Toa 2015: From best to worst in your opinion?

BioniCro

1: Gali. Great mask, weapons, and build. And a new color! I can't think of anything to dislike about this set. And it may include a launcher??

2: Onua. Wonderfully unique build, and I'd even say it overshadows the scrawny original. The color scheme works fine for me. Only thing I dislike is the hammer, which doesn't seem to me like the right weapon for this pacifistic Toa. But I'm very happy about it converting into claws.

3: Lewa. His mask has only the slightest resemblance to the Miru, but it looks very appropriate for a Wind character, as do his awesome axes. Unfortunately, despite making him Master of Jungle they didn't incorporate even a hint of that element ino his design. I don't like his flight mode, either. But actual bright green! It's been so long!

4: Tahu. Nice and reminiscent of the original, plus a real lavaboard. But four swords? Really? Who uses swords while they're surfing! And I'm not a fan of how the gold swords look, either in his hands or sprouting from his back.

5: Kopaka. I like the mask; it's better than any Akaku was in my opinion. The set in general is okay, although I don't particularly love the six-unit-thick shins. But the weapons look very underwhelming to me. The spear has an ice flame unappealingly tacked on to an old part that's had its day, and the shield looks super unwieldy.

6: Pohatu. Still not a bad set; I like all the Masters to slightly varying degrees. But this set has a chartreuse-and-brown color scheme, paltry weapons with no relation to the element of Stone, and the blandest build of the line, without a hint of the inspiration's memorable kicking function.

Wow, you totally reversed my list...

1. Tahu

2. Lewa

3. Kopaka

4. Gali

5. Onua

6. Pohatu

maybe im a major Tahu fanboy but for real, he looks so heroic and looks optimus-prime like. having two sets of swords cant hurt. 

I love everything about his 2015 designs. The large fire swords makes it look like he's ready to brawl, whereas the golden swords looks like he's going to do some fancy silat or escrima moves. 

1. Gali - I actually really like her mask, and it reminds me of both her Mata and Nuva masks while remaining new and unique. I also feel like she has the best colour scheme out of all the Toa; I really can't find anything I don't like about her so far.

2. Kopaka - His lower legs worry me, but that aside his mask is easily the most accurate of them all, and his spear + shield combo is awesome (as is all the trans-light blue).

3. Onua - I can't get over how much of a powerhouse Onua is now; I love it! His mask is also one of the more accurate ones, and the use of purple (including trans-purple!) is very welcome. Also, I'm going to act as if his primary weapon is a giant hammer, and that is totally wicked.

4. Lewa - While on some level I do kind of wish that Lewa's old Mata/Nuva colour scheme had been brought back, I think the Keetorange works very well with the green (especially with him being a Toa of "jungle" now), and he also seems very lithe and agile. My main complaint is that his mask bears no resemblance whatsoever to his old masks.

5. Tahu - Tahu looks cool and all, but something about him just seems... plain, as if LEGO were playing it safe with him. I can't really explain it.

6. Pohatu - This might be the only one of the group that I don't quite like. While his mask is good (it actually resembles Photok's mask quite nicely, which was originally a Noble Mask of Speed) and it's nice to see brown return, I'm not a fan of him mostly being silver. The arms (one all silver, one all brown) are also bugging me, and I'll have to see him in person to decide whether I like the trans-lime green limbs or not.

1. 70786 Gali: Master of Water (DAT DARK AZURE n GUNMETAL)

2. 70784 Lewa: Master of Jungle (DAT BRIGHT GREEN)

3. 70785 Pohatu: Master of Stone (DAT HUKI ORANGE)

4. 70786 Tahu: Master of Fire (Meh... standard CCBS fair)

5. 70787 Kopaka: Master of Ice (OH GOD WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOUR LEGS)

6. 70788 Onua: Master of Earth (G*******T STOP FALLING ASLEEP YOU BULKY B*****D)

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

Oh, that's a bit hard to say...

1. Lewa

2. Kopaka

3. Tahu

4. Gali

5. Onua

6. Pohatu

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

1) Tahu - Mask, color, weapons, body design; all great and scream TAHU!

2) Onua - Like Tahu, all things are in place...but somehow Gorilla Grodd keeps coming to mind.

3) Pohatu - Design, not so much. But his coloring, mask, and weapons save the day. Boomerangs! 

4) Lewa - A Jungle Toa with an ape-like stature and axes? Count me in!

5) Gali - I love the MoL:Movie inspired mask and the color. But her design and weapons are just O.K.

6) Kopaka - White/Gold/Ice-Blue coloring and a wonky-looking shield? Meh. I do like his bulky armor though.

:pakari:

[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

1: Tahu - Good colors, nice mask, tho the foots could be red.

2: Pohatu - Simple and brown is back.

3: Onua - Interesting mask and features, tho the purple doesn't work on him.

4: Lewa - Green is back and nice axes, but the silver is a little off.

5: Kopaka - Gold ? What ? Really strange legs.

6: Gali - This whole set is just wrong.

1. Kopaka, he feels a lot like a rip-off of Roronoa Zoro from the One Piece manga series in terms of personality.

2.Tahu

3.Pohatu

4.Onua bonus points for trans purple but the Hulk chest doesn't fit in any way.

5.Gali

6.Lewa, sigh this is the least recognizable of all of them. Silver and keetongu yellow thrown into green and a mask that looks like Jimi Stringer. I think Lewa fell of a high tree blindfolded and hit every branch on the way down

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

1. Kopaka: Love the colour scheme and the yellow/silver/white/blue actually flow well together. also homg those swords

2. Gali: One of the better masks of the lot and the colours flow well together, too.

3. Onua: Simply for trying something radically different when it comes to set design. also purple

4. Tahu: For virtue of being Tahu. Not loving the mask and the unnecessary usage of silver (IF ONLY HIS FEET WERE RED)

5. Lewa: JEEBUS that mask is ugly. Again, too much silver but the green-ness of him saves him.

6. Pohatu: The mask is cool, but he's probably the most generic of the builds. WHY IS THERE SO MUCH GREY/SILVER D:

Just checked the average support for each Toa. Current rankings are...

1. Kopaka (average ranking: 2.99)

2. Pohatu (average ranking: 3.19)

3. Tahu (average ranking: 3.24)

4. Onua (average ranking: 3.5)

5. Gali (average ranking: 3.98)

6. Lewa (average ranking: 4.1)

Evidently, none of the Toa are overwhelmingly among people's favorites or least favorites. I'm in a bit of a rush so can't draw any other specific conclusions, but it's good to see that the designers did a good job appealing to a broad range of interests.

• Upvote 1

This is based upon the sets themselves.  I am not factoring in the online bios for the characters, especially those that I feel don't fit the characters that I know and love.  That being said, there will be some quite a bit of bias from 2001 bleeding through this list, but I suppose that's just the unavoidable side effect of being an old nostalgic Mr. Old Man Cranky Pants taking a look at the fresh new lineup and seeing how they compare.  You're asking for my opinion, and for better or for worse, that opinion has been shaped by my experience.  Nonetheless, I also try to look at this from an objective point of view and see their strengths and weaknesses in build, color scheme, and uniqueness.

1. Kopaka.  Now, this is a set I can look at and say without a doubt, "This is the legendary hero that I remember seeing for the first time in Carlos D'Anda's full-page spread."  He stands tall and dignified, and he has a degree of bulk to his build that gives him the air of a powerful warrior, and yet he avoids looking like a Hulk.  The mask is unmistakeably Kopaka's as well, even remembering to put the telescopic lens over the correct eye (even if this no longer has place in the story, considering it's now a Mask of Ice and no longer a Mask of Vision, but again that's why I'm only factoring in the sets), and the fact that one of his weapons is a shield that can split into a pair of ice skates is another nice little touch.  Personally, I feel that the white, trans-blue, and gold color scheme works well, with the grey and black (being neutral colors) not being too distracting.
  2. Tahu.  In many respects, he shares Kopaka's strengths.  He is instantly recognizable as Tahu (though, I admit, I might have gotten a little too used to the prototype Mask of Fire), has a pair of flameswords that can combine into a lavaboard, and has a strong color scheme of red, trans-orange, and gold, but the grey hands and silver swords are a little more glaring against the warm color scheme.  Especially when compared to the Masters that comprise the lower half of this list, he too has some bulk that makes him appear more like a powerful, dignified, legendary hero, but not quite as much as Kopaka (though, in that regard, I can definitely appreciate that LEGO does not want to make their Toa all look the same).
  3. Onua.  I admit, it had to take a while for this one to grow on me, but that's partially because Onua was my personal favorite of the Toa Mata and therefore it had to take some getting used to the changes they made.  What's good about Onua?  He's certainly the most unique of the Masters, with a big Hulk-like build that plays up his physical strength.  It's good to finally see a Toa wielding a hammer, and I'm loving the use of trans-purple in the color scheme.  However, having both gold and silver as prominent colors was a poor choice; it should have been either one or the other, and that would have helped his visual appeal a lot, as evidenced by some fan-made Photoshopped edits of his image.  I also feel that his huge bulk makes his arms and hands look tiny in comparison... larger hands (dare I say it, claws?) might have helped in that regard.  And I know what you're going to say, "But he has shovel hands as an alternate weapon!", but... again, this is why the silver/gold contrast works against the set, because the silver shovel hands look out-of-place.  Still, he is, again, very unique among the Masters, and I am glad to see that.
  4. Pohatu.  For better or for worse, Pohatu and the other two remaining Masters will be cheaper sets than the previous three, and what they make up in affordability they loose in diversity, and as a result they don't stand out as much to me.  They don't have that same air of mighty, legendary heroes that Kopaka, Tahu, and Onua have.  Still, Pohatu ranks the highest mainly due to nostalgic preference: his mask is recognizable, and it's great to see a return to a brown...ish color scheme for everyone's favorite Toa of Stone.  However, I'm not sure how I feel about the use of trans-yellow, and the precedence of silver in his color scheme makes him look a little bland.  But hey, boomerang weapons, those are a neat and original choice for Toa weapons, right?
  5. Gali.  She's got a fine, if somewhat bland (due to the precedence of shades of silver) appearance.  Unfortunately, this is where my nostalgic bias become a hindrance.  The original Gali set was thankfully no Roodaka, but it did make a few minute design choices to give her a more unique feminine appearance.  This Gali doesn't have that... again, she strikes me as rather bland and same-y, with very little about her letting her stand out from her brothers.  This is also the only instance where I feel that the mask is unrecognizable; while I do see influences here and there from the Kanohi Kaukau, the Mask of Water just strikes me as being too sharp and angular.  She's a decent set, don't get me wrong... it's just that, when I look at her, Gali is not what comes to mind.
  6. Lewa.  Poor, poor Lewa.  I'm simply not at all a fan of his color scheme of green and silver and dark grey with gold highlights and an occasional cameo of yellow.  I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish with the spiked shoulder armor, either, but it looks gaudy.  Maybe they were trying to make him look more tribal in accordance with his new assignment to Jungle instead of Air, and if they had gone all-out on that idea it could have potentially been really neat, but by themselves, these shoulder blades (pun unintended) just don't work.  Now, here it's worth noting that, between Lewa and Gali, I do see Lewa as more recognizable, with familiar shapes in the Mask of Jungle and the return of his axe as a primary weapon.  However, in this case, nostalgia is not the deciding factor between the two; I find Gali's appearance to be okay but bland, while Lewa just strikes me as too messy and too jumbled.  Of course, the question we're all wondering is... how will Onua save Lewa this time?

There.  I finally got off my lazy bum and wrote up this list.  That wasn't so bad, was it?

And, taking a peek at Aanchir's post above me, it's interesting to see that my personal rankings of each set of three (Kopaka/Tahu/Onua and Pohatu/Gali/Lewa) match the average votes, even if I ranked Pohatu lower than Tahi and Onua.

Edited by PeabodySam
  • Upvote 1

I will give you guys my list, with information on my reasoning.

1: Tahu

Tahu has been my favorite since The very beginning. I like his element, mask design, general appearance, and weapons. I think his mask is the most improved, but still being obviously designed after the original Hau. When I first saw his picture, I thought the golden swords looked neat, but that he needed more fire looking swords. After finding his Lava board also doubled as larger swords, I was certain. He is, in my mind, number One.

2: Kopaka

Kopaka is a nice number two on my list. I like how his mask is the  closest to his original design. I also like that now instead of a sword, he has a spear. His shield design is also nice, instead of his usual circular appearance. I think his shoulder armor looks slightly odd, but oh well.

3: Lewa

I at first did not like Lewa's new design much, but it grew on me. I like that his axes with the lower blades are a mix of his Mata and Nuva weapons. His mask looks slightly odd, but I like it more than before.

4: Onua

Onua has an interesting design. He is very bulky, and the purple is neat. The hammer looks like it could destroy anything. I like that his mask is still familiar, and his build looks interesting

5 tied: Gali

Gali has a nice new Mask design, and her mask has been well improved, but she has very little in common with her original design. Her trident is pretty nifty, but I'm not sure what to call her larger weapon.

5 tied: Pohatu

Pohatu is a very neat new design. He no longer has a heavier lower body, and has returned to using brown instead of orange. I also like his new boomerangs, which is very different from the old equipment. the arms having different colors gives him an interesting appearance. 

I don't dislike any of the designs, but I certainly like some more than others. I am hoping to eventually get all of the sets. Thank you for reading.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

• 3 weeks later...

1)                  Tahu

best)             Pohatu

first)              Onua

foremost)      Lewa

leading)         Kopaka

one)              Gali

Well realistically it's probably closer to: Onua, Kopaka, Tahu, Gali, Lewa, Pohatu.

But Gali, Lewa, Pohatu look less 'generic' than Tahu to me...

There is a lot going on with each of them which makes it hard to decide, even with the Protectors I struggle to come to any decisions beyond that I'm not a huge fan of 'projectile' 'tools' as opposed to mêlée 'tools'...

Toa > Lord of Skull Spiders > Protectors

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

1. Tahu
  2. Kopaka
  3. Pohatu
  4. Gali
  5. Onua
  6. Lewa

Tahu is my favorite because everything about him is awesome. He has an awesome color scheme, mask, design, function, weapons, adrenaline mode, and he's everything I had hoped he would be and more.  :)  :hau:

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

1. Kopaka: Now THAT is KOPAKA!

2. Onua: YUP. THAT'S ONUA!

3. Tahu: WATER IS FOR WIMPS INDEED!

4. Gali: SHE ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE A SHE WHEN COMPARED TO THE OTHERS!

5. Lewa: HE CAN FLY, HE CAN FLY, HE CAN FLY, HE CAN FLY, HE CAN FLY!!! (from Peter Pan... :P)

6. Pohatu: Compared to the others, he looks too much like an afterthought. I'm ashamed...

• Upvote 1

1. Kopaka: Simply perfect, his spear is nicely designed and his shield looks like it could actually protect him, his legs aren't too slime nor too bulky they look just right, his body is perfect and fits very well with the rest of the model, and to top it all off perfect shoulder armour.

2. Onua: He's very close to Kopaka in terms of quality, his hammer is magnificent and his body is perfect for the tough guy of the group, his feet match perfectly and his arms go nicely with the body.

3. Tahu: He's just plain awesome, his swords his body he's just all around cool, but among the bigger sets he just doesn't stick out as much.

4. Lewa: Nice axes, decent arms and legs, I especially love those spike things on his shoulders.

5. Gali: She's good but she doesn't stick out much for me, I mean the axe is cool and all but I just think there was more that they could have done with her.

6. Pohatu: Decent but really the main selling point is those jetarangs, beyond that the model itself is just the basic toa model for this year, and his colour scheme just can't decide what the main colour is.

It's time to move on.

1. Onua. Muh favourite Toa is still my favourite. Also purple.

2. Pohatu. Liking the color choice and the solid build.

3. Lewa. The weapons are cool, and overall pretty nice.

4. Gali. I like the new axe part, and Azure is pretty vibrant of a color.

5. Tahu. The set delivers, but it seems to be a little generic.

6. Kopaka. I think the gold and white slightly clash, and Chima can keep it's Trans-arms IMO

Edited by Rider Of Spiders

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

-Lewa

-Pohatu

-Kopaka

-Gali

-Tahu

-Onua

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

• 2 weeks later...

For sure, Gali and Tahu are top tier. They pretty much did a perfect job at capturing what made the first few years so great. Gali has that feminine diver look (Plus her mask design is probably the best this year IMO), and Tahu looks like he's ready to lead the pack with his gold armor. I'd say they're tied for best, but if I had to pick one over the other, I'd say Gali wins, because 1) She's one of the few feminine-looking sets we've ever gotten, and 2) Everything just works. Tahu has some small flaws (His shin armor, his back swords, and his gold shell armor placement in some parts), but Gali has little to no problems whatsoever (Except her giant weapon, but even that can be cut down in adrenaline mode).

Next up is Kopaka. I'm digging the mountain climber look, but there are 4 problems: First, his gold armor. Whenever I see gold and white together, I tend to think of Takanuva. Fortunately, the trans-blue parts help alleviate that problem, and we get a Kopaka who looks as sophisticated and cool as ever. Second, his weapons. I'm okay with the ice spear, but the shield is what kills it for me. It's nice that they double as skis, but I would of prefered a more rounded shape, instead of one that's so long. Third, his shin armor is too big. If it were a little smaller, I wouldn't complain, but instead we get a Kopaka who looks like he's wearing oversized leg warmers. Finally, stickers. There's nothing more frustrating than having stickers peel after a few years, not to mention applying them in the first place. Despite all this, Kopaka still looks great.

After that, I'd have to say Onua. At first I was turned off by him mixing 4 colors (GSBP), but after a while he's started to grow on me. The gold and silver somehow works together, and in fact it ends up complimenting the purple and black. Not to mention, he's now super bulky and has an awesome hammer. My only real complaint would be his shovel claws and that he's a little too bulky.

5th is Lewa. When I first saw him, I fell in love with him, but after seeing more close-up pics/reviews of him I'm not so sure. Sure, I'm digging the khaki pants/fur coat look, and the color scheme is nice...but there's something about him that doesn't sit too well. Maybe it's the giant axes that he's holding too close to the blades, maybe it's the new mask design that barely resembles his classic one, or maybe it's because his head movement sucks in general. There's just a lot about him that makes me think "Nuh uh", and makes me consider passing on him altogether.

Finally, Pohatu. Despite being my first Bionicle set, I'm just not feeling it with this version. What's wrong with him, you ask? It's easier to list what's right: his boomerangs and metal arm look kinda cool. Besides those two, there's nothing right with Pohatu. His color scheme is bad (Trans lime and brown? Really, Lego?), his mask looks too big on his head (Which I guess is poetic, since the original Pohatu's mask looked too small), his build is too basic, he has so few pieces to justify paying 15 bucks for him, and his adrenaline mode looks silly (He's basically flying on roller skates). He's not necessarily bad as a set, but compared to the other Toa he's definitely the worst.

Overall, I'm excited for the new sets, and I hope the summer wave is even better than winter.

Edited by Zippo

why is this happening

1. Tahu, I love the style of the Kanohi Hau and I've been collecting Tahu sets for a while.

2. Kopaka, right below the master of fire. He brings back his classic appearance with quite a good amount of gold. His weapon functions are quite nice to me.

3. Gali, I really like her mask as well as her initial structure. She doesn't seem to suffer from the man-look syndrome she used to have.

4. Onua, not bad. Pretty awesome but I don't like how his arms look a bit weak.

5. Pohatu, nice mask, nice boomerang things, but I don't really like how he looks less buff.

6. Lewa, the mask doesn't look like his original 2001 counterpart and his weapons overall don't look very nice.

Toa Inika Jaller and Matoro would like a word with you. :P

Got me there :v However, they awkwardly stand out on Kopaka. Jaller and Matoro had their upper arms and thighs supporting the color scheme, but Kopaka's other trans parts are under thick armour.

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

1. Kopaka (the colorscheme is a little bit meh because of the transparent-blue but his big shield weapons make up for it, they can become snow skiis, a board like tahu's with a added spear for defense and massive twin blades)

2. Onua massive and bulky with very original weapons

3.Pohatu

4. Gali  She has great weapons and mask but the blue and silver is just arrghh, it's like that rancid gali mistika colorscheme from 2008 back to haunt us.

5. Tahu I really want to like him...i do, he's amazing but the lower leg armor/shin plates are gonna make him looks so awkward when you look at his backside.

6. Lewa just no...I just cant begin to describe this mess, he just looks like he slipped of a tall mountain and couldn't be rebuilt properly because his "injuries" after he was rescued from a tree he crashed into.

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

Tahu- All around most polished and consistent.

Onua- There's so many things I love about this one.

Gali- Amazing color distribution and good build.

Kopaka- Looks cool, lots of playability, but stupidly designed legs that hinder posability greatly.

Pohatu and Lewa are kind of a tie, for me. They both have strong suits, and their weaknesses aren't anything particularly damning (can I say that in this context?). They're still great figures. All of them are, some are just even better than others.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/