Japanese Bohrok Combiner?

This is my first new topic in over five years. Anyway, I was searching for Rahkshi in Japanese in hope of finding instructions for that one alternate model featured in the back of one of the 2003 comics (I think it was comic 15 "Secrets and Shadows"). I found a Japanese site with pictures of the Rahkshi Kabaya combiners, and another esults in the image search had the same site listing the 2004 sets, showing them on a sort of "table" or "tree" their respective combiners (labelled "fusion"). I thought I might have some luck on this site, so I started changing the numbers in the URL, just to see if it led me anyewhere, and I found a page listing the Bohrok-Kal. It also featured the Kanohi Nuva/Krana-Kal pack, plus Kohrak and Nuvohk. And scrolling down, it features the same sort of tree with Kohrak and Nuvohk, showing a combiner model I've never seen before.

EDIT: Here is the page.

This is the picture:

unknown.png

Has anyone seen this before?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 17

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

It seems to me that this was an "official" combiner, because the other pages presented the Rahkshi Kabaya combiners, Kraahu, Kranua, and Ultimate Dume in the same way. Not story-wise, but designed by someone at LEGO.

...Okay, wow, I'm genuinely impressed.  Not a lot you could do with just parts from a couple Bohrok, but that hits it out of the park.

• Upvote 2

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I wish i could actually find a step by step instruction for this, because now i am wishing to build it... and the fact it only takes two bohrok instead of the regular three is a nice perk.

• Upvote 3

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I'm wondering if that hip joint can actually support his body.

having just built it myself, i can assure you that the upper body stays up just fine. unfortunately, one of the Y-joints i used in the hip is loose, so it struggles to stand a bit. also the feet take some posing work to balance.

my only complaints now that i've built it are that you have to squeeze the shoulders a bit to keep the headplates from falling into a less impressive position, and the head doesn't look as cool from all angles. otherwise it's just as impressive as the picture.

• Upvote 1

Wow, nice find Cheesy!! I thought I knew about every "official" combiner out there, guess I was wrong. I really like the wing design. Almost angelic, but with very tech undertones.... Definitely a product of Japan.

This reminds me, does anyone know if there's a good, comprehensive database of official combiner instructions anywhere on the internet?

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, if it's off-topic I'll drop it)

Looking for VMKK, GPKK, SSKK, and a gold Kanoka. PM if you have / know of any for sale!

Wow, nice find Cheesy!! I thought I knew about every "official" combiner out there, guess I was wrong. I really like the wing design. Almost angelic, but with very tech undertones.... Definitely a product of Japan.

This reminds me, does anyone know if there's a good, comprehensive database of official combiner instructions anywhere on the internet?

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, if it's off-topic I'll drop it)

You know, I was recently looking for roughly the same thing, and biosector01 has links to a majority of the combiners, though some I had to google and search for, but a majority I found on biosector.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I don't quite get all the praise. It's competent enough as a figure overall, but there are some things I don't like. The white and black are a bit clashing, and vertically using the Nuhvok body pieces as feet just looks too weird. The eye pieces are also used rather pointlessly.

Still, interesting to see something from over ten years ago.

Edited by Sir Kohran

I don't quite get all the praise. It's competent enough as a figure overall, but there are some things I don't like. The white and black are a bit clashing, and vertically using the Nuhvok body pieces as feet just looks too weird. The eye pieces are also used rather pointlessly.

Still, interesting to see something from over ten years ago.

You can build it out of literally any two Bohrok, so if you don't like the colors, it's definitely something you can change. Honestly, though, white and black aren't necessarily clashing. I'd say it's actually a pretty safe color scheme, all things considered. I'd also contest the point of the eye pieces being used pointlessly. Their use reminds me of the way the Voya Nui Matoran use them, as a way to cover a studs-length of axle while still looking visually interesting,

Also, to everyone wondering why official Bohrok combiners never looked this good, I thought it over, and I think I know why. Official combiners are usually designed with playability in mind, and making use of functions. That's why the official Bohrok Kaita are pretty much just a full Bohrok body on top of a large body, and why the Bohrok Kal Kaita that DOESN'T feature a full Bohrok body instead uses the lower half in the hips to keep the thrusting function somewhere. (That honestly really makes me worry about those rubber bands...)

That doesn't cover all the discrepancies, as this Rahkshi Kaita doesn't preserve the original arm-swinging function yet still pales in comparison to this Japanese Rahkshi Kaita. But I'd definitely say it's a factor, and it makes you wonder what kinds of combiners are possible with old sets if you throw out the idea of preserving the function.

• Upvote 1

Holy!!! This is awesome!!!

The green Japanese at the bottom literally says "Bionicle Bohrok".

Edited by TheDarkSide
  • Upvote 1

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

Best line in film history

"We have an old saying too, Georgi - and you're full of it."

All you need to know about me:

• Lifetime Bionicle fan
  • Loves Bionicle, HATES Hero Factory

Cool beans! I love the wings!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Its ok. Loving the placement of the Krana. But other than that nothing to exciting. It also doesn't look like a very powerful character (story wise) I could just picture a Pahrak breaking this little fairy into pieces. :P

I do hope this is canon though.

Edited by ECHO1493

Wow!  That's one neat model!  To think that that's existed all these years, and almost nobody knew about it...

I wonder if there are any other Japanese combiners we don't know about.  Anyone here fluent enough in Japanese to poke around that site in the first post and look some more?  I know that there's the Kabaya Turaga combiner and the Kabaya Bohrok Va combiner, and I just found out about the three Rahkshi combiners today (Two Kabaya ones: one red/brown and one green/white, and the red/black/blue one from the back of comic 14).  And of course, there's this new Bohrok combiner.  There were Kabaya promotional versions of some of the 03 Matoran, right?  Did they have any sort of special Japanese combiner model?

Also, someone mentioned looking for a database of combiner instructions.  BS01 has most of them, as mentioned above, but I found a Brickshelf gallery online that has numerous good photos of almost every single alternate model from Bionicle, even most of the obscure ones.  The only things I noticed missing were the Sand Stalker from 2009, Gaardus from 2010, and this newly discovered Bohrok combiner.  There aren't any instructions, but the photos could be helpful, especially for smaller models like the 03 Matoran combiners.  Here's the link: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=393720

By the way, was anyone ever able to actually find instructions for the red/black/blue Japanese Rahkshi combiner?  (I'm not that great at constructing a set just from pictures of the finished product.)  That combiner seems like it would be neat to build, and if instructions for it exist, I would love to see them.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Thanks Boxor. Also missing from that brickshelf gallery are the two terrible Korean Piraka combiners. One is essentially Irnakk sans gold spine and gold tubing, the other is unique but pretty ugly. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93812

Looking for VMKK, GPKK, SSKK, and a gold Kanoka. PM if you have / know of any for sale!

I just remembered that there are actually 3 combiners for both the Kabaya Turaga and Kabaya Bohrok Va. These are the lesser-known ones, only shown on the back of the boxes:

turaga_kabaya_2.pngturaga_kabaya_3.pngbohrok_va_kabaya_2.pngbohrok_va_kabaya_3.png

As you can see, they're only slightly different from the main ones.

There were Kabaya promotional versions of some of the 03 Matoran, right?  Did they have any sort of special Japanese combiner model?

The back of the boxes just feature the same combiners as the standard versions.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 2

Those other Kabaya combiners are pretty cool.  You'd think that there'd be a fourth one, then, since the Kabaya Turaga  and Bohrok Va were released as sets of four.  That would be one model per set.  Maybe I'll take a look online in a little while, if nobody else knows.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Wow!  That's one neat model!  To think that that's existed all these years, and almost nobody knew about it...

I wonder if there are any other Japanese combiners we don't know about.  Anyone here fluent enough in Japanese to poke around that site in the first post and look some more?  I know that there's the Kabaya Turaga combiner and the Kabaya Bohrok Va combiner, and I just found out about the three Rahkshi combiners today (Two Kabaya ones: one red/brown and one green/white, and the red/black/blue one from the back of comic 14).  And of course, there's this new Bohrok combiner.  There were Kabaya promotional versions of some of the 03 Matoran, right?  Did they have any sort of special Japanese combiner model?

Also, someone mentioned looking for a database of combiner instructions.  BS01 has most of them, as mentioned above, but I found a Brickshelf gallery online that has numerous good photos of almost every single alternate model from Bionicle, even most of the obscure ones.  The only things I noticed missing were the Sand Stalker from 2009, Gaardus from 2010, and this newly discovered Bohrok combiner.  There aren't any instructions, but the photos could be helpful, especially for smaller models like the 03 Matoran combiners.  Here's the link: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=393720

By the way, was anyone ever able to actually find instructions for the red/black/blue Japanese Rahkshi combiner?  (I'm not that great at constructing a set just from pictures of the finished product.)  That combiner seems like it would be neat to build, and if instructions for it exist, I would love to see them.

Yeah, the best we have at the moment of the "Japanese but not Kabaya" Rahkshi combiner may be this guy's (Looserkiller's) reconstruction of it, which he also has a video on:

So, does it count as an official model then? It says they took it from the Japanese LEGO Club magazine in Issue 14.

I also remember constructing the two other Japanese Rahkshi Combiners, but I remember the ball-joints on the (top of the) legs of the green/white one possibly being worse off because of it, and the red/brown one may have also needed strong joints (or at least stronger that the ones I was using) to support the arms properly.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Thanks Boxor. Also missing from that brickshelf gallery are the two terrible Korean Piraka combiners. One is essentially Irnakk sans gold spine and gold tubing, the other is unique but pretty ugly. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93812

Assuming those are legitimate, of course, but we do have instructions for at least one of them:

piraka_kaita_1.jpg

piraka_kaita_2.jpg

Hey BS01, add these if they count!

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Y'know, it's funny, the Japanese Rahkshi one that started this whole topic is actually from this gallery, wherein the one that was used in the magazine is actually the best one of the lot =P. Their Bohrok combiners were... less awesome.

I've had this link for ages, but it's a good reference. I'll definitely keep the Korean Piraka one handy for BS01, it'll be good for the set database I keep asking for but nobody ever helps me work on >:

Edited by Dorek

Wow, are there any other obscure foreign non-canon promotion-related possibly "unofficial" combiners we're forgetting here?

Since we're being all-inclusive, I'd also like to include the back-of-the-box alternate models for the playsets (put on a lot of regular LEGO sets of the time):

$_57.JPG

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724