Ultimate Bionicle Checklist Redux

Ektris

If it helps at all (and is anything at all like what you mean!) I rejigged your kanohi checklist recently to help me decide which ones to build displays for and Hau. I mean how... Anyway, you see I put the Mata, noble and Nuva masks together and then grouped the others as logically as I could. Unfortunately, I took out all the check boxes because this is something I made for my personal use (from your work I should point out ;)) If it's of any use to anyone at all please feel free to take it. I've certainly found your checklists to be invaluable in amassing my collection thus far!

Also I know this is not quite up to date with your current version as it was done before the prototypes were removed and the pre-pro Hau was omitted. But I reckon you guys can figure that out without my help!

ALSO : I recall ADDING at least 2 more masks I think as I was trying to be as thorough as possible. I know Maxilos was one but think there was/were more.

MaskDisplays_zps7f4eb4e3.png

Shouldn't the yellow and light-blue Kaukaus be listed under Misprints? I also think Hydraxon's mask should be there next to Maxilos's one. 

It's also missing the light-gold Avohkii prototype and the black six-hole Kraahkan too. Nuparu's Pakari should probably be under Mctoran (which also has a spelling error btw)

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

If it helps at all (and is anything at all like what you mean!) I rejigged your kanohi checklist recently to help me decide which ones to build displays for and Hau. I mean how... Anyway, you see I put the Mata, noble and Nuva masks together and then grouped the others as logically as I could. Unfortunately, I took out all the check boxes because this is something I made for my personal use (from your work I should point out ;)) If it's of any use to anyone at all please feel free to take it. I've certainly found your checklists to be invaluable in amassing my collection thus far!

Also I know this is not quite up to date with your current version as it was done before the prototypes were removed and the pre-pro Hau was omitted. But I reckon you guys can figure that out without my help!

ALSO : I recall ADDING at least 2 more masks I think as I was trying to be as thorough as possible. I know Maxilos was one but think there was/were more.

Shouldn't the yellow and light-blue Kaukaus be listed under Misprints? I also think Hydraxon's mask should be there next to Maxilos's one. 

It's also missing the light-gold Avohkii prototype and the black six-hole Kraahkan too. Nuparu's Pakari should probably be under Mctoran (which also has a spelling error btw)

Someone needs to add the clear red version of the 2015 Hau, and the prototype clear red 2015 Hau to the list.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Someone needs to add the clear red version of the 2015 Hau, and the prototype clear red 2015 Hau to the list.

I'm pretty sure both of those are prototypes.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

I'm pretty sure both of those are prototypes.

Does it matter?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Prototypes aren't being included on the list anymore. I left them on my list for personal reference but they aren't being classed as official anymore. Also surely 'the clear red version of the 2015 Hau, and the prototype clear red 2015 Hau' are the same mask. I don't think we can count two masks with an identical description as different... 

TC, I did miss the standard 6-hole Kraahkan! I have no idea how, seems like a bit of a rookie mistake hey :P Also a spelling error gah. You're right that I missed Hydraxon as well, where were you with your eagle eye when I posted this pic to facebook weeks ago! 

As for the blue and yellow kaukaus I guess it's a matter of opinion. As far as I'm concerned you're right that they're misprints but they don't fit into any other 'group' so I added them to the other somewhat miscellaneous collectible items. The TNGM and the copper masks for example. All of them form part of a truly complete collection but they don't really belong anywhere.

Last up, Nuparu was a Matoran for sure but not a Mctoran. The Mctoran are an undeniable set of six unique characters. Nuparu doesn't really fit anywhere else so I just left him with the other 2001 Rahi/titans.

Anything else I missed? :P

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Last up, Nuparu was a Matoran for sure but not a Mctoran. The Mctoran are an undeniable set of six unique characters. Nuparu doesn't really fit anywhere else so I just left him with the other 2001 Rahi/titans.

He was in McToran form, but the set he came in (Boxor) was a 2002 release. :P

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

He was in McToran form, but the set he came in (Boxor) was a 2002 release. :P

I think I should go to bed so I stop getting things wrong for the day :P I wouldn't say he was in Mctoran form though, just weakened Matoran form which the Mctoran also happen to be! 2001 2002, who's counting  ^_^

Prototypes aren't being included on the list anymore. I left them on my list for personal reference but they aren't being classed as official anymore. Also surely 'the clear red version of the 2015 Hau, and the prototype clear red 2015 Hau' are the same mask. I don't think we can count two masks with an identical description as different...

Nope.

But that's cool anyways.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Feel free to clarify. Or continue being unhelpful, either is fine...

I could, or I could let you find someone with both versions.

One is normal clear red, and the other is slightly translucent. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Ah I do recall this picture actually, my apologies... Does anyone know why there were two kinds made? Was it perhaps a prototype form of the transparent clear one they used for the NYCC giveaway? Perhaps they tried making the red one transparent but had trouble doing so (hence the much more translucent version) and in the end gave up and switched to clear? Seems unlikely as Lego has been making transparent items for years but is a thought at least!

Ah I do recall this picture actually, my apologies... Does anyone know why there were two kinds made? Was it perhaps a prototype form of the transparent clear one they used for the NYCC giveaway? Perhaps they tried making the red one transparent but had trouble doing so (hence the much more translucent version) and in the end gave up and switched to clear? Seems unlikely as Lego has been making transparent items for years but is a thought at least!

You are right Munty, there is only one kind, and that's the clear one. The one with a red "supernova" like effect is a one-of-a-kind misprint(?) which ended in the 40 or so clear red Hau's DeeVee got.

All still prototypes though, and yes, as has been pointed out, I'm not including them anymore.

Even if I have one of the transparent orange Masks of Fire and would love to show that off on the checklist. :P

Also, thanks for the link Munty. Will update tonight if I remember. And keep tabs for whenever the gold and blue ones show up, which hopefully happens.

~|ET|~

Edited by Ektris

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Alright, for the heck of it, I'm going to post my own "combiner component" checklist; basically all the doubles (or in some cases, quintuples, I'm sure) needed if you want to make all the combiners/alternate models coexist with the component sets. This excludes the five combiners released as sets by themselves (Takutanuva, Ultimate Dume, Voporak, Irnakk and Vezon & Kardas). Question: Should over six components on the same horizontal line if they're a part of the same set series? (e.g. putting all 19 Turaga components on the same horizontal line)

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

You are right Munty, there is only one kind, and that's the clear one. The one with a red "supernova" like effect is a one-of-a-kind misprint(?) which ended in the 40 or so clear red Hau's DeeVee got.

I wonder if DeeVee's willing to sell one of those clear red mask of fire's, in the future. I would love to get my hands on one official or not.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

TC, I did miss the standard 6-hole Kraahkan! I have no idea how, seems like a bit of a rookie mistake hey :P Also a spelling error gah. You're right that I missed Hydraxon as well, where were you with your eagle eye when I posted this pic to facebook weeks ago! 

As for the blue and yellow kaukaus I guess it's a matter of opinion. As far as I'm concerned you're right that they're misprints but they don't fit into any other 'group' so I added them to the other somewhat miscellaneous collectible items. The TNGM and the copper masks for example. All of them form part of a truly complete collection but they don't really belong anywhere.

You missed the Mata red Great Huna from the Matoran in the Karzahni set, didn't you?

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Alright, for the heck of it, I'm going to post my own "combiner component" checklist; basically all the doubles (or in some cases, quintuples, I'm sure) needed if you want to make all the combiners/alternate models coexist with the component sets. This excludes the five combiners released as sets by themselves (Takutanuva, Ultimate Dume, Voporak, Irnakk and Vezon & Kardas). Question: Should over six components on the same horizontal line if they're a part of the same set series? (e.g. putting all 19 Turaga components on the same horizontal line)

My preference is to just pick a max number you want the lines to hit and then wrap around. But keeping everything related to the same combiner/type of combiner in the same line, regardless of how long, should be pretty clear I think.

Or you could just have one listing per set, with multiple checkboxes.

You missed the Mata red Great Huna from the Matoran in the Karzahni set, didn't you?

Sarda's mask is identical to the one included with Vakama and Balta.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

My preference is to just pick a max number you want the lines to hit and then wrap around. But keeping everything related to the same combiner/type of combiner in the same line, regardless of how long, should be pretty clear I think.

~|ET|~

Thanks for the suggestions.

And the one in 2006 QUICK Good Guy Red?

Edited by TomRoid

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

~|ET|~

Huh. It looks red on the box art. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Ugh, Majhost is still down...

Updated the first post with Flickr mirrors. (Which includes the updated mask list with better Skull Spider pics.)

Also:

16296483115_a08cde7e27_o.png

Totally a boring list. :P

~|ET|~

Edited by Ektris

E-T... Phone home.

the_combiner_component_checklist_for_reaI've made it!

This is my own checklist for all the components needed for all of the combiners and alternate models.

Few things to note:

• I did not include the five combiners released as actual, standalone sets (Takutanuva, Ultimate Dume, Voporak, Irnakk and Vezon & Kardas).
  • I did not include any of the 15 Master Builder Set models.
  • I did include all of the playsets alternate models by just listing all of the playsets here (don't worry, I haven't forgotten about the Caravan Crawler).They may all have alternate models, be it on the back of their boxes for '05 and '06 or instructions for '07. If I've made a mistake (like one of the playsets here actually doesn't have an alternate model), please let me know.
  • I did include the "Golden Bionicle" of the Stars sets.
  • I did include both 2002 Rahi "From your own collection" models (Ranama and Kirikori Nui).
  • I did include any and all Kabaya (including the slightly different back of the box ones) and foreign combiners like the Nuhvok/Kohrak combiner, the Japanese "Manga inspired" combiner and the two Korean Piraka combiners. More information here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15332-comprehensive-bionicle-alternate-model-database/

I absolutely do not understand that list :P Does it include the sets you need for the combiners AND a full normal collection? I guess it can't as it only has one set of Mata but I have no idea what these other combiners are! Barraki combiners? Fero+skirmix? I'm unfamiliar with this stuff I guess!!

One box per set needed to make all combiners or alternate models to which they contribute pieces.

Ehlek + Carapar + Mantax = Pit War Tortoise

Takadox + Kalhmah + Pridak = Zyglak

Fero & Skirmix + Malum = Sand Stalker (This one I forgot about too though. :P)

If you know what exactly you're looking at, it works. But yeah this is kinda why I never wanted to make one... List sets and it's not clear what you're making. List combination models and it's not clear what you need. List both and... well now you've got equations and not such a clean-cut checklist.

The only ones I'm confused by are the 2003 Matoran - what's the second for all of those??

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

Wow those are obscure! The first two don't even have pictures :P Thankfully I'm not into all the alternate models and I don't even have space to display the main forms so would be pretty crazy to hunt down the rest! I'm sure one day I'll put the rest together but it'll be when we're in a bigger house with my collection on display :D

Re: Ektris' post: Yeah, that's definitely a mistake. All 6 2003 matoran are needed to make 2 combiners, but it's not a clear-cut "these 3 make this combiner and those 3 make that one". It's more that both combiners require pieces from all 6, but both can be built with only one set of six. Hope that makes sense :P

@Munty: if you want to see some REALLY obscure combiners (much more so than those 3), check out Volitak_Boxor's "Comprehensive Alternate Model Database": http://tinyurl.com/ll439am

There's also a link to it in his sig I believe :)

Edit: D'oh. TomRoid already linked that, my bad.

Edited by takanuva1988

Looking for VMKK, GPKK, SSKK, and a gold Kanoka. PM if you have / know of any for sale!

One box per set needed to make all combiners or alternate models to which they contribute pieces.

Ehlek + Carapar + Mantax = Pit War Tortoise

Takadox + Kalhmah + Pridak = Zyglak

Fero & Skirmix + Malum = Sand Stalker (This one I forgot about too though. :P)

If you know what exactly you're looking at, it works. But yeah this is kinda why I never wanted to make one... List sets and it's not clear what you're making. List combination models and it's not clear what you need. List both and... well now you've got equations and not such a clean-cut checklist.

The only ones I'm confused by are the 2003 Matoran - what's the second for all of those??

~|ET|~

Um... How about putting images of the combiners at the left side of the checklist with their components being on the corresponding vertical row?

There were also some contest models with creator-made instructions made of them, if they are eligible for this checklist.

Re: Ektris' post: Yeah, that's definitely a mistake. All 6 2003 matoran are needed to make 2 combiners, but it's not a clear-cut "these 3 make this combiner and those 3 make that one". It's more that both combiners require pieces from all 6, but both can be built with only one set of six. Hope that makes sense  :P

Oh, I see. So it's just the one set of 6 you need, correct?

Edited by TomRoid

If you want to get really picky and/or save a few dollars, I think that you could even eliminate one check box each for Onua and Pohatu (corresponding to the black Fikou).  It looks like two of the three Bohrok Va Kabaya combiners leave an unused Onua claw, Akamai doesn't use the black Pakari, and I'm pretty sure that you could find the necessary black sockets, axles, head, and ball pieces in the piles of unused parts from other combiners (granted, I haven't checked, but it seems pretty likely).  That would mean you wouldn't need a whole extra Onua and Pohatu just for the little Fikou, but on the other hand, it could turn organizing this list into a convoluted mess.  I don't think that there are any other redundancies on this list,because most combiners use most of their sets' unique parts, but I'm not 100% sure.

Aside from that tidbit, I think the combiner checklist looks great!  Mind if I use it / link to it in the combiner database? 

Edited by Volitak_Boxor

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

To be fair, if you want to be REALLLY picky, you could build a lot of these without half of the sets. Some of them use a tiny amount of pieces from their parent sets, you could bricklink them for less than it would cost to get the sets!

On another note, where did all these combiners come from??? Of course I'm aware of most of the official ones and some magazine ones but what are the rest of these things? Tons of them are just hideous monstrosities (like the Dark hunters I like to complain about!) Are these fan-made models that were featured in the magazines or something? Or is each and every one an official model? Seeing how terrible some of them are I think I've decided right now that I never want to display all the alternate sets. Some of them are just awful  :(

I would like to point out that the Hordika heads should be classed as "Kanohi-Like" as the Hordika could not access their powers while in that state.

And I would also like to point out that their inclusion on the mask list predates even the existence of a mask-like list. Both also only exist as they are because others demanded it so.

I'm not exactly inclined to remove them from the mask list as a result. They're still more Kanohi than any of the others, at any rate.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

On another note, where did all these combiners come from??? Of course I'm aware of most of the official ones and some magazine ones but what are the rest of these things? Tons of them are just hideous monstrosities (like the Dark hunters I like to complain about!) Are these fan-made models that were featured in the magazines or something? Or is each and every one an official model? Seeing how terrible some of them are I think I've decided right now that I never want to display all the alternate sets. Some of them are just awful  :(

Many of the stranger combiners came from foreign promotions, such as the various Kabaya sets, a Korean triple-pack of Piraka, or the Japanese Lego Magazine.  All of the models in the database linked in my sig have been endorsed by Lego in some form or another, although there's a bit of a grey area on just how "official" some of them are.  On the other hand, some clearly official combiners might just look ugly to you.  Any models in particular that you were wondering about?

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

From my experience, I've built a good bunch of the alternate models and am continually surprised at how many I am able to make with orders of spare parts from eBay. Supplement that with a few BL orders like Munty said, and you can build a TON of these. Having bought 2 big parts lots and only about 4-5 actual sets, I'd say I'm about a third to halfway there in terms of parts required to build all of the combiners. I actually started making a list just like this one of how many copies of each set I would need, but it turns out there are much cheaper ways to go about it.

Yeah Munty, some of these are really quite hideous. So far, I've found the Lego Magazine instructions to be the best-looking sets (eg. Toa Jovan), along with some of the Japanese models (Red and Brown Rahkshi combiner, bohrok combiner). Whereas ironically, a lot of the less "gray-area" sets are just horrendous (vahki combiner, Gaardus). Interestingly, a lot of the bigger, ugly looking mashups of 6 sets actually look less ugly in real life than in the pictures.

Edited by takanuva1988

Looking for VMKK, GPKK, SSKK, and a gold Kanoka. PM if you have / know of any for sale!

I'm sure there are a bunch I could name that I like less than the others Volitak but it's late here so I think I'll leave it to your imagination! You're quite right though, there's an almost equal chance of a combiner I dislike being officially endorsed or not. And as Takanuva says, some of the best ones are unofficial while some of the ugly ones are straight from Lego so go figure!!!

So in light of recent news, I'll be updating the mask checklist tonight to add the transparent orange Mask of Fire.

I'll also upload the Kraata update I've been sitting on that adds much-needed labels.

To the Flickr mirrors. Because Majhost is still down. Maybe I should do a complete flip around of which are the mirrors while I'm at it...

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.