The Legend of BIONICLE

I'm confused... Why reuse a handful of old characters in a completely unrelated story only to change parts of who they are?

Franchises do this all the time. There must be 500 different versions of Spider-Man. All the stories are pretty much different, but the characters retain their names and general personalities.

True, but they attribute it to parallel universes and don't completely discard the old universes like LEGO did herein.

Yes, well... given that Bionicle had a bunch of alternate universes people enjoy whining about, I guess you can assume that this reboot is once again another alternate universe.

• Upvote 2

I'm sort of echoing both sides of this conversation right now - I'm really excited to see this, but at the same time, it's just...

Hum.

No Mata Nui? Why? (Especially, as others have said, since Makuta's name hasn't changed (sub-parenthesis: I love that it is just "Makuta").)

And Artahka's name isn't the same. (If it's even technically Artahka (any more than wearing the MoC), anyway.)

And apparently masks only let you control the element they have power over? So, I guess, Kanohi are no more?

And, of course, the animation. I don't really mind it for this first-story-bit thing, since it's covering somewhat "mythological" style stuff, and the style (at least, to me) is somewhat cave-drawing-ish, but I hope they do more of the original-style animation stuff. In my opinion, this seems a bit more... kid-y? Or something. I don't mean to put it down, or anything, I just mean that the style seems more like the kind of animation popular in shows for kids around ~5 years old or something.

(oh also apparently makuta is sauron now)

I hear you. I pretty much had the same reaction to the video. I like the reboot-ish feel, but I also fell like it's a different animal than what we're used to. And I don't know if I'll enjoy it.

That being said, I recognize that it's not aimed at me, so I can get over it. I'm just glad BIONICLE is back and more people can come to enjoy it. :)

Yeah, and don't get me wrong - I'm seriously excited, and I know they weren't really targeting it to us (although, no doubt, there will be certain "nods" of sorts to things that we will get).

I was just taking a bit of a critical look at it. Honestly, though, aside from strictly storyline stuff (which still doesn't bother me that much), what I'm most upset about is that apparently masks aren't "Kanohi" anymore, nor do they have, well, Kanohi powers.

Seriously, though, I'm so excited.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I'm confused... Why reuse a handful of old characters in a completely unrelated story only to change parts of who they are?

Franchises do this all the time. There must be 500 different versions of Spider-Man. All the stories are pretty much different, but the characters retain their names and general personalities.

True, but they attribute it to parallel universes and don't completely discard the old universes like LEGO did herein.

What the heck does that even mean? Does the fact that the new story is a reboot somehow invalidate the fact that the original story happened? How exactly has it been "discarded?" Whether the new Bionicle happened or not, the old story was never going to go anywhere else, and it's still not going anywhere. It'll always be there, and the fact that the new story seems to be unrelated has no effect on the other story.

• Upvote 4

AXKP5KC.png

On the other hand, when DC Comics did their "New 52" thing, it was a reboot of the main DC universe and even DC's alternate universes, like Earth-2. It's not unprecedented.

But, as many have said, you can always interpret this story as an AU. BIONICLE's main story always left that as a possibility.

Also, to those who are concerned that they don't call the masks Kanohi--I'm guessing that the word "kanohi" will still be canon, but will not be used as often in advertising as the word "masks". Similar to how the Toa are called "masters" in their titles, but "toa" in their bios.

How well will you die?

Wow. There is a lot of ... um... poor word choices amongst the stronger opinions in this thread. Just keep in mind that just because someone has a different opinion, it does not invalidate your own and vice versa. People can legitimately like/dislike the reboot without ignoring any part of it.

As for my own opinion, the reboot is not what I was expecting, but that isn't a bad thing.

I always imagined that Bionicle would return with a TV show that retold the original story while smoothing out some of the rougher edges. All of this would be supported by a toy line with improved engineering and had toys that were easily identifiable as the old characters.

So far, the toys have heals no disappointments for me (though I wish that the HF build would have hade more armor variety at this point in its life cycle). The story, while not what I was expecting, has me excited because it means that we will be exploring new material.

My only major disappointment is that there is currently no plans for a TV series.

On another note, several more of these shorts have been confirmed. I am sort of worried that this art style will not be able to portray a we'll put together fight scene.

• Upvote 2

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Eeeek, this is all so exciting! Really quite liking the story thus far, although I'm extremely dissapointed in the fact that the only villain we're getting in the first wave is a big spider... but that's just because I hate Earth-based animal designs in fictional worlds. 

I'm hoping we get these masks of power in sets somehow. Maybe they've envisaged this reboot as a trilogy, and each year will focus on a different mask of the three. Obviously it's the Mask of Creation next year, and hopefully we'll get it in a set in the summer. And then the other masks will follow suit in the following years.

Edited by Gagali

On the other hand, when DC Comics did their "New 52" thing, it was a reboot of the main DC universe and even DC's alternate universes, like Earth-2. It's not unprecedented.

But, as many have said, you can always interpret this story as an AU. BIONICLE's main story always left that as a possibility.

I figured I'd just do that. Took me a while to properly clear my head. I'm not in my happy place :P

I can already feel the fanfic ideas flowing through my soul.  :P

• Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I just wanted to point out that although they have confirmed it is a "reboot", it doesn't mean this can't be set in the same canon but never directly reference it.

Sorry, Greg's confirmed it's definitely a reboot.

I actually agree, though, that you can choose to see it your way in a headcanon way. If that helps you enjoy it better, more power to ya! ^_^

It's just not what LEGO has in mind.

I'd appreciate it if you had a link to where Greg said that, as I haven't read it yet. But assuming he just says "it is a reboot", that could mean reboot in the sense that it is something being restarted, as in it is not a continuation of Greg's unfinished serials. The word "reboot" doesn't automatically mean "whole new universe" - it could just mean "we don't want to mention old storylines at all so that new fans don't feel they have to try to learn them all", which is what I would imagine LEGO would go for.

Anyway, I've always ranted on about the Golden Skinned Being, but as it is a serial-only character I understand why few other people share my enthusiasm. But it is clear from the serials that it was formed by Teridax and includes his antidermis, so it would be a likely way for Teridax to have survived defeat in an altered form.

I just wonder why LEGO would have made the new Makuta like his poorly-known, most recent old-canon form; rather than basing him on his iconic, well-known 2001 form. Wouldn't a complete reboot favour the latter, not the former?

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I am slightly suprised that quite a few seem to dislike the animated cartoon style. What strikes me most is the fact that the cartoon style is considered to be too childish. But has anyone thought about how MNOG, which seduced so many of us into the fascinating world of BIONICLE back then, featured a cartoon style as well? Why would the cartoon style have to be a point of criticism?

Also, while many have pointed out that they would have preferred CGI animations as they were produced for the original BIONICLE by Ghost, I would even go so far as to say that the cartoon style featured in the animation is far more suitable for this BIONICLE reboot than Ghost's CGI animation style. Firstly, because it gives this reboot a very distinctive style, contributing to the fresh feeling that most people seem to be praising. And secondly, because the cartoon style blends perfectly with the CCBS.

Finally, has anyone seen the cartoon versions of the Toa? I dare say the look pretty awesome. ^^

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 4

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I am so excited, you would not believe. I was watching the BZP twitter feed as it was happening and I almost cried right there in the computer labs. This animation was lovely, they managed to build this whole new Bionicle world in less than two minutes and I am already hooked. Premise is lovely, I can't wait to see more. It had a really strong ancient culture vibe, which I loved. I'm studying the history of ancient civilizations and this really resonated with what I'm learning. They really worked hard to make a coherent unique product and I think it really shows. I really wanna see more of Okoto, it's beautiful. I dare say it's better than Mata Nui, just 'cause it looks slightly more advanced and urbanized to an extent and I'm SO EXCITED AAAHHHHHHHH

I'm betting all my widgets that Lewa gets the Mask of Shadows ULTIMATE POWER and suffers horribly from it. It's one tradition they simply can't break even in a reboot.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I am slightly suprised that quite a few seem to dislike the animated cartoon style. What strikes me most is the fact that the cartoon style is considered to be too childish. But has anyone thought about how MNOG, which seduced so many of us into the fascinating world of BIONICLE back then, featured a cartoon style as well? Why would the cartoon style have to be a point of criticism?

I think a very large portion of it is just it being "something different". Personally, I'd prefer the old kind of animation, but that's probably because that's just what I'm used to.

Also, I think this kind of animation and the kind of animation in MNOG are a bit different - this is blockier, in a way, with more "odd angles", sort of. I see where you're drawing the corollary, though.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

While at first I did not like the animation, it's starting to grow on me a lot. I can defiantly see the influence from MNOG, which helps. Also, THE OLD NARRATOR IS BACK! I was so sad when they got rid of him for the Glatorian years. Story-wise, It's similar enough to maintain that "Bionicle-feel", yet different enough to give us a brand-new story with brand-new mysteries. I'm only worried that they'll try to put too much humor into it, it didn't really work the last time they tried in Bionicle (tlr). I hope wee see some CGI animations along with this. I think we will, since you want to closely resemble the sets when advertizing in commercials.

Overall, I'm hyped!

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

I cannot stop watching this!

You just know it is BIONICLE, when it has a narrator like that!

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

It's not just Bionicle that's doing the "new characters with the same names and looks" thing, Transformers does it all the time. Which I guess also leads to lots of people complaining, so that's just a natural part of the cycle. The returning narrator is wonderful, though.

I have mixed feelings, but mostly positive. I'm not sure about the whole "2015 Mata Nui and Makuta - equivalents were just regular villagers" thing, I feel like the "fighting an ancient force of evil" angle from 2001 was a more compelling story. I wouldn't mind Makuta being a more sympathetic villain, though-- those are always fun.

It looks like LEGO's got three years of this planned out, assuming we're hunting for one mask a year. This year we're looking for the Mask of Creation, next few years we get Control and Ultimate Power. Judging from the black flamey things surrounding it, the mask of Ultimate Power might be inherently evil? Plot twist: Lord of the Skull Spiders is the mask of Ultimate Power gone ambulatory

Plot twist: Lord of Skull Spiders is not the mask of Ultimate Power. Rather, it is one of the maskwraiths who is hunting for the one inconspicuous Defender with hairy feet who has been entrusted with the mask by the Turaga Ganda-I mean Vakama. Meanwhile, the obsessed creature Vezon trails behind them, hunting for the Precious.

• Upvote 3
How well will you die?

It's just like old times - story update topics getting pages before I even get there. 

Anyone else feeling reminded of the legend of the First Spinjitzu Master?

-Gata signoff.png

Me too. 

I would've preferred ghost-type animation instead of the cartoonish approach, but it works well enough.

I sincerely hope that the Matoran (or defenders) have other relevance besides meditating on poles.

Agreed. 

LewaLew, you shouldn't confuse negativity with closed-mindedness. I for one find it odd that so many people are celebrating a "return" that can more accurately be described as an obvious publicity stunt. Loosely basing what is clearly a brand new series (and a much more childish one at that) on an old one for the sake of cashing in on people's general awareness of the original series is, yes, a logical and solid commercial approach, but definitely not something a true BIONICLE "fan" ought to be worshiping as an awesome (?!) new direction. Because it simply isn't. It's LEGO making money off of people's gullibility.

Gulibility implies that they are withholding information that will bite us later. Why do we have any evidence to believe that?

I think if they put effort into making a BIONICLE TV show, it will probably be CG. When was the last time you saw a licensed cartoon show use hand-drawn animation, particularly for a toy series?

MLP: FiM. 

I don't mind the animation. What irks is that HF got slick CGI while this doesn't. I think it might be to establish an ancient "legendary" feel for this one video, though. That I approve of 100%. :)

Fourthly, and most interestingly, Makuta is golden and has a "Mask of Control". Coincidentally, (or not!) that is a close description of the Golden Skinned Being, who was created from many beings plus TERIDAX'S ANTIDERMIS and had the power to instantly enslave the Toa Mahri. 

The gaseous cloud that made the Golden Fusion was confirmed as not antidermis and was confirmed as Zaktan. There was no antidermis involved.  

As for anything else, warhammers and Mask of Ult. Power are rad cool. Beats kohlii stick, eh Makuta?

Edited by fishers64

First, I really hope they'll have some sort of sort cameo from Classic BIONICLE, just for fan service.  They could possibly accomplish this with an Olmak or something like that.

I really enjoy how everyone here loves the direction the new story is taking, because the people over at the LMBs are really whining about it, for some reason.

TheGeekIgnika, the caffeinated cyber-ninja.  Or just some idiot with a computer.  You choose.

If I sounded like a geek in this

post, you are correct.

"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection.  It means never having to play it cool about about how much you like something.  It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult.  Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

99% of BZPower has grown out of this pointless fad. If you're part of the 1% willing

to cling to it out of an irrational pseudo-nostalgia, copy and paste this into your signature!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  Even me.

Eugghh... I knew there was going to be a catch.

Don't get me wrong; re-imaginings are an important -if not essential- component of storytelling in large franchises. But between having the budget-friendly Flash animation, the overly cutesy character bios, and the level of depth in backstory equating to that of a Disney sitcom... well, I've seen more impressive spreads.

I can't shake the feeling that LEGO is grooming the next generation of bronies, and we're all to be witness to the ensuing carnage.

Prepare yourselves, brothers and sisters. Winter is coming. And it smells like neck beards and teen angst.

Awesome video! I love the animation in there. It reminds me of these pencil-drawn animations from two TV series, Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesome-ness and the 2013 Teen Titans Go! TV series. :)

It's like 2001 again, but looks newer. Okoto looks kind of similar to the island of Mata Nui. Teridax is back as being called Makuta again. Ekimu reminds me of Mata Nui and Artakha. The "endless slumber" thing happens again, too. I am starting to feel that this is most likely a reboot.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Ah yes, I forgot about MLP. Then again, that show seems to be the exception to every rule.

I dearly hope this enthusiasm keeps up. I've been pessimistic about BIONICLE's possible return ever since I first saw someone complain about Hero Factory when we only had a teaser image.

It would be wise for us to keep in mind that, at this point, we only have a <2 min. teaser video and some character bios. We still don't know a lot about what this new BIONICLE is going to be.

How well will you die?

I can't shake the feeling that LEGO is grooming the next generation of bronies, and we're all to be witness to the ensuing carnage.

Prepare yourselves, brothers and sisters. Winter is coming. And it smells like neck beards and teen angst.

This might be the weirdest thing I've seen said about 2015 Bionicle. Like. Just. I don't understand what this has to do with anything revealed recently about Bionicle. At all.

• Upvote 5

AXKP5KC.png

This is one wack alternate universe, but man, I'm excited! IMO the island and whole city vibe are much better, and I'm glad to see some physical variation in our OG characters.

It's good to be back guys, and it's good to see 22 users on a topic. it reminds me of the old days. Welcome new members, bask in the greatness/clusterfunk that is BZP.

Cherish it, love it, respect it. :)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Honestly, all the small story details we are getting sound cool, but I'm going to reserve judgement until it actually gets started.

Looking back, Lego had three big story themes after Bionicle.

Hero factory was always kinda meh with story, and kinda just fizzled out by the end of its run.

Ninjago seemed like any other generic lego theme at first, but it EXPLODED. With storytelling some have hailed as "The true Bionicle successor," and was wildly successful.

Chima had a strong start, with excellent world building, interesting charactors, and even constraction figures! But then the first TV show came out. Chima's reputation plummeted. While it has gotten a lot better since then, it is nowhere near as popular as Ninjago.

My hope? Lego has hopefully learned from their mistakes and victories and will use this knowledge to make Bionicle 2.0 great.

On a different note, I would find it amusing if Vezon popped up for a cameo, as long as it has no real storyline significance.

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

Bronies? Whut?If anything, this series seems to be less heavy on the "power of friendship unity" theme than the original, since it's implied that the Toa get along pretty well from the get-go, unlike the originals who started out wanting little to do with each other and had to learn a Very Important Lesson. Might be more lighthearted and comedic, but a healthy dose of comedy is the norm for most kids' media these days.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I honestly like the design of Okoto more than Mata Nui, with all the fancy ruins and such. And I like the Ekimu-Makuta scenario more than the Mata Nui- Makuta scenario.

Overall, I think this has the potential to be even better than the OG story. Also super pumped for the sets, too.

I'm not even sure how this could remotely compare to the bronie scenario. I'm not sure how it popped up, either.

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

I think if they put effort into making a BIONICLE TV show, it will probably be CG. When was the last time you saw a licensed cartoon show use hand-drawn animation, particularly for a toy series?

MLP: FiM. 

I don't mind the animation. What irks is that HF got slick CGI while this doesn't. I think it might be to establish an ancient "legendary" feel for this one video, though. That I approve of 100%.

Don't mean to be nitpicky, but Friendship is Magic is technically still CG, as it's made in Flash. It's 2D, yeah, but it's not hand-drawn, or at least not drawn by paper, lol. But maybe you still count that, as it definitely is a hand-drawn style.

A Bionicle show would be awesome, IMO, as long as it's not TOO terribly cheesy. Yeah, the old movies were cheesy as heck too, but at least they had excellent atmosphere. (Well, the original three did anyways. :P)

My sig is empty for now. Well, I guess now it isn't, lol.

Between spending 5 minutes on tumblr and looking at what LEGO has released so far, the situation is fertile for Bionicle becoming integrated into the greater hipster-o-sphere, which would really suck. Not to mention, people here are already trying to name an organized fandom; if there's even still any ambiguity on the subject, fandoms really only serve to invite people looking to make a social networking fashion statement.

My concern isn't so much with what the new Bionicle apparently is (I'm not too impressed, to be entirely honest), so much as I'm worried about what will become associated with it, hence what the entirety of the franchise will become associated with.

Edited by renaldohoek