Legacy

Uncle K.

Oh dear lord, if this is what you count as a sketch, then I would be amazed to see what you count as a full image. I mean so much detail... and that fact you did it quickly? Blows my mind.

But really I love the detail you put into this, and how Lewa (2015) has a much more mechanical look than lewa mata, it is a nice difference other than size and design. 

Also took me sometime to find the uncolored leaf, but was fun to find.

Edited by Voxumo

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Honestly love you style the more of it I see, all the little details really bring the designs together, for both Lewas (or is it just Lewa?).  The pistons, the gears, the little tubes, and pretty much how you've managed to take the implied connections and movement for the otherwise static armor pieces and give them a functionality that's believable.

Also Little Mata Lewa is adorable so there's that.

(I really could go on and on about the value and coloring and texture but alas I don't have the time.  You've got a way with rendering metallic objects.)

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Sketch? That's pretty darn amazing for a sketch. I actually love the size difference. Almost symbolic of how the Old Bionicle is fading away into the past and the BioNEWcle is up front and at large....

Actually, now that I think about it, that's depressing. :P Let's not think like that.

Still a great piece of artwork, though!

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Well well, look who it is! Alright everyone, you can go home, Bionicle 2015 is official now. Unkle K has drawn it.
I won't be the first or the last to say it: my goodness, the details. All the little rivets and screws and joints, though what really gets me are those little green sections at the finger joints. I mean, come on, that's just going overboard. I find the way you've handled the yellow lower legs, and the feet, interesting. Maybe it's just the colour, but it sort of reminds me of construction equipment, like something you'd see on an excavator, from the future. Not in a bad way, mind, it might be a look worth exploring further. I find it kind of funny that you consider this sketchy, considering it involved a basic shape sketch, a cleaned lineart layer, flat colours, and shading (including the process image was a nice touch, by the way). I guess it goes to show how much work you put in to the pieces you consider to be full, polished illustrations. Though, otoko-lewa's left arm sort of bugs me; it feels like it should point away from the viewer more, and the lower arm shouldn't be at a right angle to the viewer, or perhaps it shouldn't be parallel to the top of the page. But, that's fairly minor, I'm pretty sure it's perfectly anatomically feasible, it just comes off as a bit flat. Still, liking the concept here, and it's cool to see the first sets of both bionicle lines in one image.

Oh, and it took me ten minutes, but I found that uncoloured leaf!

• Upvote 1

This is probably one of the best pieces of artwork I've ever seen on BZP. 

It's detailed, but still cartoony. It's brightly colored, but realistic. Just wow. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Wow. Love the detail you added into this "sketch". Your interpretation of the new armor pieces are really smooth and they look highly functional. Lewa '15 is definitely more bulked up than his set counterpart, and looks great that way.

Lewa Mata still feels more organic to me, might just be the amount of machinery you rammed into Lewa '15. It looks like Lewa Mata could use Lewa '15 as an Exo-Toa unit, so you got the size down (or would it be better to say, you got the size up?).

And man, I would not want to come across the Jungle Master with those wicked blades. Great idea using the vines to secure them (and his prisoner).

All in all, super fantastic work. Great banner for your signature, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thanks for all the kind comments everybody.

Here's a long post for the comments I had better responses to than "thanks"
to everyone else... thanks.

although he does seem to be nearly falling off the branch, but maybe those robo-toes are stronger than they look.

I would hope so! I imagine the bulk of his weight is in his torso and hips so his center of balance isn't too far from the branch. Maybe his control over plants made the moss animate to life and their little grabby hands are holding him in place?

The pistons, the gears, the little tubes, and pretty much how you've managed to take the implied connections and movement for the otherwise static armor pieces and give them a functionality that's believable.

That's the hardest part, and moreso with the relatively simplistic cladding they use now, but I can make do. I figured since the old Bionicle sets were canonically generally more detailed than the sets (no organs, etc) these guys have a lot more under their armor and between the skeletons than visible. Also I just like to buff them up with a function/form battle: like those dark gray clips around the shoulder ball. I assumed they would be good to catch the arm from moving around too randomly (like if he fell badly on the ground) but they could have looked a lot different, I went with "does it look good" for them. Lewa Mata's armpit is a different example of just modifying the original to function without taking away or adding much to the aesthetic.

Ayup, that is the insane amount of detail we know and love from you. Because overkill is underrated. =)

Such a cool idea for a sketch. Great idea using the vines to tie the Katana to his back and the little spiders are a very nice touch!

I guess that's the idea, haha. The bigger they get, the more complex they have to get... all the way up until the Mata Nui robot which looks like something we used to order off the back of magazines that would grow when put in a cup of water.
The two little details were the most fun parts, I thought the spiders too cute not to (and to further change up the size dynamics) and I've always wanted Toa to utilize their elements in more domestic/everyday situations.

Well well, look who it is! Alright everyone, you can go home, Bionicle 2015 is official now. Unkle K has drawn it.
I won't be the first or the last to say it: my goodness, the details. All the little rivets and screws and joints, though what really gets me are those little green sections at the finger joints. I mean, come on, that's just going overboard.

Lol I've done separated finger joints before, though I have been refining how I assimilate Bionicle parts aesthetic with real world functions and physics.

I find the way you've handled the yellow lower legs, and the feet, interesting. Maybe it's just the colour, but it sort of reminds me of construction equipment, like something you'd see on an excavator, from the future. Not in a bad way, mind, it might be a look worth exploring further.

That was definitely the intention. The new Toa take so much ancestry from Hero Factory that I feel they would incorporate more modern mechanics in their appearance. (Ironic then, that the knees are the most illogical part when it comes to realistic physics, without some wacky sliding action his kneecaps will have a hard time making room for the straightened leg. Like "what does that middle spring do? How much torque is in a hinge joint??" Get around that by just imagining Lewa never stands up straight)

I find it kind of funny that you consider this sketchy, considering it involved a basic shape sketch, a cleaned lineart layer, flat colours, and shading (including the process image was a nice touch, by the way). I guess it goes to show how much work you put in to the pieces you consider to be full, polished illustrations.

Well I did each step quite quickly. There's a reason I work large; when you zoom out you can't see nearly how messy my lines are (my hands have been permanently shaking since I was seven or so, it takes a few tries per line for the most part, but I am quick and my other fingers are locked onto the undo hotkeys.) Most of my real work (when I'm not taking classes) is boring and stuff I'm not allowed to put on social media but eventually when projects are done some of it might get to my DA page. It's not exciting or anything though!

Though, otoko-lewa's left arm sort of bugs me; it feels like it should point away from the viewer more, and the lower arm shouldn't be at a right angle to the viewer, or perhaps it shouldn't be parallel to the top of the page. But, that's fairly minor, I'm pretty sure it's perfectly anatomically feasible, it just comes off as a bit flat. Still, liking the concept here, and it's cool to see the first sets of both bionicle lines in one image.

Oh, and it took me ten minutes, but I found that uncoloured leaf!

I viewed it as taking the left shoulder and raising it above 90o and making the back of the hand point to the right. It works, but it was a dumb choice to have it aligned perfectly with the top border. I got lazy and had to skimp somewhere! Also see: uncolored leaf

Wow. Love the detail you added into this "sketch". Your interpretation of the new armor pieces are really smooth and they look highly functional. Lewa '15 is definitely more bulked up than his set counterpart, and looks great that way.

Lewa Mata still feels more organic to me, might just be the amount of machinery you rammed into Lewa '15. It looks like Lewa Mata could use Lewa '15 as an Exo-Toa unit, so you got the size down (or would it be better to say, you got the size up?).
And man, I would not want to come across the Jungle Master with those wicked blades. Great idea using the vines to secure them (and his prisoner).

All in all, super fantastic work. Great banner for your signature, too.

I like that idea. Too bad in real life it is not really feasible, but it's fun to imagine! If I ever do another Toa set or something that could be funny to incorporate. And yes, I'm pleased with the banner but I didn't plan on doing one so the eye line is just kind of dumb when cropped like that. Without the rest of the negative space they are just staring at each other's chins.

Again thank you all, unfortunately it will probably be a while until I have time for more art, probably after the actual sets come out.... ugh. Back into the woodwork because I have little else to contribute haha. haha  hahaha

I love this! This is awesome! Awesome work! Although it's strange to see that Lewa Mata is smaller than Okoto Lewa (probably because of their set sizes?), the picture makes me feel that you are drawing what it appears to be a crossover of both Lewa's. I love to see that, too!:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Thank you, sir, for drawing eight-legged spiders/scorpions.

Incredible art. Great concept. I love the play with the difference in size between 2015 constraction figures and our beloved 2001 toys. I always thought it was amusing that the Mata were like Matoran beside any post-2006 Toa. For that matter, they were about the size of the 2008 Matoran, and next year's Protectors will probably be that size too. Things sure have changed since I was young . . .

You, sir, keep up the great work.

Vale, Nuile :smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

D'oh. I was excited to see this, but it looks like majhost is down once again. Lewa's head looked great on the front page, at least :P

Edit: Woohoo, now I see it! For a "quick sketch," this is fantastic. It hurts my head to try and visualize myself putting this much detail into my own doodles.

I've already pointed this out once before, but I must say it again: you, sir, are talented.

Edited by TBK

sig8.png

Hey, this is really cool! Loving all the mechanical detail.

The one thing that jumps out at me as a problem is that his right arm kind of blends into the detailing of his legs. I'd try enhancing the shadow beneath the arm to create a more visible separation.

This is not a quick sketch. This is a work of art. Yet, what you might call a big complicated project intrigues me and makes me wonder just what you could draw with the level of skill you have.

Anyway, I love the detail and size comparison of the two! It looks like a pretty nice scene as well. Good job!

Found the uncolored leaf in less than a minute. I'll accept my trophy now. :D

mindeth the cobwebs

What makes this piece truly enjoyable is the emotive layer. You summed it up yourself, so I don't really have to explain what I'm seeing. It's very clear, and because of that, the humour is readily felt. It's simply a pleasure to look at at first, and then you get to pay closer attention to the incredible detail!

APlayofLight_zps1888c63b.jpeg

Part One of the Chrysalis Saga

By Takuta-Nui

This is a great piece of art. I really like all the details you were able to draw on both Lewa's. I also like the color scheme on both of them. Its a beautiful green that I like a lot.

This may sound weird, but I like the little edges you put on Lewa Mata'a feet. They also look like pointed toes, if you will. They aren't on the set, but I still think they are neat in that they would helpful for Lewa Mata to have when he would move through the trees. Just though I would point that out.

I don't have any nitpicks with this. Great job making this artwork! B-)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my gosh, this is amazing! The colours are so vibrant and I love how you've styled 2015!Lewa, especially his blades. Love how they're tied to his back with vines. And little Mata Lewa is adorable. Lovely!  :D  :D  :D  :D

we are the granddaughters of the witches you weren't able to burn

This is truly amazing - I really, really like it. The detail on both versions of Lewa is very impressive, and I like the crossover idea in play here (although I really hope it never happens officially). It would be awesome to see similar scenes for the other members of the team, but for now I shall be just fine admiring this piece of art.

• 3 weeks later...

Something about the new Lewa mask seems... very Michael Bay Bumblebee face... but I do like the coloring style reminds me of story book art. 

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

• 1 month later...

Wow thank you again everybody. I finally get around to replying to a few posts here...

Lewa is my spirit animal

Rock on

Hey, this is really cool! Loving all the mechanical detail.

The one thing that jumps out at me as a problem is that his right arm kind of blends into the detailing of his legs. I'd try enhancing the shadow beneath the arm to create a more visible separation.

I agree completely. One of the problems to committing to the shading style was omitting light/dark extremes. I hope that the arc of both arms and color distribution help a little.

I love the artwork! I really hope you make the rest of the toa mata meeting their newer counterparts!

Eh eh eh eh eeh eee eeeeeee

This is a great piece of art. I really like all the details you were able to draw on both Lewa's. I also like the color scheme on both of them. Its a beautiful green that I like a lot.

This may sound weird, but I like the little edges you put on Lewa Mata'a feet. They also look like pointed toes, if you will. They aren't on the set, but I still think they are neat in that they would helpful for Lewa Mata to have when he would move through the trees. Just though I would point that out.

I don't have any nitpicks with this. Great job making this artwork! B-)

I give most of the mata feet the little toes because I think they need them for balance. I think the Okoto Lewa has them because I was imagining one of those Hero Factory feet pieces that has the giant square toes.

This is truly amazing - I really, really like it. The detail on both versions of Lewa is very impressive, and I like the crossover idea in play here (although I really hope it never happens officially). It would be awesome to see similar scenes for the other members of the team, but for now I shall be just fine admiring this piece of art.

Eh eh eh eh

I know it won't happen for real... but Lewa is the first Toa we plan on getting and he's going right next to his original version.

Something about the new Lewa mask seems... very Michael Bay Bumblebee face... but I do like the coloring style reminds me of story book art.

Alas, I can't change the official mask, and I tried to stick as close to it as possible with the exception of a few extra face "segments." And thanks, I did try to keep it light and happy without severe textures or lighting. :-)