Worldbuilding changes you hope they will make?

If they could keep the amount of species to an amount that doesn't accelerate beyond their ability to scale characters to species nicely, you can get away with a few that are the only actual characters of their species even though there are more out there, but generally need a bit of character diversity per species, exceptions are easy (unique single member species, swarm that means less/no individual characterisation, etc.) but yeah...

...One thing I never really followed up on enough; in G1 Tren Krom was

meant to be a temporary controller of the MUR, ...as was Mata Nui, well he was meant to get another one, but still... I don't want something as glaring as this happening again, I've seen different explanations but generally "Because Mata Nui wasn't ready"/"Tren Krom had fulfilled his purpose and the 'Great Beings' don't care otherwise" are hardly satisfying answers, It wasn't an interesting mystery so much as a character who did a few more things for the story & doesn't really tick enough boxes for a true Eldritch Abomination - not even off screen, (I wouldn't expect it onscreen given the target audience,) 

I mean I'm actually pretty interested in G2 all around in a positive way, I just hope them trying to create mystery doesn't

turn into arbitrary red herrings that are ignored. I like Tren Krom. 

Oh &; Just because something is done within a story doesn't mean it needs to be in primary focus... Would that be about-the-same/better/worse than what they did previously?! (Honest question.)

I figure if something is shown well you don't need to spend a while on it; one way of judging a writer is how subtly can they do things; that way it isn't obnoxious in the sense that it takes up too_many_pages/too_much_of_the_show or done in small increments but keeps on jumping up into focus when a fan is interested in something else... One one hand I can see how just "having it in the background" doesn't sound very satisfying to those that want it, but I figure it can give a bit more room to shippers, & it is still there to more 'attentive readers' (or rather if your interested in it your more likely to pick up on various cues which can be tied into other actions and barely cost a frame/word/minute)

Just curious to every-ones thoughts'... 

Yeah man, that kind of stuff would be nice. Not too many red herrings(though a few would be nice), a bit more fleshed out world building when it comes up, that kind of thing.

• Upvote 1

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

1) Mixed gendered tribes.

2) if the toa are searching for masks like the start of G1, let them find different masks, not just the same set of masks for all the toa.

3) I don't mind giant robots, but not just 'oh, the whole matoran universe is one giant robot'. More like exo-toa or standard 20 foot mecha.

4) More mythic feel.

5) no characters having a major role but no set or minor characters with sets.

6) A selection of races, but not to many, maybe about 4 to 6.

7) No elements that have characters using them as sets.

8) No 'psionics' element.

9) No set of minions that are basically the same but only differ by colour and one piece.

10) No toa without defining their kanohi, like Orde and Zaria

11) More in depth and interesting villains.

12) And if they do bring back the Spherus Magna and the whole shattering concept back in, please develop Bota Magna some more

• Upvote 1

2) Equal gender ratios amongst tribes

3) Toa of Light being a female.

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with there being more females.

In what way would the story change? Why does it matter, if it's targeted to boys? How would the story change if the toa were all female?(From a gender-roleless story, because I'm pretty sure that a full female toa team would be full of stereotypes.)

If Takanuva was a female, would anything even change? There's no different biology, no love(from what I heard), no nothing, it's all in their heads.

You people must grow up. Changing a few genders around in a toy line isn't going to solve any problems or discriminations.

And start asking "what logical reason is there that it SHOULDN'T represent the gender diversity in the real world?" Because there are no good answers to the latter.

1)Gender ratios were almost NEVER equal before the third part of the 20th century.

Men died in wars en masse(male privilege=getting blown up by artillery in a miserable trench), thus making women take up more of precentages.

2)Bionicles don't reproduce. Gender diversity is completely arbitrary when you can't make babies.

3)"Why should a fictional world full of robots/cyborgs NOT have a 50/50 gender ratio?"<Wat.

4)Because it's FANTASY. You're supposed to escape the real world and engage in something different.

When we're talking about a giant robot inhabited by cyborgs realistic things have no place in here.

Okay, let's say some girl wants to self insert herself in the MU and can only choose one element of the six principal ones

She can:

-Shut up and be a Ga-matoran

-Stop whining and be a male matoran.

I'd have no problem roleplaying as a girl, and I'm not.

Though I hope LEGO caters to it's principal customers(children), not some "muh ebil patriachy" manchildren.

Pretty sure kids don't care about genders.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

Are you a marketer, Cleanser? Little boys don't like playing with girly things, this is fact. I see it daily. Because they're marketing the line to little boys, Lego had to offer a range of male personalities so any little boy could relate to the line. The Token Female then represents what the little boy sees girls as; Team Mom.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'd have no problem roleplaying as a girl

...Same here.

"Ew boys/girls"

Yeah. Not exactly uncommon.

Because they're marketing the line to little boys, Lego had to offer a range of male personalities so any little boy could relate to the line.

I would agree that that's the mentality behind it.

The Token Female then represents what the little boy sees girls as; Team Mom.

...Uh if you say so.

I don't see why leaving a group open to the potential of having multiple genders is an issue.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

1) We live in the 21st century. So tough luck.

2) That was true when Matoran were artificial. Even then, the Glatorian and Agori reproduced biologically. We don't know anything about the biological nature of the 2015 characters. As far as we know, we may not even have matoran or Turaga. Ekimu and Makuta are brothers, and Makuta is not a species. Magic exists. So right off the bat, there is no reason to assume that any of the restrictions of the MU applies in 2015. This entire thread is meant to voice changes you want in the new storyline. 

3) You are trying to ridicule the argument by making an appeal to the fact that Bionicle is fiction. Not working. I still don't see why there is any reason why there shouldn't be a 50/50 gender ratio amongst the tribes. Mind you, nobody is saying that we should get 50/50 named characters in sets. We're simply asking for the tribes in the storyline to have more diversity. 

4) "When we're talking about a giant robot inhabited by cyborgs realistic things have no place in here". We're not. 

There is no negative effects of making even gender ratios. For one, if Lego decides they are tired of having the blue characters always be female they can actually reassign the female role to another colour. That also means we can actually get some Toa of Water that are male. 

• Upvote 5

Are you a marketer, Cleanser? Little boys don't like playing with girly things, this is fact. I see it daily. Because they're marketing the line to little boys, Lego had to offer a range of male personalities so any little boy could relate to the line. The Token Female then represents what the little boy sees girls as; Team Mom.

I'm 13, no job other than failing at life, and wasting time.

But you don't really need a specialization to realize that robots appeal more to boys, than girls.

I'd have no problem roleplaying as a girl

...Same here.

"Ew boys/girls"

Yeah. Not exactly uncommon.

Because they're marketing the line to little boys, Lego had to offer a range of male personalities so any little boy could relate to the line.

I would agree that that's the mentality behind it.

...Uh if you say so.

I don't see why leaving a group open to the potential of having multiple genders is an issue.

1)Problem solved, people can roleplay other genders.

2)Yes, but more boys buying the line=less girls in the line.

3)It is

4)Again, boys mostly buy males in toy lines. Less males=less money

1) We live in the 21st century. So tough luck.

2) That was true when Matoran were artificial. Even then, the Glatorian and Agori reproduced biologically. We don't know anything about the biological nature of the 2015 characters. As far as we know, we may not even have matoran or Turaga. Ekimu and Makuta are brothers, and Makuta is not a species. Magic exists. So right off the bat, there is no reason to assume that any of the restrictions of the MU applies in 2015. This entire thread is meant to voice changes you want in the new storyline. 

3) You are trying to ridicule the argument by making an appeal to the fact that Bionicle is fiction. Not working. I still don't see why there is any reason why there shouldn't be a 50/50 gender ratio amongst the tribes. Mind you, nobody is saying that we should get 50/50 named characters in sets. We're simply asking for the tribes in the storyline to have more diversity. 

4) "When we're talking about a giant robot inhabited by cyborgs realistic things have no place in here". We're not. 

There is no negative effects of making even gender ratios. For one, if Lego decides they are tired of having the blue characters always be female they can actually reassign the female role to another colour. That also means we can actually get some Toa of Water that are male. 

1) Yeah, but matoran don't live like in the 21st century, they live in a time before it.

2) No problem with Bara Magna BECAUSE THEY CAN REPRODUCE AND GENDER MATTERS THERE, NOT IN THE MU.

3) The 5/6 ratio adds to the atmosphere, is more mythical(one of the main focuses of bionicle) and doesn't fix any real problems. It won't improve the lore or line.

Grow up, just because a few robots think they are femeales changes nothing. And I'm pretty sure different Ga-matoran can have different personalities.

4) Blue is the most feminine colour of the bunch, doubt they'd change it.

Also trans tamaru pls go.

Edited by -Windrider-

1) Irrelevant, because the point was to have it be relatable to consumers. 

2) Again, we're talking about 2015 and the changes we want to see this time around. None of us are asking to retcon MU 2001-2010. 

3) 5/6 ratio adds to the atmosphere? Makes it more mythical? I would argue equal gender ratios amongst the tribe would improve the line and storyline. It's less restrictive. Making one gender exclusively female is an arbitrary restriction, and ends up being an inconvenience if you want to switch things up a bit. Think of every other storyline that houses a universe with equal gender ratio. For example, DC comics. Obviously half the human population is female. That doesn't mean it caters less to boys, or that females take up half the casts in the story roster. Same thing with bionicle. Nobody is saying make half the sets female characters. 

4) I'm pretty sure you can pass off any colour as feminine. Blue is also traditionally marketed to be masculine, especially shades like navy blue (which the metru blue would be).  

Edited by Prime Axiom
  • Upvote 3

...Uh if you say so.

Alright, there's the Tomboy archetype as well. I haven't been in the target group for at least a decade.

I'm 13, no job other than failing at life, and wasting time.

I may say you have less life experience than most on this thread. If a 23-year-old writer (myself) and others express an opinion, don't you think there may be a reason for it, even if it isn't immediately obvious to you? Edited by Regitnui
  • Upvote 3

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

2) Again, we're talking about 2015 and the changes we want to see this time around. None of us are asking to retcon MU 2001-2010. 

3) 5/6 ratio adds to the atmosphere? Makes it more mythical? I would argue equal gender ratios amongst the tribe would improve the line and storyline. It's less restrictive. Making one gender exclusively female is an arbitrary restriction, and ends up being an inconvenience if you want to switch things up a bit. Think of every other storyline that houses a universe with equal gender ratio. For example, DC comics. Obviously half the human population is female. That doesn't mean it caters less to boys, or that females take up half the casts in the story roster. Same thing with bionicle. Nobody is saying make half the sets female characters. 

4) I'm pretty sure you can pass off any colour as feminine. Blue is also traditionally marketed to be masculine, especially shades like navy blue (which the metru blue would be).  

1) Customers AKA little boys.

2) Still, I'd rather keep the 5/6 ratio.

3) DC COMICS ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE PLACE IN THE REAL WORLD. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A WORLD FULL OF ROBOTS.

And female characthers from a tribe would act just like the males, because all individuals from a tribe have similar personalities. No story getting enlarged.

4) Red-unlikely

White-more unlikely

Brown-NO(I'm not racist, but it's just not feminine in general)

Black-NO

Blue-yes

Green-uhh, maybe. But it's dark green, so unlikely.

Edited by TheCleanser

4) Red-unlikely

White-more unlikely

Black-NO

Blue-yes

Red - Women in red dresses can be very sexy.

White - the white-haired pale women is a classic guise for spirits.

Brown - I'll do us both a favour and ignore the Unfortunate Implications. Brown isn't a particularly flattering colour, but can work for engineers/farm girl characters.

Black - Every woman should have a little black dress. If any colour is sexier than velvet red, it's black.

Green - It isn't just dark (metru) green. Lime and Mata green are very nice.

As for the personalities, there are no character traits in any element that cannot be kept over the gender spectrum. Just as an example, many guys do the same thing Macku does in MNOLG, sneaking off to meet the object of their affections. Pick any character trait, from any Element, and I'll give you a plausible character for both genders.

• Upvote 5

TheCleanser, I know you're determined to stop the evil feminists from making any change to your beloved children's toyline that doesn't personally benefit you, but can you please explain to me why you're so vehement that the gender ratio would have to be a strict 5/6? What purpose could that possibly serve? What is even the point?

• Upvote 4

1) Customers AKA little boys.

2) Still, I'd rather keep the 5/6 ratio.

3) DC COMICS ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE PLACE IN THE REAL WORLD. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A WORLD FULL OF ROBOTS.

And female characthers from a tribe would act just like the males, because all individuals from a tribe have similar personalities. No story getting enlarged.

4) Red-unlikely

White-more unlikely

Black-NO

Blue-yes

1) Even little boys understand that females exist. 

2) Well you have the right to your own opinion. An opinion does not make for an argument though.

3) Again irrelevant. Even if Bionicle takes place in a world full of robots, that still doesn't justify your claim that an in-story population with roughly 50/50 gender ratios would deter boys from the series. Nor would it make it indicate that Lego is targeting the line any less at boys. It would just mean that the characters and society within the storyline somewhat mirrored our own. 

3.5) Actually specific personality traits for the tribes is another thing I didn't like about the old series. 

4) Circular reasoning. You saying it's unlikely doesn't actually count as a reasoning, much less proof, of it being the case. A quick google image search of "Red dress disney princess" comes up with a plethora of results indicating that red can be used in a feminine fashion. 

• Upvote 5

2)Bionicles don't reproduce. Gender diversity is completely arbitrary when you can't make babies.

So why are there so many male characters? By your logic every single inhabitant of the MU should have been genderless.

3)"Why should a fictional world full of robots/cyborgs NOT have a 50/50 gender ratio?"<Wat.

4)Because it's FANTASY. You're supposed to escape the real world and engage in something different.

When we're talking about a giant robot inhabited by cyborgs realistic things have no place in here.

So...you want to escape the real world because there are women in it? Your ideal fantasy world is one that is almost all men? That's very telling.

Okay, let's say some girl wants to self insert herself in the MU and can only choose one element of the six principal ones

She can:

-Shut up and be a Ga-matoran

-Stop whining and be a male matoran.

I'd have no problem roleplaying as a girl, and I'm not a ******.

Your misogyny is showing again. Also I'm pretty sure violent slurs have no place on BZPower.
  • Upvote 9

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

1) Okay, the people who care most about the story are us fans on sites like BZpower, who seem to be a wide range of ages and genders beyond 8-12 year old boys, so they would appreciate more female characters in the setting. I mean, we never saw any female skakdi in G1, which considering how much more ferocious than the males, would have been interesting.

2) Also, I think the exact recommended age is 8-12, so you know, they kind of have to start growing out of 'girls are icky', and nonhuman female characters who kick but is, I think anyway, a good way to start that.

3) It's feminist to have more active female characters in a setting.

Now, back to what we would like for storybuilding;

If more elements do get included, how about acid as an element for once.

Edited by Toa Jaxus

If there was one thing I had hoped for, it was a society where all tribes (because as a necessity there will of course be multi-colored beings for the sets, so grouping them into tribes follows suit) would be living together and intermingle.

The literal lines drawn on Okoto assumedly throw that out of the water unfortunately. :/

So I guess that just leaves the gender ratios. Let the colors mean nothing in regards to that.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 3

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

If there was one thing I had hoped for, it was a society where all tribes (because as a necessity there will of course be multi-colored beings for the sets, so grouping them into tribes follows suit) would be living together and intermingle.

The literal lines drawn on Okoto assumedly throw that out of the water unfortunately. :/

So I guess that just leaves the gender ratios. Let the colors mean nothing in regards to that.

~|ET|~

If we decide that the new Matoran-equivalents CAN reproduce, that means evolution could be in full effect. Certain groups of Matorans used to intermingle, but when the island gained those literal boundaries surrounding each biome, the tribes became isolated and as such, genetics took over and adapted each tribe to be better suited to it's enviroment.

Admittedly, if evolution was in full effect here, then the warmer climates would have lighter colors while the colder climates would have darker colors, but then again, humans don't work like that, so what do I know? 

Of course, this theory will need equal gender ratios for the Matoran-alikes. Lego, are you hearing me?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

No mono-gendered tribes

No more shadow=bad, light=good. Having a good shadow and evil light character would allow them to explore the concept of "it's not what you're born with, it's what you do with it" idea, which was a little missing on the old story

Giant robot was okay, but that twist has already been played

Like others mentioned, the species thing. You can call them different tribes or what have you, but a whole new species for just one unique character? C'mon.

No-romance thing makes story lack some sort of personal flaws for some of the characters.

Personal opinion, bring back Air! :c

Same, if not more, detail for Okoto as there was for Mata Nui. It's a whole new world! Explore!

But at the end of the day, just do what's best.

Edited by Tenth Norik

No more shadow=bad, light=good. Having a good shadow and evil light character would allow them to explore the concept of "it's not what you're born with, it's what you do with it" idea, which was a little missing on the old story

Giant robot was okay, that twist has already been played

This so much