What is the fate of BS01

Biff

So, since Bionicle 2015 is a reboot, what's gonna happen to Biosector01?  Is there going to be a new site for the new Bionicle?  Are they going to try to make the old and the new coexist on the same site?  Is the old gonna be archived with no chance on expanding, and the new will just take it's place?  I think it would be a tragedy to see over ten years of research on everyone's favorite childhood universe thrown away just because some hot-shot reboot took it's place.

• Upvote 1

I think all they did is put Gen2: in front of pages that have the same names as Gen1:.

For example:

2001-2010 Tahu - To find this, you would normally type in Tahu. But the Tahu page has moved to Gen1:Tahu. So the Tahu page is now a disambiguation page.

New Tahu - New Tahu is Gen2: Tahu

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I think all they did is put Gen2: in front of pages that have the same names as Gen1:.

For example:

2001-2010 Tahu - To find this, you would normally type in Tahu. But the Tahu page has moved to Gen1:Tahu. So the Tahu page is now a disambiguation page.

New Tahu - New Tahu is Gen2: Tahu

Er, that's going to get annoy real fast...

• Upvote 4

It makes sense, actually. Look at most Transformers wikis. One thing they could do is call all the old ones something like "Tahu (Spherus Magna)," and all the new ones "Tahu (Okoto)," each referring to the main location around which the story revolves. And somewhere in each page, just add "Generation 1" or "Generation 2" to clarify that the different locations refer to the different series. It's not that confusing.

Or, depending on how the story works out, it might be possible to treat the new story as an Alternate Universe or pocket dimension or something, and just refer to it that way.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I thought they were experimenting with tabs. Above the page of the character/object they put tabs that say "gen 1" and "gen 2". You click one and it changes the page to the character from the different continuity. Also, they are calling 2015-(?) Bionicle Generation 2, which I think is a great idea.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

One would say RAID THE PLACE,

LOOT IT from all its TREASURES

and BURN IT TO THE GROUND!!!

I like the way this guy thinks.

Anyway, there's still some debate as to whether or not to use parentheses, which are more search friendly, or namespaces, which make categorizing things a bit easier. There will be some code so the page titles aren't super ugly, so no need to worry about that.

We'll certainly be keeping the old stuff, but making sure we understand what's most efficient for new users is paramount. There's certainly a lot of work to be done!

(also we need a new server our current one is awful)

• Upvote 3

The big thing right now seems to be a move towards using a system of tabs and disambiguations. The old stuff won't be going away, but the staff are still working out the kinks in how we are gonna be integrating the new information.

I wonder if I should be recording this period of time. The Great Reboot? "transition" is already taken.

• Upvote 1

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

There could be two separate pages for duplicate characters like the Toa, with "did you mean Master Tahu?" links at the top of their original pages to redirect to the new ones? But then that's kind of like a tab system. Would it be hard to just split the entire website into two? Old and new?

This reboot sure is causing a lot of difficulties. We're better off without it. Someone tell Lego to cancel it, we've changed our minds :P

• Upvote 5

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I kind of hope that they eventually change it to searching for "Tahu" bringing up, automatically, the original one, but then, as they have it now, a tab on the top of the page to go to the new one.

In my defense, that's what I've been pushing for all along XD

The current system, while currently flawed, is coming together well enough, though it still has plenty of work to do.

bzpsig2015.png

I'd rather not prioritize nostalgia for its own sake. New people who search for Tahu will be looking for the most recent incarnation, current people will know that there's a divide between the different generations, and older people who don't realize there's a new version will be in for a surprise. To me, that's a win across the board.
  • Upvote 11

I am currently fighting for separate spaces altogether. We don't want new fans going to search for stuff and being inundated with loads and loads of info that has zero relevance to an entirely rebooted storyline. There is no purposeful/important overlap, so gen 1 and gen 2 really don't belong in a comparative space.

Currently this is still in discussion with Swert, as we don't currently have the resources to do so. We'll see.

signature.png

signature.png

I am currently fighting for separate spaces altogether. We don't want new fans going to search for stuff and being inundated with loads and loads of info that has zero relevance to an entirely rebooted storyline. There is no purposeful/important overlap, so gen 1 and gen 2 really don't belong in a comparative space.

Currently this is still in discussion with Swert, as we don't currently have the resources to do so. We'll see.

signature.png

I still kinda want a mainsite back, which I think could be useful especially if we go for a second site as you are fighting for. Would make linking to multiple wikis a lot more efficient and easier to distinguish. But, as you say, less money, mo' problems.

Alms for the poor, anyone?

I still kinda want a mainsite back, which I think could be useful especially if we go for a second site as you are fighting for. Would make linking to multiple wikis a lot more efficient and easier to distinguish. But, as you say, less money, mo' problems.

Alms for the poor, anyone?

Just wanted to put my input in here:

Having two sites would resolve the category problem that's starting get noticed. It would also fix the problem of mixing the two generations in general. This is kind of like what BS01 was going through before HS01 was started; it wouldn't work because they were two completely different storylines.

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

A lot of it also has to do with usability of actually finding the information without knowing the site itself. If we had a second wiki, Googling "Tahu bionicle wiki" is going to come up with whatever nonsense wikias there are, then BS01, and then whatever second wiki we would have, regardless of whether or not it's a primary or subdomain. We shouldn't count on people knowing who we are automatically.
  • Upvote 5

The problem with separate spaces is ensuring that people can search for that new generation. If it is on a separate site, they won't see it as early in Google. If it is a separate namespace with its own search box, they have to know to search Gen 2. Currently, defaulting overlaps to the new is probably the least of all evils and doesn't inundate people with unwanted information. We may need to have a main page message about gen 1&2 for a while, but unless you can solve the access problem of keeping them totally separate =/

~~-BS01 Histories-~~

I don't get all the problem with having them coexisting. It's entirely contrary to the point of being comprehensive and representative of the franchise as a whole.

There isn't a Transformers wiki* just for Prime, and one for the movies only, and one for the games, and one for Animated, etc. (Well there probably are but they wouldn't nearly be as popular, for obvious reasons.) Wookieepedia didn't suddenly create a separate site when EU was shifted to Legends and a new canon definition established.

It's not confusing - at all - if handled correctly. Splitting them would be a disservice. So what if the stories don't align... They're still the same franchise.

~|ET|~

*I'm sure people are tired of me making this comparison, but it truly is the most apt one. Both are toylines that happen to have stories backing them and both now even have multiple incarnations. They're not different. And it's as a fan of Transformers that I'm so comfortable with the BIONICLE reboot; it makes sense for toys. But it by no means, as has been proven, that they can't coexist on a wiki.

Edited by Electric Turahk
  • Upvote 2

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Nope, it's not happening. I'm pretty sure the staff has agreed to keep everything from the franchise on one wiki, which I am perfectly happy with. Aren't you? They are doing this in the best way possible.

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Since Gen2 is a total reboot, all the information on BS01 regarding Gen1 is irrelevant to new fans (I think this has been established). This being the case, wouldn't be logical to divide the wiki? I don't know how realistic this is, but would it be possible when you enter the site to have a option to enter either Gen 1 or Gen 2? Both parts could be edited by members, etc, but the information presented would be separate from the other Gen. Hopefully it will prevent confusion in new and old fans, if its possible that is. 

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

Since Gen2 is a total reboot, all the information on BS01 regarding Gen1 is irrelevant to new fans (I think this has been established). This being the case, wouldn't be logical to divide the wiki? I don't know how realistic this is, but would it be possible when you enter the site to have a option to enter either Gen 1 or Gen 2? Both parts could be edited by members, etc, but the information presented would be separate from the other Gen. Hopefully it will prevent confusion in new and old fans, if its possible that is.

Just because you weren't a fan of the original doesn't mean you wouldn't be interested in learning about the character in other timelines/generations. Also, as a fan of the original and the new series I wouldn't want to have to go to two different sites to find information about Gen 1 Tahu and Gen 2 Tahu, for example.
  • Upvote 6

That's why I think it's best to make sure that we default to the new timeline. Yeah, we may have to click one more time to get to the old Tahu (or learn to select Gen 1 in the drop down), but that's fine with me. The trick is to keep new people from having to go through the old to get to the new, while still making it easy for them to get to the old stuff if they wanted.

At one point I considered suggesting that we have two different search boxes, or a button on the the search bar that would let you switch the default from new to old and back, but I don't know how much work that would be for the folks actually doing the coding.

• Upvote 2

~~-BS01 Histories-~~