The Legend of BIONICLE

I’ve been looking at all of the rumors and speculations about the new Bionicle franchise from a distance.

Now after seeing the Bionicle webpage, I had some glimmer of hope that it might be a continuation, but now that I see that it's a reboot I'm left kind of with mixed feelings.  A part of me likes that they are making a comeback and the new story is intriguing, but another part of me misses the old Bionicle as well.  Oh well.  I guess I'll continue what I have been doing and continue watching this new story unfold like I did with the speculations: at a distance without at too much sway either way.

Best of luck Lego!  I hope you bring in a new generation of Bionicle fans!

Seems legit.

comet.jpg

Who wants to play Kolhii?

Has anyone else noticed that when Makuta forges the "Mask of Ultimate Power" his face lights up with all 6 element colors?

Well, judging by the previous statement in the video, he was probably trying to make a mask that contained all six elemental powers. The cue with the colors would be a good way to visually symbolize that.

• Upvote 4
BZPRPG

I admit I wish we had gotten a continuation but I understand how that wouldn't work. I'll try to be open-minded about this reboot, while still treasuring the old continuity. I hope that the new continuity eventually becomes as rich and intriguing as what the old world of Bionicle had grown into. I think that's what I'll miss, all that established canon. Not that starting from scratch is all bad, but I can't help but be nostalgic, and I also wish that we hadn't been left hanging on the final serials of old Bionicle.

• Upvote 2

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I'm... not too sure would like this. But I know for a fact my little cousins would.

The problem is that I grew up with that complex story that Bionicle 2001-2010 had. I understood all those intricacies because that world drove me to know more. A complete reboot is likely not going to be for any of us, because of that very reason. I like that the series is coming back, but I am going to be very cautious around this reboot.

The reboot is meant to draw young kids in just like how 2001 drew us in. I hope Lego can do that. They've sure done it before.

On the other hand... it's just Makuta again. That is just the best.

Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.

Dang! Looks really cool, I'm so glad... seems like a nice mix of new stuff with going back to basics. Just had to come back here and comment on it, for old time's sake! :)

old bionicle person

If anyone wants to find me again I'm mostly on tumblr as kidcrimefighter/kidcrimedoer!

Pretty sure we can all agree to that.

One thing, though, like apart from Makuta, do you think they'll keep some of the older names(Toa, Matoran, etc)? And i know this is a reboot, but I wonder what connections this mask of creation has to Artakha's.

The website does call them Toa, so there's no worry of that being gone. And according to some of the stuff reported from NYCC, terms like Kanohi and other stuff is still around, but it won't be used in promotional material as much, so as to keep things from being too alienating.

Apparently it's also been confirmed that there are no Matoran or Turaga on Okoto, though.

AXKP5KC.png

I'd appreciate it if you had a link to where Greg said that

I just posted the quote in the Compendium. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I honestly prefer having this style to having CG in the same vein as the Hero Factory episodes.

Yes, CGI is the ~way of the future~ and all, but one way the HF show's style pales in comparison to this is that the HF show is pretty much just the sets articulated into 3D models. Meanwhile, these are stylized and filled with a unique character. I said it in the main BIO2015 topic, but something about the shapes and such reminds me of cartoons like Samurai Jack. The shapes and lines have a lot of strength and character to them. And honestly, as far as flash animation goes, this is actually pretty well-animated. It could have been like a PBS cartoon or the CAD animated series, but there's definitely well-honed animation skills at work here.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got fight scenes many times cooler than they would have been if they had gone with CGI.

IDK I understand this style might not be everyone's cup of tea, but to me, this is better than I ever could have hoped for. Especially since some of the backgrounds are simply gorgeous.

• Upvote 5

I wonder if we'll get a better name for the "mask of ultimate power", or at least say what it does more specifically. Until then, we'll just have to abbreviate it as MOUP, which sounds kind of ridiculous. The Mask of Control, however, sounds awesome :)

We could always call it the "One Mask."

• Upvote 2
How well will you die?

I’ve been looking at all of the rumors and speculations about the new Bionicle franchise from a distance.

Now after seeing the Bionicle webpage, I had some glimmer of hope that it might be a continuation, but now that I see that it's a reboot I'm left kind of with mixed feelings.  A part of me likes that they are making a comeback and the new story is intriguing, but another part of me misses the old Bionicle as well.  Oh well.  I guess I'll continue what I have been doing and continue watching this new story unfold like I did with the speculations: at a distance without at too much sway either way.

Best of luck Lego!  I hope you bring in a new generation of Bionicle fans!

It's a soft reboot. There have been hints at it being connected to the previous continuity via the Mask of Time in some fashion. 

I wonder if we'll get a better name for the "mask of ultimate power", or at least say what it does more specifically. Until then, we'll just have to abbreviate it as MOUP, which sounds kind of ridiculous. The Mask of Control, however, sounds awesome :)

I will forever call it the MOUP now, oh my god. "Hey Pomegranate what's that you're playing with?" "...moup" :P

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

OH

OH NO

EVERYONE'S GOING INSANE AND BASHING THEIR HEADS INTO THE WALLS

GUYS I THOUGHT WE CALMED DOWN DURING HERO FACTORY

GUYS

GUYS NO

*ahem*

More on topic, I'm incredibly hyped for this! So many new possibilities! Not a big fan of the style, admittedly, (I think it would work better if the black lines were smaller, for whatever reason), but still excited!

I think one of the more interesting bits is that Makuta is in an eternal sleep as well this time around, and is actually a more sympathetic character IMO. Instead of trying to take over the universe, his plan was to forge the ultimate mask because his brother had a better track record. Selfish, yes, but he at least didn't intend to cause any of the destruction he did.

Unless of course they pull a Teridax on us and reveal he planned for everything, in which case disregard the above.

• Upvote 1

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I really like the general premise they've gone with and the style of the setting and story - very similar to original Mata Nui, but different enough to feel separate and unique. It does seem odd they re-used Makua and the Toa names but not Mata Nui, but I'm happy enough with the new names/characters they've used. I actually might have preferred it if they'd used a different name instead of Makuta. :P Must also say I really liked the animation/visual style of the video and hope we see more media of that sort throughout the year (I prefer the cartoon kind of style over the CGI sort of style). :)

As for the story itself I really like the fact there's those three "legendary" masks it seems and the origin behind the one Makuta created. I also really really really really hope we get a game (RPG? :D ) set in Okoto and get to see the villages and lives interactively like with the previously online games. Overall I'm quite excited as I think this setup has a lot of potential.

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

So apparently they went with this style of animation to harken back to MNOG and the early online animations. This makes me hope that they will release a similar online game for the reboot. Though OOG doesn't have the same ring as MNOG.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I was in class today frantically refreshing my Facebook feed, Twitter feed, and the Bionicle Reddit page as all this information came pouring out. I knew what was coming from the leaks (couldn't resist!), but I was nevertheless surprised by a lot of revelations today.

I'll admit that I was disappointed about a couple of things. The story being a "soft reboot" and not involving Mr. Farshtey is definitely the biggest one, and up until I found out a bit more, I actually thought it was going to be set in Artakha's realm when the original Toa were training under Hydraxon (my Bionicle knowledge is rusty, so correct me if I'm wrong!). From the updated Bionicle page, they have their original personalities back (e.g. Tahu is stubborn and hot-headed again unlike his current wise, humble self in the original story), the concept art looked like the world was a fallen, heaven-like realm, there's the whole thing with the Mask of Creation belonging to Artakha, and - this was one of the best indicators - I forgot that Jovan was called a "Master" of magnetism, so since the new Toa are "Masters," well, you can see why I thought the story was going to continue! Alas, that is not so. Although I think Lego is making a bad decision by ignoring the wealth of lore and possibilities they could've drawn from the existing story. I mean, seriously, you could just make a story set 1000 years or so after Bara Magna was restored that pleases the hardcore story fans by tying back to other stuff while being separated enough from the backstory and lore so that others don't need to read up on anything to understand what's going on. But if they end up making this a multiverse thing with this Bionicle story being one of the many universes tied to the established universe, that would be all kinds of epic right there (a crossover event or two in the future books, anyone?).

However, rebooting the story has its postive factors and merits. The new creative team doesn't have to worry about all the baggage of being true to the established story and adhering to it, which could have stifled creativity to some degree. Secondly, as someone who is well versed in the storyline but has forgotten a lot of stuff, it's strangely relieving that I can look at Bionicle with fresh eyes...in a way, it's like I'm in a strange alternate universe situation that's like, "What if Bionicle turned out this way and was never released when I was a kid?" Might not make sense (ha ha), but what I mean is that the premise is similar to the 2001 version and reuses character names and concepts; I like how the new team is drawing from what's already done to give old fans things to recognize while also giving them and new audiences a surprise that will intrigue all of us: a new beginning. Man, I saw some of the things they said and showed about respecting what has made Bionicle great (concept art that harks back to original sets, they put a picture up of MNOLG, etc.) and how they're really trying to build on that while doing something excitingly unique. That's so cool!

I'm a bit worried about some of the banal details in the cartoon trailer (The Mask of Ultimate Power...really?) and the Hero Factory vibe I got from watching it (please don't be corny and kiddish like Hero Factory...sorry to be blunt, but that's what I think :lookaround:) , but I can dig the art style in it and the setting for the island, which looks marvelous in some shots.

As for the sets, I'm a bit put off by their bulkiness and large single pieces (like on the chest). Gali, Lewa, and Onua also look so-so. But man, I'll admit that some of their aspects are awesome (Lewa's axes and Onua's hammers for the win), and can I be backed up when I say that Tahu, Kopaka, and Pohatu look AMAZING in nearly every way? I may be a bigger fan of the smaller pieces used for Bionicle sets in the past, but hey, the huge armor and weapons work for the new sets; I'll definitely be making these the first Lego sets I've purchased since a couple of years ago! Man...my wallet is not ready.

Anyway, I should probably stop my rant there. Probably didn't make sense in a couple of places.  :P It's just been so long since I've talked about Bionicle, so I have a lot to say about it since no one outside of BZPower cares about it as much as I do! Oh, and I have to leave this here for humorous purposes. As soon as I saw Onua, I had to make this...

L3lAxmW.jpg

The presence of a being called Makuta automatically makes this a total reboot with a brand new canon. The people of Spherus Magna in the Genwunner canon would NEVER use that name again after Teridax disgraced it!

Unless this Makuta is a Great Being and the Makuta species was named after him? As if.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I'm a little surprised, but I for one actually am in favor for the reboot. It's just like in comics there newer reimaginings of familiar characters, I mean if it is old enough to be reimagined by the company that means it has gained enough popularity.

Bionicle being as old as it is know can be rebooted with the benefit of being both new and nostalgic, which is good because it will now bridge the gap between two generations. To me it's like the reboot of Star Trek, or the Reboot of Star Wars continuity with Episode VII. So overall, it looks very good.

Who knows, they might be able to make a decent movie or tv show that has more deeper sense of mystical nostalgic atmosphere that both Hero Factory or that ninja whatever greatly lacked.

Besides, I kind of hated how the original story ended, because I hated everything after 2009, the agori were stupid both story wise and in looks. I always liked the 2001-2003 and the 2006-2009 because they focused on a main storyline. The 2004-2005 to me was pointless filler that kind of broke some of the mystical and nostalgic tribal feelings from earlier years.

Then there was 2010... a rather poorly made story arc that would have been good if it had interesting characters, or just used the main characters from the main story... led to a very disappointing movie that sucked more than the first three (which weren't that good, but at least the first one was more close to the original story and they had memorable music)...

I know they were trying to go back to the original tribal feeling, but the atmosphere was boring and it had no real villain and it was rushed. The only good story arc that happened was the fight between Mata-nui and Makuta, but again it was only interesting because it was about the original characters from the main story arc. Too bad they didn't just use characters from the main story to end the story...  but instead they had Tahu and Takanuva be present for a few minutes at the end, but that's about it? No one cares about any of the Agori or whatever they are called. It just didn't work, because they were just cheap rip offs of characters from the main story. 

So I'm glad they didn't go back to that boring mess of living on a boring planet with the main villain dead. The original story had an ending, even if that ending was rushed and poorly told, it was an ending to the main story and had closing. Makuta Teridax was dead and the planet was restored both literally and symbolically, with the moons "Unit" and "Duty" (Duty killed off the main villain) and the planet became their destiny. The end. 

So this reboot can be considered an alternative universe or whatever, but it is a new universe, I just hope they are smart enough to put references or nods to the original story, because that's how a good franchise should be treated, you know, like they do in DC comics or Marvel comics. 

I love the art style, very Samurai Jack and mini-series Star Wars Clone Wars (not that awful 3d one) feel to them, which adds to the nostalgia. (I really hope they just make a cartoon of it, and not that cheap 3d style like they did for Hero Factory, and if they make a movie... they better not just look like moving talking toys... I mean that worked for the Lego movie, but that's only because they were suppose to be made out of plastic toys.)

Edited by TrueshadowX01

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

The presence of a being called Makuta automatically makes this a total reboot with a brand new canon. The people of Spherus Magna in the Genwunner canon would NEVER use that name again after Teridax disgraced it!

Unless this Makuta is a Great Being and the Makuta species was named after him? As if.

...Greg Farshtey himself said this is a reboot. The new story team said this is a reboot. (A soft reboot of sorts, but they also confirmed it to be a different universe). Who else needs to say it to convince you?

I'm kind of excited for this reboot but I am quite sad as well. I traveled with the Toa since 2001. I watched, read and built their way to victory. I saw Kopaka being reborn on the beaches of Mata Nui, I read when Lewa gets corrupted by a Krana. I remember Tahu challenging Zaktan in a bladefight. I recall Gali Nuva fighting to gain her Kakama. My eyes were glued to the screen when I watched Pohatu save Hafu. I can still feel the despair when Onua's strength was siphoned by the Rahkshi. After so many adventures and challenges I almost feel as though a good friend has suddenly lost their memory. I understand that they needed to reboot the story to bring in more fans but I still feel resentful when they assign  "quirks" to these new Toa.  The original six already had relatable flaws that made them feel real. (and they were much more subtle and intriguing). Like I said, I am excited, but part of me will always be saddened that they didn't continue the stories of my childhood heroes. 

halo-reach-review-top.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that when Makuta forges the "Mask of Ultimate Power" his face lights up with all 6 element colors?

I wonder if someone other than Makuta will wear it at some point, as a pivotal part of the plot?

Interestingly enough, I got a serious Lord of the Rings vibe with this backstory. Someone replace the audio of this video with LotR quick

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

It's a soft reboot. There have been hints at it being connected to the previous continuity via the Mask of Time in some fashion. 

Which is all from TTV, a source questionable in the reliability department. :P

May I ask why it's questionable ? The info comes from members of the actual podcast, and IIRC, they did have VIP passes so they attended the VIP panel. They asked question directly to Lego panel members, and gave their answers, so I genuinely wonder why they are considered to be a questionable source.

-Iben

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

May I ask why it's questionable ? The info comes from members of the actual podcast, and IIRC, they did have VIP passes so they attended the VIP panel. They asked question directly to Lego panel members, and gave their answers, so I genuinely wonder why they are considered to be a questionable source.

-Iben

It seems wise to take a source that once said BZPower was responsible for the end of Bionicle with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 4

-Iben

Yeah, I've never been one to doubt TTV. They're pretty reliable for sources, and I don't doubt that the LEGO members said those things. Of course, it doesn't mean a soft reboot but I can see how they could make connections out the answers.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Wow that was a great video! I actually love the fact the Makuta is back, and this storyline that is coming really feels like the 2001 storyline, simple yet awe inspiring, find the Masks of Power and you will save the island!

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

-Iben

It seems wise to take a source that once said BZPower was responsible for the end of Bionicle with a grain of salt.

I honestly don't understand how this would even matter in the slightest bit, as they were present during the VIP Panel. I'm sorry, I don't want to bother with this kind of childish rivalry between sites ( I had more than enough of that in the ZT community ).

I'm sorry, but what happened in the past ( and what should probably stay in the past ), doesn't undermine the fact that they were able to ask questions to the VIP Panel and that they got their info straight from the source. It's only reasonable to assume that that info is indeed correct.

https://twitter.com/TheJonathanJuan/status/520290594531586048

Here they mention asking the question.

-Iben.

Edited by Iben

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

I...like it. Was a bit of a shock at first. The instant "noooo, it's different!" reaction tried to weigh in but, looking past that, it actually seems kind of cool. Reminds me a lot of 2001. Mysterious island, powerful sleeping figures, masks of power - yup. Seems cool.

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

I...like it. Was a bit of a shock at first. The instant "noooo, it's different!" reaction tried to weigh in but, looking past that, it actually seems kind of cool. Reminds me a lot of 2001. Mysterious island, powerful sleeping figures, masks of power - yup. Seems cool.

"Powerful sleeping figures"

yeah, Onua's pretty great. :v

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Someone mind telling me why everyone seems to hate the name Teridax? What's wrong with it, I think it's cool that Makuta was a species. they always used to call him THE Makuta, so it wasn't just his name.

It is in this new universe, but I'm just confused as to why people are so happy he's not called Teridax.

Interesting thing I found - the video file is hosted on a certain 'www.akamaihd.net'

This is, as far as I know, the first use of 'Akamai' since '02.

Couldn't find out info about the site, it's all access blocked.

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Someone mind telling me why everyone seems to hate the name Teridax? What's wrong with it, I think it's cool that Makuta was a species. they always used to call him THE Makuta, so it wasn't just his name.

It is in this new universe, but I'm just confused as to why people are so happy he's not called Teridax.

Because it's not as good as 'Makuta', because he doesn't need another name, it ruins the mystery, cheapens the character etc etc.

Never had a problem with it myself. Or at least, I got used to it quickly.

I'm also ok with him being called Makuta again. When his name was revealed, Bionicle had started explaining its mysteries. We're now back in mystery mode in what appears to be a reboot, so anything goes really!

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE 

Ok i'm done.

As a huge transformers fan, I don't mind the reboot, it's weird, I'll admit, but I still really like it.

I still wish akimu and makuta were a bit more than just OP villagers or something, the thing I liked about bionicle (which was ruined in 2010) is that there are god like creatures and spirits like Mata nui (Giant robot? Really?)

Anyway, 2015 can't come soon enough. My bank acccount is ready.