Worldbuilding changes you hope they will make?

I'd like to see some sort of cameo with the original MU. Maybe have Vezon suddenly show up? :P

I would LOL if the animated series would show a portal opening in a distant place, Vezon showing up, peeking around and returning.

It would be perfect if we had him appear just before some cataclysmically big explosion or Makuta/Ekimu awakening again. He'd pop into existence, look around, and just before the big explosion/ awakening, the camera zooms in on his "Oh, Karzahni" face before we cut back to the main story. Kinda like Scrat in the Ice Age movies.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I think that Lewa might be a Toa of the Green AND Air. How awesome would that be?

For some reason, I just pictured Lewa using the pokemon move Leaf Storm...
I watched a review on youtube where one of the fans (I believe it was Var... Good ol Varendar) reviewed the new Tahu set he got from comiccon and he mentioned that the story might be that the Toa will meed to find their Gold masks to improve their power, so how awesome would it be that if they find a new mask they get a new elemental power??
  • Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

More depth in terms of locations and events, the kind that side-stories of other characters with different adventures provide.  We have a 100,000 year stretch of time on both Bara Magna and in the GSR with very little to fill it with.

So, I suppose, more worldbuilding.  Now, keeping the air of mystery is one thing, but never explaining it is another, especially for a universe as large as Bionicle.

Counter to that point, I would argue for a less absurd time scale. Bionicle's timeline was insane, with characters being functionally immortal and events being spaced farther apart than they should ever have needed to be. For example, it would not have made a single difference if the amount of time between the Matoran's arrival on Mata Nui and the Toa Mata's arrival had been 100 years instead of 1000, because both are improbably long periods of time. I hope the new story's timeline keeps the bloat to a minimum so that there don't HAVE to be thousand-year gaps to fill in the first place.

I liked the long timeline...

I'd like to see some sort of cameo with the original MU. Maybe have Vezon suddenly show up? :P

I would LOL if the animated series would show a portal opening in a distant place, Vezon showing up, peeking around and returning.

That would be fantastic!!! Why create new characters when the old ones still have so much potential? Is Velika going to come and try and blow up the Toa Okoto?

• Upvote 1

!!! Why create new characters when the old ones still have so much potential?

10-year-old: Who's velika? What's a great being? What is a Matoran? Why does he want to rule Spheres Magna? What is speherus magna? Ooh! Ninjago! Daddy, buy me this ninja set!

Basically, dumping a child head first into the 10-12 years of mythology Gen1 built up is not a good idea when there's much easier and cooler stuff on the shelves.

• Upvote 7

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

NO giant robot. Thats all i care about

No giant robot, 

I understand why this feeling exists, but giant robots in Bionicle kinda strike me as in the category of Epic Cool Stuff. It's like saying "No cotton candy! No ferris wheels! No giant robots! No Masks of Ultimate Power! No fun! Go back to the boring island of Okoto and do your math homework!". *insert revolt of kids everywhere*

Somehow I just don't think that Lego will say No More Giant Robots. They're a kid's toy company, i.e. the maker of stuff like cotton candy and ferris wheels. If kids like giant robots, Lego will give them giant robots. Now they will do it in a different way than they did the 2001-2010 giant robots, but it is unlikely that giant robots will be entirely excluded from possibility. 

• Upvote 1

@Rahkshi Lalonde

Then the original plot has to break down halfway through, and the entire franchise ends with a psychoanalysis of the Toa.

Naturally, fans aren't too pleased, so a new feature-length replacement ending is made where Pohatu's deep-seeded self-loathing turns everybody into orange goo.

• Upvote 5

@Rahkshi Lalonde

Then the original plot has to break down halfway through, and the entire franchise ends with a psychoanalysis of the Toa.

Naturally, fans aren't too pleased, so a new feature-length replacement ending is made where Pohatu's deep-seeded self-loathing turns everybody into orange goo.

*turned into liquid protodermis

I really don't care much about romance. It can be cute if done right, but it's also really easy to do wrong (looking at you, Legend of Korra).

Yeah, that whole love triangle thing wasn't very good in season 1. However, I think later seasons have done a pretty good job. It would be cool to see stuff like that in Bionicle...

• Upvote 2

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Hopefully more gender neutrality. And romance actually being canon. And stuff like that, that really bugged me in the old Bionicle.

Anyway, I hope they do take the time to do worldbuilding in the first place. I don't feel like Hero Factory had much of that so I hope they don't repeat the same mistakes.

-NotS

• Upvote 5

tahubanner.jpg

It might be a stretch, but it would be amazing if they assembled an actual language that the inhabitants of Okoto spoke. I'm aware Lego wouldn't want excessive lore for new fans to slough through, but I don't think knowing a fictional language is necessary for enjoying a story. You can read Lord of the Rings without knowing Elvish, and watch Star Trek without knowing Klingon; Bionicle would be no different.

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

As always, multi-gendered tribes is a definite yes for me, that and possibility of romance

Finally, if set combiners are used (Kaita, Matoran-Nui, etc.) I would like to see them used more! Seriously! Muchcould be done with them but we only saw the Kaita,what, three times? five or six if you count the Borok-Kal and Rahkshi!

• Upvote 1

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

Doing in the Wizard is a trope wherein mystical or magical elements of a narrative are explained, sometimes bringing in scientific or pseudoscientific concepts to replace them.

I think: characters that were male being female and vice versa.

• Upvote 1

Doing in the Wizard is a trope wherein mystical or magical elements of a narrative are explained, sometimes bringing in scientific or pseudoscientific concepts to replace them.

IE Mata Nui being a giant robot. It was a cool twist but I wouldn't want it to be done again. One of the unique features of Bionicle is that it combines Sci Fi and traditional fantasy in a very unique way. I'd rather keep a sense of mysticism.
  • Upvote 2

Anyone support gender swapping?

For existing characters, no (Except for Tamaru, but as there are no Matoran in Gen2, I doubt she'll be showing up)

But if you mean mixing genders within tribes, or gender-swapping entire tribes, yes please :)

I would actually love to have seen at least two of the original toa genderswapped- it wouldn't be that much of a deal, market-wise, and storywise I honestly don't  think gender had much to do with their characters.

Anyway, I hope bionicle keeps its sense of immersion and mystery. That was what, I felt, was missing from some of the later years of Gen1 and all of Hero Factory. Don't get me wrong, I grew up with 07 onwards, but looking back I can recognize that that era suffered from trying to be too gritty, introducing too many plot elements too fast to explore, and doing in the wizard in a way that was interesting in concept but lacking in execution (I like the analogy that it was very "mainstream comic book").

Hero factory was also really superficial and RADICAL. Which I mean is fine for a toyline, but what made bionicle special was that you didn't just to "Cool!" as a kid- you also went "Wow!" Things were always a bit mythical, mysterious, and genre-blending. I think that's what fans complain about when they say something is "Childish;" let's face it, 2001 was pretty childish and simple, but it had a formula that worked.

• Upvote 1

In the grand scheme of things, we shouldn't really be fazed about the concept of gender flipping. Some would probably see it as a rather big thing to do, and I can understand that as we've grown to love these characters the way they are. However, thinking about it in depth, how much difference would it make if a character swapped to the opposite sex?

I'm curious to see peoples viewpoints.

With the anemic personalities they've given us so far, I don't see how it would make any difference. Personally, I'd flip Lewa (Genki Girl) and Kopaka (Ice Queen). That'd give us a nice even gender split. Heck, gen 1 Kopaka and Lewa could flip as well, though the latter would be quite the Distressed Damsel.

Edited by Regitnui

In the grand scheme of things, we shouldn't really be fazed about the concept of gender flipping. Some would probably see it as a rather big thing to do, and I can understand that as we've grown to love these characters the way they are. However, thinking about it in depth, how much difference would it make if a character swapped to the opposite sex?

I'm curious to see peoples viewpoints.

I was never a supporter of the original Toa's genders being flipped. To me, it seemed like it would create more controversy than it was worth, and seeing as appealing to nostalgia was one of the main advantages of using the classic Toa it would seem odd to make a change like that which could potentially be so hugely divisive among older fans. Plus, some people have argued that the characters' genders were not essential to their characters, and mostly I'd agree—but if they're the same characters either way, I don't see much reason to change their genders in the first place, other than to make a statement which, while good, could undermine the great word-of-mouth advertising the theme is getting from fans of the classic theme.

One thing I WOULD like is, if a "Toa of Light" is introduced, for it to be a new female character. I feel like there's room for a seventh member of the team, and I don't necessarily want the whole Takua/Takanuva character to be repeated since his story was told so well in general. Plus, I don't particularly want the new story to jump from one set of protagonists to another like the old story, and other than doing that, adding another female member to the team is really the only way to up its gender diversity. Even in the old canon, Matoran and Toa of Light could be either gender, so it'd be nice if the new story delivered on that potential.

As an addendum to the above, if a seventh Toa is introduced, let's keep them as part of the main cast after their introduction, yeah? Even Hero Factory managed to maintain seven of its nine main heroes for its last three years, so the new Bionicle has no excuse.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 7

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That was quite disappointing, for Takanuva to be left out of the Voya/Karda Nui arcs. But Takua was disguised as a Ta-Matoran, so he couldn't have been female.

Maybe there's a new method of creating/summoning Toa. A new ritual guarded zealously by the Skull Spiders could offer a way to call a seventh Toa. Or, just as the Skull Spiders are the manifestations of the Makuta waking, perhaps Ekimu waking may trigger the arrival of "Ekimu's Daughter"; a character based off Toa Ignika and 'Toa' Mata Nui; who can wear the Mask of Creation and wake Ekimu. There are literally hundreds of ways to introduce new heroes without having to retread the matoran-Toa-Turaga life cycle.

Edited by Regitnui
  • Upvote 3

I want to explore as many areas of this new island as possible. Okoto Online Game, please!

• Upvote 4

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Replaying MNOG and watching those Bohrok animations yesterday made me think "Wow... early Bionicle really had a lot of worldbuilding didn't it?" I think it was in part to having so many named villagers, depictions of villages and a look into Matoran society. This is actually something I hope they repeat in Bionicle 2015.

-NotS

• Upvote 5

tahubanner.jpg

For me, I hope females and males of all Elements will be canonically possible in the reboot.

This, but also I'd like to see the other elements we didn't see at all in Gen 1. Stuff like Plasma, Sonics, Gravity, Lightning, etc. Being told about all these cool elements but never actually getting them in set form is just cruel, and one of the few things I out-right hated about Bionicle. There's not really a law that all Toa Master teams MUST have six members and six members only, so I think unorthodox elements could and hopefully will be a thing with Bionicle G2. But on top of that, there should be different sub-villages so that characters of these elements have homes too. For example, there could be a Plasma sub-village within Ta-Wahi. It'd make sense, considering they both have to do with fire and heat.

And like others have said, some kind of canon romance would be nice if it's handled well.

Edited by PlatinumApple
  • Upvote 2

*INSERT WITTY COMMENT HERE* chimoru2015spinnie.gif

(Credit to Click for the Bionicle 2015 spinnie!)

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I'm actually pretty happy with what they did with the lore.

Though if I'd change anything I'd turn mata nui from being a giant robot to an actual diety, because, honestly, this "humans/god was made by aliums/is the aliums!" thing isn't overall that good.

However it's this Ikimu and Makuta being rivaling brothers, which doesn't bother me because it's based on real mythological motives, something that really fits the bionicle theme.

I also don't have anything with one tribe being just female. They could make it stronger/faster/better for all I care, this is a toy marketed to little boys, not manchildren. The most questionable thing here is why the great beings made two different genders, when they can't breed.

The most questionable thing here is why the great beings made two different genders, when they can't breed.

that usually files under "if we explain this particular thing it'll only be more confusing and agonizing to read"

short answer: for human-like familiarity, humans have gender as a thing that unquestionably exists, so humanoids in fiction usually follow suit.

(also gender =/= sex, but idk if the mods want that subject to be discussed again, oops.)

Edited by Rahkshi Lalonde
  • Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

The most questionable thing here is why the great beings made two different genders, when they can't breed.

that usually files under "if we explain this particular thing it'll only be more confusing and agonizing to read"

short answer: for human-like familiarity, humans have gender as a thing that unquestionably exists, so humanoids in fiction usually follow suit.

Yeah, but we know the real answer don't we?

LEGO didn't refuse to seize the chance to sell a few boy-ish girls a few action figures.

This, but also I'd like to see the other elements we didn't see at all in Gen 1. Stuff like Plasma, Sonics, Gravity, Lightning, etc.

Those are actually the most cheesy things you could see in the bionicle universe.

These things are used by 8-year olds to make weapons sound super deadly and cool.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but we know the real answer don't we?

LEGO didn't refuse to seize the chance to sell a few boy-ish girls a few action figures.

This, but also I'd like to see the other elements we didn't see at all in Gen 1. Stuff like Plasma, Sonics, Gravity, Lightning, etc.

Those are actually the most cheesy things you could see in the bionicle universe.

These things are used by 8-year olds to make weapons sound super deadly and cool.

I don't really understand what you mean. I meant for characters, not for weapons.

*INSERT WITTY COMMENT HERE* chimoru2015spinnie.gif

(Credit to Click for the Bionicle 2015 spinnie!)

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

What's with all the hate for the Giant MU robot? It was the core of Gen1's story, planned from the beginning, without which we wouldn't have half the aesthetic we do. Without it, Gen1 would have been vastly different and likely much worse.

• Upvote 6