The Legend of BIONICLE

Ekimu and Makuta were great mask makers. But little did Akimu know, Makuta made another mask -- One Mask to rule them all!

It's clear that it's going to be a total reboot but not in a bad way. I am curious about the toa's masks now. They said the brothers agreed no mask could have more than one element. Is that were the Toa's powers come from this time? And I take it that the golden masks are different than in 2001 for the same reason.

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

Very interesting. Slick, stylized animation style. Very cartoony, but I don't mind it at all. The narration is as great as always.

Looks like the Protector sets are the inhabitants. This is very 2001 like, even the island of Okoto screams "Mata Nui!". Don't dig the look of the island overview but everything else looked pretty great.

Makuta and Ekimu eh? Weird how they would keep one name but not the other, but I really like the story they have going for these two. Reflects 2001 but adds a new twist in the mask-making that ties everything together and makes it a lot more interesting IMO. Ekimu with the Mask of Creation, and Makuta with the Mask of Control... sounds like some OP powers there. And it seems that these two are legit brothers this time around, which is nice.

Mask of Ultimate Power eh? I like the reasoning for both of them getting knocked into a coma. I just hope it doesn't end up retreading familiar ground as 2001 in the end, cause they are setting up a new and interesting premise (which is still hearkens to its roots).

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

My only rant is that I utterly dislike the cartoonistic style of the video, but fortunately, that isn't what really matters here. In fact, I'm love everything else so far -- even the fact that this is a total reboot. Yesterday, I thought that fact would have put me off, but I guess LEGO already managed to change my mind.

sig8.png

LewaLew, you shouldn't confuse negativity with closed-mindedness. I for one find it odd that so many people are celebrating a "return" that can more accurately be described as an obvious publicity stunt. Loosely basing what is clearly a brand new series (and a much more childish one at that) on an old one for the sake of cashing in on people's general awareness of the original series is, yes, a logical and solid commercial approach, but definitely not something a true BIONICLE "fan" ought to be worshiping as an awesome (?!) new direction. Because it simply isn't. It's LEGO making money off of people's gullibility.

I'm not closed-minded, I'm critical. Heck, I was one of the few people who LOVED 2005. I suppose I just have a tendency to have unpopular opinions. I hope you can respect that. :)

That said, I will be watching this new direction closely with as unbiased a perspective as I can manage.

First things first, you've seen a total of one video and breif descriptions and you've been able to deduct that it is more childish? Great Detective work.

Publicity stunt? How so? I don't see how rereleasing a toy line is a stunt at all, and they're most likely not doing it for publicity, considering most of their reveals have been through a facebook page.

Yes it's a brand new series, this is bad why? You need to let go of the past, lego's not going to do the exact same thing over again.

If Lego wanted to trick people into buying sets then they'd do exactly what you want them to do, which is releasing the exact same thing they did 10 years ago.

And no, you seem to have biasness due to your nostalgia. Your opinion is your opinion and I respect that, but you're not really giving it a chance. And who are you to say what people shouldn't or should like,that's close minded. I'm not saying that you should like it, I'm just saying that you should give it a chance before immediately dismissing it as stupid. I think most people are just happy to have Bionicle back.

Edited by MIY
  • Upvote 2

Bionicle for 2015.

Cool video, but I'm sad about the animation. When lego switched to drawn-style animation instead of computer animation for the Lego Friends episodes, My sisters were disappointed. Now they have this style of animation with Ultra Agents videos, city, and other themes. It just makes me hope if we get a Bionicle TV show it won't have this style of animation.

Also, I'm not buying into this whole "Okoto" thing instead of Mata nui. Plus, where did all the mystery/exploration go?

I have mixed feelings. Okoto isn't as well designed as Mata Nui was - it's just a blob of land with six different colors. The animation was horrendous as well, especially when compared to the stuff Ghost and Templar did back in '01. I guess Lego wanted to try something different.

So far the storyline is intriguing, though I have to wonder why Makuta was a character and Mata Nui wasn't... I wonder if they have plans for that? The sets look well-designed - Gali looks awesome.

I'm not very optimistic this reboot will be very good, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

• Upvote 3

Also, I'm not buying into this whole "Okoto" thing instead of Mata nui. Plus, where did all the mystery/exploration go?

... Where did it go? There's plenty of mystery present in the trailer. Where are the masks? Where are the mask makers? Who are those little guys sitting on poles and fishing? As for exploration, we have a whole new island with an entirely different history and culture than the ones we know. There's tons still to learn. We're only at the tip of the iceberg.

• Upvote 3
BZPRPG

My thoughts so far:

1) For the record, Greg has now official confirmed this is a reboot, not a continuation. That out of the way, the question is if this type of reboot works.

2) I think it does -- because they aren't just going back to 2001 like some people were saying. Enough is changed, that it feels more like a completely different universe with some familiar favorite things brought over. This was one bit I liked about the later alternate universes in the old Bionicle; there were some scenes where characters briefly saw totally alternate Bionicle histories, even the identity of Makuta. Old Bionicle couldn't explore those but now we can! (Whether it's meant as an alternate universe or they just will make it seem like the new "real" universe.)

3) Given that this is aimed at kids, I think the animation style is probably pretty good. It's not quite what I would hope for, but on the other hand, I know a lot about not biting off more than you can chew, and if they intend to keep that up (maybe not; might just be promotional), they could actually tell story in that medium way more than old Bionicle ever even attempted (a little with the movies, but yeah). And it reminds me of popular styles I've seen in newer cartoons on Cartoon Network and the like (which I don't watch but if I was a youngster maybe I would :P).

4) It doesn't recycle the giant robot! (As far as I can tell.) I was worried they'd try to do that, but polls here have consistently showed people feel that's been done enough now and want something new. Looks like they're doing it! (This one could have worked with a future continuation or a reboot.)

5) A minor point for us old fogies -- looks like we may be free to still imagine the original description of the Mask of Creation for the old continuity. I'm not sure how to feel about that; I like this one a lot, but on the other hand, selfishly I also like the idea of using the art I made myself for it in my retelling instead of this. Not that it matters for LEGO's purposes or anybody else, just feel like bringing it up. :P Had this been a continuation I would have definitely gone with the new one. Now I'm not sure. Maybe something to ask Greg (not about fan versions but if he considers this the same appearance now for the "old canon" mask Artakha wears).

6) IMO probably a great decision to use "Makuta" (like those alternate universes Greg featured briefly), and especially not to use Mata Nui. Had they used those two together I think it would be too easy to confuse this continuity for the old one. Different names for some major things helps us tell them apart, so that's great.

I could comment on the sets but this isn't really the topic for it so I'll leave it there. (They're about what I'd expect given the set development history of HF, suffice to say.) Cautiously optimistic -- it looks like (within the context of clearly aiming at kids -- this is for a new generation, not us!) LEGO's making wise decisions. ^_^

And BTW, some people in here may be knocking the animation there a little too much -- I saw a few scenes that still looked rad cool to me. :)

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'm confused... Why reuse a handful of old characters in a completely unrelated story only to change parts of who they are?

Franchises do this all the time. There must be 500 different versions of Spider-Man. All the stories are pretty much different, but the characters retain their names and general personalities.

• Upvote 4

I'm confused... Why reuse a handful of old characters in a completely unrelated story only to change parts of who they are?

Franchises do this all the time. There must be 500 different versions of Spider-Man. All the stories are pretty much different, but the characters retain their names and general personalities.

DC Comics did it only a couple years ago with everything. Their characters, their comic books, their settings. Everything--hard reboot.

And the reason for it was the same. Comic book universes quickly become convoluted. BIONICLE had the same problem after ten years.

• Upvote 2
How well will you die?

I already really like the way the story is unfolding. Makuta and ekimu are brothers and i really like how they made all the masks of power this time instead of them being made out of powered discs Etc. Like the whole asleep thing since we all know they will probably awaken.

I also love that this is going to have a 2001 feel but be new at the same time. Cheers to bionicle 2015z

You gotta be kidding me. 

This is a complete reboot, complete with kidsy animation, weak same-y Toa designs, and dull-as-dirt rehashed story? Lego, your capacity for betrayal knows no bounds. First you mess up Lego Middle-earth, then you bring Bionicle "back" only to kill it a second time. 

Well, at least my wallet will rest easy. 

• Upvote 2

clankerban.png

Credit to .:Sisen:.

Anyone who plays/collects the Lord of the Rings Tradeable Miniatures Game, drop me a PM!

DC Comics did it only a couple years ago with everything. Their characters, their comic books, their settings. Everything--hard reboot.

And the reason for it was the same. Comic book universes quickly become convoluted. BIONICLE had the same problem after ten years.

And Transformers pulls this every few years, too. Well, not as extensively, but almost every time there's some new media, it's a brand new continuity. It can and does work.

AXKP5KC.png

The movie style is a little disappointing, but who cares, it's just one video.

More importantly, Bionicle is back, and it seems like the story is going to be pretty appealing to new and old fans alike. Different enough to make it interesting, but similar enough to what we'd been missing for (what seems like) so long.

I feel sort of dissapointed. (Not because it was a reboot, but I was kind of hoping for continuations.) The story is...okay. But I think the first story was better (well, I'm sure just about everyone thinks that), because I just think, hypothetically, someone would more likely be jealous of everyone honoring their brother rather than having their brother's masks be more valued. Just seems a bit more petty.

(I also really didn't like the animation style. But it seems to be only just this one video, so I can get around that.)

(Oh and also I kind of hoped the mask of creation guy would be named Artahka. Sort of like an old Bionicle reference, if it's a reboot, at least.)

Edited by Underscore

2xu8Ptu.png

I'm sort of echoing both sides of this conversation right now - I'm really excited to see this, but at the same time, it's just...

Hum.

No Mata Nui? Why? (Especially, as others have said, since Makuta's name hasn't changed (sub-parenthesis: I love that it is just "Makuta").)

And Artahka's name isn't the same. (If it's even technically Artahka (any more than wearing the MoC), anyway.)

And apparently masks only let you control the element they have power over? So, I guess, Kanohi are no more?

And, of course, the animation. I don't really mind it for this first-story-bit thing, since it's covering somewhat "mythological" style stuff, and the style (at least, to me) is somewhat cave-drawing-ish, but I hope they do more of the original-style animation stuff. In my opinion, this seems a bit more... kid-y? Or something. I don't mean to put it down, or anything, I just mean that the style seems more like the kind of animation popular in shows for kids around ~5 years old or something.

(oh also apparently makuta is sauron now)

I hear you. I pretty much had the same reaction to the video. I like the reboot-ish feel, but I also fell like it's a different animal than what we're used to. And I don't know if I'll enjoy it.

That being said, I recognize that it's not aimed at me, so I can get over it. I'm just glad BIONICLE is back and more people can come to enjoy it. :)

• Upvote 2

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus."

I feel sort of dissapointed. (Not because it was a reboot, but I was kind of hoping for continuations.) The story is...okay. But I think the first story was better (well, I'm sure just about everyone thinks that), because I just think, hypothetically, someone would more likely be jealous of everyone honoring their brother rather than having their brother's masks be more valued. Just seems a bit more petty.

(I also really didn't like the animation style. But it seems to be only just this one video, so I can get around that.)

The story we've gotten so far is pretty much just the 2001 story. I don't really think it's pettier at all--what does "honoring" mean, if not respecting and valuing them more? If the two were basically the most important people on the island, but one was considered more importanter than than the other...Note also that Makuta, while jealous, didn't necessarily do anything against his brother--he just tried to make himself stronger.

AXKP5KC.png

From what I've seen of this, I'm game. I mean, I'm game enough to have posted on BZPower after how many years, lol. It does seem to stir the initial excitement and mystery of 2001, and while obviously it cannot totally recreate it (as everything seemed a lot cooler back when I was a kid, lol, oh the nostalgia goggles) it seems to be making a good effort. I hope there's a lot of world-building like there was in the old canon: the old Bionicle had one of my favorite fantasy worlds of all time, even to this day. Here's to hoping! :D

My sig is empty for now. Well, I guess now it isn't, lol.

Okay-the majority of you won't like this, and I frankly don't care.

This is bad.

The gist I'm getting is that nobody ones to point the bad parts of this video/summary is because that would be biting the hand that feeds us: we just got BIONICLE back, and saying anything negative would detract from the fact that our wishes have been fulfilled.  

However, I have no such fear.

This does not have as strong of a base as the original 2001 story, and I have a nasty feeling that it won't improve to the point it was in 2010.  I want to justify this as forward thinking, but the more I try to convince myself of the fact, the more I realize I'd rather have the original story continued than new sets.

• Upvote 1

Dr. Kaboomski, P.H.D

The story we've gotten so far is pretty much just the 2001 story. I don't really think it's pettier at all--what does "honoring" mean, if not respecting and valuing them more? If the two were basically the most important people on the island, but one was considered more importanter than than the other...Note also that Makuta, while jealous, didn't necessarily do anything against his brother--he just tried to make himself stronger.

Well, true. But I still think it's more petty to betray someone because what they make is more popular that being honored more.

2xu8Ptu.png

What's with the idea (that at least two people have expressed so far) that people are only being positive about this because of some weird sense that we have to be or that we're all desperate to be satisfied with this or are scared or whatever? Is it really so hard to accept that some people aren't as nitpicky or negative about things? People legitimately like this. This just sounds like you're saying "you might all be too scared to say it, but I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING, and it sucks." That's really not the case, at all.

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 17

AXKP5KC.png

This is bad.

The gist I'm getting is that nobody ones to point the bad parts of this video/summary is because that would be biting the hand that feeds us: we just got BIONICLE back, and saying anything negative would detract from the fact that our wishes have been fulfilled.  

This does not have as strong of a base as the original 2001 story, and I have a nasty feeling that it won't improve to the point it was in 2010.  I want to justify this as forward thinking, but the more I try to convince myself of the fact, the more I realize I'd rather have the original story continued than new sets.

tbh whether or not Bionicle's story "improved" through to 2010 is an incredibly subjective statement a lot of people could argue the other way around 

but otherwise, this story basically is the 2001 story... like... in almost every way, just Makuta and his brother aren't opposing spirits/concepts. 

oh

and they're both sleeping

Edited by Kitania
  • Upvote 1

I just wanted to point out that although they have confirmed it is a "reboot", it doesn't mean this can't be set in the same canon but never directly reference it.

Firstly, it is "a long time ago", which would be more recent than "a time before time". It could be sufficiently long after the MU events that the Matoran and Agori have fused into one population, and forgotten the true details of history as the Matoran did after leaving Metru Nui.

Secondly, this island where they have been living peacefully could easily be where they settled after their hunt for a home on Spherus Magna.

Thirdly, Ekimo could be a villager who somehow inherited the Mask of Creation a long time after it left Artakha's possession. Remember he was about to be murdered by a Great Being when BIONICLE ended in 2010 anyway...

Fourthly, and most interestingly, Makuta is golden and has a "Mask of Control". Coincidentally, (or not!) that is a close description of the Golden Skinned Being, who was created from many beings plus TERIDAX'S ANTIDERMIS and had the power to instantly enslave the Toa Mahri. That the Being only contains part of Teridax's substance would explain why it only remembered the name "Makuta" - its mind and memories are incomplete. It remembered its original goal to help the people, so became a Mask Maker with Ekimo, but Teridax's nature meant he soon became jealous...

Finally, as with Mata Nui and Makuta, Ekimo and Makuta are called "brothers" to mean "equals", not necessarily biologically related or even similar life forms.

tl;dr Nothing so far stops this being a canonical (far-future) continuation but which never mentions past events. In fact the description of Makuta is so close to the Golden Skinned Being, and so far from Teridax's original form, that it seems like a purposeful choice to allow the new story to still fit with the old.

Edited by Xelphene
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Yeah, but if you're going to do a completely brand new location and story and several new characters with no relation to the old story, why use old characters, other than for the sake of old fans? It just seems like it would make more sense to come up with a completely new cast rather than mix the old and the new, especially when the old has almost no connection to their former selves beyond a couple of stock personality traits.

rahkshi_symbol.png

Keep in mind, everyone, that if you were 13 years younger, you most likely wouldn't see this video as "kiddy-ish". ;)

Exactlly, the whole slumber thing in the first story was just a "spell" or something, thsi time, Mata-Nui literally smack Makuta across the face with a hammer and an explosion happens. That's way less kiddy than a spell.

Bionicle for 2015.

I just wanted to point out that although they have confirmed it is a "reboot", it doesn't mean this can't be set in the same canon but never directly reference it.

Firstly, it is "a long time ago", which would be more recent than "a time before time". It could be sufficiently long after the MU events that the Matoran and Agori have fused into one population, and forgotten the true details of history as the Matoran did after leaving Metru Nui.

Secondly, this island where they have been living peacefully could easily be where they settled after their hunt for a home on Spherus Magna.

Thirdly, Ekimo could be a villager who somehow inherited the Mask of Creation a long time after it left Artakha's possession. Remember he was about to be murdered by a Great Being when BIONICLE ended in 2010 anyway...

Fourthly, and most interestingly, Makuta is golden and has a "Mask of Control". Coincidentally, (or not!) that is a close description of the Golden Skinned Being, who was created from many beings plus TERIDAX'S ANTIDERMIS and had the power to instantly enslave the Toa Mahri. That the Being only contains part of Teridax's substance would explain why it only remembered the name "Makuta" - its mind and memories are incomplete. It remembered its original goal to help the people, so became a Mask Maker with Ekimo, but Teridax's nature meant he soon became jealous...

Finally, as with Mata Nui and Makuta, Ekimo and Makuta are called "brothers" to mean "equals", not necessarily biologically related or even similar life forms.

tl;dr Nothing so far stops this being a canonical continuation but which never mentions past events. In fact the description of Makuta is so close to the Golden Skinned Being, and so far from Teridax's original form, that it seems like a purposeful choice to allow the new story to still fit with the old.

I am like almost 100% sure that even if they were going to leave this open to be related to the original story, it wouldn't have anything to do with weird serial-only things like the golden skinned being or the whole thing with any of the serials that started after Bionicle ended, with Velika and the murderings and such. Trying to explain that to new fans at any point would be disastrous. .

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

Yeah, but if you're going to do a completely brand new location and story and several new characters with no relation to the old story, why use old characters, other than for the sake of old fans? It just seems like it would make more sense to come up with a completely new cast rather than mix the old and the new, especially when the old has almost no connection to their former selves beyond a couple of stock personality traits.

Well, you've got a point there. I guess we'll see how much is alike when we learn more information.

• Upvote 1

This is bad.

Actually, I don't find much I don't like. This is basically 2001 all over again. Yes, the animation is rather offputting, but I thought the same thing of the Mata Nui Stone and Makuta Stone animation from the MNOG. The characters are familiar and the setting is also. The plotline is almost exactly what we had in 2001. The main exceptions I see are: 1) Both of the "brothers" are asleep instead of just one, 2) we know exactly how they ended up that way, and 3) we know what both of them looked like. (We didn't know Makuta had a true form until 2003, and of course, Mata Nui's true form was one of the best kept secrets in all of BIONICLE.

In fact, it makes me wonder why you say that it "does not have as strong of a base as the original 2001 story." We knew almost nothing about the true nature of anything in the BIONICLE universe in 2001. Even after that, most of the BIONICLE world and its inhabitants were a mystery until MoL came out. And that nasty feeling of yours is a subjective feeling. There's nothing in the video that points the story in one direction or the other. We are at the exact same point we were in 2001.

To be fair, in 2001, the only personality the Toa really had were stock personality traits. Kopaka is a cold loner, Tahu a hothead. You can't expect the characters to be totally developed after a <2 min. video.

Also, I don't think we can really call this a brand new location and story. Okoto is basically Mata Nui all over again, though the stylized art makes it seem different. The story is also very similar to 2001, with a few changes which, at this point, don't alter the plot dramatically. The only one of those "several new characters" we've actually seen is Ekinu (however it's spelled), who is more of a hybrid of Artahka and Mata Nui. It's quite obviously a rehash of 2001, but this time, I think they will make a greater effort to keep BIONICLE accessible to new fans.

How well will you die?

Sorry, Greg's confirmed it's definitely a reboot.

I actually agree, though, that you can choose to see it your way in a headcanon way. If that helps you enjoy it better, more power to ya! ^_^

It's just not what LEGO has in mind.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

True, but they attribute it to parallel universes and don't completely discard the old universes like LEGO did herein.