NYCC Panel Slides Posted

2014-10-11_Presentation_Slides_teaser.jp

Over on the Bionicle Facebook page, the slides from the New York Comic Con Bionicle panel have been posted. There's a lot of great concept art and images of the upcoming sets and animations, and it's all awesome! If you consider yourself a Bionicle fan you need to drop everything and check it out right now!

View the full article

I like this version of Okoto a lot more than the one in the animation.

And everything is so 2001-esque. This just keeps getting more and more awesome looking!

:k: :m_d:

Edited by Kanohi Dragon

turahk-1.png

"I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones.

But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole.

And the darkness cannot stand before me." -Kopaka

The concept art is gorgeous, which only makes me wonder all the more why LEGO went with the creative cop-out that is Flash animation for the promotional material. The cardboard-cutout Butch Hartman style really doesn't do the plot or characters any justice. The conceptual mask designs are also far better when compared to the final product. That being said, it's quite apparent that a lot of thought and care went into the new release, so that certainly counts for something.

Also, the Tahu concepts look like EVA Unit-02, which could've/should've/would've been the greatest thing ever.

The concept art is gorgeous, which only makes me wonder all the more why LEGO went with the creative cop-out that is Flash animation for the promotional material.

Because most sensible people don't think that Flash-based animation is a creative cop-out? It's smooth, expressive, colorful, and as the presentation slides show, it is very easy to follow what's going on even on the small screen of a tablet or smartphone. I've met a lot of people both in real life and online who LOVE the new animation style.

Keep in mind that the Mata Nui Online Game and the Bohrok and Bohrok-Kal online animations were all flash-based, and they're some of the most beloved parts of the 2001–2003 BIONICLE storyline. Homestar Runner, one of the first extremely successful web cartoons, has always been flash-based except for their live-action "puppet stuff" segments. Even My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, a TV cartoon with an incredibly huge fan following, a powerful emotional range, and lots of diverse and well-loved characters, is animated entirely in Flash.

Obviously that doesn't mean that you have to LIKE the new animation style, but it's not one bit less creative than traditional pen-and-paper animation or the CGI of the LEGO Ninjago cartoons and BIONICLE movies.

• Upvote 6

Is it just me, or does Okoto remind me more of the Slizer planet, with rigid divides between the various worlds, than Mata Nui. I can see the appeal of the new island with is sharly seperated environments, but it lacks the natural feel that Mata Nui had to it. :shrugs: On the other hand, doesn't look remotely like a face so hopefully there's no giant robot underneith it.

The animation stills looks so wonderful. I was a little hesitant at first, but in the end I think the artwork in that style will work just fine. I would rather have a short television show instead of the short 90 second clips (or better yet, an actual game where you can explore the island, search for the masks, and maybe unlock said 90 second clips) but I guess you can only ask for so much.

Little disappointed on the Miru and Kaukau Lewa and Gali mask designs. Those two are the ones that deviated most from the original, but some of the concepts showed more promise. Going to take some getting used to, I suppose.

It was really awesome of them to share these slides. Thanks!

:music:

• Upvote 1

I really like the concept art for Tahu, Lewa, and Gali. Like with the Mask of Creation concept art, these remind me of Metroid Prime, which is one of my favorite video games. Only disappointment I have with them is that we don't have art for Kopaka, Ouna, and Pohatu. I really would've liked to have seen art on them.

I haven't said anything on the new heads yet, but I do like them. They kind of remind me of a Sentinel's head from X-Men, which isn't a bad thing IMO because I thought they were really cool. :)

The artwork for Okoto looks great here. Here's hoping Mata Nui's head isn't under it. :P

On the twentieth page of these pictures, we see the Protectors standing around a tomb. Anyone else think that this eludes to the Protectors possibly moving Makuta and/or his brother's bodies once they put them to sleep? Maybe they put them in some sort of tombs to keep Makuta locked away and the other for his own protection until the Toa find a way to awaken him? It's just something that came to my mind when I saw that.

On page twenty four of the artwork, Pohatu's lower half of his body is creating a tornado. First of all, what is it with him and tornadoes in this new story? :P Second, could this possibly mean he still has his Mask of Speed so that he could run fast enough to make one? I really hope so.

All in all, this is some wonderful slides. Though I wouldn't have expected to have seen a Bionicle chef in one of them. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I think that the criticisms of Okoto's design are valid. I was hoping that when we saw renders of the island that were different from the flash animation that it would have a much more natural look to it. Instead the dividing mountains seem really artificial. I know there are mountain ranges that do divide distinct types of terrain but I would have rather seen something less obvious as a boundary.

That's just a nit-pick, though, I'll definitely get over it. And the picture itself isn't that great, so the map might look better when it's zoomed in to focus on certain areas. I am wondering why the left bottom half is black. Presumably it's "Onu-Wahi" (or whatever it's going to be called, if anything), but why is it black? Solidified lava from the "Ta-Wahi" lava flows? That'd actually be pretty cool.

EDIT: I also think it's interesting that, judging from the images in the panel, they planned the animation so that it would look good on small screens. I honestly have no idea what to think about that- it's just interesting.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

That's just a nit-pick, though, I'll definitely get over it. And the picture itself isn't that great, so the map might look better when it's zoomed in to focus on certain areas. I am wondering why the left bottom half is black. Presumably it's "Onu-Wahi" (or whatever it's going to be called, if anything), but why is it black? Solidified rock from the "Ta-Wahi" volcano? That'd actually be pretty cool.

That... would actually make a lot of sense. Lava floes can be responsible for some ridiculously cool cave structures.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I love the concepts for these. I think that, of the concepts for Lewa and Gali's masks, I would have picked the third Lewa concept and the last Gali concept. I like the finalized ones well enough, but, like most people, I would have preferred that they have more similarities like the other toa's masks.

Sorry, but Okoto looks a bit dumb. It's way too divided, that's not how geography works. But I'm still excited to discover each of the locations.

To be fair, Mata Nui wasn't very realistic either. It was just as divided as Okoto, except the Wahi were less equal in size and there were no mountain ranges to make the borders so glaringly obvious.

How well will you die?

Sorry, but Okoto looks a bit dumb. It's way too divided, that's not how geography works. But I'm still excited to discover each of the locations.

To be fair, Mata Nui wasn't very realistic either. It was just as divided as Okoto, except the Wahi were less equal in size and there were no mountain ranges to make the borders so glaringly obvious.

Eh, Mata Nui seems much less divided to me. Really there's only three major divisions: jungle (Le-Wahi), mountains (Ta/Ko-Wahi), and desert (Po-Wahi). Ga-Wahi is pretty much just on an offshoot of the jungle, Onu-Wahi is under the desert, and Ta-Wahi is the volcano part of the mountains with the Charred Forest, which was just part of the jungle before it got burned. The boundaries are much more integrated into the landscape without looking like pie slices.

But, again, I doubt this is something that will bother people for too long. I think once we start to delve into the story and get the opportunity to "explore" the island we'll find things much more interesting. And who knows, maybe there's a story reason why the island looks the way it does... just as there was for Mata Nui. :shrugs:

Looking at the image again, is the "Ga-Wahi" part of Okoto completely (but shallowly) submerged? I can't tell from the image.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

I am barely containing the sheer amount of fangirling happening inside.

The quality and intricacies in the concept art are just blowing me away, though I do agree that the middle concept art for the Toa masks shown look better than the final products, but oh well.

I was iffy on the animation style choice at first, but the further down the slides I got, the better they looked, especially the background art! 0w0 But they REALLY sold me at the MoL homage image with Tahu and the Protector.  The story boards are the glorious icing on top of this delectable art cake. Well played, story team, WELL PLAYED!!! :D

I wonder if there will be voice actors for this or if they're gonna stick with the silent route (with or without subtitles) past web animations and MNOG cutscenes had used?

Regardless, I am just eagerly awaiting the release of both the sets and the mini-movies! The way things are going now with the amount of thought and dedication put into this, I have a pretty good feeling new Bionicle will be as great as old. ^_^

Eh, Mata Nui seems much less divided to me. Really there's only three major divisions: jungle (Le-Wahi), mountains (Ta/Ko-Wahi), and desert (Po-Wahi). Ga-Wahi is pretty much just on an offshoot of the jungle, Onu-Wahi is under the desert, and Ta-Wahi is the volcano part of the mountains with the Charred Forest, which was just part of the jungle before it got burned. The boundaries are much more integrated into the landscape without looking like pie slices.

But, again, I doubt this is something that will bother people for too long. I think once we start to delve into the story and get the opportunity to "explore" the island we'll find things much more interesting. And who knows, maybe there's a story reason why the island looks the way it does... just as there was for Mata Nui. :shrugs:

Looking at the image again, is the "Ga-Wahi" part of Okoto completely (but shallowly) submerged? I can't tell from the image.

I'm pretty sure it's just the mountain ranges giving that impression. Look at the Okoto slide. If the mountain range wasn't there, wouldn't the water region look like it was just an offshoot of the rainforest, like Ga-Wahi was to Le-Wahi? Also, I remember the transitions between Ko-Wahi and its neighboring regions, Po-Wahi and Le-Wahi, to be very abrupt, and it's very awkward for the tundra to so quickly change to desert sand and tropical rainforest.

I wonder if there will be voice actors for this or if they're gonna stick with the silent route (with or without subtitles) past web animations and MNOG cutscenes had used?

I'm guessing voice acting. Ninjago, Hero Factory, and Chima have all done that, and I doubt that they'll stick with a narrator for all of the cartoons.

How well will you die?

I'm guessing voice acting. Ninjago, Hero Factory, and Chima have all done that, and I doubt that they'll stick with a narrator for all of the cartoons.

I think it'll come down to how long the shorts are and where they're showing them.

Oh yeah, and while we're on the topic of animation, I feel like pointing out that going off the slides, those won't be Flash animations. They'll be done on ToonBoom, which is a completely different program that flows differently. Just a minor nitpick here, carry on! =P

LOVING the Samurai Jack/Clone Wars-esque art for the animation. Great influences, too--Studio Ghibli, Satoshi Kon, Triplets of Belleville... All personal favorites of mine. 

I am a little wary at the prospect of voice acting, but I'll take it as it comes. I do think it's a shame that all the "Matoran" appear to wear the same masks, but I figure that might change with subsequent waves of sets. Overall, seeing these background paintings has me more excited than anything so far. 

Oh man, LEGO is really catering to the fans, posting these. :) Lots of amazing concept art and seeing how they developed their ideas and followed 2001 aesthetics which led to what we have now is just awesome to see. The animation art looks great and I cannot wait to see this in action. I love their acknowledgement of 2001 and MNOG.

And of course, Bionicle Primal soup. Lol, that's hilarious! xD

NYCC was so awesome! :) LEGO handled this extremely well and I thank them for doing this for us. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

There will be a single narrator and they will be giving different 'voices' to the characters. Check out our interview with Zdenko Santini for more info.

Chef Master of Cooking confirmed for Bionicle 2016 :P
Also am I the only one (not the only one) who noticed something odd with the concept product picture and I'm not talking about the one on the left with the confidential. But anyway the one the right looks more Hero Factory then Bionicle from just about everything and especially the mask, heck just put a Hero Corn on the chest and there you go.

The Design Language with the new piece, don't look like a Vahki Leg, it's a Mata Torso stomach, how did they got those two mixed.

With the mask the only one that I could see that are the same there original are Tahu, Onya, Kopaka and maybe Pohatu, and they look great besides Kopaka being a little odd but Gali and Lewa don't look like there original, there mask look like it belongs to some other person (and I will keep talking about how Lewa Mask look like a cyberman)

Now with all the different picture of Tahu, the one picture on the bottom right looks Way Too Much like Transformers. While the new head just make me think terminator for some reason, but the new weapons pieces look great.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube