Goodbye Mata Nui, Meet Okoto

You thought I was clever when I guessed the URL of a picture of the Mask of Creation on LEGO.com? I already had the idea to guess the URL of the BIONICLE page on the LEGO.com videos section at some point, though the page shows an error message so I just moved on, but to do that AND look into the source code and find the following text enclosed in an HTML meta tag, you have to be a truly clever guy like BZPower member Irafa:

LEGO BIONICLE is an epic legend set on the mystical island of Okoto where elemental heroes fight for masks of power against a rising evil

So, this isn't very much, but now we know the name of next year's location - and still we don't know for sure if this is a reboot or a continuation, but we now have a bit more to speculate about. Great job, Irafa!

View the full article

• Upvote 9

And before anyone asks, yes, the word "Okoto" does have significance.

Noun.

1. the thing one cannot live without. 
2. a state of mind one achieves while actively fulfilling his or her passion.

Adjective.

Perfect balance, usually found between financial obligations (work) and recreational activites (play).

"I need a little okoto in my life."
"Surfing is my okoto."
  • Upvote 2

zV5MODc.png
Please take some time to read my friend's Hero Factory story "End Factory".
It was in the works for 2 years and is now available online to read.
Please be sure to leave a review if you can as it would mean a lot to both me and him.

A nice surprise awaits you inside.

And before anyone asks, yes, the word "Okoto" does have significance.

Noun.

1. the thing one cannot live without. 
2. a state of mind one achieves while actively fulfilling his or her passion.

Adjective.

Perfect balance, usually found between financial obligations (work) and recreational activites (play).

"I need a little okoto in my life."

"Surfing is my okoto."

Oh, that is neat :D I hope those are themes they explore in the story, those definitions sound just like Destiny, Duty, and Unity, in order. 

I'm glad they're doing a new location (unless it's a past location with a new name for sake of atmosphere or something who knows) and I'm pretty pumped for mask collection to be a thing again ^^

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Link isn't working anymore. Guess someone at LEGO caught on to their work being discovered prematurely.

Anyway, I am excited and disappointed that this is looking more like a reboot. We'll probably never find out about some mysteries that were never solved, like how Krakua contacted Vakama in Time Trap. But at the same time, I feel like this is BIONICLE's only way to function now. New possibilities are also good.

• Upvote 1

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

Link isn't working anymore. Guess someone at LEGO caught on to their work being discovered prematurely.

though the page shows an error message so I just moved on, but to do that AND look into the source code and find the following text enclosed in an HTML meta tag

It probably never worked.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Anyway, I am excited and disappointed that this is looking more like a reboot. We'll probably never find out about some mysteries that were never solved, like how Krakua contacted Vakama in Time Trap. But at the same time, I feel like this is BIONICLE's only way to function now. New possibilities are also good.

It originally never worked. However you could see the description in the source code, as stated above. In order to see the description on the source page go to the link. Now click "Ctrl+U", from that you will then find yourself on a page with the same url as before, just now with the words "view-source" at the beginning of the url box. Now just skim through the words on the source page, or you can press "Ctrl+F" to open up a little search bar for the source code page. From there, you can type in "Okoto", which will then highlight all of the words you typed in the search bar, in orange.

This is just so that you guys can find it for yourselves :)

Edit: Oh BTW I am using the latest Google Chrome browser, so I do not know if it works on IE, Firefox, Safari or any other internet browsers. 

Edited by AdaptingChaos

I wonder how Hawaii or wherever will feel about LEGO using their language.

I hope they learned their lesson and worked it out beforehand :P That, or they probably think they could easily survive another lawsuit, with all the success they've had profit wise compared to a decade ago.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Okoto is a location on Spherus Magna.

That'd be pretty neat, but since the only part of SM that contains oceans is Aqua Magna (as far as I know), and we've explored all of that, I doubt that the island of Okoto is on the same planet. It's looking more like they'll be throwing ten years of story out the window, which is a shame IMO as I grew up with and enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

What strikes me as intriguing in that simple line is how there might be some ambiguity about the fighting. Are the elemental heroes fighting against the rising evil to gain their masks of power, or are they fighting each other for those masks?

The first interpretation sounds like a reboot. The second interpretation, not so much. ;)

• Upvote 6

APlayofLight_zps1888c63b.jpeg

Part One of the Chrysalis Saga

By Takuta-Nui

I think this helps prove that it's a continuation instead of a reboot. If it's a reboot, why not just call the island Mata Nui?

'Cause if they wanna go in a completely new direction with it, why give the island the same name as an unrelated one? Reboots don't have to retrace the steps of the original, like someone said earlier or in another topic.

• Upvote 4

What strikes me as intriguing in that simple line is how there might be some ambiguity about the fighting. Are the elemental heroes fighting against the rising evil to gain their masks of power, or are they fighting each other for those masks?

The first interpretation sounds like a reboot. The second interpretation, not so much. ;)

Doesn't seem that ambiguous to me. It says they fight FOR masks of power AGAINST a rising evil. Honestly that doesn't leave that much room for interpretation for me. :P Then again, you never know. For all we know, the elemental heroes could be foes at first before they find the value of unity.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

That'd be pretty neat, but since the only part of SM that contains oceans is Aqua Magna (as far as I know), and we've explored all of that, I doubt that the island of Okoto is on the same planet. It's looking more like they'll be throwing ten years of story out the window, which is a shame IMO as I grew up with and enjoyed it.

Could the island not be on a different planet?

Could the island not be on a different planet?

I guess it all depends on whether it's a reboot or continuation. Though that being said, if it is a reboot it could still be set on Spherus Magna.

• Upvote 1

I think in Japanese, if you change a letter around, Otoko means 'man'.

Okoto could also mean Skeleton in some other language. http://glosbe.com/luo/en/okoto

In Serbian it means 'Eye'

Giant Robot confirmed?

Man/Skeleton refers to the Robot, and this island is the eye.

• Upvote 3

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I think in Japanese, if you change a letter around, Otoko means 'man'.

Okoto could also mean Skeleton in some other language. http://glosbe.com/luo/en/okoto

In Serbian it means 'Eye'

Giant Robot confirmed?

Man/Skeleton refers to the Robot, and this island is the eye.

Skeleton=Horseless Headless Horsemann

Eye=Monoculus

Man=Merasmus

Bionicle/TF2 crossover confirmed.

• Upvote 10

At this point I literally gave up hope on a continuation... I need to embrace it now, or hate it in the future.

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Hmmm kinda sounds like a reboot to me now. I was going to be happy either way with a continuation or reboot.

Reboot gives a fresh outlook for new fans, and doesn't complicate stuff. It also can bring bionicle back to it's roots, I feel like this season is going to be a lot like 2001 but at the same time different which is exciting.

As for the mysteries that never get solved why doesn't bzp just ban together and vote on head cannoning them. We seem to be the only ones who care about the loose ends.

At first Okoto sounded weird but after reading this topic I think it kind of fits.

Edited by Flex Likes Groot

I've pretty much lost hope at this point for a continuation. 

Right, because when two planets merge there's no chance the geography could change and a new island could pop up.

Stranger things have happened!

• Upvote 13

HUGE like on the name of the island, IMO it's much better than Spherus Magna, Artidax or in fact anything we've seen in the last years of the previous run.

You know, still has that tribal feel to it. Those vowel endings and hard "K" really drive that feel. Toa, Mata-Nui, Turaga, MaKuta, Akaku, Kaukau, Hau, Kakama...I mean do I need to keep going?

Right, from a linguistic point of view what's important is:

1) Syllables shouldn't end in consonants (so by extension, words shouldn't end in them either).

2) Syllables shouldn't start with more than one consonant, except when it's "k", "t" or "p" followed by "r". (EDIT: "wh" and "ng" are also possible since they are single consonant sounds, albeit written with two letters)

3) Don't use "q", "x", "y" or "c".

4) try to use "a", "k" and "t" a lot.

With those rules you end up with words that sound very 2001-y IMO:

Hekala, Tukoni, Kruadu, Baikata... (NOT: Hekla, Stukoni, Quacu, Baiktyx...)

Its sounds kinda Japanese...I dunno...I fell a little uneasy about the name. I would feel better if they at least called it "Okoto Nui"

"Nui" means "great" in Maori, Hawaiian and many other Polynesian languages (Rapa Nui, that's Easter Island ;) ). They probably want to avoid using any of the leftover words from 2001 that were based on such languages (as a matter of fact that also includes "Toa", "Turaga" and the names of most 2001 characters, so I'm not counting on those names returning either). Edited by Thormen

Wow, it really is starting to look like LEGO is going to restart everything. Though I do hope that is not the case, I still would have liked a different setting than a mystical island. We've had enough islands over the years; while it was cool, I think TLG should have branched away a bit, like they did with Bara-Magna or even Karda-Nui. It's repetitive.

• Upvote 1
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock