Okoto written language

Seems pretty Aztec-themed.

Not that I have a problem, they could take any kind of culture from greek, norse, arab, african, and even innuit.

BUT NOT ANYTHING CHINESE/JAPANESE/KOREAN. Nononononononononononononononono. Nein. Nu. Non.

リ   二 三, ㄷ  ㅣ  ㄱ  ㄴ ㅁ ㅋ    

Perhaps Japanese (First 3) and Korean (Latter 6) is exactly what they based it off of.  :P 

• Upvote 4

sig7.jpg
Hi, I'm Metax.  BS01's Lead Programmer and Longtime Bionicle Fan!

I think the symbols that look like other ones but flipped 180 degrees might actually be separate symbols. If so, that means there are more symbols than we may have thought. And it seems quite possible that the symbols that look like flipped versions of other symbols might indicate which symbols are the b, d, p, q, r, & g symbols, as well as m & w.

Also, the blue & light purple symbols are probably one single symbol, as they never appear apart.

Knowing this, and after seeing a recently locked topic about this very same subject, I think:

the yellow symbol is m or w.

So, if we try and translate the message on one of the solid gold mask pedestals, I got...

1:????M?????

2:????????W

???????M

(can't read this line of symbols)

Yeah, no idea how to decode any further than that. :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I really hope those symbols do turn out to be some kind of written alphabet, for it was something I really liked about Gen1. Even though it will probably be a lot harder for me to memorize and decipher than the old alphabet was... It works well with the art style of the animations, though.

Edited by Fairy Paladin

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

You know what this looks like? The symbols from the pause screen from BIONICLE The Game.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

• 1 month later...

What to think?

Protectors_Find_Ekimu_Animation.png

Protectors_Recite_Prophecy_of_Heroes_Ani

I'm pretty sure the first image is just the Prophecy of Heroes written out in the language, as whispered by Ekimu's body, but the text on the walls of the Temple of Time are sure a mystery.

• Upvote 5

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

It'd be fantastic if we got a spoken language too, and not just an alphabet.  Probably not, because that gets complicated, but I can dream...

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

I can imagine that the Protectoran (just what I call them, since I feel the Protectors are more like a title, not the species name) will get a sizable vocabulary but not an actual language.

Speaking of which, if anyone watches Stargate (Silvan, I'm looking at you) then the new Okoto script reminds me of the Ancient script, with it's lovely use of sharp edges.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I decided to try counting all of the symbols in an effort to see if they had any meaning. Unfortunately, they all occur with roughly the same frequency. Real languages don't do that. Unless of course, these symbols are like Chinese calligraphy, where each character represents a word, but that seems unlikely. Or, perhaps there are many other symbols within the language and we only have seen this one word repeated over and over again, but this seems pointless. In all likelyhood, LEGO probably never intended these symbols to have any meaning. I say this because it does not appear that Generation 2 has nearly the depth of story as Generation 1. They know their target market and they probably figure that that market isn't particular about such things.

A few days ago I tried interpreting these symbols in two or three different ways and then ran them through some cypher breakers. No luck. Additionally, it looks like in at least one instance they took the same pattern and removed a couple symbols in order to make it look like the writing varied. Even if these symbols do end up getting assigned meanings later, for now it appears like they are simply being used to create the appearance of written language, and nothing more.

• Upvote 1

nban.jpg

Credit to Zeddy! ------------------- Click the banner above!

And please also enjoy my other fine comedies:

The Bionicle Entrepreneur - Nuva Join the Navy - Toy Wars - A Comedy of Comics

What to think?

Protectors_Find_Ekimu_Animation.png

Protectors_Recite_Prophecy_of_Heroes_Ani

I'm pretty sure the first image is just the Prophecy of Heroes written out in the language, as whispered by Ekimu's body, but the text on the walls of the Temple of Time are sure a mystery.

Actually, it is not too much of a mystery. 

It's a little tough to see, just because it is blurry, but there is a clear pattern to the writings on the walls.

Its the same pattern of the bit you see in the Akimu Panel. And in the temple, it looks like a different set of charecters for each line, but its not....its a pattern of the same string. It goes something like this. 

1. Regular

language_1.png

2. 1 mirrored on the X Axis.

language_2.png

3. 2 Mirrored on the Y axis

language_3.png

4. 3 Mirrored on the X Axis OR 1 Mirrored on the Y Axis

language_4.png

And it just sort of continues from there.....

My theory: I'm not sure its a language... I think its decorative imagery. But if it is indeed writing...its repeating a word over and over again. 

-SK

Additional thought: If it is indeed a word, it would have to be a word that no letters repeat.

Edited by SkullKid
  • Upvote 2

pohatu_like_a_boss.gif

Taking into account these symbols appear in the same sequence over and over, with very little variation, the likeliest of situations is that it's just design filler. Now, that's not to say a language won't be developed later on in Bionewcle's product life cycle, with this pattern obtaining some significance later on, but as of now I wouldn't read too deep into it.

With more emphasis put into developing both the animation style and actual sets under one design theory, the worldbuilding component of the theme isn't quite as fleshed out as it's been before (at least as far as we can see right now). This is more likely a business move than anything else, taking into account Lego's need to appeal to a new, younger audience whose collective interest lies more in how awesome Tahu's lavasurfing is as opposed to the fluctuating price of maha meat in Po-Koro. Those kinds of things are secondary when you're trying to move product.

Personally, I don't see a new alphabet being made, though I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Of course, for those of you who fancy yourself linguistic enthusiasts, there's always http://www.bzpower.com/board/blog/732-in-a-hole-in-the-ground-there-lived/".

Edited by renaldohoek

I still think the symbols are as pointless as these from BIONICLE the game.

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4084673

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

It's really starting to not feel like what Bionicle was. No original matoran alphabet, the masters aren't even referred to as Toa, and why doesn't Arthaka have the mask of creation? I know it's probably a reboot, but I feel like we've lost so much.

Couldn't they've at least kept the same alphabet? Called the mask creator guy Arthaka? Toa instead of master?

It never was what BIONICLE was, nor is it intended to be... But either way, this isn't an alphabet at all, just some funky symbols that aren't really worth extrapolating an actual alphabet out of. And that does disappoint me. It isn't the exact content that I miss. It's the concept of having a deeper story. More background for those who want it, and no need to study that background for those who don't want to. This Bionicle theme doesn't offer that second level, and feels generally brainless - moreso than even Chima or Hero Factory. Sometimes I wonder why people can't fix what's broken (too many plot threads to manage) without overcompensating or 'fixing' what is NOT broken as well.

toatanusignature.png

It's entirely possible that a SIMILAR language or cipher will be introduced in some future media (such as books or magazines), but the current imagery is just gibberish used as a placeholder.

And if a year down the road that turns out not to be the case? I suppose then it falls to enterprising fans to craft an actual usable cipher with the same visual language as the gibberish "runes".

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm pretty sure the language means absolutely nothing whatsoever. Just for decoration.

I still think the symbols are as pointless as these from BIONICLE the game.

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4084673

doesn't mean we couldn't turn both of them into alphabets/languages though.

(i'd never noticed the BTG symbols before and now i'm intrigued)

I can't imagine Lego making a script that didn't translate letter-for-letter back to Latin. Also 6-7 symbols total is really low. It's a shame though. I really liked all the opportunities for easter eggs the old alphabet provided.

Mantax can win connect four in three moves.

When I first saw these symbols I immediately thought of the Grineer language from Warframe, anyone else an avid warframer? If not, check it out it's an awesome game. I loved the old matoran alphabet and I hope this is indeed an actual language and not just random symbols considering how they want to "simplify" things. 

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I wonder if Lego's gonna put out a 'guide' like they did in the classic days, showcasing all the cultures and the language of Okoto.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

why is there a temple of Makuta on Metru Nui?

If you read the title block it says "entrance to Makuta's prison" that is the prison he locked three of the toa in in LoMN

bBhcfWO.png

What if the way the symbols are written is like korean? By that I mean a bunch of small symbols combined together in syllabal blocks to make bigger symbols. That could give more freedom in the interpretation of this alphabet. (Instead of red orange light green representing a word, each represents one word). For example,, the orange one could be a combination of two horizontal lines and one vertical line. The dark green could be a horizontal, a vertical, and a square.

Seeing as how the new bionicle takes alot of inspiration from the mayans, this idea makes sense. According to wikipedia, the ancient mayans used syllable blocks of hieroglyphics. 

What do you guys think?