The Legend of BIONICLE

First of all, what is wrong with the revelations of the Mata Nui Bionicle Continuity? I thought they were awesome, and underneath all the info that came with the revelations is still a great mythology. The following is probably a Matoran's records of the events in Bionicle a few hundred years after the Battle of Bara Magna:

Long ago, in the time before time, the Great Beings created superpowered kings to rule in their place, but then a great war erupted. In hope to save Paradise, the Great Beings created a Great Spirit, one to study the many realms across the stars and eventually heal Paradise. The Great Spirit created Makuta and Warlord-Kings to rule and create in his place (like father like son). The warlord-kings rebelled, only to have the Makuta defeat them and they themselves rebelled in secrecy. After millenia these created-gods passed their own judgement upon their neglectful supreme creator and dethroned him via a spell of comatose slumber. A dark age and a process of godly ursurption began in the slumber's wake.

However, the stars foretold the return of 6 dutiful knights who would return their deity to power and awake him. Through many trials the knights proved themselves, and with the aid of other knights and the Great Spirit's agents of will, succeeded in both their mission, and the ursurption of their deity by the great malevolence the Makuta Supreme, sending him into exile to the war-torn remains of Paradise: his home. Becoming a knight himself the fallen lord regains his honor by aiding the people of Paradise against the Empire from the North and dueling a titanic duel with the great malevolence, the master of shadows and grand ursurper of the Great Spirit, the Makuta. With evil slain the mortalized god withdrew himself from being their diety and hero and became a symbolic watcher who will return when an evil as great as the fallen Makuta Supreme comes to the land and currently awaits the return of his creators.

Now tell me that does not sound like a mythological epic? Just fill in the details given to us about the revelations recieved. And as a reminder to those that continue to ignore this, Mata Nui's physical body being a gargantuan metallic titan with a universe in his body was planned even before Bionicle was adopted by Lego. {EDIT: Spoiler tags put in place.)

Now, on topic.
I am also disappointed about Lego's abandonment of their established mythos, but I will keep an eye on this new continuity to see how it develops. Combining the legends of Makuta Teridax and Mata Nui &Artakha and Karzhanhi is interesting. I enjoy 2D animation and is a nice change from the constant barrage of CGI stuff. Anyway, if I find a character to be intetestibg, I will be buying their set. Now to go to that other topic that shows the images of the new sets.

Edited by Iaredios
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

So much exciting news all at once!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Someone mind telling me why everyone seems to hate the name Teridax? What's wrong with it, I think it's cool that Makuta was a species. they always used to call him THE Makuta, so it wasn't just his name.

It is in this new universe, but I'm just confused as to why people are so happy he's not called Teridax.

I think it's because a lot of early characters had Maori based or sounding names and Teridax deviates pretty far from that. Also because we knew him as Makuta for so long, so it just seemed strange to suddenly start calling him something else.

:k::m_d:

turahk-1.png

"I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones.

But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole.

And the darkness cannot stand before me." -Kopaka

Oh god! Makuta again? Can't they find another villain? I mean there's not lack of them. For a start that murderer from the last stories ...

I'd rather not have Velika return. Also, I think this Makuta is Makuta in name only at this point- we only know he was the brother of Ekui, but was jealous of Ekui's skill and made his own hyper powerful mask, which took control over him. Ekui knocked it off of his face, scattering the masks and putting them in comas.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Okay, I'm calling this one right now: the "Skull Spiders" are actually ambulatory, semi-sentient masks, created by Makuta.

I just realized that late last night (from the fact that the spiders are clearly mask pieces, and there's no way that's not significant somehow), but I'm maybe 95% sure it's right.  

Edited by Solomon Kane

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Oh god! Makuta again? Can't they find another villain? I mean there's not lack of them. For a start that murderer from the last stories ...

I'd rather not have Velika return. Also, I think this Makuta is Makuta in name only at this point- we only know he was the brother of Ekui, but was jealous of Ekui's skill and made his own hyper powerful mask, which took control over him. Ekui knocked it off of his face, scattering the masks and putting them in comas.

Makuta was the best bad guy ever. He was the one thing ( aside from the Toa Mata/Nuva ) that I REALLY wanted to come back in Bionicle 2015's story. Of course, If it was just a continuation, I probably would have prefered Velika. I never did think it had a chance of being a continuation though...

Okay, I'm calling this one right now: the "Skull Spiders" are actually ambulatory, semi-sentient masks, created by Makuta.

I just realized that late last night (from the fact that the spiders are clearly mask pieces, and there's no way that's not significant somehow), but I'm maybe 95% sure it's right.  

You're not the first to theorize that. I think that's actually a really cool idea.

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

It's a soft reboot. There have been hints at it being connected to the previous continuity via the Mask of Time in some fashion. 

Which is all from TTV, a source questionable in the reliability department. :P

May I ask why it's questionable ? The info comes from members of the actual podcast, and IIRC, they did have VIP passes so they attended the VIP panel. They asked question directly to Lego panel members, and gave their answers, so I genuinely wonder why they are considered to be a questionable source.

-Iben

It seems wise to take a source that once said BZPower was responsible for the end of Bionicle with a grain of salt.

I honestly don't understand how this would even matter in the slightest bit, as they were present during the VIP Panel. I'm sorry, I don't want to bother with this kind of childish rivalry between sites ( I had more than enough of that in the ZT community ).

I'm sorry, but what happened in the past ( and what should probably stay in the past ), doesn't undermine the fact that they were able to ask questions to the VIP Panel and that they got their info straight from the source. It's only reasonable to assume that that info is indeed correct.

https://twitter.com/TheJonathanJuan/status/520290594531586048

Here they mention asking the question.

-Iben.

This is not from the panel, I know, I was there. At the panel they said multiple times (at least a dozen) that this is indeed a reboot. The term "soft reboot" was not used once in any panel discussion, any discussion at the VIP event at the LEGO store, and not in any interview BZP did with any BIONICLE team members. It seems from discussions with TTV guys on Eurobricks that this may be a bit of a misunderstanding of terminology with them and the BIONICLE team member they interviewed.

Also, to set the record, they did not all have VIP passes, one of them did, after creating multiple fake accounts on TBB to win one. Not necessarily wrong, but sketchy. The rest were let in when TLG had a bigger room than they had planned. Still, they seemed like nice guys so benefit of the doubt given here.

• Upvote 2

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I fail to see how this style mimics MNOLG in any way, shape, or form. MNOLG was very, very set-based with little to no stylization. They were less shiny and more detailed. Really, this resembles the more modern animation styles such as from Star Wars: Clone Wars. I really hate how Lego's trying to get more fans on board by referencing MNOLG.

I fail to see how this style mimics MNOLG in any way, shape, or form. MNOLG was very, very set-based with little to no stylization. They were less shiny and more detailed. Really, this resembles the more modern animation styles such as from Star Wars: Clone Wars. I really hate how Lego's trying to get more fans on board by referencing MNOLG.

It's not about trying to get old fans onboard. It's about this animation style taking inspiration from the advantages the MNOLG-style offered. Most Lego animations (including those done for the old Bionicle theme) are done with CGI, but they explained how the 2D, simplified animation style of the MNOLG allowed for a more expressive appearance for characters, without resorting to the "masks with moving mouths and eyebrows" look of the Bionicle movies. With the new animation style they can make subtle changes to the angle or shape of a character's eyes to change their expression while remaining true to the sets, or play with the perspective to emphasize an attack.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I had the thought too. It's kinda like Krana but they can actually move around on their own, or so it seems. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I would actually really dislike this, because this legend doesn't seem to be setting up a "pulling all the strings from behind the scenes" Makuta, but rather a Makuta who grew corrupt with power and had to be struck down, but someday may rise again, but in the MEANTIME, there's a mask of ultimate power on the island that ANY force of evil would love to get their hands, or claws, on.

I'd imagine what's significant about them being mask pieces is that they will clamp onto faces. whether it be for mind control purposes, corrupting purposes, or maybe even sucking life force purposes, I cannot say.

Of course, if they have mind control powers, then they're basically just Krana that can walk, which would be kinda disappointing.

No one else is massively disappointed by this? Toa aren't even really Toa, Matoran aren't even Matoran, masks are not the same as kanohi...

All we have is:

• A few bionicle character names
  • the same "elemental island with elemental factions" concept lego has loved for a long time (see slizers, roboriders, drome, etc - heck) which is not unique at all,
  • the general concepts of "masks of power"
  • the constraction style of building that has been around for two generations before bionicle
  • the bionicle name/logo

honestly, its just a marketing ploy to get parents to remember that their older kids loved "those bionicles robot legos" and get them to buy them for their younger kids. there's almost nothing in common. 

I was so excited for bionicle's return. this is a bad joke. 

teachandroid.jpg

whenlifegivesyoulemons.jpg

On the topic of Mata Nui, to all the people that think Otoko is his face again, I'm going to disagree. The plot was so awesome because it was a total surprise. Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me. 

I think the whole Reboot screams of a radically different plot, I just hope that they find someway to introduce new characters. If I see a Tahu 3.0, I'm going ballistic. 

Edited by Toa Of Anarchy
  • Upvote 1
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

Many of the Toa have some comical drawback or flaw. Kopaka is known for being clumsy (at times), Pohatu has a dislike for the dark, Onua being something like a sleepy teddy bear, ect. While some people might not like these, keep in mind that this is done to connect to a younger and newer generation. Also, there's the possibility for character development.

The Toa seem to be the inexperienced heroes again, almost like kids in a sense. Just as a little kid conquers his fear of the dark as he gets older, so can Pohatu. Just as a kid can learn to learn from his mistakes and mature, so can the heroes.

• Upvote 1

How... how can we judge it before it even begins? 

I know that this is BZPower - we judged everything. But BIONICLE 2015 is definitely BIONICLE.

We have masks, we have six heroes, we have an island. We have Makuta - and two 'brothers'

Didn't BIONICLE start out with the concept of collecting 'Masks of power'? As far as I am aware, in LEGO's themes, that is unique to BIONICLE alone. It's a reboot. Things will be the same, and things will be different. Terminology will be similar but different. The basic concept. however, I think, is the same. 

Don't even say there's nothing in common. Because there's a lot in common. There are differences - of course there are, it is a reboot, and that also means it is not likely to repeat 2001-2010.

BIONICLE 01 started out simple. So will this. But, hopefully, this will stay simple.

• Upvote 2

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

honestly, its just a marketing ploy to get parents to remember that their older kids loved "those bionicles robot legos" and get them to buy them for their younger kids.

Of course it is. That's exactly why I predicted it would return years ago. That's not a bad thing.

Without successful marketing strategies, you don't get anything. And even if the changes they make don't appeal to you (or me) personally (in some ways, I'm sure none of us absolutely hate all of it :P... but even if somebody does), it's good that kids in a new generation with different tastes get what they want. Please understand this -- is isn't for the parents. It's for the kids. :)

Most parents, I'm sure, understand that.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

By the way, has it been pointed out to you yet that the video has a Kanohi Vahi-esque cloud in the top left at about 0:56? (If I got the time stamp wrong, it's just before the bit where Makuta forges the mask.)

Wonder if it is just a coincidence, an Easter egg for older fans, or if it is hinting at a more major plot element...

PS Thanks for correcting me that the green cloud was Zaktan - I missed that somehow!

Still, Teridax created the Golden Skinned Being for a reason, and I think a reasonable explanation would be that it was a backup body just in case the MU sustained too much damage battling Mata Nui, and he needed something more robust to rule Bara Magna from.

[Wild speculation] But he hadn't planned on being utterly defeated, so it took a while to reform into an antidermis cloud and travel to where the Golden Skinned Being was. He was able to assume control of the Being, crushing its own consciousness, but he had lost a lot of antidermis on the way so his memories were incomplete. The strongest remaining memories were of his original task to watch over and assist the Matoran, so for a while he chose to forge masks for them alongside another villager, until his jealous nature overtook him once more... [End wild speculation]

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I'm glad they went for a reboot. This looks like a return to the simpler times of 2001, which is awesome. Not a fan of the animation style of the movie, but the I'm digging the story. Things are looking good!

(although -- Mask of Ultimate Power? Come on, LEGO :P)

Your wild speculation that is certainly wrong doesn't account for the Toa crashing from the sky this time around, nor the setting being an island, not a massive continent, nor the explicit lack of Matoran, Agori, etc.

Most likely wrong, yes, but not "certainly".

Anyway, my speculation is that what we have been told so far of the story could fit with this reboot being set in the same continuity as the original story, but thousands of years later. As for Toa crashing from the sky, I'm not sure how that erases the similarities between Teridax's Golden Skinned Being, and the golden coloured Makuta with a mask power that matches the Being's power...

By the way, the Toa were searching for a location for New Atero when the story stopped in 2010, and I believe it even mentioned them having trouble finding one on the main continent (I imagine the two ruined giant robots, insane Great Beings and a Toa-killing robot lowered land value ;) ). Integrating the Matoran and Agori populations would likely lead them to discard their old names as they would only highlight racial differences if they kept them.

Edited by Xelphene

Personally, I think it looks too much like a combination between Ninjago and Hero Factory.  Too cartoony and not very serious, although it is made for younger kids.  But still, even in my later years I enjoyed the bionicle story.  And I just feel like I won't be able to enjoy this one.

Your wild speculation that is certainly wrong doesn't account for the Toa crashing from the sky this time around, nor the setting being an island, not a massive continent, nor the explicit lack of Matoran, Agori, etc.

Most likely wrong, yes, but not "certainly".

Anyway, my speculation is that what we have been told so far of the story could fit with this reboot being set in the same continuity as the original story, but thousands of years later. As for Toa crashing from the sky, I'm not sure how that erases the similarities between Teridax's Golden Skinned Being, and the golden coloured Makuta with a mask power that matches the Being's power...

By the way, the Toa were searching for a location for New Atero when the story stopped in 2010, and I believe it even mentioned them having trouble finding one on the main continent (I imagine the two ruined giant robots, insane Great Beings and a Toa-killing robot lowered land value ;) ). Integrating the Matoran and Agori populations would likely lead them to discard their old names as they would only highlight racial differences.

The only similarity between the golden skinned being and new Makuta is a color. A color. A color, man. It's just not happening.

AXKP5KC.png

The only similarity between the golden skinned being and new Makuta is a color. A color. A color, man. It's just not happening.

But what about the power? Golden Skin Being enslaved the Toa Mahri, so had powers of control. Then this guy turns up with a Mask of Control. It seems like a pretty odd design choice for a total reboot - why not the popular Mask of Shadows, or a Mask of Destruction to be the opposite of Ekimu's mask?

Alternatively, it is just a coincidence and I am going mad.

But that cloud definitely was a Vahi.

People should not read too much into visual similarities between things in the new Bionicle and objects from the old Bionicle. At the panel they told us that the episodes would be riddled with easter eggs, so things like this Vahi are probably what they had in mind—little visual shout-outs that are meant as a treat to us older fans, but don't have any bearing on the actual plot of the new story.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

No one else is massively disappointed by this? Toa aren't even really Toa, Matoran aren't even Matoran, masks are not the same as kanohi...

All we have is:

• A few bionicle character names
  • the same "elemental island with elemental factions" concept lego has loved for a long time (see slizers, roboriders, drome, etc - heck) which is not unique at all,
  • the general concepts of "masks of power"
  • the constraction style of building that has been around for two generations before bionicle
  • the bionicle name/logo

honestly, its just a marketing ploy to get parents to remember that their older kids loved "those bionicles robot legos" and get them to buy them for their younger kids. there's almost nothing in common. 

I was so excited for bionicle's return. this is a bad joke. 

How are the toa not toa? They have masks and elemental powers, and even appear to have the same personalities as the original Toa Mata. And the masks are still Kanohi. Just because they decide to use an easy-to-market English name instead of Matoran doesn't change what they are. (As for the matoran, I can't really help you.) And aren't all those things you listed the foundational elements of BIONICLE? The only thing it doesn't have at this point is the convoluted story that caused LEGO to shut down the theme in the first place.

And you do realize this is a toy company, right? Everything is a marketing ploy with toy companies. It's how they sell their product. Everything about the old BIONICLE was one big marketing ploy.

If I see a Tahu 3.0, I'm going ballistic. 

I would be very surprised if we didn't simply get new versions of the same toa. Ninjago enjoys the advantage of a compact and consistent cast of characters that BIONICLE didn't have after 2003, when the story began to expand into the rest of the Matoran Universe. If they want to avoid a complicated story, one of the best ways of doing that is to stick with the core characters and focus on them.

How well will you die?

Now I can put my finger on what I've been trying to explain since I watched the video: The "Legendary" characters aren't described as supernatural beings. The way they make it sound, it's more like Karzahni and Artakha; mythical beings, but not supernatural.

• Upvote 3

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

Now I can put my finger on what I've been trying to explain since I watched the video: The "Legendary" characters aren't described as supernatural beings. The way they make it sound, it's more like Karzahni and Artakha; mythical beings, but not supernatural.

Well, it's not like Mata Nui and Teridax were supernatural beings either. They were just portrayed that way in 2001, before we knew what they were.

• Upvote 5
How well will you die?

I really would like to see some references to old Bionicle. Just so it, ya'know, feels a bit more like Bionicle. (I mean, it probably will sound like Bionicle when it starts, but it would sound more like Bionicle. If that makes any sence :P.)

On a different note, I would find it amusing if Vezon popped up for a cameo, as long as it has no real storyline significance.

If Greg is in charge of the storyline, then it will happen. But it will have significance.

2xu8Ptu.png

How are the toa not toa? They have masks and elemental powers, and even appear to have the same personalities as the original Toa Mata. And the masks are still Kanohi. Just because they decide to use an easy-to-market English name instead of Matoran doesn't change what they are. (As for the matoran, I can't really help you.) And aren't all those things you listed the foundational elements of BIONICLE? The only thing it doesn't have at this point is the convoluted story that caused LEGO to shut down the theme in the first place.

Also, it was confirmed at the BIONICLE panel that the Toa will still be called Toa in the storyline. "Master of (insert element here)" is just a description so new fans who don't know what Toa are will be able to understand the characters' significance from the moment they see them on the shelves, without first having to go online and read the bios or watch the webisodes.

Can I get my Bionicles with a side order of AWESOME SAUCE?

While I am still in love with the 2001-04 storyline, and was hoping to see the island of Mata Nui (read Face Island), I love how the new story stays true to the feel of the original without Lego having to re-introduce the Doctor Who-level intricacies of the original story. And let's face it, Bionicle was becoming a little hard to follow...

Now, I know opinions are like hairstyles: everybody has one, but not all of them are pretty. Also, despite what the opinionee may think, most people really just don't care. That being said:

After reading their profiles, I get the feeling that Lego may have dumbed down the characters a bit too much. What I hope for is that the story team will build them up as the story progresses. If MLP can do it, then so can Lego!

That being said: Bionicle's back, People! Somebody cue up AC/DC's Back in Black.

ALSO, FELLOW BZPers: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ANY FLAMING OR BASHING THE NEW STORY. YOU'VE ONLY SEEN TWO MINUTES OF IT, AND THIS FORUM DOES HAVE A CODE OF CONDUCT.

• Upvote 1

Whatever mountain you are climbing, you can do this.

BZPRPG character masterpost

20220406_234727.jpg

"Just promise me something... don't let me go."

This confirms... pretty much everything I was afraid of with the new reboot. It's a "hard reboot," which means completely disregarding the expansive, mature, deep universe of BIONICLE's first iteration... in this case, in favor of an extremely oversimplified, somewhat generic story... On the set side... well, those are really boring too; almost no new parts, and all huge smooth HERO FACTORY shells where there should be the little technological bits that made BIONICLE's detailing great... Instead, we get lots of bulky HERO FACTORY-style technological attachments tacked on, which make the new Toa versions look like bulky, generic, Bayformers-esque robots... Which, character-depth wise, is probably what we're getting, if the trend started by Chima continues over here.

I'd love to be really optimistic about this line getting better and not being Chima-like, but unless they do a complete about-face with their design trends and method of appealing to audiences, there's really not much to be optimistic about.

• Upvote 1
toatanusignature.png