Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

IC: The Thernian ship locked on to the coordinates, and began descending into the atmosphere of the planet, it would almost look like a shooting star from below. The ship slowed as it came into view, closing in on its destination. as its main thrusters powered down, its miniature foward and vertical ones temporarly crackled to life, bringing it to a halt in the air above the landing platform, before finally lowering and touching down on the surface. The Thernians were glad to see that the planets atmosphere had a similar composition to their own, and thus didnt have to wear any breathing equipment. a small ramp unlatched from the side of the craft as its Captain, along with several crew and guards stepped through the airlock and out onto the pad, some stretching their wings a little after being in the cramped interior of the ship for so long. Eager to meet the delegates, Vezzar took little notice of what he would later remark as a beautiful landscape, looking like it had come from a great painters imagination. Vezzar stood almost two feet taller then the approaching Kalarii, although he didnt take much note of this. With crewmember holding a portable translator, the Captain simply said "Greetings!", while his crew behind him stared at the other species in wonder and awe. --Akaku: Master of Flight

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)

IC: The Alizarin were both astonished and excited to be receiving a message from another world, another sentient species. It had been a theory for years, ever since they'd first considered going into space, but now it was confirmed!The pilots flashed their tentacles different colours at their fibre-optic systems, relaying instructions to the ship. They were repeated the number sequence given to them, though in their communications it would appear as a series of greys steadily getting paler

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC: "You are meeting, speaking, exchanging information with a person. If you would like to suggest that this meeting be carried out on the ground, we would not be opposed."

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Three planets, one of which is making a dreadnought, one is making a colonizer, and one is churning out frigates one at a time. So I'm good. IC: Licht frowned as he read the requisitions that sat on his desk. He knew that the Appropriations Committee would be examining the same requests, but thankfully he would be able to block their approval if they approved the whole set of projects. The military was requesting more money to begin construction on a top-of-the-line aerospace fighter (which most Osalieli considered a waste of money--their tactical doctrine didn't include space combat against fighters. Licht suspected they'd need to modify that doctrine at least somewhat). He decided against investing in that project yet--he'd reconsider once they didn't have to worry about their interstellar military projection. The Office of State wanted money to prepare for first contact and establish protocols for the inevitable meeting with other species. He decided to decline that as well--he'd be making first contact personally, which hopefully would give him enough of a stamp in the mind of the people that he'd secure his second term three years from now without a problem. There were several other requests, whcih he approved, but those two were egregrious and would not pass his veto. He quickly wrote a message to the Commander General of the General Staff, asking him to delay the mass production of the Xiphon, and to find an Admiral appropriate for the command of the Infinitus. His next message was to the Director of the Office of State, instructing him to work with the military in preparing an honor guard for an alien head of state, one that would appropriately express Osalieli power. Licht would meet with diplomatic analysts to determine a standardized first contact protocol once they had a taste for it, and for a time when Licht could not afford to meet every new species that sprung up. The third was to the Chairman of the Appropriations Committee, asking him to not pass the legislation to fund the Xiphon or the first contact package. The fourth and final message was to the Aspera vessel Mother of Invention, personally instructing its captain in his capacity as Chancellor to avoid first contact at all costs. It would return from its system surveying to safer zones, closer to home or in the opposite direction from this new player on the board. :w:

OOC: Okay, I've changed it so that my colonizers are headed towards 1-44, 1-45, 1-46, and 1-47. Is that permissible? If 1-44 and 1-45 are too far away, I'll just send the colonizers to 1-47 and 1-46.

Edited by TheMightyFighty

calvin_and_hobbes_under_tree.jpg

OOCI believe I can start this in OOC so... ~Homeworld has begun production of 1 colonizer; ETA one week~1-39 has begun building 3 starbases, Protector class; ETA one week~1-2 has begun building 3 starbases, Protector class; ETA one week.

Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC(a10): The Kalarii senator, Terues Nelukana, bowed as he greeted the Thernian explorers. He wore a dark blue silk tunic with silver lining and was flanked by a pair of Kalarii asteis (soldiers)."Welcome to the Kalarii Federation world of Torios," he said, opening his arms wide. "Off to the side an Archive video crew sat recording the exchange."Now do you have any specific requests?" asked Senator Nelukana.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Ic (A36): The High-Minister of Science and Technology paced around her dimly lit office, examining the data gathered from the launch. Flipping through several ink-covered sheets she came across what she was looking for.Interstellar Jump Outcome - - -> SuccessExperimental Repulsion-Engine: 2.02.3 Efficiency - - -> 80.22%Experimental Jump-Drive: Alpha 1.0.1 Efficiency - - -> 44.03%The Minister smirked, they had done it. Relieved that the test was triumphant she relayed the news to her affiliates and allowed herself to have a shot of champaign before retiring for the night.It's the dawn of a new age, here's to progress!Ic (A7): Flaring into focus the Forschung class vessel came to a stop. Immediately the crew shut off all non-critical systems and ran dark. Two minutes went by and they began to restore power to various scanning systems. Images flooded their minds as they took in the surroundings, they certainly weren't orbiting their home-star any longer. The mission had succeeded. The team quickly identified the planets in the habitable ring and aligned themselves with the sun at their back to mask any signal they would make. Stealth measures in place, the Hamara activated all of its scanners to search the system for any signs of life.Ooc: Tired Veeci = weak Ic...

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

OOC: I just ran the numbers on the Starbases I'm cranking out, and with a Carrier bay added to each of them, that leaves the total number of fighters for a single base at 30. With nine bases (3 per planet), that's 270 fighters in total once everything's built. Rather a formidable planetary defense system. Also, Xom, how does the cost-modifier of an extra carrier bay work for Starbases? Does it move it up by one total, or one for each Starbase? If it's the former, no problem - at a total cost of six, that's most of my available industrial output, but it's doable. If it's one for each, though, then the modifier-cost alone equals my full industrial output.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Fighty: That should work Shadow: As I am your king, I would state that it applies, one for each, for it takes one industry point to upkeep ten additional fighters. IC: "That was precisely what I had in mind." Seela said, even as she saved "literal minded? this one is..." into her implants. "Would you like to invite us to your territory, or come to us?" OOC: Five hour rehearsal, the other Faeries are terrible. >_<

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC:Updated it.

Username: Onewa25Species Name: Thol'u'kanDescription: Chutuhulu-like, Democracy. Only seeing them makes you think they are evil, but it is not. They are quite freindly.History: The (written) history of the Thol'u'kan harks back to 1000 years ago, where Alkazon was divided in four country's.The first country, Zator, is the most warlike one. They are more than eager to start a war without any reason, only to counqer land.The second country, Laisa, is the most cultural of all. Once they stopped a war with no weapons. They are peacelovers.The third country, Zakom, haves the greatest science knowlegde of all. They are on the jumping board to invent faster then light travel.The last country, Tengen, is... well a jack of all trades. They have the most willpower of allAfter 900 years peroids of small wars, Zator invaded Zakom. Every country was dragged in war, and eventualy, the winners was......Tengen and Laisa. Or rather, the united Republic of Tengen and the monarchy Laisa. Tengen and Laisa agreed to work on the hyperspace travel. A small country(New Zakom) helped them. Zator was meged into Tengen.And so, it begins......Homeworld Name: Alkazon Homeworld Location: 24, Sector 1.Map Color: Purple.Four Colonizer Ships as starter( They did not colnize any planet before the war. No, not even Zakom.)Class Name: ZlamClass Size: SmallClass Function And Description: All-rounder. They have no real strengths, but also no real weaknesses.Class Weapons: 5 Lasers, 3 beam cannons.Class Name: GeakanClass Size: MediumClass Function And Description: A true combat ship, it haves a lot of guns. It makes it very slow, howeverClass Weapons: 5 cluster beam cannons.Class Name: ShotokaClass Size: MediumClass Function And Description:Class Weapons: 5 cluster beam cannons.Class Name: Cha LamClass Size: ColonizersClass Function And Description: Jack of all trade colonizers. Also haves guns to protect in ambushes by small ships. However, they are not builded to go in combat. Class Weapons: 5 cluster beam cannons.Weapon Profiles: Fill this out and add it to your profiles so we know what you're talking about in your ship profiles.Name:Beam Cannons.Weapon Size: Small, medium for cluster of 3.Mechanics: Basicaly a giant laser, it serves as a jack of all trades weapon.Name:Wave-force guns. Weapon Size: Big. Mechanics: Charges up, then shoots a beam that can destroy a group of fighters(or a small ship) in one hit.

8% of the people epically wins with comic making. If you are the 92% that fails at it, copy and paste this into your sig

100% of people here are humans. If you are somehow a matoran, pate this in your sig.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9187

OOC: In that case, it is impossible at this point to build them, so building is cancelled. I find it ironic, though, that it costs several times as much to maintain a station with 30 fighters than it does to maintain one with 20, especially considering the actual industrial cost of building the fighters.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC:"I can only request at this time that we simply stay at peace, as I am but only a captain of my Vessel, and I dont have the authority to make decisions for the entire Thernian Empire. We would like to know if you have any long-range communication systems that we could use to contact our leaders, in which they could sort out any treatys or alliances to take place with your federation in the near future."--Akaku: Master of Flight

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)

IC: "I and my superiors agree that peace is the best choice. Communication info was included with the information package sent to your ship earlier."The Senator paused, then brought up an idea of his own design, "How would you like if we held a public feast on this planet to celebrate this occasion?"

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

OOC: Upgrade of 2-6, 2-4, 2-17 and 2-1 from Colonies to Protectorates: 3 out of 3 days! Yay! Upgrading from Protectorates to Self-SustainingIcterine production on homeworld: 2 out of 3 daysIC: Having transmitted the number sequence back at the mysterious race who had hailed them, the Alizarin on the scouting ship began trying to locate the source of the original transmission. They wanted to know where their neighbours were

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOC: Colonization done: Nov 01 2011 - 07:25 AMNow: Nov 02 2011 6:52 PMSorry, not three days yet.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah. By 3 days, I mean 72 hours, real world time.Shadows: It IS silly. But Fighter Swarms are probably overpowered already.IC:By determining the radius and apex of the cone of EM emissions, the alien ship would be able to easily trace the signal to its origin point; a large transmission system on the third planet's largest moon, usually used as a Network uplink/downlink, commandeered for the sake of contact.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: How are fighter-swarms overpowered, and how is shooting basic math and logic in the face a good way of fixing it?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Fighter swarms are overpowered because they can field so many more guns than any other fleet build. Limiting the number of fighters with industry limits is better than a flat cap.

-Rover

OOC: But multiplying the industry cost of a starbase with a single additional fighter bay by 4 seems stupid. Giving fighters themselves an actual industry cost (which you haven't done) makes much more sense.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Look at the cost of the fighter bay as the cost of the construction and upkeep for the fighters.EDIT: Well my suggestion doesn't really work with starbases since they're so cheap and have fighter bays already.

Edited by Revolutionary Saint Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

OOC: Except that, when added to a Starbase, it multiplies the cost of the base itself by 4, which is stupid. The additional cost is not proportional to the added effectiveness of fighters. As it is, for a quarter of the price, I could put another medium and small weapon on, and still have 10 fighters due to the default properties of Starbases.The cost of fighters should be the cost of fighters. The cost of an empty fighter bay should be the cost of an empty fighter bay.EDIT: Yeah. I'm absolutely fine with the "Fighter Bay=+1 cost" for everything but Starbases, which suddenly become prohibitively expensive with a single added Fighter Bay.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ic (7A): An hour passed and the crew of the Hamara felt it was time to move on. Their mission was to seek out and find the sources of the radio signals from the heavens, not confirm their laws of planetary motion, as important as that was. The scout vessel sling-shoted around the sun and onto a trajectory towards a string of yet un-explored systems, A6-3. A flash of iridescent light flared and the craft vanished.Ic (42A): The mighty Anfänge colonizer roared into the neighboring system, 42A. Quickly the optimal location was chosen for the fledgeling colony to sprout its roots, a large moon orbiting a gas giant just outside the stereotypical habitable-zone. The behemoth breached the atmosphere of the world, glowing red from the friction. A minute after entry a resounding crack reverberated across the moon as the craft landed rather violently.The marvel of Leben engineering was a multi-purpose machine, not only did it terraform the surface, but it also acted as a base of operations for the commune to spread off of. Moments passed from impact and the biological factory began to come alive. Billowing pillars of Methane and Ammonia spewed into the sky out of the beast's back as the ship's claws anchored it to the ground. Stage one of the operation was a success.Ooc: Scout Ship Hamara to 3ASystem 42A is now occupied by the Leben

Edited by Veeci

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

Hrrmmm.I'm considering removing the default Fighter Bay that comes with the Starbase. Makes more sense.Also, EVERYONEThere are a lot more players than I expected in here. For the ease of keeping track, Every Sunday, I want a post of all your systems, their Industry level, and the number and classes of ships you control.Those who remember Interstellar Line, there aren't A Fields and B Fields anymore; please call things Sector 1, System 4, or 1-4.

-Rover

OOC: Aye aye, Capitano.Also I think massive amounts of fighters can be easily countered-- all you need is a good amount of carriers that have there own fighters, and ships with lots of point-defence systems.IC:Vezzar thought about this for a moment. As far as his species were concerned, they loved feasts, and they themselves often had large ones on most holidays."A feast would seem perfect in my eyes, I will be sure to tell my leaders of this as soon as we re-establish a connection with our command."The Captain looked back at his crew members and saw no objections, so he continued:"Back at our 3 populated systems, we had began construction on a couple vessels much like the one we flew in on. I suppose if you approve of it, we could use them, once completed, to bring select people, and perhaps some food of our own to share."One of the captains crew came up to him and whispered something, and Vezzar said:"...I'm afraid we must return to our home for a short amount of time, to deliever all the information we have gathered today, and let our goverment make their decisions. However, a couple of my crew are willing to stay for now, and learn more about your race, if you will let them."OOC: The good thing is Koth, from what ive read, it seems as though the Kalarii and Thernian homeworlds have similar climates, so im going out on a limb here and saying chances are the food that the Kalarii eat probably wouldnt be all that diffrent from the food Thernians eat :P--Akaku: Master of Flight

OOCYeah, as the cartographer it makes my job a lot easier to deal with the maps if everyone posts their locations so I can make sure everything is in order; it makes things a lot easier, trust me.Now, I believe three days is sufficient time for my little ship to of warp-bounced to the the colony... Just don't expect much activity from me until the weekend.IC [Location: Just outside of the system designated '1-8'. Time: 0750 Natsirt Standard Time. Identity: Centralized Artificial Intelligence, Model ‘Unwavering Justice’]"Sir, we have arrived at the system." The AI spoke with a calm tone, as everyone gathered onto the bridge once more. "I have begun first contact procedures."Even as the CAI spoke, transmissions were sent out, a long list of mathematical formulas. Whatever they received in response would tell them how advanced this race was.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Onewa: PM me your profile so we can talk.IC:"2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19." Came the response. But the real message from the Syrrinx was "We Want to talk to you." and the answer was "alright"Elaborations would come.

-Rover

OOCXom, sorry to break this to you, but I didn't warp to your colony, I warped to Koth's xD Note the '1-8'. :Plern 2 reedUnless it wasn't me you're talking to inwhich case ignore my ramblings.

Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png

OOC: That was to TptI

-Rover

OOCFigured it might be xD My apologizes. Though for an RPG with twelve players, this sure isn't moving quite as fast as I'd expect.

voidstars.png

Hrrmmm.I'm considering removing the default Fighter Bay that comes with the Starbase. Makes more sense.

OOC: Still doesn't fix the other issue, you're just solving a completely different non-problem.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

It fixes the discrepancy of "ten fighters on a carrier take up one IP, why don't fighters on Starbases do the same?" which is what we're talking about, isn't it?

-Rover

OOCIf I may chime my two cents, starbases are positioned directly over worlds; carriers are often out doing **** and battling other ships. Thus, there's a bigger supply chain over to the carrier than there is to the starbase, which is orbiting directly over the world so it can be easily resupplied.

voidstars.png

Alternately: Triple the cost of Starbases, so it's one IP per Starbase. I like that better, considering how cheap of a weapons platform they're turning out to be.

-Rover