2015 Onua, just me then?

Munty

I like the Onua set because I like purple and gold, and think that purple and gold go well together. Also warhammers. 

But for Onua? I generally think that purple and gold are royal colors, not the kind of thing you'd want in a gritty underground environment. That kind of clashes in my mind, makes him less consistent. I'd rather see him in all black. 

• Upvote 1

I like the Onua set because I like purple and gold, and think that purple and gold go well together. Also warhammers. 

But for Onua? I generally think that purple and gold are royal colors, not the kind of thing you'd want in a gritty underground environment. That kind of clashes in my mind, makes him less consistent. I'd rather see him in all black. 

Purple and gold are usually associated as royal colors, but the addition of black and silver balances things out for me. Plus the gold and purple are used much less than the overall black and silver.

Purple and gold are usually associated as royal colors, but the addition of black and silver balances things out for me. Plus the gold and purple are used much less than the overall black and silver.

I don't think it's a "balence" between purple/gold and black/silver: I think the purple/gold shouldn't be there at all. 

But that's just my taste in earth digging Toa. Given the choice between having a mottled Onua and no purple/gold anywhere, that's a tough choice, because I like those colors in general. So the current state of affairs doesn't bother me too much, since I have plenty of spare black limb pieces lying around (thanks HF :P) which I can use to MoC me a more pleasing Onua. 

Maybe black shoulder pads would work?  :shrugs:

I think that Pohatu, Lewa, Kopaka and Gali could all have benefited from one minor tweak on each set. Brown hands/feet for Pohatu, Green hands/feet and better mask for Lewa, better mask for Gali, less gold for Kopaka. Tahu I dislike but I don't want to go off-topic.

For Onua, it's the size of his upper body compared to his lower body. He's too bulky. Kongu Mahri is laughing in his face.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

I think the biggest problem was the gold. I absolutely love and welcome purple, and the silver is very complementing to those two colors. The gold feels just thrown in, but it isn't too distracting for me personally. They probably just added the gold because the other two toa of his price range got it.

My initial thoughts are that Onua is probably the 2015 Toa set I like the least, and even then I think it's a pretty good set.  I just don't yet know how I feel about the wide shoulders, only really having the promo images and brief NYCC glimpses to go on so far.  In some pictures they look awkward and in some they look fine, so I'm withholding final judgement until I see a better range of pictures.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Trans-purple, already rare in its own right, makes this set a must-buy.

Although I will say, I think Onua might look better with silver instead of gold (even though the gold pops).

If anything, I'm not really digging Lewa this wave, it's really his mask that just creeps me out.

The long awaited third season of TA:OT is finally here!!

Yeah, Lewa's probably my least favorite this time around, too. Odd, seeing as he's always been one of my favorites in the past.

The big surprise for me this wave is Pohatu, however. I have a fondness for Pohatu Mata, but I didn't expect the new one to be so appealing. I do hope they go with trans-yellow rather than trans-lime for his bones, but he looks really cool either way.

• Upvote 1

My primary reason for getting Onua is, apart from being part of the Toa team, he is the only set I've seen so far with a hammer weapon that screams "SMASH STUFF!" to me.

-Tomdroidser

Featuring: Arkham Firefly/The LEGO Movie Quiz

Now Entering: The Rise of DarkSaber
Two personal thanks to Black Six for Proto Boost.
(Expired) Topics: HF MOC BBC #69 Entry: Jaller Inika Rebuilt 

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

Hmm. He looks kind of nondescript with just silver... What if we replaced the silver with black, and left the gold?

Although I'm a fan of just the silver, I'd like to see this too. Might be even better.

One thing I don't like about 2015 Onua:

He's not hunched.

I also agree with comments that Onua should have that hunched appearance he used to have but he doesn't really seem to. He's got the ridiculously huge torso but his head sits on top of it like all the other Toa.

Same tho. I'm not about to drop $20 on him, but I'd like to see someone finagle a hunch in there. It would make the massive shoulders look a little less out of place.

Now, jumping onto this train of thought:

And, IMO, I always saw Onua and Pohatu as being about equal in strength, with Pohatu maybe being a bit stronger naturally but Onua getting a big boost from his mask that makes him stronger overall.

I always assumed Onua was the big, upper-body-strength strongman-type, whereas Pohatu was the lower-body-strength athlete type. It seemed implied to me from early on, what with Pohatu's kicking-tools and Onua's digging claws. I just didn't like that Pohatu was significantly stronger after they both had their own Pakaris it made Onua's Pakari seem redundant somehow.

I always felt both Onua and Pohatu were the havy hitters of the team, but where Onua was wise and mighty, I felt Pohatu was pure energy mixed with strenght. Onua would be thoughtful and wise, while Pohatu would be hands on, rush in, kinda guy.

Regarding Pohatu v Onua comments I have always been of the opinion that Pohatu was quick and agile while Onua was big and strong as said by others. Who said that Pohatu was the strongest one? Greg? Not writer Greg? I mean, that doesn't quite make it canon but still... It's Greg!

See, gen1!Pohatu was only quick and agile because of his Kakama; without it he was pretty slow and heavy. My guess is that Greg decided to apply the same logic to Onua and say he was only strong because of his Pakari. But I agree with Wrinkledlion -- if they're both Pakari'd up, Onua should still be stronger (Now, of course, it looks like gen2!Pohatu might have some more natural speed and agility -- but there's also been some indication that their masks don't actually have the same powers, if any, as their gen1 counterparts, which would also explain why they bulked up Onua so much).

I too always saw Pohatu and Onua as the team's heavy hitters, but for different respective reasons. Onua I assumed to be the strongest in terms of dishing out brute force, but I always assumed Pohatu was the strongest in terms of stamina and durability (just take his first appearance in comic #1, for instance -- he appears entirely at ease following Kopaka around while completely out of his own element; he ventured up Mount Ihu in the first place because he was "practicing." Consider that: when the other Toa have to leave their own elements, it's a pretty big deal for them -- think Gali climbing and Lewa swimming in comic #2 -- but when Pohatu leaves his element?* Just casually brushing up on his rock-kicking skills).

So they remain the team's heavies because Onua can deal massive amounts of damage without faltering, and Pohatu can take massive amounts of damage without faltering.

I would love to see the new story take this angle -- if Pohatu is the smallest, but can take a beating and keep on standing...well, that would be pretty metal

:rolleyes:

*Not only that, but leaves his element to explore the harshest, most unforgiving element for him -- we know from Kopeke at the battle of Kini-Nui in MNOG1 that, canonically, ice beats stone

Edited by Jacks
  • Upvote 10

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

The colour scheme is too much. They would have been fine with just Black, Purple, and Gold. No need for the Silver. 

I don't like the bulky build. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for unique builds (Pridak was my favourite Barraki). So I can appreciate the unique build. Onua's physique is simply not to my tastes. But insofar as a unique build goes...I think the only thing unique is a different chest plate, and placement of pins. 

Edited by Prime Axiom

This thread has gone pretty well. After a shaky start it seems I'm quite definitely not the only one who isn't jumping for joy over this new Onua. Better yet, all these pictures and discussions are actually leading me to dislike him slightly less (although it is making me feel sorry for his plight!) Is there a thread about Gali's mask somewhere so I can try to stop hating that mess so much too???

Again, a cry for help on the part identity used for Onua's gold armour. Does anyone know what sets this is currently in? I just want to identify it so I can try to get them in silver for release date. Would consider getting the shoulders in gold too but doubt that'll happen until they start with some new titans (I called it here, that piece will be gold one day!)

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

This thread has gone pretty well. After a shaky start it seems I'm quite definitely not the only one who isn't jumping for joy over this new Onua. Better yet, all these pictures and discussions are actually leading me to dislike him slightly less (although it is making me feel sorry for his plight!) Is there a thread about Gali's mask somewhere so I can try to stop hating that mess so much too???

Again, a cry for help on the part identity used for Onua's gold armour. Does anyone know what sets this is currently in? I just want to identify it so I can try to get them in silver for release date. Would consider getting the shoulders in gold too but doubt that'll happen until they start with some new titans (I called it here, that piece will be gold one day!)

The part used for Onua's gold armor is one of the most common new parts in the new theme. You have a lot of options if you want it in silver:

One each in 70778 Protector of Jungle, 70780 Protector of Water, and 70783 Protector of Fire,

Two each in 70779 Protector of Stone, 70784 Lewa - Master of Jungle, and 70786 Gali - Master of Water

Three in 70785 Pohatu - Master of Stone

Considering that, your cheapest option to get four of them to replace the ones on Onua would be to get two extra Protector of Stone sets. Alternatively, you could swap the gold ones with the silver ones on some of the other sets if you thought any of them might look better with gold.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

*snip*

I don't like the bulky build. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for unique builds (Pridak was my favourite Barraki). So I can appreciate the unique build. Onua's physique is simply not to my tastes. But insofar as a unique build goes...I think the only thing unique is a different chest plate, and placement of pins. 

I can see why some might not like Onua's body build, but I definitely think it's unique. There was a lot of stuff going on inside to keep his armor together. All the toa have somewhat similar basic builds, but are all made very unique in their own ways.

I think the trans-purple, gold, silver, and black are all a little too busy together, but it's still really nice. It gets across the big, massive strength that Onua is renowned for better than the Mata version, but I agree that he now seems a little bit busy. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I just think they over-did it this time to be honest. He looks really top-heavy (that chestplate especially). I do like that they've exaggerated one of his key traits, but I think it'd be perfect if they just toned it down a tiny bit, or spread out the bulkiness to some of his lower areas.

I also think it's worthy to note that I really love what they've done with the mask. You can tell straight away that it's a pakari but it just looks more modernized to fit with what LEGO is going for with this wave of sets.

So pretty much I agree with everything you said. Then again, I never really liked Onua in the original Bionicle, so maybe that's just me. :/

Edited by PlatinumApple

*INSERT WITTY COMMENT HERE* chimoru2015spinnie.gif

(Credit to Click for the Bionicle 2015 spinnie!)

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I was not pleased originally with any of the designs except Kopaka, but they have all grown on me including Onua.  Its not the best obviously but I can deal with it and I really do like the hammer now.

Droid-does-or-Motorola-Droid-250x100.jpg

Bionerd43 1+5+6+34=15634

IF you like the BOSTON CELTICS BASKETBALL TEAM or the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS FOOTBALL TEAM PM me.

Ussal Crab Club member!! Oh SO Very Crabby

The armour pieces make it look like he should be able to transform into an armoured ball or something like a Bohrok or something similar. :P

That being said I think his design is fine but as with some of the other Toa, the colour scheme probably could have been done better. I'm actually quite curious about the whole metallic piece thing. It feels a bit erratic - they must have something specific in mind.

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

The part used for Onua's gold armor is one of the most common new parts in the new theme. You have a lot of options if you want it in silver:

cheapest option to get four of them to replace the ones on Onua would be to get two extra Protector of Stone sets. Alternatively, you could swap the gold ones with the silver ones on some of the other sets if you thought any of them might look better with gold.

When Lucina first mentioned this part existing in other colours I wrongly assumed that it already existed as a brick! Scratch a whole bunch of time looking for a reference... (For those interested though, the Hau is now listed [MODERATOR NOTE this link is broken and broke the rest of the page somehow??] Seeing as it won't be out till the rest of the sets are I won't be able to have spares ready but I'll certainly try mocking up the silver Onua post-release. Depending on how I feel about the protectors they may not even stay out on display in which case I can use their parts. I'm really not one for fiddling with sets though, more a genuine collector. Just feel like Lego is forcing my hand on this one...

I also think it's worthy to note that I really love what they've done with the mask. You can tell straight away that it's a pakari but it just looks more modernized to fit with what LEGO is going for with this wave of sets.

I'm still not seeing this huge similarity that everyone else is. I'm also concerned that the masks seem pretty small when compared to the original Mata Kanohi. Like in this pic of the Hau prototypes...

10712706_10152769161141763_2634030978561

Edited by Makaru
broken link broke the rest of the page?? Looking into solutions.

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Mostly everything about Onua's design should says "bleh" to me. Hulk torso is no. The gold is garish. He has a large face on his chest what is that EVEN about?

But the colour balance is perfect. The mask is, in my opinion, the best redesign overall. And it's Onua and I've always been biased towards the earth characters and I will probably purchase multiples of him.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I don't really like the tertiary metallic colors on any of the toa, but I think the rest of the set looks pretty good. Onepu was my first set, and ever since then I have loved purple as a secondary earth color.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that the new color schemes will make it easier for people to sorta forget about color layering and color blocking, and start to be more audacious with their color placement. This is kinda disappointing, but I don't see it making me want any of the sets any less, because I am fully intent I on buying the entire first wave. That being said, I honestly do not like Pohatu all that much. He was my favorite Toa, but his new form sorta shrinks him down far too much to my liking.

Back on topic, I think I like Onua with silver instead of gold. His current form is meh, but the one with silver is so much better.

:tohu:

Edited by Mohamed Marei

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that the new color schemes will make it easier for people to sorta forget about color layering and color blocking, and start to be more audacious with their color placement. This is kinda disappointing, but I don't see it making me want any of the sets any less, because I am fully intent I on buying the entire first wave. That being said, I honestly do not like Pohatu all that much. He was my favorite Toa, but his new form sorta shrinks him down far too much to my liking.

Back on topic, I think I like Onua with silver instead of gold. His current form is meh, but the one with silver is so much better.

:tohu:

But... Pohatu's always been one of the smallest Toa. The only exception was the version in Rockoh T3, which had more or less average height.

If I have any issue with him, it's not his height but rather his piece count and the fact that he doesn't do anything terribly creative with his armor.

Anyway, I hardly think these sets will make people forget about color layering and color blocking. And most of their color schemes are still fairly organized anyway, even if they are more complex than the incredibly systematic color schemes of the Toa Mata or Toa Metru.

• Upvote 1

Being the resident OnuaNUT I wish Onua would always have Mata-style claws ;).
But jokes aside, I really like his bulkier new design and the black/purple color-scheme. Onepu sold me on purple Onu-Korans from the get-go.

My only criticism would be that his shoulder pads really ought to be gold. With them being silver, they blend in too much with his digging claws when his hammer is in alt-mode. Lucina's mock-up shows perfectly that the same part in a different color can make all the difference.

Edited by OnuaNut
[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

cheapest option to get four of them to replace the ones on Onua would be to get two extra Protector of Stone sets. Alternatively, you could swap the gold ones with the silver ones on some of the other sets if you thought any of them might look better with gold.

When Lucina first mentioned this part existing in other colours I wrongly assumed that it already existed as a brick! Scratch a whole bunch of time looking for a reference... (For those interested though, the Hau is now listed [MODERATOR NOTE this link is broken and broke the rest of the page somehow??] Seeing as it won't be out till the rest of the sets are I won't be able to have spares ready but I'll certainly try mocking up the silver Onua post-release. Depending on how I feel about the protectors they may not even stay out on display in which case I can use their parts. I'm really not one for fiddling with sets though, more a genuine collector. Just feel like Lego is forcing my hand on this one...

I'm still not seeing this huge similarity that everyone else is. I'm also concerned that the masks seem pretty small when compared to the original Mata Kanohi. Like in this pic of the Hau prototypes...

10712706_10152769161141763_2634030978561

I think they're that size just to work with the new heads they're going with for this wave. I mean, it is pretty much an entirely new system without any pegs at all. And I don't think LEGO intended for them to be too incredibly alike, just similar so fans of the old could still tell which kanohi was which. Considering they're using the old Mata characters, I think it's necessary they kept some of the key features of the masks the same, otherwise people would probably be raging all over BZPower: "z0mG i haet lego wat hav dey done wiht mai favurit toa?!?!?!?!" 

Then again that's just my opinion...

*INSERT WITTY COMMENT HERE* chimoru2015spinnie.gif

(Credit to Click for the Bionicle 2015 spinnie!)

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

New Onua is lovely. I'm very pleased that the new Toa don't all share the same physique, with Onua being short and stocky, Pohatu being small and speedy (like many runners), Tahu being tall and heroic, Lewa being tall and gangly, and Kopaka being tall and bulky. It creates a more diverse and interesting-looking team than any Toa team from the past.

Agree 100%, didn't even notice until you pointed it out. 

If the Toa did have different abilities why would they all look the same?

I guess Lego became more innovative with the pieces during Bionicle's dormant stage. 

Good point!

OT: The color scheme of black and purple do look nice, but they should've either chosen gold or silver, not both, to complement the combo.

Edited by MrTripDub

heropose.png

Credit to Smooth! for HeroPose banner!

This member is all-out awesome! http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showuser=*

Check out my epic! http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?sho...p;#entry6617237

I love the build of the new Onua (or, as I like to call him "Newa Newa". Get it?). However, the color scheme could have been improved a TINY bit. However, I love the black and trans purple together. Gold and silver I could do without...

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Any chance of a few more shopped pics Lucina? Maybe try losing all the gold in favour of silver as it's already been said that those parts are available in silver. If it looks good I may even bricklink them for the release date so I don't have to spend money on a set that looks so wierd!

Another good one would be to make those 4 purple pieces black (if they're available in that colour!) Maybe show us how it would look with ZERO gold and purple. I might build that set myself if it looks good... 

(apologies for some traces of gold)

definitely makes for a subtler look. not bad.

I prefer gold because lunar limo but silver onua is definitely an okay look.

I can't say i'd be optimistic about making the purple black; then he would be monochromatic. I always prefer a black color scheme to have a bright highlight color.

Hmm. He looks kind of nondescript with just silver... What if we replaced the silver with black, and left the gold?

(That may be beyond the power of a quick-and-easy Photoshop, I dunno)

I have arranged it, didn't have enough patience to recolor both shovels but one arm shovel is still silver so you can compare the differences.

onua.jpg

• Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg