reason why he hasn't got permission which will become clear after NYCC (he would be rejected). 

Edited by fishers64

He also implies in that quote that there is a reason why he hasn't got permission which will become clear after NYCC (he would be rejected).

That's not at all what he seems to be implying to me. He says "They didn't ask me to do it.", not "They don't want me to do it.". Essentially he's saying it's not a part of his job anymore. And even if he would expect the story team to reject his permission, that could also be because the story team wouldn't want any official storyline in the universe of 2001-2010 BIONICLE to continue while they're starting a new universe of BIONICLE canon. That's perfectly reasonable given the fact that they wouldn't want to confuse any new fans. You pointed out earlier that they could let him do it on BS01 or BZP, but you're forgetting that Greg, as an employee at TLG, is not allowed to contact BIONICLE fans outside the official channels since they might be minors. TLG would have to set up some kind of place for the serials to be posted, which is a hassle and it's really unlikely they'd do that for such a small niche of BIONICLE fandom.

• Upvote 1

As far as we know, it technically could be Krakua's island that he is defending.

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

@Thormen/ Quisoves: 

My point is that the serials not continuing is not evidence for a reboot. Here's why - if Lego does a continuation, they have three options: 

1. Resolve the serial plot points in the main story (in which case, they would not want Greg to finish them because it could interfere with their resolution of those points). 

2. Retcon the serials out of canon (in which case, they would not want Greg to finish the serials because it would be a waste of time). 

3. Ignore the serials entirely and tell a completely different story. (in which case, they don't care about the serials one iota and don't ask Greg to finish them.)

With a reboot, they only have option 3 available. In all three of the above scenarios, Greg's serials are not asked to be finished. Options 1 and 2 are not ruled out if the serials are not continuing because all three options result in the same thing - the serials are not continuing, Watson. 

The only reason they would want Greg to finish the serials is if they were doing a direct continuation from 2010 story, and I'm as certain as you are that option is out because of backstory problems. So we are down to options 1,2, and 3, and all end up in the same place, and none can be ruled out at this point. 

@Thormen/ Quisoves: 

My point is that the serials not continuing is not evidence for a reboot. Here's why - if Lego does a continuation, they have three options: 

1. Resolve the serial plot points in the main story (in which case, they would not want Greg to finish them because it could interfere with their resolution of those points). 

2. Retcon the serials out of canon (in which case, they would not want Greg to finish the serials because it would be a waste of time). 

3. Ignore the serials entirely and tell a completely different story. (in which case, they don't care about the serials one iota and don't ask Greg to finish them.)

With a reboot, they only have option 3 available. In all three of the above scenarios, Greg's serials are not asked to be finished. Options 1 and 2 are not ruled out if the serials are not continuing because all three options result in the same thing - the serials are not continuing, Watson. 

The only reason they would want Greg to finish the serials is if they were doing a direct continuation from 2010 story, and I'm as certain as you are that option is out because of backstory problems. So we are down to options 1,2, and 3, and all end up in the same place, and none can be ruled out at this point.

I agree mostly, but I find it highly unlikely they'd go for option #1 or #2 since it's messy (option #1 is going to be very, very difficult to do without either contradicting other parts of the story or confusing new fans and both option #1 and option #2 leave new fans with a lot of back story to catch up to, also confusing them) and option #3 is what I understood the term 'soft reboot' to mean, but I'm getting the idea not everyone agrees on what exactly a 'soft reboot' and a 'hard reboot' is. In any case, I don't think anything can be definitively ruled out, but based on Greg's statement and the sentence Irafa found about Okoto, a reboot seems more likely to me than a continuation.

@Thormen/ Quisoves: 

There is a fourth option: Not resolve the serial plot points in the main story, and let Greg resolve them in new serials. Its not as if the serials ever had that great a bearing on the main story, anyway. You never needed to read them to understand what was going on in the books or comics ("Dreams of Destruction" may be the odd exception, in so much as it resolves Sarda's fate.) Yes, Velika's plans of conquest would be an obstacle to a new official story, but he could easily be killed off. If something went wrong with the explosives he primed...

This is flawed logic. Simply because a thing is a possible cause of something does not mean that it is a probable cause. Options 1 and 2 would lead to the serials not continuing, but then so would Greg Farshtey's death by Komodo Dragon. Under your logic, I can't rule out that he was killed by a Komodo Dragon because that event would result in the serials not continuing.

Options 1 and 2 are highly unlikely, because LEGO would not want to confuse newcomers by incorporating elements from old supplemental materials and because said supplemental materials never continued long enough to create canonical problems for a continuation (unless the new story wants to incorporate Karzahni and Tren Krom.)

Option 3 is a possibility, but Greg's wording suggests that it isn't the case. Greg said that he thought that the reasons for him not continuing the serials would become obvious after NYCC. If Option 3 were true, NYCC's reveal would not be enough to convince fans that the serials couldn't continue. On the contrary, it would probably result in some people coming to the following conclusion: "The new story is a soft reboot, that means that the events of the post-JE serials still happened within its continuity! Caloo, callay, o frabjous day! Quick, Greg, finish them!"

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

Keep in mind that Greg may not want to write the serials in the first place. As far as I can tell, he's too busy to do them, and he would only do them if Lego was paying him to do it. When he says "They haven't asked me to do it" he really means: "I'd only do it if they wanted me to do it and I was being paid for it."

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

There is a fourth option: Not resolve the serial plot points in the main story, and let Greg resolve them in new serials. Its not as if the serials ever had that great a bearing on the main story, anyway. You never needed to read them to understand what was going on in the books or comics ("Dreams of Destruction" may be the odd exception, in so much as it resolves Sarda's fate.) Yes, Velika's plans of conquest would be an obstacle to a new official story, but he could easily be killed off. If something went wrong with the explosives he primed...

In my mind that falls under option #3, really. Greg said his bosses in Billund want his "focus on current lines" so unless the bosses are incorporating serial plot points in the new line, I doubt they will care enough to make Greg finish the serials. In any case, the main story would be ignoring them, hence option three.  

This is flawed logic. Simply because a thing is a possible cause of something does not mean that it is a probable cause. Options 1 and 2 would lead to the serials not continuing, but then so would Greg Farshtey's death by Komodo Dragon. Under your logic, I can't rule out that he was killed by a Komodo Dragon because that event would result in the serials not continuing.

I'm assuming sanity on the part of my listeners here; what I am positing is that Lego has only so many logical options to take the story in relation to the serials, and all of those options result in the serials not continuing. Because of this fact, knowing that the serials do not continue has no bearing on which of those options was chosen, or which varient of option 3 (continuation or reboot) happened.

I can rule out Greg Farshtey's death by Komodo Dragon: it is not a viable storyline option for Bionicle serials. It was never an option to begin with.

Option 3 is a possibility, but Greg's wording suggests that it isn't the case. Greg said that he thought that the reasons for him not continuing the serials would become obvious after NYCC. If Option 3 were true, NYCC's reveal would not be enough to convince fans that the serials couldn't continue. On the contrary, it would probably result in some people coming to the following conclusion: "The new story is a soft reboot, that means that the events of the post-JE serials still happened within its continuity! Caloo, callay, o frabjous day! Quick, Greg, finish them!"

It really depends on if the serial plots really have a bearing on the new story. If it's a reboot, they don't. Some types of continuations don't either. 

Still, you may have a point...

@Dallior08

Leaks are taboo here on BZPower, best not to discuss them.

It really depends on if the serial plots really have a bearing on the new story. If it's a reboot, they don't. Some types of continuations don't either. 

But if it is at all a continuation, then it won't be so obvious why Greg's not going to finish the serials. If the new story is within the same continuity as the old, no matter how little a connection it shares with the serials, it would give them some sort of relevance and, consequently, give hope to those who want them finished.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

I wonder if Okoto is a location on Spherus Magna.

That'd be pretty neat, but since the only part of SM that contains oceans is Aqua Magna (as far as I know), and we've explored all of that, I doubt that the island of Okoto is on the same planet. It's looking more like they'll be throwing ten years of story out the window, which is a shame IMO as I grew up with and enjoyed it.

@Jam Pot

Dude, Spherus Magna is the reformation of Aqua, Bota and Bara Magna, Aqua Magna as a water planetoid no longer exists. Spherus Magna on the other hand, is now much like Earth, containing all 6 elemental enviroments. It is not unreasonable to speculate that the new Island of "Okoto" is a location that didn't exist before the Reformation. Also, to all you people saying it should be called "Okoto Nui" remember, there are islands that were named single words, like Daxia, Artahka and Destral. Okoto fits with the idea that Mata Nui the island is long gone, and new locations are now ripe for exploration, both by the Toa, as well as ourselves.

As far as we know, it technically could be Krakua's island that he is defending.

While that's true, it would have to be a different time period since Krakua was supposed to be the lone guardian of the island, while the line Irafa found says multiple elemental heroes battle a rising evil.

There is a fourth option: Not resolve the serial plot points in the main story, and let Greg resolve them in new serials.

In my mind that falls under option #3, really. Greg said his bosses in Billund want his "focus on current lines" so unless the bosses are incorporating serial plot points in the new line, I doubt they will care enough to make Greg finish the serials. In any case, the main story would be ignoring them, hence option three.

With a little imagination that fourth option can be grouped under the third option, yes. But I don't think the fourth option is an option at all, since Greg has stated he wasn't asked to continue writing the serials and as Fishers stated above, he is not allowed to do it without permission from the story team. So yeah, there's a small possibility the story team turns around, but it's very unlikely IMO. Not quite komodo dragon unlikely, but still very unlikely.

I never interpreted Greg's quote as saying that TLG would say something at NYCC that would, in itself, rule out any possibility of Greg continuing to do the serials. I interpreted his quote as saying NYCC will make it clear why they didn't ask him to do it, and all of the other things he said before should make it clear that if the story team doesn't ask him to do it, it's not going to happen.

Also, to all you people saying it should be called "Okoto Nui" remember, there are islands that were named single words, like Daxia, Artahka and Destral. Okoto fits with the idea that Mata Nui the island is long gone, and new locations are now ripe for exploration, both by the Toa, as well as ourselves.

To be fair, people were saying it should have "Nui" in it to give it that 2001 feel, and none of the islands you mentioned were introduced in 2001 (only Mata Nui was). Still I think the idea that the island should have "Nui" in its name is motivated by a lot of nostalgia bias, and nostalgia bias is only going to lead to disappointment.

Link isn't working anymore. Guess someone at LEGO caught on to their work being discovered prematurely.

Anyway, I am excited and disappointed that this is looking more like a reboot. We'll probably never find out about some mysteries that were never solved, like how Krakua contacted Vakama in Time Trap. But at the same time, I feel like this is BIONICLE's only way to function now. New possibilities are also good.

It originally never worked. However you could see the description in the source code, as stated above. In order to see the description on the source page go to the link. Now click "Ctrl+U", from that you will then find yourself on a page with the same url as before, just now with the words "view-source" at the beginning of the url box. Now just skim through the words on the source page, or you can press "Ctrl+F" to open up a little search bar for the source code page. From there, you can type in "Okoto", which will then highlight all of the words you typed in the search bar, in orange.

This is just so that you guys can find it for yourselves :)

Edit: Oh BTW I am using the latest Google Chrome browser, so I do not know if it works on IE, Firefox, Safari or any other internet browsers. 

I used this method and found an interesting html code.

"https://a248.e.akamai.net/cache.lego.com/r/account2/r/api/en-US/v1/lego.id.header.js" id="legoid"></script>

and

"https://a248.e.akamai.net/cache.lego.com/r/www/r/analytics/Modules/TrackManApi"

Note Akamai. I don't know if this means Akamai Technologies which is a cloud service provider, or Akamai, one of the Toa Kaita. Just something interesting I found.

Bionicle for 2015.

Link isn't working anymore. Guess someone at LEGO caught on to their work being discovered prematurely.

Anyway, I am excited and disappointed that this is looking more like a reboot. We'll probably never find out about some mysteries that were never solved, like how Krakua contacted Vakama in Time Trap. But at the same time, I feel like this is BIONICLE's only way to function now. New possibilities are also good.

It originally never worked. However you could see the description in the source code, as stated above. In order to see the description on the source page go to the link. Now click "Ctrl+U", from that you will then find yourself on a page with the same url as before, just now with the words "view-source" at the beginning of the url box. Now just skim through the words on the source page, or you can press "Ctrl+F" to open up a little search bar for the source code page. From there, you can type in "Okoto", which will then highlight all of the words you typed in the search bar, in orange.

Edit: Oh BTW I am using the latest Google Chrome browser, so I do not know if it works on IE, Firefox, Safari or any other internet browsers.

"https://a248.e.akamai.net/cache.lego.com/r/account2/r/api/en-US/v1/lego.id.header.js" id="legoid"></script>

and

"https://a248.e.akamai.net/cache.lego.com/r/www/r/analytics/Modules/TrackManApi"

Note Akamai. I don't know if this means Akamai Technologies which is a cloud service provider, or Akamai, one of the Toa Kaita. Just something interesting I found.

It's the former. Lego's used that service to host images for years, I think even since before Bionicle ended.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

and

It's the former. Lego's used that service to host images for years, I think even since before Bionicle ended.

Okay, I was genuinely curious about that, I assumed that was the more likely reason. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bionicle for 2015.

and

Okay, I was genuinely curious about that, I assumed that was the more likely reason. Thanks for clearing that up.

I read nearly the entirety of the second link. It was mostly code, but at one point I was able to see bioniclestory.com there. What is interesting is that is was near other links such as lego friends, ninjago, etc so it must mean a new BionicleStory.com. I tried searching it, but it took me to the Lego home page. The one for ninjago took me to ninjago though.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Dumb question: How did Akamai's name pass legal if it's the name of a cloud service provider? Did the latter come afterward?

Because it's a Hawaiian word meaning intelligent and witty, so it didn't belong to the company, which was formed in 1998.

Edited by MIY
  • Upvote 1

Bionicle for 2015.

Dumb question: How did Akamai's name pass legal if it's the name of a cloud service provider? Did the latter come afterward?

Because it's a Hawaiian word meaning intelligent and witty, so it didn't belong to the company, which was formed in 1998.

Not to mention that it could still probably pass legal anyway. The thing about trademarks is that they only apply to the trade in question. So while creating another web-based business called Akamai would probably be infringement, creating a toy-based character with that name is most likely A-OK.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Not to mention that it could still probably pass legal anyway. The thing about trademarks is that they only apply to the trade in question. So while creating another web-based business called Akamai would probably be infringement, creating a toy-based character with that name is most likely A-OK.

And it wasn't even released as a set anyway.

Bionicle for 2015.

And it wasn't even released as a set anyway.

It was a combiner. 

Thanks guys. :)

Edited by fishers64