Like the Story in the New Bionicle Video?

2015 Bionicle Story  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please note:

1) This poll is only asking about what we see in the video just reported today in BZP news:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1510717302502681&set=vb.1472651449642600&type=2&theater

(It's okay if you also vote based on the character bios too and stuff, but point is that the relevance of this poll isn't supposed to continue for a long time down the road as we will learn more. This is just asking what your initial feelings and thoughts are given what we know as of today which is mainly from that vid. ^_^ )

2) This is only asking about the storyline aspects of this, not animation style or the like. :)

The third question kind of ran out of room to really include as many options as I've seen people saying in reaction so far, sorry about that, but feel free to use the "Other (explain)" option there. :) I'm very curious to see how this poll will go. Have at it!

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Honestly, the video isn't really bad. It's actually what we've been asking for as fans for a long time, a return to that mythical feel of 2001. I feel it is dimmed a bit by the actual physical presence of Mata Nui (Akimo or whatever) and Makuta, seeing as they're not just mysterious gods controlling the land, but actually have day to day interactions with the villagers as mask makers of all things. It's cool to see the Mask of Creation, but the Mask of Control and the MASK OF ULTIMATE POWER just sound... corny. I'm interested to see where the spiders come in though.

• Upvote 2

Up until today, I've been extremely skeptical about the idea of a new plot. But after seeing all that LEGO had to show, I've pretty much released all inhibitions. I really like the idea of a whole new world and plot to explore, and the possibility of this new universe connecting back to the old one adds an extra layer of reassurance. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect. The "Mask of Ultimate Power" is a pretty lame name, but I think I can look past small inadequacies like that.

Wasn't it said this is a soft reboot.

It was compared the the Stark Trek films. Someone please explain to me the comparison...

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

1) Yes. 

Viewed by itself without doing comparison, the video is plenty intriguing - a nice introduction. I couldn't help but notice that this story is smaller and less mysterious than even 2004 story, which is what is needed for target audience (definitely a good idea :)), but I don't like it as much. I also notice a couple of Ninjago elements slipping in there. That's okay, but taste being what it is, it strikes me as less original. (Didn't I just get off a debate on taste lol? Now I won't be able to escape it for the rest of the day. :P)

I like the MASK OF ULTIMATE POWER though. Epic coolness. Thumbs-up!

2) Strong Yes

While the recycled Ninjago elements irk me, the target audience likes Ninjago, so those elements will likely appeal. In any event, the mystery and intrigue are likely to appeal.  

3) I like some of what they kept and some of the changes, not others; I like it but still wish we could see the future of Spherus Magna; and Other. 

I like that we have Mata Nui interacting (or formerly interacting) with his people, that MN is a maskmaker now (very cool) and the aforementioned Mask of Epic Coolness. That has got to be fun for a writer to play with. I don't like that we have Makuta back, again. Also the Mask of Control strikes me as...like they had to have something to oppose creation, and I'm not sure "control" is the best foil. 

I miss the old light-dark dichotomy already. 

I'm starting to think this might be bittersweet. I like seeing a new story - always like a new one - but I think this one is going to remind me of all the things from the old story that I liked better. :shrugs: Oh well, 'tis life. 

I like it all! I can't wait to see what happens with the story. On a side note, it looks like you're going to have to learn everything about Bionicle- again. Sorry about that. But hey- you'll probably have more to do and you'll be able to explain old Bionicle well to new fans.

Edited by RahkshiToa88
  • Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Like it? I love it. Everything is spot on. I could not even ask for a better Bionicle. The introductions to the main plot and large titans like Makuta and Akui (or whatever he's called) is much better than old Bionicle. They took the greatest of things, and mixed it in with a whole lot of delicious new. There are one or two things that I'm not 100% sure on, but they don't bother me at all.

Ha. I accidentally voted "Strong No" for whether the new generation is likely to like it. I meant to vote the exact opposite.

So far, this is better than I expected it to be. I was thinking that it would be a total reboot with maybe only a couple of cameos of a "Turaga Tahu" or something. This is exactly what I think BIONICLE needs. That said, I can't say I don't want to know how things turned out on Spherus Magna.

• Upvote 3
How well will you die?

1. Yes, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. That video was great!

2. I'm not sure. We'll have to wait and see on that. :P

3. I liked all the changes and the things they've kept in the story. I'm surprised that Makuta is back, but I reserve my judgment on that until I see how his new character will play out in the story.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Strong yes for first 2 - it has a lot of potential I think. As for the last one, I do find it a bit weird that they've retained some of the original names, but not others (I would have preferred to not have Makuta or at least Mata Nui to go with him). That being said it's clear they've taken the most popular words from the old series and reused them so I understand why, but I think I would have preferred new names to be honest. Hopefully the Toa characters don't have too many differences to weird me out. :P

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

1. Yes -- especially how the dynamic between Makuta and Echidna is more analagous to Artahka and Karzahni in the original continuity. It's a little more straightforward that way, but there is still enough mystery in the setting to retain some enigmatic aspects. There's also the fact that Makuta and Echidna are both asleep -- can't wait to see where that goes!

2. Yes, for sure.

3. I am okay with having a new continuity -- honestly, I think that was the most sensible choice, and it probably wouldn't have been anything else.

Doesn't mean I wasn't still holding out hope for a soft reboot, though :P I have no real interest in trying to tie up the horrific mess of loose ends that was the post-Journey's End serials, but I would really have liked to see Spherus Magna in the distant future.

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

I am so very torn. I got exactly what I had wanted: a reboot. Yet I'm not exactly excited.

To address the poll, I do like what they've shown so far, and I do think that new fans will love it. Initially I thought the storyline appeared to be too simple, but my memory must be hazy as it is very much parallel to what we had in 2001. In fact, I think it's great that the story appears to be relatively simple for the time being. Newer, younger fans who are going to be jumping on will have a chance to grow with the story as it becomes more complex. I'm cool with that. Of course, my statement should be framed by the fact that all I've seen is a few minutes of rough concept footage.

I think I am torn not due to any of the plot elements (as of yet) but rather the tone. If you read the character bios on the site, you'll notice that the new versions of the Toa have relatively robust characterizations that include not only archetypal heroic traits but also flaws. Tahu is now a little bit forgetful. Kopaka is now a bit clumsy. Onua is a bit lethargic. I think this is a very purposeful decision on Lego's part as it will translate very well to any sort of animation that will follow inevitably. You know there will be TV shows or movies on the horizon just like many of the other recent Lego properties. Having said that, I very much agree with Binkmeister in that the mystery of Bionicle circa 2001 was one of its biggest pulls. This new universe seems to be forsaking this mystery for something a bit more humanizing and comical. Ultimately, I recognize that this is a good thing, but it's just a little different to 2001. I have a feeling I'm going to be saying this a lot over the next few months.

Okay... I'm still excited!

Edited by Mr. Onua
  • Upvote 3

HUGE thanks goes out to -Shannara-! You know what you did, Shanny.
onua1.gif
Thanks goes to Biomech for the banner!
qs13699.jpgqs13699.jpgqs13699.jpg

1.) YES. Absolutely yes. It takes the best of the old Bionicle and infuses it with a cool new twist, and the dynamic between the two brothers is a lot better this way, I find. Also emphasis on Masks is awesome too.

2.) Yes, kids will love this. It's mystical, interesting... but it's also very simple and easy to follow.

3.) If you see my answer to 1, you'd assume that I'd say "I like what they changed as well as what they kept". Well, to be honest, I'm not too pleased with the names. Having Makuta back without Mata Nui just feels off. I would've been okay if they kept both names or changed both, but this way just feels too in-between.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Yes, I liked the new story premise and I also think new fans will find it enjoyable. It's great that Lego decided to go for a reboot, it will definitely be better than continuing from the overly complicated story of the previous generation.

Is it as good as 2001? Of course not, not even close. But considering all the mistakes Lego could have made (and still could) with the new Bionicle, I'm happy that it's so far turning out as good as it is.

I'm just going to say that I'm intrigued so far. I like the changes, but I'm still buying the sets for the parts.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

The video animation was average but the new story has begun very well. The introduction of two brothers is great, and Ekimu is a fresh cross between Mata Nui and Artahka. Hopefully we will see him as a set some day. :D

As for Makuta, I'm glad that he doesn't seem as powerful as his 01 counterpart. He seems to be on equal footing with Ekimu. That can only mean good things.

• Upvote 1

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

1. I'm a bit on the unsure side. I'm optimistic, but the story for the video sounded fine, nothing more, nothing less. I'm waiting for more information before making a judgement on the overall story. Based on the video only, though, I'd say I'm in the middle.

2.Oh, I expect the new fans will love it, and that's all the better.

3. I don't mind the new continuity but still miss the old one, and I really would have liked to see what happened on SM after the final battle between Mata Nui and Teridax.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Glad to see that the majority is being optimistic!

Well, let's call it cautiously optimistic. We don't have a GregF yet for this generation, so that will make many BZ-Koronans nervous.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I believe this story shows promise. I am very upset that at the moment Mata Nui is gone. Who knows, maybe the two brothers are glorified mask makers and there is still a Great Spirit? But I am excited to see this story play out and I definitely got the vibe from back when BIONICLE first started.

I am upset that there is no continuation. But I will not let that stop me from enjoying this story. I see it much like the comics of Marvel and DC. eventually there will be a reboot. And things may change. But the overall premise is still there. That's what I'm hoping for, and right now, that's kind of what it seems.

Bonesiii, with this reboot will you be finishing your history of BIONICLE?

• Upvote 1

~Xeo~

I said that I liked the story, because it's simple and familiar enough (a quest for collecting some relic or the other) and still exciting for old fans, and easy to get into for newcomers.

As for the reboot, I'll always have a soft spot for the Toa so I like that they're returning, but it will still take me a while to get used to the fact that this is in fact a reboot. All in all I think the Toa are a good link between the old and new story.

1. Yes. 2. Yes. 3. I like it, including both the changes and the things they kept (mostly because at the time I was voting I was in too much of a rush to put 'other'.

I sort of wish they hadn't completely taken away the extra elements in the classic Bionicle. I'm also not sure I was much on giving Lewa the power of 'jungle' (although considering 'air' covers an entire state of matter... maybe they could've just limited it to oxygen if anyone at Lego thought 'air' was too much). Other than that I thought think they did pretty well as far as feeding hype. The cartoon effects aren't bad as long as they limit it to previews and not use it in some sort of TV show. Obviously. Lastly, I felt taking away the name Mata Nui was good considering he was not only a main chacter in the classic series but two giant robots, an organization, and an island, and that was no doubt the name used in perhaps all classic media. Besides, isn't it time we give someone else to take a nap?

Let the Legend be reborn.

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

Glad to see that the majority is being optimistic!

Well, let's call it cautiously optimistic. We don't have a GregF yet for this generation, so that will make many BZ-Koronans nervous.

By contrast -- that makes me extremely confident that BIONICLE 2015 will have a coherent, consistent, and comfortably-sized storyline. :)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Oh yes. =D

And part of me is happy there's now not going to be a canon "future of Spherus Magna" (yet.....), so I'll feel more free to do the small sequel too. :P

By contrast -- that makes me extremely confident that BIONICLE 2015 will have a coherent, consistent, and comfortably-sized storyline.

So only Greg writes stories that aren't perfectly coherent, consistent, and comfortably-sized? :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Bonesiii knows better than everyone to cover all possible opinions in a poll. :P

Anyway, I voted the "strong positive" option on all three. New Bionicle's shaping up to be awesome.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I love love LOVE how we have a new story that feels just as mythical and almost as mysterious as the old one, while not feeling like a complete rip-off of the original, and instead taking it somewhere new.

At first I was annoyed to see "Makuta" coming back, but as long as it's only in name (well, and in being the antagonistic brother) I'll be fine with it. I just don't want the same exact "planner" personality we got before.

I voted the strongest positive option on all three because I think this story REALLY sets up a strong starting point for the new story.

(Plus, you know, the animation is gorgeous.)

• Upvote 2

Overall, I love it. It feels a lot like MNOG, and it's great to see it return to a simpler story. It'll get convoluted eventually, trust me. It is the way of BIONICLE.

On the Mask of Ultimate Power, the Nostalgia Critic put it best: "Yeah, why don't you just call it a more obvious name, like 'The Goody Good Good That People Really Wanty Wanty'?:

• Upvote 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Question 1: unsure

I don't think I can judge the story until it's been told, whilst I see the potential in the story idea I think I'll have to wait until the graphic novels are released and hopefully the story Ekimu and Makuta is fleshed out a little more.

Question 2: yes

I see no reason why kids won't get into this, though to be fair there can never be a guarantee of huge booming sales for any product(ain't that right chima marketers).

Question 3: I like it 

One thing I was worried about when it came to a reboot was that they would go to far and make into something that isn't bionicle, thankfully I was wrong, they seem to be very respectful of what bionicle was whilst creating something new.

It's time to move on.

I picked "unsure for the first two questions. I think its a bit early for that. As for what they kept and changed, I do like how they're going back to just a single island that six heroes land on, and nothing is known about where they came from. The cartoony feel though didn't appeal too much to me though. But it'll probably grow on me. That being said, the video wasn't bad. The way they explained the conflict of the Mask Makers was simple, but interesting.

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

Oh yes. =D

And part of me is happy there's now not going to be a canon "future of Spherus Magna" (yet.....), so I'll feel more free to do the small sequel too. :P

By contrast -- that makes me extremely confident that BIONICLE 2015 will have a coherent, consistent, and comfortably-sized storyline.

So only Greg writes stories that aren't perfectly coherent, consistent, and comfortably-sized? :P

Well, you've got me there. But, while I enjoyed some elements of Greg's writing style, he was heavily inspired by DC/Marvel superhero comics, and that influenced him to create overly complex and convoluted plotlines. I also didn't like his philosophy of never planning ahead, and I hate that he always told BZPers who asked him about writing never to write outlines, because what works for one writer might not work for another.

But I digress. The point is, this story team seems a lot more unified in vision, and the scope of their story is smaller (though it might branch out later). Both of those are promising qualities.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Strong yes for the first two. I am happy Bionicle is back overall. Its a great thing, the sets are too cool. Combining pose-ability with gear function has me way too excited.

I like the new start, but some of the changes I am not sure of. My main issue is if the Masks have their own powers like before, or if they are just tied to their respective element. Mask Powers was and still is one of my favorite things about the Bionicle Universe and I'd hate to see it go.

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Sounds like my opinions are a little against the grain so far, but...

1) No- Call me old fashioned, but I loved the complexity and originality of the old Bionicle.  This one just sounds like a mix between Hero Factory and Ninjago

2)Yes- It sounds like just the sort of thing that the new generation would love

3) I want to go back to Spherus Magna.  I think there were so many opportunities there for some incredible story...and now it's gone. Although I will admit that doing a reboot will make a lot more money for Lego that a continuation would.

Today's generation is obsessed with reboots, and it's a trend I wholeheartedly disagree with. In my mind, the only time there is a valid reason to "reboot" a franchise is after DECADES have passed; when you have several generations of people removed from the original who did not grow up with it, and when technology/story telling has sufficiently advanced that you can tell the story in a new and interesting way. The Star Trek reboot is one of the only reboots I've ever thought was a good idea. This is because, to me, watching the original show, or even The Next Generation, is a painful experience because it's so DATED. A fresh perspective modernized the experience and made it far less... lame. 

I'm perfectly aware that one of the reasons Bionicle ended was because it was too big and complex for new fans. So a logical step may seem to be to wipe the slate clean and start again. And, I'm sure it will be financially successful, and therefore from Lego's perspective, it's a good decision.

But. The same thing could have been accomplished by starting a new story on Spherus Magna; just gloss over the details and the history for the kiddies, make it something only loosely related to the past history, and let GregF keep the old fans happy with web serials that go into a lot of detail and history. The effect would be the same, new fans could come in without a headache. This solution, however, seems lazy and inconsiderate. Why add to and improve an existing masterpiece when you can chuck it and not worry about it?

In my opinion, you can't rewrite the plot and rewrite the characters and have it still be "Bionicle." You just can't. This is "Somebody Else's Version of Something Similar to Bionicle." It's not the same franchise. 

Again... it always baffles me when people think this sort of "alternate reality"-type reboot is a good idea. Would you read 7 new Harry Potter books where the characters are NAMED Harry, Ron and Hermione, but they live in a different world than the one you fell in love with, half the other characters are missing, and they never ACTUALLY went through all the struggles you followed them through? I can't imagine anything more ridiculous, but, to me, that's exactly what this kind of reboot is. Would you watch a reboot of Star Wars: A New Hope, where there are characters KIND OF like Luke, Han and Leia, but the rest of the world has been put into a blender, shredded, taped back together, and the holes filled in with random new elements? Sheer madness. But, to me, that's exactly what this kind of reboot is.

So, in a nutshell, I'm disappointed, and I can't imagine getting excited about this... despite the fact that I'd probably list Bionicle as my #1 favorite franchise. And I can't imagine collecting the sets... despite the fact that 2-3 copies of every individual set are currently on display in the next room, taking up half my wall-space.

I'm cautiously optimistic.  I think this story will be MUCH better for the new generation of fans.  If it had been connected too closely with Spherus Magna, new fans would have struggled.  Even if it had been somewhat distanced, there would have been a point when new fans would have been limited in how much they could get into the story.  This will allow them to really dig into it the way we did. 

Don't get me wrong, I really want to know what happened on Spherus Magna, but I think this is better for Bionicle as a whole compared to trying to directly fit this with everything else.

As far as the story goes, this seems to be a good start, I'm excited to see the Toa again.

Again... it always baffles me when people think this sort of "alternate reality"-type reboot is a good idea. Would you read 7 new Harry Potter books where the characters are NAMED Harry, Ron and Hermione, but they live in a different world than the one you fell in love with, half the other characters are missing, and they never ACTUALLY went through all the struggles you followed them through?

If it was a good read, absolutely.

This is a classic example of the mistake in confusing your own personal tastes for something universal. That seems surprising to you because you don't find it in you. But you shouldn't really expect to, because different people have different preferences. Had they gone the route you suggested (which I would have loved too; I even voted for that option in polls, but to me that was just one route, not the only option... but still, that's me; it doesn't have to be you), guess what? There would be somebody who has a similarly very focused taste, on just one option -- an option like this one, or others -- who would be objecting just as strongly to what you want being done.

That's how it always works. Can't please everybody when different people want different things.

Edit: Also, forgot to add: Why would we want to read about the exact same struggles again? (Or even way too close.) That's called cliche. :P

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The new story looks great.  They're focusing on clarity, which is a plus -- I don't think there needs to be a ton of new made-up words for it to be interesting.  I remember being introduced to the original BIONICLE with a CD-ROM from Nestle cereal.  I don't think BIONICLE started out as "complex" as some people would like to believe.  There were a TON of made-up words, but already, we have a more detailed backstory, with more complexities than "Makuta was jealous and put Mata Nui to sleep lol, so the Toa need to get masks and wake him."

So this new story could very well have a much richer plot, just without so many foreign names and words that would confuse the 7-12 target audience. ;)

Edited by TehBestMemberEvar!1

I'm a genwunner. I prefer the Spherus Magna canon hands down. When franchises are given 100% reboots like this (Digimon for instance), I have a bad habit of losing interest completely.

That said, it's still premature for me to form a final opinion of the new canon. I simply hope we see more elements from Gen 1 Bionicle, eg. the Dark Hunters, Skrall and baterra, and more Toa of more elements.

Edited by Makuta_of_Oz

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

In general I like the new story, and I've been for a reboot since the first leaks. It's the best way to get a new generation of fans to like Bionicle IMO. The changes overall are fine, but I'm going to miss some things like the Koros, the Matoran, and some terms that are most likely going to be dropped. 

hamster.gif

Sprite Kit Archive

For all of your comic-making needs!