BIONICLE Website Updated

Somebody make a continuity crossover with the old and new Toa meeting!

See, one of the old comics during the Rahkshi era implied that one of Kopaka's greatest fears was to be incompetent and have people laugh at him. So, new Kopaka being clumsy and adorable is literally old Kopaka's worst nightmare come true.

Imagine New!Kopaka trying to prove himself as a hero and worthy successor to Old!Kopaka, who is fuming with silent embarrassment and trying to figure out the most dignified way to run away and never be found.

Meanwhile, the Onuas are engaged in a deep but slow philosophical debate, punctuated by long periods of silence and frequent nap breaks.

And then Lewa is delighted that the great beings have opted not to "mess with perfection", and that his new self is every bit as awesome as he always was. The two immediately run off to save the jungle together. Ten minutes later, one's wearing a Krana, the other's infected, and they're busy trying to kill each other.

Someone better do this. It could be the funniest comedy on the forums if done right.

• Upvote 1

To anyone in the Power Rangers fandom, I'm just going to throw this out there.  I feel like Bio 2015 will be our Samurai-Super Megaforce era.  I don't know why, I just feel it.

And then Judd Lynn (Greg) will come in and save us.  Or something.

I don't know.  I'm hoping I'm wrong, but those bios...

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

The Toa Mata are actually dead in BIONICLE 2015.

BIONICLE: LOST

See, one of the old comics during the Rahkshi era implied that one of Kopaka's greatest fears was to be incompetent and have people laugh at him. So, new Kopaka being clumsy and adorable is literally old Kopaka's worst nightmare come true.

Imagine New!Kopaka trying to prove himself as a hero and worthy successor to Old!Kopaka, who is fuming with silent embarrassment and trying to figure out the most dignified way to run away and never be found.

Meanwhile, the Onuas are engaged in a deep but slow philosophical debate, punctuated by long periods of silence and frequent nap breaks.

And then Lewa is delighted that the great beings have opted not to "mess with perfection", and that his new self is every bit as awesome as he always was. The two immediately run off to save the jungle together. Ten minutes later, one's wearing a Krana, the other's infected, and they're busy trying to kill each other.

Please don't spoil your next fanfiction masterpiece. :(

• Upvote 2

10/10 would watch... or read?

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Iiiiiinterersting. Nice that they all have character flaws, I suppose (Gali can't tell jokes, Onua sleeping), but I kind of wish they weren't so comical? Looks like they're going to be used as a "oh, isn't s/he funny!" rather than as something which contributes to their character in any way. I guess I am a little out of their target audience though, so probably shouldn't complain too much!

No mention of mask powers and only a couple of them seem explicitly able to control an element (rather than just, say, cause an earthquake)? Also interesting. Hoping they will still have their mask/elemental powers!

Also not sure what I think of the character designs. They look like they've stepped out of a cartoon. Still probably going to buy them and decide first hand, though!

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

It's still not defiitely absolutely a reboot, but at least there is some actual evidence now.

Actually, it is. I'm sure it was confirmed at the panel and the backstory video on the Facebook page is the final indicator.

By every indication, it seems to be, and it probably is, and I'l be happy either way but until I see a quote from the new story team that says, "Yes, for sure the continuity has bee wiped clean and the old story doesn't count at all," there are plenty of ways that the story could be conceivably linked back if they wanted to. It's fiction, and Bionicle is about as far as any story can stretch your suspension of disbeleif.

Anything from alternate universes, to it's-a-thousand-years-later-and-their-memories-got-erased-again to they-already-know-each-other-and-have-been-on-adventures-before-but-we-aren't-going-to-mention-those could be ways to link the old story to the new. I wouldn't close the door on any such posibilities yet.

That said, between the elaborate new back story and the Toa's new characterization and the totally new story team who may or may not have done their homework on all the details, a complete reboot from scratch would probably be cleaner and less of a headache.

Edited by Takhamavahu

On the thing about Gali's new flaw- the whole "chicks aren't funny" thing is a bit of an unfortunate stereotype, but if you look at the list of traits given to the other Toa, there's very little that wouldn't be read as a negative gender stereotype if it was possessed by a female character.

Fear of the dark- women are wimpy and irrational

Reckless, ending up in trouble- women are helpless damsels that can't stay out of trouble and need to be rescued

Clumsy, bad sense of direction- women make terrible fighters and can't read maps

Forgetful- ditzy bimbo

Sleepy- Okay, no gender baggage here, but it wouldn't have fitted Gali's personality.

So, that's what happens when you try to write a flawed female character in a male-dominated environment- you can't reasonably expect one character to represent an entire gender. Hopefully, they will eventually balance her with a female character renown for her sense of humour.

Please don't spoil your next fanfiction masterpiece. :(

Oh fishers, surely we've had enough silly conversations over the years for you to know that I should never be allowed to write fanfiction. The idea is there for the taking.

• Upvote 1

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

To be fair, she was kinda humourless in Mask of Light. I just hope that's what they're going for here, and not "lololol she tells bad jokes! laugh children, please!"

Also, I don't think anyone was reading any gender stereotypes from this, given that all the characters have flaws just as- if not more- stupid. If she were the only one with a weird character flaw, THAT might, might be gender stereotyping, but here, you're basically saying that women have basically been stereotyped with every single character flaw in existence at some point. While that is closer to the truth than I would like, I doubt anyone saw anything gender based in this characterisation.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, there was a little bit of discussion of it with regards to gender a few pages back, but it's not too huge of an issue, thankfully. I think it is worth addressing now and then, but the only reason it's really noticeable I think is because Eris has the same trait. 

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

In terms of reboot/continuation: What if this is thousands of years into the future? Then, there would likely not be many mentions of the Mata Nui age, as it would be mostly forgotten. The new Toa/"Masters" (I hope that returns to Toa, personally) would be the original Toa Nuva, with Tahu mysteriously repowered. Artakha would have passed down the Mask of Creation and created a new one for the new Makuta, which would only be non-taboo as a name if this is far into the future from the Mata Nui age. Main evidence? The Mask of Creation fits the description from old Bionicle, the new "Masters" have dual-purpose weaponry, just like the Toa Nuva, some of their masks look similar, and wishful thinking.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

EVERY character in chima has bad humour. I think there's something in the drinking water or something. (hope Onua's sleepiness doesn't end up being like the bear tribe).

I think Onua will be a bit more laid-back than he used to be, but I highly doubt he will end up like the bears. 

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Avmatoran, if this were a continuation, naming someone Makuta would be like naming someone "dog". Even if it weren't a species, it would be like naming someone "Hitler". Swappable weapons are literally of no use in discerning whether it's a continuation, as there is no reason to believe they are exclusive to one universe. It's a homage, or a cool play feature, nothing more.

Aldo, the brother story playing out exactly the same a second time would be a bit weird, not to mention okoto is the spitting image of mata nui.

Hence why I say many thousands of years later - when the name of the bad guy from the Mata Nui era is forgotten. The name "makuta" is no longer taboo, as it no longer represents an evil mastermind to anyone anymore. Anyways, this is just my theory. They might be the same Toa, simply with their early memories gone!

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

That's a possibility, I just think people wouldn't forget the person who took control of their entire universe, or the fact that two colossal robots fought in the sky. If the Matoran forgot that, no matter how many generations it was, I would lose some respect for them. Write it down for gods sake! XD

Still, I'm interested in the characterisation of this new, non god-tier Makuta. he seems like he might actually get a character beyond being evil this time. He just wanted to be revered by the islanders early on. I want to see where they go with that.

I'll admit it - at first I was a little devastated that this was going to be a reboot - I was rather enthusiastic about seeing old faces, especially characters like Vezon and his new Olmak and the mysterious 'Golden Being' or Skakdi fusion... (Man I'd love a set of the Skakdi Fusion...)

But then I watched the video and thought a bit more, and I've decided that I don't mind this being a reboot. Although I'd PREFER a continuation, a reboot isn't the end of the world xD""" The new story looks interesting enough, with Ekimu and Makuta being the two new, I guess, "legendary" characters; on the other hand the "Mask of Ultimate Powerrrrrrrrrrrrr" sounds rather silly though >>. I'm guessing "Makuta" is no longer a species in this series (sadface), but we'll see how it goes.

Now. The Toa. As previous members have stated, I too, wish they don't go overboard with their bios traits - I want my cold, calculating and precise Kopaka back D:! In terms of looks they're not bad, but something feels wrong about giving them the beefy pectorals and six-packs via the Hero-factory armor pieces... 

...That being said, I'm digging the rebooted masks (most of them...). Although the names of the masks aren't confirmed, I'll use the original names, so bear with me here.

1. Gali's new Kaukau is lovely and, for me anyway, preferable over her odd Mistika, Adaptive Armour mask with the compound eye and silver winglets. It kind of reminds me of her Mask of Light Kaukau Nuva rendition, being much more feminine, face-hugging with prominent fins. It's very streamlined and seems to be shaped using the dark art of aerodynamics. Actually, I reckon this might even be the best 'Kaukau' we've seen yet!.

2. Kopaka's Akaku is instantly recognisable. Interestingly enough, the extra/telescopic optics on this one are on the right side again, as they were in the Mata and Nuva renditions, as opposed to the left placement in his Phantoka, Adaptive Armour form. Overall, a very cool mask

3. Lewa's Miru.......................... I'm sorry it just doesn't work for me. It just feels... wrong. It was as though he had nicer armour on top of his face and then he used his axes to hack it off, leaving the odd, multi-layered thing that we see here.

4. Onya I mean Onua's mask is an excellent update of his original Pakari. I'm liking this new Pakari - It's muscular, tough and rugged whilst staying true to its ancestor from 2001.

5. Just like Onua, Pohatu's new Kakama is an excellent update of his mask in 2001, having new cheek vents whilst still giving that image of speed and thus I'm digging it!

6. Tahu's new Hau is a swooshy and elegant evolution of his Mata and Nuva masks, retaining the round mouth part and having new cheek vents. Everything feels more futuristic, but it maintains the flow as it did back in the old days.

Anyway, it's getting late for me, so I might end it here for now:

Here's to TEN MORE YEARS!

• Upvote 2

hakann_sig_copy.jpg

Guys, I have figured it out. This story takes place so far beyond the original that everything has changed, mask makers have rose up based on old heroes, and our good old Toa are going senile. Think about it, Tahu has been diagonised with Alzheimer's, Kopaka is just infirm, Onua now has narcolepsy, Lewa and Pohatu are descending into madness (although Pohatu has kept up a strict exercise program), and Gali is just a bit behind the times. This sure will be an interesting year!

• Upvote 1

Guys, it's a reboot as confirmed by LEGO employees both at NYCC (and in our discussions with LEGO staff members the last few months under our NDA) and by Greg online (though he's not involved in the new story so his word is kind of silly to count on for much).

THAT'S NOT HOW LOST WORKED.

• Upvote 3

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I'll try to get to work on that over the weekend. XD

Guys, I have figured it out. This story takes place so far beyond the original that everything has changed, mask makers have rose up based on old heroes, and our good old Toa are going senile. Think about it, Tahu has been diagonised with Alzheimer's, Kopaka is just infirm, Onua now has narcolepsy, Lewa and Pohatu are descending into madness (although Pohatu has kept up a strict exercise program), and Gali is just a bit behind the times. This sure will be an interesting year!

Oh God, that explains so much.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

THAT'S NOT HOW LOST WORKED.

To be fair, I've only seen the first three seasons.

But still, having the Toa "crash" on an island in that context and lose memory, and be isolated from the outside world of SM would be a lot like LOST IMO. Still, you've said that probably isn't the case, so yeah. :)

I like this theory. :)

• Upvote 1

In terms of reboot/continuation: What if this is thousands of years into the future? Then, there would likely not be many mentions of the Mata Nui age, as it would be mostly forgotten. The new Toa/"Masters" (I hope that returns to Toa, personally) would be the original Toa Nuva, with Tahu mysteriously repowered. Artakha would have passed down the Mask of Creation and created a new one for the new Makuta, which would only be non-taboo as a name if this is far into the future from the Mata Nui age. Main evidence? The Mask of Creation fits the description from old Bionicle, the new "Masters" have dual-purpose weaponry, just like the Toa Nuva, some of their masks look similar, and wishful thinking.

Just to allay your fears, the word "Toa" is still going to be used to describe the heroes in the actual story. "Master of (insert element here)" is just a description. It's the same way some Ninjago media has referred to Zane as the "Master of Ice" and other media has referred to him as the "Ninja of Ice".

Just to allay your fears, the word "Toa" is still going to be used to describe the heroes in the actual story. "Master of (insert element here)" is just a description. It's the same way some Ninjago media has referred to Zane as the "Master of Ice" and other media has referred to him as the "Ninja of Ice".

Phew, thanks for that. What about the protectors? Are they officially protectors, or are they going to be called Matoran again?

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OK, this "ONYA" typo is bothering me. How long will it take for them to fix it? And how did that typo even slip in the first place? YOU HAD ONE JOB, LEGO.

Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion...

You can't expect them to fix that in the weekend. Give it some time.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

OK, this "ONYA" typo is bothering me. How long will it take for them to fix it? And how did that typo even slip in the first place? YOU HAD ONE JOB, LEGO.

Sounds like it's really getting Onya nerves.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I hope the Protectors aren't all generic, like the Agori in TLR (o

First off ^ :ahhh:

One topic, I hope they put Koro or Metru or whatever they are now Bios up their for each of the villages soon. I really want to see the Jungle one :begging:  There better be some crazy drum playing Protectors dancing around the tree tops!  :smeag:

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

Phew, thanks for that. What about the protectors? Are they officially protectors, or are they going to be called Matoran again?

According to the panel, they are the tribe leaders of the villages. There's no word yet on whether the villagers in general will have a "species name".

I mean, "Matoran" didn't exist for the first few years, so I think it's odd to expect it as a returning phrase. They have mentioned specifically pulling most of their influences from 2001-2003, and "Matoran" was originally used to retcon out "Tohunga" and though it later just became the generic term for those creatures in the entire MU, the name was derived from "Mata-Nui". Without a "Mata Nui"... why use the term?

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I love puns. Well done!

Yes, I finished the panel video a few days ago. The fact that the protectors are individuals, rather than the species reassures me. I mean, a whole species named the protectors? That does not pique my interest.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

So I assume the Protectors are just villagers that were appointed village Elders?

Is it possible that Ekimu and Makuta were Protectors as well? 

-NotS

Seeing how Ekimu and Makuta are in a 'deep sleep' they are more or less a legend when the actual story takes place, hence making them 'greater' beings.

Of course, this is all based mostly on the video shown at comic-con, but I think it makes more sense if they are a 'superior' species in comparison to the protectors. I think it's also important to take in count the fact that the mask of creation is still a very powerful mask in the reboot, and not one that could be worn by anyone, not even a very powerful and special protector.

So I assume the Protectors are just villagers that were appointed village Elders?

Is it possible that Ekimu and Makuta were Protectors as well? 

-NotS

Seeing how Ekimu and Makuta are in a 'deep sleep' they are more or less a legend when the actual story takes place, hence making them 'greater' beings.

Of course, this is all based mostly on the video shown at comic-con, but I think it makes more sense if they are a 'superior' species in comparison to the protectors. I think it's also important to take in count the fact that the mask of creation is still a very powerful mask in the reboot, and not one that could be worn by anyone, not even a very powerful and special protector.

That's making a big assumption about the new story: that it has similar rules about what kind of character can wear what kind of mask.

It's entirely possible that in the new story any character can wear and use any mask with no issue (save, of course, for the forbidden mask of ultimate power).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm so incredibly excited for everything. Although I was very skeptical of the Hero Factory-esque parts/designs, the new sets look incredible now that I've seen the in person pics from Comic con. Kinda disappointed with the personality changes though :( especially Kopaka. Hopefully the toa stay close their former selves in whatever media comes out