Elemental Habitats

Hello all.

It dawned on me that there was a lot of detail in place for the homes of the six main elements in Ta-Koro, Ga-Koro etc. Their homes were perfectly in tune with their elements, and yet when Greg told us of De-Koro (Krakua's home) and Ba-Koro, we never got any description on what made the Matoran of those elements settle there, and whether those locations had something that tied in with their element.

Then I realised I had no idea what these locations could be.

So I ask you: if you were a Matoran of Psionics, Gravity, Magnetism, Sonics, Plasma, Lightning or Iron, what habitat would you choose to live in, and why/how does it fit your element?

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

It has been confirmed that Ba- and Ce- Matoran don't have preferred environments necessarily, although it's okay to speculate on where the resident Ce-Matoran might hang out...

I always consider them to be the resident psychologist, so they would probably hang an "I'm a psychologist" sign on some hut somewhere and go talk and be nice to all of the Matoran around them. Or they might take up careers as traders.

Ba-Matoran I picture as guides through Mata Nui's arms and legs when he's moving, or just having a bunch of them around a gravity generator and maintaining it or something. 

Since De-Matoran can hear sounds from kios away, if I were one of them I'd probably want to live somewhere that doesn't have a lot of things that make loud sounds. I'm not sure what habitat that could be off the top of my head though.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I also imagined that matoran of magnetism could live on huge metallic floating plates or floating islands (that float because of loads of magnetic ore in them keeping them up).

I feel that iron would be underground and highly sophisticated with advanced machinery and large mines. Kind of like Onu-koro, except with tougher and less wise matoran.

Psionics could live high up in mountain huts too, secluded so that they can practice their secret society.

Sonics I've imagined to live in a place with high walls and little nature, to keep others out.

Green, well similar to Le-koro except that they live on the ground and maybe have some gardens. They wouldn't really like heights as much as Le-matoran and wouldn't fly.

Gravity and plasma are real difficult. Gravity is very unspecific and a general force so it's hard to pinpoint a specific type of location for it. Plasma is the opposite in that it's too specific; there's only one place I can imagine them to live and that would be a star (and not to mention pretty impossible...). I never really liked those elements anyway. I have my own head canon about the extended family which I find to be much more appealing and full of character.

Edited by Banana Gunz

For some reason I see the Ba-Matoran as people who would live in the Scottish highlands, in that mixed region of flat plains with random rocks popping out of the ground. Anyone know what I'm talking about? 

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Matoran of Gravity probably live deep underground, where the strongest gravities would kill a dragon. let alone a man! :u

anyway, in all seriousness, i thnk Iron would probs be somewhere kinda rough, and rugged. with lots of natural "iron".

And for Sonics, for some reason. a wide open plain comes to mind. a windy one at that. o:

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

In no particular order:

Vo-Matoran: They enjoy 'powered areas'. So I'd place them in a very stormy area or in a heavily-industrialized one. While not in or around Karda Nui, I'd say that Vo-Matoran settlements could mark out the GSR's "power lines/nervous system". On Spherus Magna, they'd likely settle in the Agori cities or near the Great Spirit and Prototype Robots. In the MU, they'd likely be the Vortixx' favoured matoran workers, as Fe- and Fa-Matoran would be rare.

Fa-Matoran: "Magnetically-attuned regions"? Hmm... These sound more like nomads, traveling and trading along the magnetic lines in the MU's body, especially on larger continents. On Spherus Magna, I'd place them in former Iron Tribe areas, perhaps co-existing with Fe-Matoran.

Su-Matoran: Obviously desert-dwellers. If any Matoran species would've been at home on Bara Magna, it was these guys. I like to think that they live in tents on open desert, as opposed to Po-Matoran living in valleys and quarries.

Ba-Matoran: High-gravity regions? I'm pretty sure I've never heard of an equivalent region on our planet, but I'd be inclined to say they live in the deep mines, deeper than Onu-Matoran, who are likely their favourite trading partners. Think biomechanical Gimli and we're on the same page.

De-Matoran: Not only quiet areas, but also areas with pleasant sounds. This would place them in the middle of wide-open plains, far from mountains but near waterfalls or gently-flowing rivers. I'd say the closest approximation in our world would be the Tibetan Monks if Tibet was a massive steppe rather than a mountain range.

Bo-Matoran: All levels of jungles, I'd say. This would put them in close contact with Le-Matoran, who they share armour colours with. So basically anywhere Le-Matoran live with enough quantities of plants in the MU, and the regions of Spherus Magna that were Bota Magna.

Fe-Matoran: In similar regions to the Fa-Matoran. Nynrah in the MU, and cities on Spherus Magna.

Ce-Matoran: Being mentally guarded from outside influence, I see them living amongst other tribes and species. Likely they'd have their own communities, but these would be within larger settlements. For example, a small contingent living in Ko-Metru or Ga-Metru, and on Spherus Magna they're likely Toa Tahu's best ambassadors.

• Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Not to any great degree. Vo-Matoran like 'powered areas' according to BS01. What is a 'powered area'? A power plant, transformer, storm-lashed shores? That's the main reason for this topic, I believe.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

This is mostly just my headcanon, but I always liked the idea of multiple tribes coexisting in specific environments. You can almost pair up a classic element with an alternate element. So like

- Fa- and Ga-Matoran in a seaport village, with Fa-Matoran acting as navigators, as others have mentioned

- Su- and Ta-Matoran someplace with significant volcanic activity

- De- and Ko-Matoran are both pretty keen on quiet, so they'd probably get along well enough, but I dunno if we have any info on De-Matoran cold resistance, so exactly where would be tricky.

- Bo- and Le-Matoran in a split-level jungle community, with Le-Matoran uptree and Bo-Matoran downtree. Although some tidbits in the canon storyline suggest that jugnle life might be atypical for Le-Matoran in the rest of the MU, so one could also imagine urban communities of Le-Matoran and Vo-Matoran creating high-powered vehicles.

- I like to think that the Ba-Matoran, being attuned to gravity, are really good at practical physics, which would put them on good terms with all the Onu-Matoran engineers. And Fe- and Po-Matoran being renowned crafters, I'm just imagining a massive industrialized city, sprawling throughout the inside and outside of a mountain, with Matoran digging and mining and building and innovating day and night. For good measure, let's throw in some Vo-Matoran at the top of the mountain, harvesting energy from lightning strikes.

- I also like Regitnui's idea of Ce-Matoran living within and among other communities. With so many more Matoran living together, you're almost certainly going to need so competent mediators from time to time.

• Upvote 2

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

It's funny, a lot of answers to these could be found on BS01... :P

Not to any great degree. Vo-Matoran like 'powered areas' according to BS01. What is a 'powered area'? A power plant, transformer, storm-lashed shores? That's the main reason for this topic, I believe.

That's it. BS01 is rather vague on the subject. I can imagine Bo-Matoran living in jungles like the Le-Matoran, or coniferous forests. I just cannot imagine where communities of Su-Matoran, Ba-Matoran, Fa-Matoran or Ce-Matoran would live.

Too many elements, not enough time.

index.jpg

Oooh, this will be fun.

Fa-Matoran could settle (at least on SM) near the poles. For transportation to other villages, they could hook up with a Toa of Magnetism and design a metal mechanism. From there the Matoran would get in and the Toa would pull them to the other pole until they reach wherever they're going (at least in the absense of chutes).

Ba-Matoran could live in a floating village low enough air is thick but high enough gravity is slightly different. As soon as a Toa of Gravity erased most of the Gravity underneath the village. To get back down to earth, the Toa would return Gravity at a controlled speed until they get to the ground.

Fe-Matoran, in my opinion, could live in a iron giant quarry, in houses in the sides.

De-Matoran could live on the plains as Reginui said.

Vo-Matoran could dwell on a massive carpet :shrugs:.

As for the Ba-Matoran, obviously they would be in a jungle, the Ce-Matoran could live in the other villages, De-Matoran somewhere isolated, Su-Matoran, somewhere isolated, and Su-Matoran in a star or something. Nothing new on those fronts.

All that being said, as Mr. Farshtey said, real-life physics don't apply, and there could very well be enivironments perfectly suited for these elements.

Edit: I have no ideas what an Av-Matoran settlement could be.

Edited by OrderoftheGreatSpirit

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

*snip*

Well... we kind of got a canon view of that. They lived in Karda-Nui on fallen stalactites (mites? I dunno anymore). They had simple villages, but I feel like it was a fitting setting considering it was the heart/core of Mata-Nui and had a bright setting with giant water falls and bright lights.

I posted my interpretations of the rare breeds' habitats on tumblr a few months back. Essentially, I tried to relate their elemental affinities to the functions of the Great Spirit Robot, and see how they would have fit in.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

*snip*

Well... we kind of got a canon view of that. They lived in Karda-Nui on fallen stalactites (mites? I dunno anymore). They had simple villages, but I feel like it was a fitting setting considering it was the heart/core of Mata-Nui and had a bright setting with giant water falls and bright lights.

StalaCtites = Ceiling

StalaGmites = Ground ^_^

They were called Stalactites because they used to hang on the ceiling of Karda Nui until the Great Cataclysm.

Perhaps Fa-Matoran or Ba-Matoran could live on floating islands? I'm imagining those islands that look like the Huangshan Mountains in the film 'Avatar'? You know, those ones that messed up the planes in the final battle?

• Upvote 1

index.jpg

Interesting idea, but not sustainable. Weather changes, so even if they live in a stormy climate zone, there will be sunny days and storms that produce only rain. I still prefer the idea of them living in or on the MU's electrical systems

*snip*

I meant on Spherus Magna. Maybe they could cultivate light vines somewhere or something.

Edited by OrderoftheGreatSpirit

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

On Spherus Magna I like to think of them taking care of the ignika/Mata Nui in some kind of Great Temple.

• Upvote 2

They could, but turaga are leaders of communities. The Mata Nui Temple would have some turaga, but more would be out amongst the matoran. So the turaga would be priests, the Av-Matoran monks.