When Worlds Collide: Your personal life vs. your interest in BIONICLE

ALVIS

When Worlds Collide: Your personal life vs. your interest in BIONICLE  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The return of BIONICLE has rekindled a lot of interest among fans, even among those whose interest had started to wane. However, many of us are older than we were, and I understand there's something of a stigma attached to high school or college age people obsessing over a LEGO toyline. BIONICLE isn't a particularly acceptable or "mainstream" fandom, unlike, say, Doctor Who, or Avatar: The Last Airbender. That leads me to hypothesize that many of its fans conceal their interests during everyday life.

Now, anyone on BZPower clearly has at least some interest in BIONICLE. But outside of the Internet, how public are you about being a BIONICLE fan? I'm interested to see how secretive the community is as a whole.

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I'm not exactly shouting it from the rooftops, but I have a standing order with the local toy store for the new Toa and once took Marendar to school to use as part of a dinosaur display, so yeah, moderate.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

*closes photoshop window where I was blending Bionicle images together for school*

*frantically closes officialgregdialoguepart7.html jGRASP window*

*quickly hides Norik and HF sets in a cardboard box and throws it in the closet*

"No, I wasn't doing any Bionicle stuff, I was doing...homework."

*parents walk away*

Welcome to my life. :)

(Other than that, I really don't care who knows. Even my professors know, not to mention my fellow students. It's really hard when you're in photoshop class blending MNOG images with Tahu's face from MN Rising video and are going to submit it as a project for 200 points. :P Now if I was really paranoid, I could NOT do that, but I'd want to do the other blending anyway and I don't want to make more work for myself.)

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

Very public...

Well I chose BIONICLE as my theme to draw all year for Visual Arts so... I guess its very public, since I have to bring the sets to school to draw and what-not...

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I'd say moderate. I have never met anyone outside of BZPower who has genuine "fanboyism" (if you will :P ) for Bionicle like I do. I mention it to a couple of people and inquire if they've ever heard of it, but that's about it. Mostly because the people I've asked about it only had a couple of sets and never really cared about Bionicle, so those conversations go nowhere. :bored: I've only expressed my secret, deep knowledge and love of Bionicle to close friends who know about my insanely huge collection of sets, comic books, novels, and so forth...but they don't really care. I just want to talk about it sometimes for the heck of it (ha ha).

I said "private". Back when I was first getting into it, my friends almost shunned me from their group because they thought BIONICLE was too weird for their liking. Ever since then, I've only told people I know I can trust.

• Upvote 1

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

I'd say public. I don't go around broadcasting it(I never do that with anything, TBH), but when it comes up in conversation and such, I can be a bit excessive. :P

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

I'm pretty darn public about it. I just think it's funny when I start blurting things out about Bionicle that know one understands. It's pretty darn hilarious. :D They all just go, "Dang it! There he goes again..."

Edited by Banana Gunz

My girlfriend was literary trying to drag me out of the LEGO aisle of the store last Sunday...I'm only 19, but I have a beard and a lot of people think I'm in my mid-to-upper twenties.

Bionicle has dropped off a little bit for me. used to be my favourite theme. I build things a lot out of LEGO but I haven't had much money to pick up any new sets. I will DEFINITELY be picking up some of the new Bionicles.

I'm not shy about my LEGO fandom. I've been fairly successful in a few contests (In the LEGO magazine once!) so it's not as bad when you can tell people you're an "Award-winning LEGO builder"

I'm the go-to guy for all the little kid LEGO fans. Letting them know what themes are coming up and the like. 

• Upvote 1

I keep my yap shut. I'm nerdy enough as is. 

• Upvote 2

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Nah, I am public about it. At this day in age, a lot of people around me had grown up with Bionicle. So we can have chats about what we liked about the early years. It usually slips out that I am a big fan to this day, it's not a big deal. I always make sure to credit Bionicle in some "About me" projects as a major influence in my writing and artistic style. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I don't think most people would comprehend my interest in Bionicle, and to that I keep my fandom very private. It's my little piece of heaven I don't have/want to explain to anyone really. :P :)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Public. My roommates keep a tally to keep me from talking about all the news in the recent few days.  ^_^ Other than though, they think it's a cool hobby, and a lot of my other friends outside my apartment know as well. 

The way I see it is if someone doesn't respect your interests, then they aren't someone you should be hanging around. 

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I really don't care, I'll casually mention if I'm waiting for a Bionicle related package or that I'm in a good mood because of some Bionicle news. I'm not gonna go totally into it and be annoying, I just haven't imposed any kind of strict "don't ask, don't tell" policy on myself about it. I don't see a point to hiding it, 'cause they're gonna see my room or my blog or something eventually and find out that way. There's no shame to it, not for me.

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Me to friends:

"Hey do you remember Bionicle, the lore and storyline's actually pretty deep!"

"Lol, I had that golden one-eyed guy, he was so cool."

"Oh, that's Keetongu. He's a legendary rahi who can cure visorak mutation and killed Sidorak."

"Wait, what's a rahi?"

"It's basically an animal."

"Huh, I thought he was a great warrior or something. What about the fly-grandpa-thingies in the film?"

"Rahaga?...

(An hour of explaining later...)

"Wait, why didn't Makuta do this?

"Because he's an arrogant b*****d."

I try to get some friends interested, they like Warhammer 40k, Halo, that sort of stuff, but it took a while for them to take me seriously, and even now they can't tell Vezon from a Toa.

• Upvote 1

Very private. At my high school, people make fun of the Lego Movie a lot, so I have never brought up Bionicle in public. I prefer to keep my interests like that private:)

I have never been more grateful to be done with high school.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I am not above using force against certain types of people.

I will express my love for Bionicle if I want to, when I choose to. Publically, should I deem it necessary or favourable.

If asked, though rare, I will answer honestly.

If you disapprove, more power to you.

If you tick me off, sad day for you. 

Edited by Prime Axiom

Very private. At my high school, people make fun of the Lego Movie a lot, so I have never brought up Bionicle in public. I prefer to keep my interests like that private:)

I feel sorry for you, I hate only being able to talk about with a few friends, so that must be terrible.

I'm in a luckier situation because everyone's very accepting at my school, but there are still no other true fans I know of.

I'm open with it. The whole top of my dresser is lined with my collection I have bought from over the years (and subsequently broke and mostly rebuilt). So anybody walking into my room would realize very quickly. Plus, I talk about it with my friends all the time (we all grew up with BIONICLE), but I try to keep a bit quiet around those in school who don't know. My extended family knows and is fine about it.

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

i dont really care either way, if it comes up it comes up and i dont make any efforts to hide it

there's more important things for me to think about and actively choose to share than an interest in a lego line, which, tbh, is kinda what put it into perspective when i was younger and when i was a lot more private about my hobbies 'n stuff

• Upvote 2