The Legend of BIONICLE

Oh goodness, Makuta is back? Also I love how the Mask of Control looks like the movie version of the Kraahkan with ram horns or some such.

• Upvote 2

"Child of Dunwich rise
You have your father's eyes
C h i l d   o f   D u n w i c h   r i s e
End the world that you despise"

The video with this story is actually on the Lego Bionicle Facebook page. 

Also, I wonder if Makuta is part of a species called 'Makuta' or he is simply a Mask Maker in the new story. I really hope its the latter.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

It seems like they are getting rid of the Makuta as a group which is kind of a bummer. Hopefully the Makuta we've all come to love will show up as other members of the island which actually could be really cool. I don't love the name Ekimu but I think it'll grow on me. Overall though I'm enjoying the direction they are going with this story. Feels very Bionicle but at the same time new and fresh, I like it. Can't wait to see more story and sets!

• Upvote 1

Formerly: Cheesemaster

BIONICLE IS BACK!

2015 Checklist(oh man that feels good to write): Toa 0/6

Well that was...different. No Ghost Animation this time around, but the tale is very intriguing to consider for us "old" BIONICLE fans. Everything is familiar, from the shape of the island (a low-resolution Mata Nui, crudely arranged) to the names of many of the characters (Makuta, Tahu, Kopaka), so it feels truly like I've stepped into one of those alternate universes BIONICLE was so fond of its twilight years.

It will be interesting to see how this "Legend" develops. It seems so much clearer than the original, but simpler at the same time. I'm not sure how I feel about all this. Hopefully, Lego releases more storyline media to elaborate like they did with the BIONICLE comics and MNOLG back before BIONICLE's official launch in the summer of 2001 (North America).

• Upvote 3
Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

I wonder why they did not just name Makuta's brother Mata Nui. Maybe they have other plans for that name.

On another note, as far as a story for a reboot goes, I am really digging this. Very 2001ish. But I do hope that there is a bigger world to explore as the story progresses.

• Upvote 1

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

This is exciting! 

I'm pretty happy that the name Makuta is back, although I wonder what the motivation to use Makuta but not Mata Nui was.

Perhaps due to Mata Nui being used in The Legend Reborn, LEGO thought it may confuse some who had seen that, whereas the name Makuta and of course all the Toa Mata names were not name dropped?

• Upvote 2

-Kongu Champion Gukko Rider

"Two, Four, One, Ten, Two, Four, One, Ten. Am I Transmitting, Is Anyone Listening..?"

LEGO Universe Fan - BIONICLE Fan from 2001 - Discovered BZP in 2007

Every deviation from the original pains me.  I know this is cool it its own right, but still.  They clearly aren't recreating the mystery that was the hallmark of 2001... though I can see how that would be impossible, given that the original Bionicle's big reveals already happened.  They can't present the same mysteries.

I'm not liking the animation.  Here's hoping the other media is in a different style.

• Upvote 1

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

This... kind of sucks.

There, I said it. I realize BZP's the place where most people tend to frantically dig out little bits and pieces they like from what is otherwise a genuine disaster to a point where the whole thing seems BRILLIANT for some reason, but I am not even going to bother. My initial response is that this is horrible, and it's very unlikely that something will change my perception of this new direction. It isn't even the concept of a reboot per se, or the fact that this is blatantly goofy and cartoonish (in comparison to Ghost's splendid CGI), but rather LEGO's complete disregard for what was a fantastically conceived and developed story and their readiness to leave it unfinished and then scrap it entirely for the sake of something as ridiculous as this.

Bye, bye, Babylon, once reaching for the Sun.

• Upvote 12

I'm a tiny bit disappointed by the fact that this doesn't feel like a continuation of the original story. But honestly? I dig the figures, the story is fine and I'm excited because Kopaka looks friggin' awesome. I'm ready to dive into this. All this nostalgia I'm feeling is amazing. Bring on 2015. 

• Upvote 1

drive.gif

When I first heard it was going to be a reboot, I was terrified. I was afraid it was just going to be a disaster, that I would constantly be comparing it to the original Bionicle, that it would ruin the memory of it...

I was so wrong. This looks absolutely amazing, I can't get over how well done it seems. I love that it has that mysterious vibe that the early years of the original gave us, while still managing to be its own story. It's just the right blend of old and new. And while I don't think it will ever be able to replace the original Bionicle in my heart, I am for the first time genuinely super ridiculously excited about this.

:k: :m_d:

• Upvote 1

turahk-1.png

"I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones.

But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole.

And the darkness cannot stand before me." -Kopaka

Hmm. So far only one blatantly negative post. Perhaps BZPower is less closed-minded than I thought it had become since the BIONICLE Stars.

This story matches up with many of our predictions. A reboot that retains familiar characters and settings, but simplified for new fans. I wish it well.

• Upvote 7
How well will you die?

Hmm. So far only one blatantly negative post. Perhaps BZPower is less closed-minded than I thought it had become since the BIONICLE Stars.

This story matches up with many of our predictions. A reboot that retains familiar characters and settings, but simplified for new fans. I wish it well.

Haha, yeah, I was kind of shocked to see all the positivity flooding in. Not the usual response when it comes to anything new that's announced. :P It's a nice feeling.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that Artakha wasn't the one wearing the MoC, but oh well, it's a reboot. :P

• Upvote 2

Ahem.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*slaps self in face*

Chimes of Hades, that was EPIC. I'm seriously loving the 2001-esque mythological feel. The folks at Lego obviously know what they're doing, and it's more clear than ever that the reboot is in most capable hands.   

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

I would've preferred ghost-type animation instead of the cartoonish approach, but it works well enough.

I sincerely hope that the Matoran (or defenders) have other relevance besides meditating on poles.

^This

One thing that made bionicle so interesting was the intriguing Matoran culture. Hope they give the Matoran(or "Protectors") personalities too. 

• Upvote 1
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

And so it begins...

I'm quite pleased with that little animation. A very nice intro to this new universe. I'd feel better about the oriental vibe if Ninjago weren't already using it, but that's just me. Otherwise, I have no complaints. (And I adore the art style, but maybe I'm biased because it resembles my own. *cough cough*)

Can't wait to see more!

• Upvote 1

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I really like the sound of this! It's new and fresh, and I like that they are trying new things rather than just copy-pasting from the original series. Ekimu sounds like a really cool character, but I am curious as to if they'll do anything with Mata Nui. Also, I really hope they bring Takanuva back!!

• Upvote 1
niner.png
Credit to Hi I'm Electon for the Banner and Cherixon and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises for the Avatar
What would you like to see in Bionicle: Next Generation The Game
I used to be Alt Teridax

I really like the sound of this! It's new and fresh, and I like that they are trying new things rather than just copy-pasting from the original series. Ekimu sounds like a really cool character, but I am curious as to if they'll do anything with Mata Nui. Also, I really hope they bring Takanuva back!!

Yeah, the elements of Light and Shadow haven't even been mentioned. I wonder if we will just see the same Toa over and over again, or if new characters will be introduced. 

• Upvote 1
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

I love this. The new angle with which they seem to be approaching the story is new and fresh and I love the entire idea of the two brothers who were just two guys, one of which is Makuta, and both of which are in endless slumbers....dang man. This couldn't be cooler if it wanted to.

AXKP5KC.png

I love how even Makuta's mask looks like an old incarnation of the Kraahkan. Specifically the movie. Just now with a pharoah's headdress.

Overall I really, really like this animation. It's a legend just like we got before, it sets the scene and tone well, and the animation is cool. (Even though I, too, would have loved some Ghost CGI stuff more.)

~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

LewaLew, you shouldn't confuse negativity with closed-mindedness. I for one find it odd that so many people are celebrating a "return" that can more accurately be described as an obvious publicity stunt. Loosely basing what is clearly a brand new series (and a much more childish one at that) on an old one for the sake of cashing in on people's general awareness of the original series is, yes, a logical and solid commercial approach, but definitely not something a true BIONICLE "fan" ought to be worshiping as an awesome (?!) new direction. Because it simply isn't. It's LEGO making money off of people's gullibility.

I'm not closed-minded, I'm critical. Heck, I was one of the few people who LOVED 2005. I suppose I just have a tendency to have unpopular opinions. I hope you can respect that. :)

That said, I will be watching this new direction closely with as unbiased a perspective as I can manage.

• Upvote 4

I am the closed-minded percentage >:(

LewaLew, you shouldn't confuse negativity with closed-mindedness. I for one find it odd that so many people are celebrating a "return" that can more accurately be described as an obvious publicity stunt. Loosely basing what is clearly a brand new series (and a much more childish one at that) on an old one for the sake of cashing in on people's general awareness of the original series is, yes, a logical and solid commercial approach, but definitely not something a true BIONICLE "fan" ought to be worshiping as an awesome (?!) new direction. Because it simply isn't. It's LEGO making money off of people's gullibility.

I'm not closed-minded, I'm critical. Heck, I was one of the few people who LOVED 2005. I suppose I just have a tendency to have unpopular opinions. I hope you can respect that.  :)

That said, I will be watching this new direction closely with as unbiased a perspective as I can manage.

This. So much this.

Edited by DLVasco

I'm sort of echoing both sides of this conversation right now - I'm really excited to see this, but at the same time, it's just...

Hum.

No Mata Nui? Why? (Especially, as others have said, since Makuta's name hasn't changed (sub-parenthesis: I love that it is just "Makuta").)

And Artahka's name isn't the same. (If it's even technically Artahka (any more than wearing the MoC), anyway.)

And apparently masks only let you control the element they have power over? So, I guess, Kanohi are no more?

And, of course, the animation. I don't really mind it for this first-story-bit thing, since it's covering somewhat "mythological" style stuff, and the style (at least, to me) is somewhat cave-drawing-ish, but I hope they do more of the original-style animation stuff. In my opinion, this seems a bit more... kid-y? Or something. I don't mean to put it down, or anything, I just mean that the style seems more like the kind of animation popular in shows for kids around ~5 years old or something.

(oh also apparently makuta is sauron now)

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 3
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Haha, yeah, I was kind of shocked to see all the positivity flooding in. Not the usual response when it comes to anything new that's announced. :P It's a nice feeling.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that Artakha wasn't the one wearing the MoC, but oh well, it's a reboot. :P

It appears to me like Ukinu (I am getting the name right, correct?) is a hybrid of Mata Nui and Artahka. On the other hand, I don't see much of Karzahni in the new Makuta, so I suppose that's why he retains the name.

I'm not closed-minded, I'm critical. Heck, I was one of the few people who LOVED 2005. I suppose I just have a tendency to have unpopular opinions. I hope you can respect that. :)

First, check your logical fallacies--No True Scotsman, to be precise.

Second, this theme is more than loosely based on BIONICLE's 2001 story. It's almost exactly the same. Two enigmatic brothers strive for power, and one falls asleep for an indeterminate amount of time due to their actions (or in this case, both.) Six heroes with elemental powers search for masks by fighting monsters.

It's almost the exact same idea as 2001. Even the sets have many references to the original Toa Mata. This is more than just lip service. That said, I expected more people to treat this as another Hero Factory--an unworthy false successor--since it isn't just picking up from the end of the Mata Nui Saga. I'm pleasantly surprised by most of the people posting here. It's a happy contrast from when Hero Factory arrived.

How well will you die?