Worldbuilding changes you hope they will make?

Is there anything in the worldbuilding of the 2001-2010 universe you hope to see done differently in the 2015 universe?

For me, I hope females and males of all Elements will be canonically possible in the reboot. Of course the original six should stay the same (although I personally wouldn't mind a female Lewa or Pohatu), but I hope to see more of a balanced gender ratio in the future.

• Upvote 9

Is there anything in the worldbuilding of the 2001-2010 universe you hope to see done differently in the 2015 universe?

For me, I hope females and males of all Elements will be canonically possible in the reboot. Of course the original six should stay the same (although I personally wouldn't mind a female Lewa or Pohatu), but I hope to see more of a balanced gender ratio in the future.

This.  All the way.

• Upvote 5

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

More depth in terms of locations and events, the kind that side-stories of other characters with different adventures provide.  We have a 100,000 year stretch of time on both Bara Magna and in the GSR with very little to fill it with.

So, I suppose, more worldbuilding.  Now, keeping the air of mystery is one thing, but never explaining it is another, especially for a universe as large as Bionicle.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

I want them to explore the island mainly. They gave us a new location, I want immersion. Stories and character driven adventures. I'm just overall excited because its so new and open, the possibilities are endless!

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

More depth in terms of locations and events, the kind that side-stories of other characters with different adventures provide.  We have a 100,000 year stretch of time on both Bara Magna and in the GSR with very little to fill it with.

So, I suppose, more worldbuilding.  Now, keeping the air of mystery is one thing, but never explaining it is another, especially for a universe as large as Bionicle.

Counter to that point, I would argue for a less absurd time scale. Bionicle's timeline was insane, with characters being functionally immortal and events being spaced farther apart than they should ever have needed to be. For example, it would not have made a single difference if the amount of time between the Matoran's arrival on Mata Nui and the Toa Mata's arrival had been 100 years instead of 1000, because both are improbably long periods of time. I hope the new story's timeline keeps the bloat to a minimum so that there don't HAVE to be thousand-year gaps to fill in the first place.

• Upvote 8

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Counter to that point, I would argue for a less absurd time scale. Bionicle's timeline was insane, with characters being functionally immortal and events being spaced farther apart than they should ever have needed to be. For example, it would not have made a single difference if the amount of time between the Matoran's arrival on Mata Nui and the Toa Mata's arrival had been 100 years instead of 1000, because both are improbably long periods of time. I hope the new story's timeline keeps the bloat to a minimum so that there don't HAVE to be thousand-year gaps to fill in the first place.

Fair and solid point.  However, I found that the immense scale gave Bionicle a sense of uniqueness that few other franchises have today (among a number of other things).  That, and the scale allows for a huge variety of stories to be told within, without worry of stepping on the toes of already established events.

Edited by Gravity
  • Upvote 2

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

No giant robots pls.

Bi-gender tribes, obviously.

I do want to see Brutaka, and the rest of the expanded universe characters make a return in some form. :P

• Upvote 3

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I would like for us to stay in one location for a good while so we can really get to know it. Admittedly the old BIONICLE did this pretty well for Mata-Nui and Metru-Nui, but after that new locations sprouted up so fast they didn't really become anything more than dot on a map with a complex name. Giving us nice maps with detailed place names (like this one) that tie into the storyline (or future storylines) would be very beneficial for the immersion, I think.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Upvote 1
BZPRPG

No giant robots

No making stuff that will never be made into set form vital to the story (still bitter that Lariska got a huge role in the serials and books but Umbra only gets one mention

Don't go too quickly

Make peaceful sets as well. I liked the Guko bird and the Kohliitoran and they didn't have any weapons

Help us get to know the characters more. I never felt like we got to know the Inika/Mahri

Release more storylines than just one (NOTE: main storylines not serials)

• Upvote 6

No more giant robots would be nice. That twist has already been done.

Would be nice to have all the released sets have a story role. One example of this not happening would be Perditus.

And Umbra.. And half of the Glatorian... Kind of. And most of the Vahki/Visorak.

Honestly, during that period we could have gotten away with one vahki and visorak set, and maybe other sets along. Like Lariska. Jeez Lego. :P

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

***Toa Kyraan***

Fewer sapient species created just because the set designers came up with something new

the MU was bristling with sapient species as the end drew near, a good number of them not even being named and only existing because of a single character.

I agree with this. It would definitely help keep the story from getting too complicated again. 

I also would for the story to stay in one place. At least for two or three years. (I know that New Bionicle is only scheduled for three years right now, but I have hope that it will be expanded beyond that. :) ) That way, we can learn and care more about the area the Toa and Protectors are living in. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Why do they gotta be female....?

(1) To remove females from the storyline would be a high offense to all ladies in the fanbase -- and there are quite a few -- and LEGO would lose a huge portion of their fans.

(2) Even though it's a different universe entirely, Bionicle is based on reality's basic precepts, one of those being the existence of both male and female. If Bionicle lacked these precepts, fans could no longer relate to the characters, and almost all interest in the storyline would disappear.

(3) As far as I know, many if not most of us want romance to be canonized this time around. And without females present, that would be obviously impossible.

On a side note, I also hope that they don't throw in a ton of characters that never appear again / don't get a set / aren't even given a canonized appearance.

• Upvote 3

sig8.png

It affects kids who want a hero that's a Toa of Water and corresponds to their gender. It boxes a lot of people in when identifying with characters or certain elemental groups when they're all entirely male or female.

And genders do matter, very much so. Without gender more or less every character could either be presumed as an "it" or a he. There's a big reason why you never see a male companion in Doctor Who, not simply because the Doctor tries to be the "alpha male", but because you can use a female character to add a little "spice" to the mix, you can incorporate love stories (which BIONICLE never did) , give a new perspective. I don't mean to sound sexist (and I sure hope I don't seem like it), but there are a great amount of details between men and women that differ down to the very way the sexes look at photos. Simply because Matoran/Toa/Turaga cannot reproduce doesn't mean we should get rid of the entire concept of gender in itself.

It's also a great way to give the plot an excuse for the heroes not working together, something NINJAGO has capitalized on in Rebooted (and next year) that BIONICLE failed to do. Gender differences can lead to disputes, anger, etc and when you throw love into the mix you get crazy side-plots like the Nya, Jay and Cole love triangle, or Wu and Misako giving each other googly eyes even though she's married to his BROTHER (good grief let's be glad Garmadon never found out, bai bai oath of peace)

• Upvote 7

(1) To remove females from the storyline would be a high offense to all ladies in the fanbase -- and there are quite a few -- and LEGO would lose a huge portion of their fans.

(2) Even though it's a different universe entirely, Bionicle is based on reality's basic precepts, one of those being the existence of both male and female. If Bionicle lacked these precepts, fans could no longer relate to the characters, and almost all interest in the storyline would disappear.

(3) As far as I know, many if not most of us want romance to be canonized this time around. And without females present, that would be obviously impossible.

On a side note, I also hope that they don't throw in a ton of characters that never appear again / don't get a set / aren't even given a canonized appearance.

You're wrong on point 3. Even if there were no female characters, there could obviously still be romance plots. ;)

Of course, LEGO probably wouldn't have the guts to include openly LGBTQA+ characters. But a man can dream.

• Upvote 6
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

because you can use a female character to incorporate love stories (which BIONICLE never did) 

:/

Women characters are important because representation is important and labeling every character as a man by default is dumb and sexist.  I'd like the Toa's genders to stay the same, but I really hope we get a larger cast of female characters this time around, and get rid of the bizarre restriction of the gendered tribes.

Edited by Grey Wind
  • Upvote 5

^this. Fortunately the Toa's genders are confirmed to remain the same already, Villagers/Matoran however, have not.

^^ It's too risky for LEGO at the current time. They risk damaging their brand name by incorportating homosexuality into their products. The world is not run by atheists, and despite a huge shift in the general consensus on homsexuality in the past 4 years there's a global population (and I cannot stress this enough) of 2 Billion Christians alone. Not to mention there's quite a few events to do with the LGBT community few are aware of that reveals how hostile that community can be even when entirely unprovoked. Despite the overwhelmingly positive stance on LGBT marriage right now, it does not equate to a generally positive outlook on LGBT in general. It's safer for LEGO to avoid that topic entirely for now.

Sorry if anything in this post is offensive to anyone, I tried to write it from an unbiased approach, so again sorry if it offends anyone. If you've got a question, PM me, don't derail the thread.

Anyway... I'd really love to see a return of the Rahi, or at least something similar to them in function. Just minus some of the more mechanical style, eg, the caterpillar treads

Edited by Torchbearer
  • Upvote 4

Gender discussion aside, I like to have more named characters of different species. For example, the only named Vortixx we got was Roodaka, and we never got a named character from the Matoran tribes of The Green and Plasma. Speaking of elements, not so many would be nice, like we could've done without Psionics as one.

• Upvote 2

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

Genders don't matter in bionicle because they cannot reproduce. The water tribe is only female to be symbolic to the bearers of life, like the element of water

Now you're just sounding like a Great Being, and we all know how low their public approval ratings have been for the last several years ;)

But seriously, I don't think we even know if the reproduction thing is canon in the new continuity or not. And if it is, why do they gotta be male? Why can't they all be genderless? And I mean actually genderless, none of that gross sexist "male by default" nonsense. Refer to each and every character with xe/xym/xyr pronouns.

...Yknow, I think I would actually unironically like that. But, sadly, as others have said,

LEGO probably wouldn't have the guts to include openly LGBTQA+ characters.

It's too risky for LEGO at the current time.

So that rules out representation of non-binary genders :P Abolishing monogender tribes is the next best thing, of course.

I would argue for a less absurd time scale. Bionicle's timeline was insane, with characters being functionally immortal and events being spaced farther apart than they should ever have needed to be. For example, it would not have made a single difference if the amount of time between the Matoran's arrival on Mata Nui and the Toa Mata's arrival had been 100 years instead of 1000, because both are improbably long periods of time. I hope the new story's timeline keeps the bloat to a minimum so that there don't HAVE to be thousand-year gaps to fill in the first place.

This x1000. Every time the original continuity added more time, my suspension of disbelief dropped. Right when I had accepted that maybe being made of protodermis could enable functional immortality, we met a whole planet full of non-protodermic, 85% organic entities who could easily remember stuff that went down 100,000 years ago -_- The original continuity would have been much more believable if they had at least dropped a 0 from each number of years.

• Upvote 2

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

The world is not run by atheists, and despite a huge shift in the general consensus on homsexuality in the past 4 years there's a global population (and I cannot stress this enough) of 2 Billion Christians alone. 

I find that personally offensive. Do not look at the conservative right-wingers and say all Christians are like that. That's like saying all Muslims are terrorists, and all people who play with Lego are children.

Back on topic: The time thing annoyed me too, but it's fairly easily ignored, what with it not being part of the story. I also argue for a more 'Avatar:TLA' approach to the elements; Each of the standard elements can be 'refined', fire into Lightning, water into The Green, Air into plasma, etc...

• Upvote 8

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

All of this discussion is on a fast track to really sensitive subjects and is off topic, so I suggest that any arguments regarding sexuality, religion, and even gender are stayed away from. Many members have already established that they would want bigender tribes, but I wouldn't add gasoline to the flame.

Plus there have been a lot of fights on BZP lately, can't we all just appreciate what's to come? :P

Also the thing about species... Do you think that we could use the LMB to get Greg to categorize multiple characters under once species? Like, a lot of the Dark Hunters could have originated from same species like the Piraka did? And then maybe tie those species into the ones of the Barraki? I feel that that would simplify the old world quite a bit. :)

Final note, if Bionicle is scheduled for only 3 years, I would like it to stay on Okoto, but we better discover some cool characters. expanding to another island later on would be nice however. :)

EDIT: did anyone notice that for Lewa his character Bio says he's master of the jungle AND wind????

Edited by Archon~
  • Upvote 2

Archon                      

***Toa Kyraan***

EDIT: did anyone notice that for Lewa his character Bio says he's master of the jungle AND wind????

Yeah, I noticed that too. Does this mean Lewa is a Toa of the Green? Pohatu's Bio also says something about him controlling wind as well. I wonder if we're following the Spherus Magna elements?

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I think that Lewa might be a Toa of the Green AND Air. How awesome would that be?

For some reason, I just pictured Lewa using the pokemon move Leaf Storm...

• Upvote 1

Dear Ekimu, I nearly sent this topic spiraling down into another debate avalanche with half a sentence.

Anyway, that observation of Lewa controlling both wind and air makes me wonder if there will be any other secondary elements. It might make things less complicated, but I still hope they're gonna be around.

sig8.png

I'd like to see some sort of cameo with the original MU. Maybe have Vezon suddenly show up? :P

I would LOL if the animated series would show a portal opening in a distant place, Vezon showing up, peeking around and returning.

• Upvote 4

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

One thing I always hoped for that we've already seen with the new story was larger, more complicated civilizations on the islands. The Matoran from 2001 spent almost a thousand years on Mata Nui, and yet still all lived in relatively tiny villages. And there were no ruins anywhere. Wasn't Metru Nui a city of thousands?

• Upvote 2

As something of a retired BIONICLE fan, I just want LEGO to do whatever makes the theme a success. That said, I don't mind most of the ideas presented here, such as eliminating gender exclusivity and the no-romance rule. After all, how am I supposed to entertain myself when there are no shipping wars to watch?

Personally, I would be content with just a quick reference the the old story every now and then, and perhaps more rehashes of old characters and villains. I'd particularly like to see what LEGO would do if they tried revamping the Bohrok.

• Upvote 2
How well will you die?

Yeah, I'm really interested in seeing if LEGO's gonna keep the Bohrok, and what kind of spin they'll pull on them if they do. But that's going to be more than a year later, if that even happens.

Non-monogendered tribes is definitely #1 on my list of hoped-for changes. #2 would've been more female Toa, but that's obviously already impossible. 

I really don't care much about romance. It can be cute if done right, but it's also really easy to do wrong (looking at you, Legend of Korra).

• Upvote 2